Winter Months Increasing Your West Coast LS Interest?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Has the winter months in the east/midwest/south increased your interest in West Coast schools?

Yes - Get me out of this frozen tundra!
59%
No - I like my seasons
23%
No Difference
18%

Total votes: 56

Illijah

Winter Months Increasing Your West Coast LS Interest?

Postby Illijah » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 pm

I've noticed over the last couple months as the temperature plummeted at my local undergrad my willingness to take a west coast school that is 1-2 spots lower has increased dramatically.

Thoughts?

FunkyJD

Re: Winter Months Increasing Your West Coast LS Interest?

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:46 pm

I live in the Southwest, and may very well end up in a cold weather city if it's in my best interests.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:11 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I live in the Southwest, and may very well end up in a cold weather city if it's in my best interests.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm

I would never leave the northeast

poprox

Postby poprox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

If by "West Coast", you mean the lower 1/5 of the West Coast that is Southern California, then no. If you're talking about any other part of the West Coast (where it also gets cold during winter, but doesn't get very warm in summer), then no. :lol:

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm

IMO, dealing with blistering cold and seasonal depression is a crucial element of any proper legal education. It builds character. :twisted: /Chicago troll /Harvard troll
Last edited by Unemployed on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I would never leave the northeast

really?....i could imagine someone saying i could never leave NYC....but the entire area isn't very desirable to me.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

poprox wrote:If by "West Coast", you mean the lower 1/5 of the West Coast that is Southern California, then no. If you're talking about any other part of the West Coast (where it also gets cold during winter, but doesn't get very warm in summer), then no. :lol:

What other parts of the West coast are you referencing?

SF, Portland, and Seattle all get pretty warm...

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I am not even from San Francisco and have no stake in this (except that I am applying to schools everywhere for next year) but that comment about cold in the winter and the summer was ignorant as hell. http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Sa ... A+USCA0987

^^^ = me being jealous.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:51 pm

No.

/thread

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I would never leave the northeast

+1

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:07 pm

You need to add an option for "Yes, I really don't want to leave the West Coast."

I've been wearing a t-shirt outside for these last few days.

heyyitskatie

Postby heyyitskatie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 pm

The other side of this is "I see the miserable cold of the northeast and am every day more incapable of leaving West Coast." I am currently living in a European city normally known for quite nice weather, but the rainiest winter in months has reaffirmed that I will be unable to permanently establish myself in a city with seasons. Southern California has crippled me.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 pm

I will be leaving the west coast, because all the California schools love GPAs too much :(

poprox

Postby poprox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I am not even from San Francisco and have no stake in this (except that I am applying to schools everywhere for next year) but that comment about cold in the winter and the summer was ignorant as hell. http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Sa ... A+USCA0987

^^^ = me being jealous.

It may be a difference of opinion; I don't consider low 70's to be "warm" (I didn't say it was cold in summer if you carefully re-read my post). That's pleasant, but not warm, weather to me. I can definitely understand that some rare days are warm in the summer there (80 degrees plus), but those are outliers not aggregate weather.

Every time I've visited out there the water is cold, even all the way down into baja (cold current comes from up north). Weather never seems to get warm unless you go inland or down to SoCal. But again, it's all relative. Where I grew up in MN, most ppl thought 70 degrees was pretty hot.

And btw if there was a t14 school in SoCal, then you could mark me down for a big "yes". I'd be out there in a heartbeat.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Weather definitely is a factor in my considerations, so all other things being equal I would definitely like to go to a school in the southwest. (Since all other things aren't equal where I end up remains to be seen).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”