ED at UVA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jmaan

ED at UVA?

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 pm

There are many similar threads like this but i didnt want to bump/steal someone else's.

1st:164
2nd:171
Nothing special about my app...non-urm...all apps sent between xmas and new years.

I've only heard back from 2 t20 (in at WashU, WL at Duke)
Should I be ED'ing at UVA? I want to practice in CA so my 2 other questions are...
1. Would UVA be better for CA than UCLA/USC? (i dont think I have a shot at SLS or CAL so theres no need to consider them)
2. How do the other t10's look in my range (MVP) also Northwestern(no interview, no W/E)?

Thanks for all replies and if persuaded to do so, I'll be mailing an ED form today.

jmaan

Re: ED at UVA?

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:25 pm

after reading the UVA RD thread and seeing I'm lucky to have survived the WL bloodbath...im more antsy

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Don't know much about UVA's placement in CA relative to USC and UCLA, but I think you'd be a pretty good bet to get in ED...

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Michigan- In/WL
Penn - WL
UVA - WL
Cornell - WL/In
NU - WL/Out
Georgetown - In/Priority WL

You're not going to get CCN so these are the only decision that really matter. I'd say ED at UVA if your set on it but you're likely to get at least one more T14. ED ruins your chances at $$ negotiation but I don't know if you'd get much anyway without leveraging another offer. Tough decision man. If you had applied in Oct/Nov, I would have said it's not worth it, but now I'm leaning towards advising the ED.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Don't know much about UVA's placement in CA relative to USC and UCLA, but I think you'd be a pretty good bet to get in ED...

thanks man..haha hear anything from GULC yet?? i remember we've been stuck at the same UR date

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm

D Brooks wrote:Michigan- In/WL
Penn - WL
UVA - WL
Cornell - WL/In
NU - WL/Out

You're not going to get CCN so these are the only decision that really matter. I'd say ED at UVA if your set on it but you're likely to get at least one more T14. ED ruins your chances at $$ negotiation but I don't know if you'd get much anyway without leveraging another offer. Tough decision man. If you had applied in Oct/Nov, I would have said it's not worth it, but now I'm leaning towards advising the ED.

thanks man..money isnt much of an issue considering I've pretty much realized im not gonna get any money from t14. Would you have any insight on whether UVA would be better than the CA schools for CA (UCLA/USC)

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm

jmaan wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Don't know much about UVA's placement in CA relative to USC and UCLA, but I think you'd be a pretty good bet to get in ED...

thanks man..haha hear anything from GULC yet?? i remember we've been stuck at the same UR date

Haha nope, UR 2/3 now though. I don't know why they're taking so long to reject me.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
jmaan wrote:

Haha nope, UR 2/3 now though. I don't know why they're taking so long to reject me.

this cycles looking to be rough for everyone...especially after today..I'm still stuck at the same UR date lol....I'm really starting to lean towards the UVA ED but i feel like that isnt even a sure thing

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

jmaan wrote:
Penn - WL
UVA - WL
Cornell - WL/In
NU - WL/Out

thanks man..money isnt much of an issue considering I've pretty much realized im not gonna get any money from t14. Would you have any insight on whether UVA would be better than the CA schools for CA (UCLA/USC)

I don't know anything about this but you should check this out:
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/career_map.htm

Also may want to give their Career Services office a call. I don't know how they field questions for potential applicants but just explain you're trying to decide on a school (don't say trying to ED) and were wondering about CA firm/PI/whatever placement.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:47 pm

jmaan wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
jmaan wrote:

this cycles looking to be rough for everyone...especially after today..I'm still stuck at the same UR date lol....I'm really starting to lean towards the UVA ED but i feel like that isnt even a sure thing

I'm actually pretty happy with the way my cycle has gone, but if I can sneak into a T14 I would be thrilled. My numbers are just below both the medians for Georgetown though so I am not quite optimistic. I actually did ED to UVA, but with no 3.85 or 170 my chances were pretty much zero. Seems like applicants with one or both of those numbers overwhelmingly are accepted, according to LSN.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 pm

D Brooks wrote:
jmaan wrote:
Penn - WL
UVA - WL
Cornell - WL/In
NU - WL/Out

I don't know anything about this but you should check this out:
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/career_map.htm

Also may want to give their Career Services office a call. I don't know how they field questions for potential applicants but just explain you're trying to decide on a school (don't say trying to ED) and were wondering about CA firm/PI/whatever placement.

thanks this really helps

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 pm

any other insight before I send it in?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:28 pm

jmaan wrote:any other insight before I send it in?

Did you call Career Services? Are you not worried about $170k in debt at all? I think this decision merits at least leaving this post up for a few days before faxing in the contract. Maybe wait until Sunday afternoon and that way you can get good news at sometime on Monday.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 pm

D Brooks wrote:
jmaan wrote:any other insight before I send it in?

Did you call Career Services? Are you not worried about $170k in debt at all? I think this decision merits at least leaving this post up for a few days before faxing in the contract. Maybe wait until Sunday afternoon and that way you can get good news at sometime on Monday.

i didnt call yet..im not worried about the debt, without sounding like a dick I'm not paying for it. I just want to make sure I can break the top 10 or set myself up in the best situation to get a biglaw job in CA upon grad.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Are you in at UCLA/USC yet? Or still waiting?

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 pm

oneforship wrote:Are you in at UCLA/USC yet? Or still waiting?

still waiting..not even sure if i'd get into them considering their higher gpa medians

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:43 pm

jmaan wrote:
oneforship wrote:Are you in at UCLA/USC yet? Or still waiting?

still waiting..not even sure if i'd get into them considering their higher gpa medians

My opinion is that UCLA and USC will place better in CA. But, you won't have the insurance of being able to fall back on other parts of the country if you go to one of those schools, because they place more regionally than UVA. You may have to finish just as high in the class at UCLA/USC to get a job as you would at UVA to get a job in CA. But at UVA, you may be able to find work in other parts of the country if you don't finish as high as you'd like.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Where you want to practice in that massive state is probably the credited question at this point.

USC's placement is pretty limited to LA/Southern Cal if I'm not mistaken.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Desired markets in order....but I give higher priority to getting a job in general.

1. SF Bay Area
2. LA
3.NY/DC
4.CHicago
5. everything else

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm

jmaan wrote:Desired markets in order....but I give higher priority to getting a job in general.

1. SF Bay Area
2. LA
3.NY/DC
4.CHicago
5. everything else

Someone made the point in an NYU v. Boalt thread started by a kid who wanted to practice in CA that there are benefits with going to a school in the home market/state. You can network more easily, you don't have to fly across the country for 1st and 2nd interviews, and you don't have to worry about moving back and forth for 1L and 2L summers. I dunno though, I'd probably go with UVA. You should talk to the Career Services people first and PM posters like Kronk and crackberry (they are 0Ls who have done a bunch of research and are Cali-centric as well) and maybe some UCLA and UVA 1L posters.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

i'll def do that...anyone else this evening

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Duke troll here. I remember that Tucker Max got a job in Silicon Valley from Duke. Also, Duke may give you money.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Duke troll here. I remember that Tucker Max got a job in Silicon Valley from Duke. Also, Duke may give you money.

already wL at duke lol

swinger

Postby swinger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:59 pm

jmaan wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:Duke troll here. I remember that Tucker Max got a job in Silicon Valley from Duke. Also, Duke may give you money.

already wL at duke lol

dude, how did ED at UVA go? im considering sending one in for next year. C/O 2014!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”