Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I am going to take the LSAT for the fourth time in June. I have been rejected to nearly all of the schools that I applied to and wait listed at one. I want to be a lawyer. I am taking paralegal classes and I love them and I have decided I am just going to take the test over and over until I get the score I want.

I wanted to hear what peoples study planes were that are in the same position.

Mine is:

Buy test 54-59 and the most recent Next ten LSAT books.

Photo copy all the logic games three times(like the pithy pike guide suggests)

Take a test a week(or at times two) until the June exam and spend the rest of the week going over my mistakes and answers while doing the photo copied logic games.

What are you all going to be doing?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Going to law school.

Sorry, that was mean.

What are your scores? Is it possible that your target for schools should be adjusted? I would think that the first three LSAT's are going to be predictive of the fourth. And, I think many schools will look at a much improved fourth with a grain of salt as they will see the first three.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Honestly, I think 4 scores would be pushing it, especially if they're all in the last 2 years or so. Still, if you really want to improve you need to buy the powerscore bibles and TONS of PTs. Do the PTs under STRICT timing conditions, and then carefully review. The copies of LG thing is important, too. You shouldn't take the test again until you are consistently (at least 5 PTs) 5 points higher than your last score.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby hellokitty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

.
Last edited by hellokitty on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Going to law school.

Sorry, that was mean.

What are your scores? Is it possible that your target for schools should be adjusted? I would think that the first three LSAT's are going to be predictive of the fourth. And, I think many schools will look at a much improved fourth with a grain of salt as they will see the first three.



I got a 145 then 154 then cancel. I didn't sleep before the test that I canceled and I was scoring between 161 and 167 on practice tests at that point. That fact is probably my main motivation to retake.

AsylumPB
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby AsylumPB » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm

has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 pm

AsylumPB wrote:has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.


Not exactly true . . . you can ask a school to sponsor a fourth test, and from what I've heard, most of them will

User avatar
EdmundBurke23
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
AsylumPB wrote:has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.


Not exactly true . . . you can ask a school to sponsor a fourth test, and from what I've heard, most of them will


. . . Not if you have an amputated brain. . . Just kidding! That's good to know:D But I hope I don't have to resort to taking the test a fourth time...

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:Going to law school.

Sorry, that was mean.

What are your scores? Is it possible that your target for schools should be adjusted? I would think that the first three LSAT's are going to be predictive of the fourth. And, I think many schools will look at a much improved fourth with a grain of salt as they will see the first three.



I got a 145 then 154 then cancel. I didn't sleep before the test that I canceled and I was scoring between 161 and 167 on practice tests at that point. That fact is probably my main motivation to retake.



154 really isn't that terrible and could get you into several decent schools. I understand wanting to retake though, since your practice tests were having you do better. I actually got the same on the LSAT as I got on my first ever practice test - a 158. I was really disappointed as I was scoring much better between the two. I used the powerscore course before the first one, then I just did three more practice tests and read the hints for the area I was having the biggest problem with.

User avatar
barry zuckerkorn
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

sibley wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:Going to law school.

Sorry, that was mean.

What are your scores? Is it possible that your target for schools should be adjusted? I would think that the first three LSAT's are going to be predictive of the fourth. And, I think many schools will look at a much improved fourth with a grain of salt as they will see the first three.



I got a 145 then 154 then cancel. I didn't sleep before the test that I canceled and I was scoring between 161 and 167 on practice tests at that point. That fact is probably my main motivation to retake.



154 really isn't that terrible and could get you into several decent schools. I understand wanting to retake though, since your practice tests were having you do better. I actually got the same on the LSAT as I got on my first ever practice test - a 158. I was really disappointed as I was scoring much better between the two. I used the powerscore course before the first one, then I just did three more practice tests and read the hints for the area I was having the biggest problem with.


+1 for powerscore.

I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Weds/Thurs - Variable, timed sections, 2-3 of them.
Friday/Saturday - Partying until 3am (had to keep it early, you know)
Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.
Monday - watch whatever is on Nat Geo, go for a run, do some pull-ups.
Tuesday - Waking up at 8am and taking a timed PT.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.

