The "Why did I apply in January/February/MARCH?!?!" thread.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Do you regret applying in January/February/March?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 274

mebeSajid

Re: The "Why did I apply in January/February?!?!" thread.

Postby mebeSajid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm

I was out of country in December - I wasn't able to get started on apps until early January, and it took me a month to get 15 apps done. Heard back from Santa Clara and UGA (in at both), and UVA (WL'd), but that's it so far. I applied to Emory two months ago, and haven't heard anything since.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm

I've been hearing back like lightning. Over half the schools back - No rejects, 2 WL's, several acceptances. So far, except for a waitlist at Illinois, this cycle has been pretty amazing.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Waiting: Week Six

I feel like I am slowly losing my mind. I have no idea how you October applicants have dealt with it for so long. I think I have carpal tunnel from checking my status checkers and e-mail 9,000 times a day and yesterday I screamed at my sister for checking the mail: "WHY did you check the mail?!? This is MY LIFE we're talking about here!!!!"

So far, I have heard back from 7 of the 26 schools I applied to.

Here's hoping Week Seven rocks!

Good luck to all the others suspended in post-app purgatory!!!!

:|

+1 (5 more to go) terrible.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:19 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I've been hearing back like lightning. Over half the schools back - No rejects, 2 WL's, several acceptances. So far, except for a waitlist at Illinois, this cycle has been pretty amazing.

Lucky. I just heard back from the first school of the 14 I applied to. WL at Texas :( . Decision mailed at Vandy 3/3, Under Review at GULC 3/3, Decision Pending at W&M 2/15, and Under Review/Decision Pending at UVA last updated to 3/1. Hopefully my cycle will pick up in speed and positivity from here on out.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:I've been hearing back like lightning. Over half the schools back - No rejects, 2 WL's, several acceptances. So far, except for a waitlist at Illinois, this cycle has been pretty amazing.

Lucky. I just heard back from the first school of the 14 I applied to. WL at Texas :( . Decision mailed at Vandy 3/3, Under Review at GULC 3/3, Decision Pending at W&M 2/15, and Under Review/Decision Pending at UVA last updated to 3/1. Hopefully my cycle will pick up in speed and positivity from here on out.

WL at Texas with your number? I guess applying late does hurt :( Good luck with the rest. I guess I shouldn't be suprised by similar decisions

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:49 pm

I also took my first LSAT in Dec.

Apllied to 18 schools and have heard from 7
In 5
Out 2

Wish I had applied earlier becasue I got rejected from American when I was at or above their 75%. I also heard their apps were up 60x this year. Havn't heard back from my reaches but I'm not feeling optimistic.
:(
Oh well lesson learned

I also wish I had more time to look at schools before deposit is due. I didn't apply to many local schools. I feel like I will have to rush to make a decision.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:53 pm

mailmanstalker wrote:I also took my first LSAT in Dec.

Apllied to 18 schools and have heard from 7
In 5
Out 2

Wish I had applied earlier becasue I got rejected from American when I was at or above their 75%. I also heard their apps were up 60x this year. Havn't heard back from my reaches but I'm not feeling optimistic.
:(
Oh well lesson learned

I also wish I had more time to look at schools before deposit is due. I didn't apply to many local schools. I feel like I will have to rush to make a decision.

+1

I don't know if I will be able to visit any of the schools I applied to before deposits are due. I am fairly nervous about sending in deposits without having seen the campus. Another disadvantage of applying late.

Best of luck to you on your cycle!! Think positive thoughts!!! :mrgreen:

redraiderette

Postby redraiderette » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Honestly, I applied in mid January, with the latest app going out January 27, and I have heard back from all my schools as of last Friday.

7 :D
2 :cry:
2 :?

I do believe that a few schools ran out of scholarship money, but other than that, I did not have to wait as much for my decisions, and my primary regret is applying to a number of schools I never had any real intention of attending.

I also couldn't do it any earlier because I took the December LSAT, but I don't think the extra 2 weeks between LSAT score release and when I took submitted my apps would have made any difference.

v. dentata

Postby v. dentata » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Me: I applied to my top 3 schools January 8th-ish, the remaining four by January 20th-ish. 168 LSAT, 2.5 GPA (I know, yikes), non-minority female.

