Georgia State University - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaylaw79

Re: Georgia State University - 2010

Postby jaylaw79 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:59 pm

inalilwhile wrote:Got my acceptance today :)

Congrats!!

CaptainSemantics

Postby CaptainSemantics » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 pm

I received my acceptance letter today (Wed Apr 14) as well. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the last folks to be accepted, as I was accepted into the part-time evening program. (That's the least popular, right? I think it was my 4th of 5 priorities I checked off on the app.)

The question about seat deposits earlier is something you don't necessarily have to worry about. My letter states I have until April 26. Yes, somewhat short notice, but not the 15th. I had set aside the $150 just in case anyway. Other important dates to remember:

July 1: Physician certification. (Something I find completely ridiculous, but whatever.)
August 9: Deadline for official transcript with conferment.

I don't know if my LOCI had anything to do with it, as I hand delivered mine on April 8 and my acceptance letter is dated April 12.

But, hey, I got in! :)

inalilwhile

Postby inalilwhile » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks everyone... and congrats CaptainSemantics!

Where did it tell you that you were accepted to the part time evening program? Was it in your main acceptance letter?

I still need to hear back from Emory.. I'm waitlisted. Anxious times, anxious times...

kw74

Postby kw74 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:51 am

For those of you just recently accepted what does your status checker online say? I'm assuming that the status checker is very behind like it has been for me at other schools(both with acceptances and denials).

mlittle5

Postby mlittle5 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Has anyone who's been admitted tried to register for their online student account yet? I tried earlier today and got an error saying my info doesn't match records...kinda got me a bit worried as I am always paranoid about mistakenly sent Acceptance Letters :shock:

sarahd

Postby sarahd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:13 pm

mlittle5 wrote:Has anyone who's been admitted tried to register for their online student account yet? I tried earlier today and got an error saying my info doesn't match records...kinda got me a bit worried as I am always paranoid about mistakenly sent Acceptance Letters :shock:

You should be able to sign in for email and paws, the mylaw stuff doesn't get set up until julyish from what I have been told. I was accepted 4 months ago and paid my deposit January 4th :P and have no memory of what was required or what the time lasp was in terms of setting up the online student account. You may want to try to go through the reset your password stuff.

CaptainSemantics

Postby CaptainSemantics » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 am

@inalilwhile: For me, it states in the first paragraph of my acceptance letter. If you have an acceptance letter that does not state a program, from what I understand you have free reign over what you select. I, however, am only allowed to select part-time evening on my seat deposit form. When I visited the campus for an information session, we were told that full-time slots are filled first, then part-time slots. The more flexibility I had with schedule, the better my chances were at acceptance. (At least that's what I remember; it's been a while.) And, does Emory give you a waitlist position, or are you in the dark? I didn't even get waitlisted, but I was not expecting admittance to Emory. (It's ok, I don't really have the 40K/yr anyway. :P) Good luck!

@kw74: My online tracker status still states "No Decision at this Time." Aside from the odd use of capitalization, it is a bit weird, considering the fact that my acceptance letter is dated April 12. My guess is that they do this so you have the "magical" moment of getting your letter in the mail. (Silly traditions...)

kw74

Postby kw74 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

For those of you who are still waiting for any news from GSU. I just called them and they told me that they will make all decisions by May 1st. My letter from them stated that they would have a decision by 04/15 so I trust their new deadline as much as their old one. The lady that answered the phone today told me that there were no admissions personnel there today who can tell me my current status and that they would not return until Monday. She also stated that the online checker is the first thing to update even before mail is sent. But apparently from previous posters this is not true either. For all you hold/second review people I would appreciate it if you keep me updated with any new info when you find it out.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:50 am

FWIW my status checker changed to accepted and I got a letter later that day (Live in metro ATL area)

SalamiCutter

Postby SalamiCutter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 pm

I applied to GSU Law back on 01/26 and got a completed application email on 02/09. I finally got a reply today stating that I got waitlisted and the latest I would hear back from them is August 9th, which according to the website is Orientation Day. Just some background info: I had a 2.42 LSDAS gpa and a 160 LSAT (retake).

kw74

Postby kw74 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Dinged... Just got my letter today. Dated 041210. For those of you still waiting my status checker still says no decision. Good luck to those of you still waiting.

CaptainSemantics

Postby CaptainSemantics » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am

@kw74: Oh noes! What's weird is that it took so long for the letter to get to you. Granted, I live in Atlanta and I got my letter two days after its date.

My status checker is also out of whack. I'm still waiting for it to switch over after a letter dated April 12th. I gave them a call Friday afternoon, but I think everyone had left for the day. (shrugs)

inalilwhile

Postby inalilwhile » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:35 am

@CaptainSemantics: according to the FAQ that Emory gave wait listers, their WL is not ranked. But a couple of people in the Emory thread seem to think it is, so maybe they know something I don't.

