Which Florida Law school to go to? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
allimama2

New

Which Florida Law school to go to?

Post by allimama2 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:43 am

I have currently been accepted to Stetson (with a half tuition scholarship), Nova (with half tuition), and Miami Law. I am still waiting to hear from UF and FSU.

My question is: If I do not get in to UF or FSU, which of the above three would be my better option? I know that Miami is ranked much higher than Nova and Stetson, but these 2 schools did give me scholarships and attending would be more cost efficient. I know each school has its own thing to offer and I have been doing research, but in the end, which would be best to go to? (That is if I dont get in to one of the public schools) I have been reading that Stetson should be ranked because it is afterall a great school, but that it is regional and I dont know if i want to stay in Tampa (I have lived there half of my life) and I want to eventually move and practice law in South Florida.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Re: Which Florida Law school to go to?

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spearnreel

New

Post by spearnreel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 am

Right now the red snapper and all shallow water grouper are shut down in the gulf and SAFMC are trying to shut down all reef fish on the Atlantic side during 2010. We (GOM) get a pretty decent run on kingfish spring and fall and other pelagics head towards the panhandle when the water starts to warm. The east coast seems to get hamered a little harder. Any chance there is a LS in the Bahamas...pretty good fishing there all year long and not highly regulated for Bahamian residents. No matter where you end up going...tight lines!

Chelios

Bronze

Post by Chelios » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 am

spearnreel wrote:Right now the red snapper and all shallow water grouper are shut down in the gulf and SAFMC are trying to shut down all reef fish on the Atlantic side during 2010. We (GOM) get a pretty decent run on kingfish spring and fall and other pelagics head towards the panhandle when the water starts to warm. The east coast seems to get hamered a little harder. Any chance there is a LS in the Bahamas...pretty good fishing there all year long and not highly regulated for Bahamian residents. No matter where you end up going...tight lines!
:lol:

I've visited UF and UMiami in the past two weeks, and I was actually quite a bit more impressed with Miami. I think that it's a school on the rise, and the students seemed to be both more relaxed and better prepared than in the class I observed at Florida. Neither professor would win a teaching award, but the professor at Miami seemed to be more knowledgeable and more engaging than his counterpart.

I'll visit both schools again before I reach a decision. I think that you could do a lot worse than UM though, and I'd certainly choose it over Stetson, if doing so is financially viable.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:53 am

Be debt adverse at those 3, UM is already supposed to be kind of a rip off cost-benefit wise, plus if your not getting a scholarship there... I'd do Stetson if UF and FSU don't pan out. At all the schools your talking about - low debt and high class rank- should give you comparable career options IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:42 am

arhmcpo wrote:Be debt adverse at those 3, UM is already supposed to be kind of a rip off cost-benefit wise, plus if your not getting a scholarship there... I'd do Stetson if UF and FSU don't pan out. At all the schools your talking about - low debt and high class rank- should give you comparable career options IMO.
I beg to differ.. If practicing in South Florida is what you're after, UMiami has a great name for itself and is highly respected. It places relatively well in biglaw down here. Search the attorneys at some of the major firms and you'll find considerably more from UM than from the likes of Stetson, Nova, Barry, St. Thomas, etc. Also, being in the city will allow you to network yourself better.

Now if UF and FSU are in the picture, I'd pick UF>FSU>UM with no money. With a scholarship at UM then it becomes more personal preference...

Note: I'm debt-averse, but I'd rather pay sticker at UM than go to any of the other schools down here if I don't get into UF (didn't apply to FSU).

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 am

Go to UF or FSU if you can get in, obviously. Do NOT go to Nova; I am pretty sure this is the lowest ranked law school in the state. Don't go to Miami unless you get money from them and are okay with practicing in south FL. It is far and away not worth sticker, and the market there has gotten a lot worse, too. With money from Stetson, it might not be a bad place to go if you're okay with practicing in Tampa/St. Pete, but the market is horrific and even UF grads are having a miserable time right now. Good luck.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:53 am

For my thoughts (and those of many others), look here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=107809 and here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=104198

Bottom line: University of Florida. Poll on second link seems to agree.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:00 am

Lomax wrote:For my thoughts (and those of many others), look here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=107809 and here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=104198

Lomax man you and I have been all over these FL threads today. There was a thread partly about Stetson recently that I thought you were gonna be all over, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 am

Chelios wrote:'ve visited UF and UMiami in the past two weeks, and I was actually quite a bit more impressed with Miami. I think that it's a school on the rise, and the students seemed to be both more relaxed and better prepared than in the class I observed at Florida. Neither professor would win a teaching award, but the professor at Miami seemed to be more knowledgeable and more engaging than his counterpart.