So far, in the order they replied (or didn't reply?) to me:

UC Hastings: Rejected
McGeorge: Accepted with honors and $10,000 yearly scholarship (I love you, McGeorge)
USF: Waitlisted for full-time day
Santa Clara (the first one I submitted): No reply, but has been in second review since February 5th. I am sending an LOCI in the next couple of days, or as soon as I get rid of the virus my laptop somehow acquired this weekend.
Golden Gate: No reply
Loyola LA: No reply
Southwestern: No reply
Last edited by v. dentata on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 pm

redraiderette wrote:Honestly, I applied in mid January, with the latest app going out January 27, and I have heard back from all my schools as of last Friday.

7 :D
2 :cry:
2 :?

I do believe that a few schools ran out of scholarship money, but other than that, I did not have to wait as much for my decisions, and my primary regret is applying to a number of schools I never had any real intention of attending.

I also couldn't do it any earlier because I took the December LSAT, but I don't think the extra 2 weeks between LSAT score release and when I took submitted my apps would have made any difference.

I feel the same way. Although, I am a URM and I know our cycles can be fairly unpredictable, so I wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. In retrospect, however, 26 schools was a little excessive.

Congrats on all your acceptances! Have you made a decision yet?

JTX

Postby JTX » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 pm

yall are making me laugh...

started LSAT prep 2 Jan... took Feb LSAT... and applied about, lets see... 96 hours ago!

sometimes grown up life makes a last minute decision unavoidable!

kswiss

Re: The "Why did I apply in January?!?!" thread.

Postby kswiss » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Torvon wrote:
kswiss wrote:I applied to schools all, and I mean all, over the place. I applied the last 2 weeks of January.

For example:

Duke: WL
Idaho (I know): accepted
Depaul: Decision, waiting on mail

In review at Utah, Lewis and Clark, Iowa, WUSTL, Gonzaga, Chicago-Kent, UVA, some others.

I'm an uber-splitter 170+ LSAT, sub 3.0 (3.91 last 6 semesters), strongish softs, white male. I'm getting really sick of refreshing my email and stalking the mailman, though I know I'm going to be for a long time considering my application type and late cycle.

Hope it works out. At least I have Idaho to fall back on, though if thats the situation I might reapply next cycle.

Wow, you must be from Idaho. Only people from Idaho apply to Idaho. (I'm from Idaho too)

No, I'm in UG in Utah. I applied as a safety because I want to be in the northwest. In light of other acceptances I'll be withdrawing from ID very soon.

France121069

Postby France121069 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm

PT applicant
- Applied Jan. 25 to Brooklyn (unfortunately they don't have a status checker -- only a document status tracker)
- Applied Feb 10 to Fordham, went complete Feb 22
- Applied Feb 10 to NYLS, went complete Feb 12

I need someone, anyone, to respond. As a PT-er, does anyone have an idea when I should expect to hear? :mrgreen:

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 pm

I waited so that my transcripts from last semester would be in. Only brought my GPA up by about .1, but I thought that with a 3.1-3.2 GPA (Not sure how LSAC calculated it) showing I could get a 3.6 a few semesters in a row could only help. So far 5 ins, 1 WL and haven't heard from any of the better schools. Of course I wish I applied earlier, but, what are you gonna do?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 pm

applied in late Jan because 2 of my 3 LORs were taking for freaking ever, wish i could've applied earlier, but that's life

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't regret applying as late as I did (to quite a few places). While many people who applied this late were waiting on (hopefully higher) LSAT scores, I was waiting for a change in LSDAS GPA. My wait was worth it, as my LSDAS GPA is now over .5 higher than it was in October.

My one regret is not getting my LORs in earlier. It seems that professors, lecturers, and former bosses have a tendency to forget these things.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

When I went to hand in the form for one of my LORs (the professor actually offered to write it without me asking), he showed me a stack of about 100 LOR forms. Not just for law schools, but also for other grad schools (he is a PS professor). I think asking your professors to write LOR as soon as the finals are over is the best time. My CS professor in contrast wrote mine in 2 days got it in 2 months before the other professor. I don't think they forget, they just have a LOT of them to write and it is only fair to do them in order.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:When I went to hand in the form for one of my LORs (the professor actually offered to write it without me asking), he showed me a stack of about 100 LOR forms. Not just for law schools, but also for other grad schools (he is a PS professor). I think asking your professors to write LOR as soon as the finals are over is the best time. My CS professor in contrast wrote mine in 2 days got it in 2 months before the other professor. I don't think they forget, they just have a LOT of them to write and it is only fair to do them in order.

