The "Why did I apply in January/February/MARCH?!?!" thread.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Do you regret applying in January/February/March?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 274

td6624

Re: The "Why did I apply in January/February?!?!" thread.

Postby td6624 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 pm

I took the September LSAT and didn't start applying until January 5th. I felt "busy" over the fall, but I should have found time. I probably lowered my chances at Berkeley significantly, and I'm not sure how high they were in the first place. Ha.

Still no rejections though. Heard from Vandy, UCLA, GW, DePaul, and Santa Clara very quickly. Still waiting on Berkeley, Chicago, and Fordham.

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I also had to take the LSAT in December due to personal reasons (my mother in law and a good friend died at the end of summer) -- nothing I could have changed so I guess I shouldn't obsess over it. Anyway, I got 176. I applied to Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo, Cornell, Hofstra and Brooklyn and haven't heard from any. My GPA is 3.70 and I am a bit of a non-traditional applicant as I first came to the U.S. in 2005.

Another way to look at this is that by the time the admissions committee looks at our stuff, other students with scholarships may have already withdrawn and maybe some money is still available. I know I need it like air.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:26 pm

andreea7 wrote:Another way to look at this is that by the time the admissions committee looks at our stuff, other students with scholarships may have already withdrawn and maybe some money is still available. I know I need it like air.

+1

Postby 342848386278 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

td6624 wrote:I took the September LSAT and didn't start applying until January 5th. I felt "busy" over the fall, but I should have found time. I probably lowered my chances at Berkeley significantly, and I'm not sure how high they were in the first place. Ha.

Still no rejections though. Heard from Vandy, UCLA, GW, DePaul, and Santa Clara very quickly. Still waiting on Berkeley, Chicago, and Fordham.

+1. Have nearly identical numbers and am in the same boat. I moved to France last fall and as a result ended up not having time to apply until January (government paperwork inferno + linguistic and cultural adjustment). I'm convinced that my chances are unfortunately completely blown at Berkeley and Penn, but I'm trying to remain optimistic...

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 pm

342848386278 wrote:
td6624 wrote:I took the September LSAT and didn't start applying until January 5th. I felt "busy" over the fall, but I should have found time. I probably lowered my chances at Berkeley significantly, and I'm not sure how high they were in the first place. Ha.

+1. Have nearly identical numbers and am in the same boat. I moved to France last fall and as a result ended up not having time to apply until January (government paperwork inferno + linguistic and cultural adjustment). I'm convinced that my chances are unfortunately completely blown at Berkeley and Penn, but I'm trying to remain optimistic...

And optimistic you should be! I really think that's the key to staying sane through this whole application process: positivity! I'll be sending happy thoughts your way.

And yes, I KNOW, I am going to get blasted by the oh-so-jaded TLS world by saying that positive thinking has any bearing on the process, but it's worked for me so far! :wink:

waverider

Postby waverider » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 pm

The waiting game is harsh.

But at least we can reason (maybe mistakenly so) that we haven't heard anything just because we applied later.

Getting accepted to one target school would making waiting on the rest a whole lot easier.

erhhmm (UF,Tulane, UAZ, Houston, Ole Miss)... take the hint :wink:

Good luck everyone.

At least were all in the same boat

bwana73

Postby bwana73 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:32 pm

I regret applying in January! I have been waitlisted at GULC and UVA with a 175/3.52... Earlier in the cycle people with my numbers were offered money at those schools

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I do regret applying late because I really wanted to go to Berkeley or Penn, and I was afraid I'd only get into safeties. However, I did get into one of my top choices yesterday (UVA), so even though it's not my #1, I feel a lot better now. :)

LessThanLiz

Postby LessThanLiz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 am

I would've liked to apply sooner but unexpected things to pay for came up and I ended up having to use lots of app money then wait to save up a bit more cash. You run with it.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:42 am

Im honestly glad I decided to wait. My retake was 98%ile and I think it was worth the time difference. So far I've had a lot of success - using LSN as a guide Im in/waitlisted everywhere my numbers would dictate. That said, I haven't heard back from the top 10 and don't yet know how will it affect scholarship money, though I've already got a couple of full ride offers from the T-20.

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:47 am

My excuse is the lamest, I already know I'll catch heat but I'll share for the sake of discussion

I had a really bad break up about one month before Sept LSAT which absolutely affected my study, my regular daily routine, and affected my desire to even work on my applications. All I did that semester was socialize, drink, and get with girls. Obviously not what I needed to be doing. Then I took the Dec. LSAT and did marginally better as I started to regain focus. Like someone else said I wanted to have my apps. ready for when i got the Dec. numbers back ... didn't happen though. Finally got my act together right at the end of the semester, finished all my apps, but had a bit of trouble getting LOR's in. Once i got those in the during the 3rd week of January I submitted all my apps (15 total). I def think it hurt at the schools i really wanted to be at which are somewhat reach-ish, and I'm certain from what I'm seeing that it will kill any $$ that would have come my way.

But my new plan is to see how the cards land, if I get into a school that I can see myself being happy at I'm motivated to do the best I can there and knock it out the park to make the most of any opportunity I get. You didn't get $$ b/c you applied late? Work extra hard in school to get a good job and make up that difference :-D

Best of luck to all my fellow late applicants!

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:00 am

Roecyris
Great attitude, I'm adopting. No sense worrying about what we can't control now, just work extra harder in the future.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

roecyris wrote: You didn't get $$ b/c you applied late? Work extra hard in school to get a good job and make up that difference :-D

This is a great attitude until you are working 60-70 hours a week for less than market salary and giving 1-2k/month to student loan companies...

