Which Florida Law school to go to?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Grizz

Re: Which Florida Law school to go to?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm

destroyer wrote:
ram jam wrote:UF>FSU>UM>FIU>stetson>Nova>Flo coastal>a literal bag of douche>Lomax

no way FIU>stetson

Seriously. I expected better from you, ram jam.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:07 pm

rad law wrote:
destroyer wrote:
ram jam wrote:UF>FSU>UM>FIU>stetson>Nova>Flo coastal>a literal bag of douche>Lomax

no way FIU>stetson

Seriously. I expected better from you, ram jam.

Yeah, it gets muddled in the middle. I have heard some goods things from FIU, believe it or not. There are some Stetson grads who head up some large Florida Law firms, but for the price an FIU grad may find themselves with an equal earning power to stetson grads over the long haul. In my opinion, when sorting out schools that are ranked poorly, I would go with state institutions over private. There is just something more legit about a public state university.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:58 am

I'm sorry but Stetson>FIU all day ever day

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:47 am

adh07d wrote:I'm sorry but Stetson>FIU all day ever day

Both are very regional schools, but Stetson seems to be accorded more respect and grads get better jobs in its region (Tampa/St. Pete) than FIU does in its region (S. FL). Regardless of cost, in terms of jobs/prestige, Stetson is the clear winner.

Mary Poppins

Postby Mary Poppins » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 pm

ChrisC wrote:I've never even really seen a St Thomas, Florida Coastal, etc. grad in a firm, so unless you want to go solo, don't go.

Martindale Hubbell reveals many St. Thomas grads employed by law firms as partners as well as associates. In addition, STU grads are judges and also serve in other public service and corporate positions. It's largely a regional school though, and the price tag is high.

http://www.martindale.com

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Mary Poppins wrote:
ChrisC wrote:I've never even really seen a St Thomas, Florida Coastal, etc. grad in a firm, so unless you want to go solo, don't go.

Martindale Hubbell reveals many St. Thomas grads employed by law firms as partners as well as associates. In addition, STU grads are judges and also serve in other public service and corporate positions. It's largely a regional school though, and the price tag is high.

Past hiring =/= present hiring.

Mary Poppins

Postby Mary Poppins » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 pm

rad law wrote:
Mary Poppins wrote:

Past hiring =/= present hiring.

True, but that can be said about any type of company in any industry. The point of my post is that St. Thomas grads are employed in a variety of positions and are not only solos.

Chants

Postby Chants » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:22 pm

I would take Stetson $$ over Miami. IMO, Miami just cannot justify their tuition.

However, if you want better south florida opportunity, consider Miami. Personally, I wouldn't take financial gamble @ 40k/year. Stetson @ 15k/year ftw.

Good luck!

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Mary Poppins wrote:

Holy shit are you some saying that people coming out of a law school get jobs? Imagine that...

Mary Poppins

Postby Mary Poppins » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Mary Poppins wrote:

Holy shit are you some saying that people coming out of a law school get jobs? Imagine that...

Sarcastic remarks tend to flop when you fail to proofread. If you plan to apply to law school, make sure you double check your applications. If you're already in law school, take time to proofread your work.

Anyway, amazing, right? Just because ChrisC isn't aware of any of grads who got jobs doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are plenty of successful people from St. Thomas. Martindale Hubbell is a good resource for finding out where grads land instead of relying on schools' deceiving self reports. :idea:

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 am

The problem with scholarhships is that you normally need at least a 3.0 -3.25 to keep them. Getting this in law school is MUCH tougher than it would have been in college.
Moreover, once you attend a florida state university, you can get in-state tuition during the second and third years with proper planning.

Frankly, I would take these schools in this order: UF>Florida State> Miami or Stetson> FIU ( although if money is a significant problem for you,I might recommend FIU over Miami and Stetson.
> All others

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”