Oh, I don't begrudge my professors. One of them was kind enough to write one on extremely short notice. The people who said they would write an LOR and didn't were people who didn't have any other LORs to write. Perhaps that was the problem.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:48 pm

pertristis wrote:
r6_philly wrote:When I went to hand in the form for one of my LORs (the professor actually offered to write it without me asking), he showed me a stack of about 100 LOR forms. Not just for law schools, but also for other grad schools (he is a PS professor). I think asking your professors to write LOR as soon as the finals are over is the best time. My CS professor in contrast wrote mine in 2 days got it in 2 months before the other professor. I don't think they forget, they just have a LOT of them to write and it is only fair to do them in order.

Oh, I don't begrudge my professors. One of them was kind enough to write one on extremely short notice. The people who said they would write an LOR and didn't were people who didn't have any other LORs to write. Perhaps that was the problem.

I had asked my con law professor for a LOR and he said, "I know you are already getting a great one (from another PS prof) so I don't really know if another one is going to help". I knew then I would probably not be able to get one anytime soon if at all, so I thanked him and left it alone. I feel like you can judge who would write the better ones because they are usually ethusiastic about it (and not just politely oblige)

the_rad_trad

Postby the_rad_trad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 pm

I've applied to a total of 17 schools anywhere between mid-January and last week. I didn't apply during first semester because I was waiting for my grades from last semester (GPA boost). Definitely needed it. I also couldn't apply to all of them at once because I didn't have the money all at once (close to 2K and I'm a full time student).

Numbers are 161/2.9 (yuck), though the GPA has addendum for it and have had >3.5 the past 4 semesters. Lots of study abroad, languages and student involvement, not so much on the work experience side (at least, not applicable to law school). I am part of a minority group though.

Only heard back from 1 school, Lewis and Clark, to let me know my application is being held for 2nd review if there are any spots after April 15. DR at Pepperdine, waiting for that letter, though I'm going to guess it's WL. In review at UW and Wake Forest, lots more of complete applications/waiting for review.

I hate this.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:43 pm

This has been a quiet week for me. One rejection (GW) and that's it. I thought I'd really start seeing some action this week considering how quickly seat deposits are coming up. At this point, I will probably be sending in my seat deposit to American WCL.

How's it going for everyone else?

And of course, best of luck to everyone still waiting!!!

r6_philly

Re: The "Why did I apply in January/February/MARCH?!?!" thread.

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 pm

1 WL
10 pending

don't apply in Feb if you can :)

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:1 WL
10 pending

I've seen you in the In @ Nowhere thread. Your numbers are stellar and I think you have 10 acceptances coming your way. Just stay positive. In @ Nowhere is a breeding ground for negativity and if you surround yourself with negative people/thoughts, negative results are what you will attract.

BEST of luck on the rest of your cycle and good luck at whatever amazing school you end up in during the Fall :D

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:yall are making me laugh...

started LSAT prep 2 Jan... took Feb LSAT... and applied about, lets see... 96 hours ago!

sometimes grown up life makes a last minute decision unavoidable!

I agree ... I did the same thing because I was working full time and going to school full time (both 1 hour away from where I lived) until late December. LSAT prep was just not in the cards for my last semester. Regardless, I am confident that I will get in SOMEWHERE ... but I know I am not going to do as well as if I had started this whole process over the summer. I just want any news from any school though, I'm getting anxious.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:1 WL
10 pending

I've seen you in the In @ Nowhere thread. Your numbers are stellar and I think you have 10 acceptances coming your way. Just stay positive. In @ Nowhere is a breeding ground for negativity and if you surround yourself with negative people/thoughts, negative results are what you will attract.

BEST of luck on the rest of your cycle and good luck at whatever amazing school you end up in during the Fall :D

thank you so much! I am very positive things will work out just fine :) for everyone

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”