I'll visit both schools again before I reach a decision. I think that you could do a lot worse than UM though, and I'd certainly choose it over Stetson, if doing so is financially viable.
I like that you actually visited both schools, but I wonder how much thought you have put into the objective, less touchy-feely matters that should really be at the center of a proper analysis of which law school would be the best investment of your time, money, and effort. As I pointed out in one of the other threads, you can't let quality of life in whatever form you're looking at it cloud your vision here - at most you can allow it to come into sight on the very periphery, no more. The choice of law school is an investment decision - you are sacrificing now to gain later. Throw a wrench into that and you've got problems. UM is great - tropical paradise, looks like a resort, South Beach minutes away, Fairchild Gardens even closer. UF is practically in Georgia. So you give UM some big points there. Then you decide that the students seem happier - "more relaxed and better prepared" even - in UM's tropical environment. Your enthusiasm extends to your impression of the professor. After your day at UM, you decide you want your three years in the sun, and you're willing to take that pitchwoman's word that it's "a school on the rise" in order to justify it.

I'm not going to restate here the many reasons why UM < UF, even for those who wish to work in South Florida - for those you can look to the other threads that I previously listed - but they are sound and objective. The few reasons why UM might be a better choice than UF apply only for those with a life expectancy of three years beyond the present day, or those who have the ability to make things go exactly the way they want them to.

Oh, and by the way - should you be right about those students at UM being better prepared, Chelios, and should you choose to go to UM, you'll be competing with relatively well-prepared students. Given that their numbers (LSAT and GPA) are lower than UF students', you'll probably then be going against harder-working students. And so, you'll likely be needing to work harder at UM than at UF to achieve the same class rank, which is doubly painful since UM generally doesn't place graduates of equal rank as well as UF.
rad law wrote:
Lomax wrote:For my thoughts (and those of many others), look here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=107809 and here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=104198

Lomax man you and I have been all over these FL threads today. There was a thread partly about Stetson recently that I thought you were gonna be all over, too.
Seriously. You'd think people would learn how to use the search function and save us the trouble. I consider this my one great public service project. Save some people from shooting themselves in the foot. Of course, neither of us is any expert, but we can act the part well enough, can't we?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 am

Lomax wrote:
rad law wrote:

Seriously. You'd think people would learn how to use the search function and save us the trouble. I consider this my one great public service project. Save some people from shooting themselves in the foot. Of course, neither of us is any expert, but we can act the part well enough, can't we?
Haha very true. I may just be some random dude on the internet, but I've heard the horror stories again and again. I'm sure it's possible to be "successful" (whatever that may mean) from Stetson, Miami, etc., but especially ITE the odds are certainly very well stacked against you, as well as the ridiculous costs. Those at the tip-top of the class at Stetson on down may have decent options, but who can say they can achieve this level without setting foot in a law school class? In 99% all situations, I'm gonna say UF/FSU or bust.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:38 am