CaptainSemantics

Postby CaptainSemantics » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:19 pm

inalilwhile wrote:@CaptainSemantics: according to the FAQ that Emory gave wait listers, their WL is not ranked. But a couple of people in the Emory thread seem to think it is, so maybe they know something I don't.

Yeah, that seems a bit fishy that they wouldn't rank a waitlist. As competitive as that school is, they would have to. My guess is that they just don't let you know where you are on the list, in case they want to bump someone up.

kw74 wrote:The lady that answered the phone today told me that there were no admissions personnel there today who can tell me my current status and that they would not return until Monday. She also stated that the online checker is the first thing to update even before mail is sent.

Do you happen to remember which phone number you called and/or with whom you spoke? I left a voicemail at 2:30 Friday afternoon (during business hours, according to their voicemail box), and still have yet to hear from them Monday afternoon. Granted, most of that is the weekend, but I would guess that they can catch up with voicemails by the afternoon. :)

mlittle5

Postby mlittle5 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:46 pm

When i called i dialed 4044139200 and spoke with Daneene (spelling?) Steele. She is a 3L that does the tours and works in the office. So, i wouldn't be surprised if she is just as out of the loop as we are with app stuff. Nice person on the phone, though.

CaptainSemantics

Postby CaptainSemantics » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 am

mlittle5 wrote:When i called i dialed 4044139200 and spoke with Daneene (spelling?) Steele. She is a 3L that does the tours and works in the office. So, i wouldn't be surprised if she is just as out of the loop as we are with app stuff. Nice person on the phone, though.

Daneene called this morning to let me know what's going on with the status checker. Apparently, last week, the admissions counselors were out of the office. This is why there is a disconnect between admissions letters and the online status checker. She presumed (of course, it is merely a presumption) that my status checker will change today to "admitted." Then I will be able to do all my CampusID stuff.

Now, this leads me to believe that if you haven't received a letter at this point, there really is no decision for you at this time. The letter seems to be what trumps everything, in terms of both importance and time. I have a funny feeling that at this point you will get a letter before the status checker switches over. But at least that explains why some folks are having to wait a while for their status checker to switch. :)

gutten

Postby gutten » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Is there a facebook page for the entering class for next year? I think it could help to go ahead and get to know some people. Thoughts....

lookingforlaw

Postby lookingforlaw » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:58 pm

gutten wrote:Is there a facebook page for the entering class for next year? I think it could help to go ahead and get to know some people. Thoughts....

I haven't seen one, but I would totally join if there were one!

CaptainSemantics

Postby CaptainSemantics » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm

lookingforlaw wrote:
gutten wrote:Is there a facebook page for the entering class for next year? I think it could help to go ahead and get to know some people. Thoughts....

I haven't seen one, but I would totally join if there were one!

As would I. I'm not super-familiar with the ways of the Facebook. Anyone want to take the reins?

BTW, other folks: my status checker updated! So maybe things are caught up on their end?

gutten

Postby gutten » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:27 pm

I'll bite the bullet and post the address up here soon.

gutten

Postby gutten » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 4971912353

Join on up, it's nothing special, but then again I've never created a group, so suggestions and changes are welcome

inalilwhile

Postby inalilwhile » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm

GSU 2013, woo!

Is anyone that is going interested in environmental law, btw?

moviechicka

Postby moviechicka » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:35 am

I received my acceptance letter today. I was all set to go to Georgia. I even signed a lease in Athens, but I called and they will let me out of it if necessary. I'm suddenly faced with deciding what's the best decision financially, professionally & if I'll enjoy Athens. I love living in Atlanta.

mgbp0

Postby mgbp0 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 pm

moviechicka wrote:I received my acceptance letter today. I was all set to go to Georgia. I even signed a lease in Athens, but I called and they will let me out of it if necessary. I'm suddenly faced with deciding what's the best decision financially, professionally & if I'll enjoy Athens. I love living in Atlanta.

The best advice I ever got about law school came from my parents' attorney.

His advice was that I needed to be happy with and enjoy the city I lived in during law school. Yes it's only 3 years, and you should make sacrifices for a good school and a better opportunity. However- you are going to be miserable a good part of those three years. So when you have a chance to go out and be social, you need to enjoy your surroundings. Moral of the story= it's a bad idea to dislike where you live, it will make your first year unbearable.

lookingforlaw

Postby lookingforlaw » Tue May 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Random call from Dr. George today. I missed it, but she said to call back tomorrow. Any idea what that's about?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”