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
roecyris wrote: You didn't get $$ b/c you applied late? Work extra hard in school to get a good job and make up that difference :-D

This is a great attitude until you are working 60-70 hours a week for less than market salary and giving 1-2k/month to student loan companies...

The alternative is what? To be really mad that you didn't get into the school you really really wanted but didn't quite show the proper amount of dedication so you're going to beat yourself up about it and then not do as well in law school just like the poor performance on your LSAT said you would? No no no no friend, their is only one way to handle this situation, grab the bull by horns and give it all you've got. Maybe us late applyers shouldnt get into great schools, maybe we shouldn't get the best jobs, but there is no reason we shouldnt work as hard as we can for at least ourselves.

:-)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 am

I am still waiting to TAKE the LSAT. :x

Can't complain too much since this is already 1 year ahead of my original plan.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:35 am

[/quote]No no no no friend, their is only one way to handle this situation, grab the bull by horns and give it all you've got. Maybe us late applyers shouldnt get into great schools, maybe we shouldn't get the best jobs, but there is no reason we shouldnt work as hard as we can for at least ourselves.

:-)[/quote]

I mostly agree with your post, but I don't think that late appliers should not get into good schools or not get good jobs. Life happens. I am glad I toko the extra time I needed to put together a good application package. And, like you so rightly said, I plan on studying my butt off and getting the best grades I possible can. I may not have the highest LSAT, but I don't believe the LSAT is some kind of life-defining thing. I know I can do well in law school and I plan on doing just that!

Good luck to you!!! I hope you have a great cycle!

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 am

LessThanLiz wrote:I would've liked to apply sooner but unexpected things to pay for came up and I ended up having to use lots of app money then wait to save up a bit more cash. You run with it.

+1. I'm just getting the last of my applications out now. I know I'm at a disadvantage but necessities come first.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 am

phoenix323 wrote:
No no no no friend, their is only one way to handle this situation, grab the bull by horns and give it all you've got. Maybe us late applyers shouldnt get into great schools, maybe we shouldn't get the best jobs, but there is no reason we shouldnt work as hard as we can for at least ourselves.

:-)[/quote]

I mostly agree with your post, but I don't think that late appliers should not get into good schools or not get good jobs. Life happens. I am glad I toko the extra time I needed to put together a good application package. And, like you so rightly said, I plan on studying my butt off and getting the best grades I possible can. I may not have the highest LSAT, but I don't believe the LSAT is some kind of life-defining thing. I know I can do well in law school and I plan on doing just that!

Good luck to you!!! I hope you have a great cycle![/quote]

yup.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Waiting: Week Six

I feel like I am slowly losing my mind. I have no idea how you October applicants have dealt with it for so long. I think I have carpal tunnel from checking my status checkers and e-mail 9,000 times a day and yesterday I screamed at my sister for checking the mail: "WHY did you check the mail?!? This is MY LIFE we're talking about here!!!!"

So far, I have heard back from 7 of the 26 schools I applied to.

Here's hoping Week Seven rocks!

Good luck to all the others suspended in post-app purgatory!!!!

:|

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 pm

because I subconsciously thought I should go to one more year of undergrad

Torvon

Re: The "Why did I apply in January?!?!" thread.

Postby Torvon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am

kswiss wrote:I applied to schools all, and I mean all, over the place. I applied the last 2 weeks of January.

For example:

Duke: WL
Idaho (I know): accepted
Depaul: Decision, waiting on mail

In review at Utah, Lewis and Clark, Iowa, WUSTL, Gonzaga, Chicago-Kent, UVA, some others.

I'm an uber-splitter 170+ LSAT, sub 3.0 (3.91 last 6 semesters), strongish softs, white male. I'm getting really sick of refreshing my email and stalking the mailman, though I know I'm going to be for a long time considering my application type and late cycle.

Hope it works out. At least I have Idaho to fall back on, though if thats the situation I might reapply next cycle.

Wow, you must be from Idaho. Only people from Idaho apply to Idaho. (I'm from Idaho too)

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

I applied late since I wasn't satisfied with my December LSAT score (157). I retook in February (162), but I'm terrified that I'm not going to get in to a good law school, and I'm going to pay sticker price... Ugh.

DoktorZaius

Postby DoktorZaius » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm in a similar boat as everyone else in here, didn't apply until early Feb so I'm eagerly anticipating responses from everywhere. Only Illinois has gotten back to me, where I landed on the waitlist a few days ago.

The trick to the waiting, I think, is to not obsessively check status trackers.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:02 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Waiting: Week Six

I feel like I am slowly losing my mind. I have no idea how you October applicants have dealt with it for so long. I think I have carpal tunnel from checking my status checkers and e-mail 9,000 times a day and yesterday I screamed at my sister for checking the mail: "WHY did you check the mail?!? This is MY LIFE we're talking about here!!!!"

+1. I don't regret applying late since my Sept. LSAT score was way lower than my PT average and now my application is much stronger with a 169 from Dec test (still a point or so lower than PT average). Howwweeever, It is really annoying that my numbers arent worth as much now as they were before and the prospect of $$$ is much more reduced. FWIW I applied to 12 schools between Jan 10-14 then added American and Yale a week later (obv a big reach and a big safety). I've only heard back from 3 schools, GW accepted me within a week, and then last 2 weeks waitlist from GULC and Columbia (thank you rocking softs and TFA!). But yeah the waiting is the worst.

set88

Postby set88 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:35 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Waiting: Week Six

Haha, totally agree. Status checkers and stalking this forum have been monopolizing my life since I submitted my apps at the beginning of February. I wish I'd submitted my apps earlier but I guess at least I got spared the 3 months of fall agony everyone else seems to have had.

I've heard back from 6 of 12.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”