A big problem with the LSAT is it getting into your head. Can't let a test do that, so be sure to factor things that are fun into your study plan.

Case in point - I was owning RC (-2 or -3 at worst), a week before the test I cut the fun out of my regiment, and on test day I was hit with a -6. It was my first section, and worst section; choked on one passage. If I cared more and wasn't borderline indigent, I'd have retaken. It kept me from the 165 I was expecting. Had I prepped for more than a couple of months, kept my party habits up, may not have happened.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote:I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Weds/Thurs - Variable, timed sections, 2-3 of them.
Friday/Saturday - Partying until 3am (had to keep it early, you know)
Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.
Monday - watch whatever is on Nat Geo, go for a run, do some pull-ups.
Tuesday - Waking up at 8am and taking a timed PT.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.


Timing can be very important. I think it accounted for my 12 point increase. The first exam I was used to getting up at noon. The second exam I was used to getting up at 8. I'm a morning person and easily wake up anyway, but there's something to be said for getting used to doing something.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
AsylumPB wrote:has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.


Not exactly true . . . you can ask a school to sponsor a fourth test, and from what I've heard, most of them will


. . . Not if you have an amputated brain. . . Just kidding! That's good to know:D But I hope I don't have to resort to taking the test a fourth time...

I have a fourth test sponsor. Got to work on limiting test anxiety it is my biggest problem

User avatar
barry zuckerkorn
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm

sibley wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Weds/Thurs - Variable, timed sections, 2-3 of them.
Friday/Saturday - Partying until 3am (had to keep it early, you know)
Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.
Monday - watch whatever is on Nat Geo, go for a run, do some pull-ups.
Tuesday - Waking up at 8am and taking a timed PT.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.


Timing can be very important. I think it accounted for my 12 point increase. The first exam I was used to getting up at noon. The second exam I was used to getting up at 8. I'm a morning person and easily wake up anyway, but there's something to be said for getting used to doing something.


Truth.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby jerzgrl630 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm

sibley wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Weds/Thurs - Variable, timed sections, 2-3 of them.
Friday/Saturday - Partying until 3am (had to keep it early, you know)
Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.
Monday - watch whatever is on Nat Geo, go for a run, do some pull-ups.
Tuesday - Waking up at 8am and taking a timed PT.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.


Timing can be very important. I think it accounted for my 12 point increase. The first exam I was used to getting up at noon. The second exam I was used to getting up at 8. I'm a morning person and easily wake up anyway, but there's something to be said for getting used to doing something.


This is such an underrated strategy. I only took the LSAT once, but I scored higher than I did on any previous PT. I partially credit this with my strategy of waking up early and taking full timed PTs. It helps to practice under real testing scenarios. You don't succumb to nerves as easily when you're used to it.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
sibley wrote:
barry zuckerkorn wrote:I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Weds/Thurs - Variable, timed sections, 2-3 of them.
Friday/Saturday - Partying until 3am (had to keep it early, you know)
Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.
Monday - watch whatever is on Nat Geo, go for a run, do some pull-ups.
Tuesday - Waking up at 8am and taking a timed PT.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.


Timing can be very important. I think it accounted for my 12 point increase. The first exam I was used to getting up at noon. The second exam I was used to getting up at 8. I'm a morning person and easily wake up anyway, but there's something to be said for getting used to doing something.


This is such an underrated strategy. I only took the LSAT once, but I scored higher than I did on any previous PT. I partially credit this with my strategy of waking up early and taking full timed PTs. It helps to practice under real testing scenarios. You don't succumb to nerves as easily when you're used to it.


The June test doesnt start till noon which I am stoked about, so I think I am going to take the practice tests in the afternoon.

I am not very good during the mornings.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

I ordered the LSAT test Preptest 29-38, Test 54, 56, 59 and have test 58, 50,51. Are there any other tests that you all believe are of vital importance




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, christinaxcarrie, dianersg, Earlskies, eyetelyuhwhut, govlife, judill, Kaziende, laurlaur2112, malysh, smashbash, unrelated and 50 guests