You really can't tell what two schools will be like based solely on observations from one class at each. Maybe it was just that the UF slackers were the ones called on that day, or the class at UM was behind a reading so everyone had a chance to catch up. or something. I know at my school there are some classes the majority of my section either loves or hates, based not just on the professor, but also on the case book, the amount of reading, when the class is scheduled (fsu law doesn't schedule classes from 1215 to 130, so my 145 class always seems to have read), or the subject itself (i hate crim law for example and stopped reading after the first wk, you will learn it all over again at the end anyway, but if I get called on I will definitely not be "prepared"). One of my professors has a lot of personality, and conducts class pretty differently than my others. The other day a prospective student sat in on it and i remember thinking, "he's going to base his entire fsu law experience on this class," which really wasn't representative of our daily class routines. In general, FSU and UF are the best, and don't let these 0Ls tell you UF is the only way to go. Most people at fsu law applied to both, and we have tons of students who chose to come here over UF simply b/c the schools and the towns have two entirely different atmospheres, and most people are suited better for one or the other. Then we have the douchebags that should be at UF but didn't get in, and we're stuck w/ them. JK. but not really. Stetson is really not THAT great, but I am from Tampa also and for some reason Tampa laypeople think very highly of it. If you don't want to end up in Tampa, and you specifically want S. FL, I don't think there's any real advantage to going to Stetson. Does your scholarship have a GPA requirement? I think everyone on TLS thinks they are going to be top 30%, when really who does well on exams is pretty unpredictable, even to the students themselves. If your Stetson scholarship requires you to maintain a certain GPA, I would jsut rule that out of the equation when deciding which school to attend, b/c you just can't count on it, and you will be stuck at a school you're not happy with if it turns out you do lose your scholarship. Not to be a downer, but one of my best friends in law school came in w/ a decent lsat and a 3.9 gpa, had always excelled in school, and worked hard when finals came around, but is going to lose her scholarship unless she pulls off miraculous grades this spring. Luckily, we love FSU and she will be happy anyway :)

p.s. i was just kidding about the uf thing, obviously both are great schools, but I do feel that they are very different from each other, and it's crazy to say that UF is the only way to go and you would go to any other school in florida besides FSU! :)

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 am

ame05d wrote:i was just kidding about the uf thing, obviously both are great schools, but I do feel that they are very different from each other
Care to elaborate? In what major ways are they different (other than in terms of average job placement and starting salary, a category in which we see UF beating FSU handily)? What practical advantages might FSU offer over UF?
ame05d wrote:If your Stetson scholarship requires you to maintain a certain GPA, I would jsut rule that out of the equation when deciding which school to attend, b/c you just can't count on it, and you will be stuck at a school you're not happy with if it turns out you do lose your scholarship. Not to be a downer, but one of my best friends in law school came in w/ a decent lsat and a 3.9 gpa, had always excelled in school, and worked hard when finals came around, but is going to lose her scholarship unless she pulls off miraculous grades this spring.
This is good. UM = $91,000 with scholarship, folks - not "same as UF".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:18 am

None of them ITE

From what I hear from my law school friends here (UF): nobody has jobs

spearnreel

New

Post by spearnreel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 am

Lomax wrote:
ame05d wrote: Care to elaborate? In what major ways are they different \
One has a better football team.

spearnreel

New

Post by spearnreel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am

Lomax wrote:
(other than in terms of average job placement and starting salary, a category in which we see UF beating FSU handily)?
Where are you getting these job stats from that you stand so firmly behind?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 am

This is my perspective as a South Floridian, having worked in law firms and legal departments (not as a lawyer), and having an attorney as a father.

If you are positive that you want to practice anywhere in FL, and get in to UF or FSU, go. Do not hesitate or even consider any other option. It's the best choice in Florida and costs something like $12,000 a year if you are a FL resident. Downside: Gator fans are annoying. :wink:

If you want to practice in South Florida, and do not get in to UF/FSU, pick UMiami. Expensive but great reputation. Avoid Nova, it has a poor reputation and does not place well. Spoke to a Nova 3L last spring who said she knew ONE person in the class with a job lined up. Plus, if you ever want to leave South Florida, no one will have any idea what Nova Southeastern is. http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/careers claims 128 firms at 2007 OCI for UMiami. For the same year, Nova reported 16. What's worse, that's "pre-ITE". Caveat emptor.

If you want to practice on the west coast of FL (Tampa), and do not get in to UF/FSU, consider Stetson.
Last edited by js87 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

DallasCowboy wrote:None of them ITE

My friend who went to UF hated it and said it's pretty much equal to FSU (but he graduated several years ago, finished at the top of his class and got a really good job). However, he thinks UF's reputation is WAY overrated and that there really isn't a difference, from what he has seen, between UF/FSU/Miami (he currently works in Tampa) and finds UF to be horribly, horribly overrated and is NOWHERE near as good as they claim to be. Obviously, this is from someone who graduated in the good economy, but I'm inclined to believe him a bit (and since he went to UF and got a good job, why would he lie?)

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

Stetson.

UF or FSU are the better options if you get accepted, but if you do not: Nova is not a good law school, it isn't even a real law school, think of it like ITT or Devry or University of Phoenix. Stetson will get you a 50-70k job in FL if you do well, and the debt will be lower. Also, Ybor is wonderful.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:45 am

js87 wrote:http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/careers claims 128 firms at 2007 OCI for UMiami.
Miami has 99 this year according to NALP. And that is OFFICES, not firms. For reference, the first page has 25 offices but only 5 firms.

You're also not going to get a job at OCI w/o at least top 20% (and if you bid wrong you might not get one almost regardless of your rank).

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am

mistergoft wrote:
js87 wrote:http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/careers claims 128 firms at 2007 OCI for UMiami.
Miami has 99 this year according to NALP. And that is OFFICES, not firms. For reference, the first page has 25 offices but only 5 firms.

You're also not going to get a job at OCI w/o at least top 20% (and if you bid wrong you might not get one almost regardless of your rank).
:shock: That's scary stuff. I can't even imagine the situation at the billion third and fourth tier FL schools (Nova, Barry, FIU, FAMU, Coastal, the list goes on). UMiami has such a strong reputation down here.

I was EXTREMELY close to going to UMiami last year. I was already shopping for apartments in Brickell. I decided last minute to withdraw, retake the LSAT, and apply to new schools this year because I hate South FL. I was frightened that UM would keep me locked in to this "market", or lack thereof. I'm glad I did...

Would you mind sharing where you found that NALP data? I'm interested in looking up other schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Cupidity wrote:Also, Ybor is wonderful.
Ybor is wonderful during the day and evening (I love cigars and Cuban food), but I will stick to what I said on another Stetson-related thread here

Ybor is trashy and disgusting after about 11:30 pm, and I wouldn't go unless you 1) look like something out of a Jersey Shore promo, 2) Just turned 18 and can't go anywhere better, or 3) dress like a gangbanger. Try South Howard or Channelside.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 am

keg411 wrote:

My friend who went to UF hated it and said it's pretty much equal to FSU (but he graduated several years ago, finished at the top of his class and got a really good job). However, he thinks UF's reputation is WAY overrated and that there really isn't a difference, from what he has seen, between UF/FSU/Miami (he currently works in Tampa) and finds UF to be horribly, horribly overrated and is NOWHERE near as good as they claim to be. Obviously, this is from someone who graduated in the good economy, but I'm inclined to believe him a bit (and since he went to UF and got a good job, why would he lie?)
Your friend is basing his opinion on what? "From what he has seen"? Or maybe blind rage, because someone at UF didn't give him everything he asked for? Look, here are some cold, hard facts. Data, if you will. The most recent OCI numbers from each seemingly potentially worthwhile Florida school are as follows:

UF: 40 employers
UM: 30 employers
FSU: 26 employers
Stetson: 9 employers
Nova: 9 employers
FIU: 7 employers

(Source: --LinkRemoved--)

Maybe now we can all believe that UF is the best-respected law school in Florida (yes, even better than FSU), and perhaps even the one most likely to get its graduates work, despite the best efforts of some disgruntled noisemakers?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 am

Lomax wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Your friend is basing his opinion on what? "From what he has seen"? Or maybe blind rage, because someone at UF didn't give him everything he asked for? Look, here are some cold, hard facts. Data, if you will. The most recent OCI numbers from each seemingly potentially worthwhile Florida school are as follows:

UF: 40 employers
UM: 30 employers
FSU: 26 employers
Stetson: 9 employers
Nova: 9 employers
FIU: 7 employers

(Source: --LinkRemoved--)

Maybe now we can all believe that UF is the best-respected law school in Florida (yes, even better than FSU), and perhaps even the one most likely to get its graduates work, despite the best efforts of some disgruntled noisemakers?
Care to list employment and bar passage statistics before we all agree on it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”