George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SummerLaw

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:50 am

danieltorrey wrote:Are both FT and PT applicants part of a single wait list pool? I mean, would a PT applicant be considered for the FT division if a spot opened up in the wait list? I think they gave us some info on that, but I can't remember.

We (PT'ers) are in the same pool as the FT students but I have no idea what that means per se. I'm unclear as to how we can be in the same pool, but thats what I've been told multiple times by the Admissions Office. I don't think they would consider us for FT spots... I DO know that they drastically reduced the size of the PT class - by nearly 50%. I wish they would think about re-opening some of those seats!

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 am

SummerLaw wrote:I DO know that they drastically reduced the size of the PT class - by nearly 50%. I wish they would think about re-opening some of those seats!

From what I understand, they reduced the PT section because so many people were using it as a way to get into the school, with the idea of transferring to full-time after a year. My co-worker's class used to be something like two to three times larger...

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 am

burkinafaso wrote:
SummerLaw wrote:I DO know that they drastically reduced the size of the PT class - by nearly 50%. I wish they would think about re-opening some of those seats!

From what I understand, they reduced the PT section because so many people were using it as a way to get into the school, with the idea of transferring to full-time after a year. My co-worker's class used to be something like two to three times larger...

Interesting - that makes sense given what I heard... that they are only admitting people into the PT program that have jobs in DC, plan to work etc. which is great for the people who have been accepted. Evens the playing field, so to speak.
(stinks for those of us gunning for the limited seats!)

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 am

burkinafaso wrote:

They reduced it b/c of the USNWR 2008 ranking change where PT class was incorporated into the FT class. Thus GWU took a huge hit, going from 20th to 28th. GWU responded by taking a hacksaw to the PT class to make it more difficult to get in. after they slashed the class of 2010 USNWR announced that they would have a new ranking for the PT programs, meaning that PT ppl no longer effect the schools overall program. at that point, however, the class had already been cut from 150 seat to 50 seats. I think that GWU might bring the number of seats up in the next few years, though it might not be an immediate response.

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
burkinafaso wrote:

They reduced it b/c of the USNWR 2008 ranking change where PT class was incorporated into the FT class. Thus GWU took a huge hit, going from 20th to 28th. GWU responded by taking a hacksaw to the PT class to make it more difficult to get in. after they slashed the class of 2010 USNWR announced that they would have a new ranking for the PT programs, meaning that PT ppl no longer effect the schools overall program. at that point, however, the class had already been cut from 150 seat to 50 seats. I think that GWU might bring the number of seats up in the next few years, though it might not be an immediate response.

From the GW Hatchet (Oct. 2009): --LinkRemoved--

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

So, I just got a reply about that question on how the wait list pool affects part time applicants. They told me that wait listed part time applicants are indeed considered for both divisions.

Hope this helps.
Cheers and good luck to everyone!

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:50 pm

danieltorrey wrote:So, I just got a reply about that question on how the wait list pool affects part time applicants. They told me that wait listed part time applicants are indeed considered for both divisions.

Hope this helps.
Cheers and good luck to everyone!

1. Who'd you email? I've never gotten a single response via email!
  2. Meaning that even those who are incapable of going full time are considered for full time?
  3. I'm assuming they didn't give a breakdown of how many are PT and how many are FT...any sense of that?

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:57 pm

And... (sorry to bombard you with more questions, danieltorrey) did you get a sense for whether they expect more movement from the waitlist?

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Well, the reply that I got only answered that wait-listed PT applicants are indeed considered for spots in both FT and PT programs.

I sent the question to their general admissions office e-mail, and I didn't get any sense of how is the breakdown between wait-listed PT and FT applicants is, but I didn't ask about that specifically.

No info on whether we will see additional offers, but again, I didn't ask about that. I got the feel that they may be pretty busy right know and I didn't want to be pushy, I just figured I'll wait for Friday's update.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Have any of the people admitted off of the waitlist received the package yet? If so was it usps or another carrier?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:03 am

Haven't received my package yet. Expecting it today (Thurs) or maybe tomorrow.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Didn't come via USPS today - I live in the NY metro area so I'm surprised that it has taken this long if it was in fact mailed this past monday.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Update email....Zzzzzz

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

saying what

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:22 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Update email....Zzzzzz

Yeah, saying what? I received no such email... *begins fretting*

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Good afternoon. I write with this week's wait list update:

We made offers of admission to a small number of wait-listed candidates this week. If and when any of the students who have committed to attend GW Law withdraw, we will make additional offers.

If we are able to offer you admission, we will contact you by e-mail and/or phone, as well as send a formal acceptance package in the mail. In past years, we have been able to make offers to a limited number of wait-listed candidates throughout July and August -- and we expect that there will be a few more offers of admission going out during the next 6 weeks.

We invite you to continue to wait with us. That said, we certainly understand if you feel that you must move forward with plans to attend another law school. If this is the case and if you no longer with to remain on our wait list, we would appreciate your letting us know.

I am sorry that this process cannot conclude more quickly. We appreciate your interest in our law school and your patience.

Thank you.

Did you guys get one yet?

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:36 pm

Yep, got that too. I know its hard on us to wait like this, but quite frankly, GW is doing a great job in keeping us informed and I think that they are doing their best under the law school admissions system of wait lists, withdrawals etc.

Being realistic, at this point the odds are very much against us. If we had a good chance of being admitted, we probably would have received an offer from the outset. That being said, its not over until its over, and I plan on going down swinging.

Cheers!
Last edited by danieltorrey on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:38 pm

I did not. I noticed this part:

SummerLaw wrote:We invite you to continue to wait with us.

Which makes it sound like you were selected to remain on the wait list....meaning that they're either about to let me in (unlikely), they haven't gotten around to my name yet (perhaps a little more likely, last name is in the middle of the alphabet), there's an email delay (hah!), or I've been kicked off (looking like our winner...).

We shall see. I'll check the (postal) mail over the next few days and see what comes...if anything...

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:40 pm

It's probably an email delay... Spam folder? I dont think they are trimming the WL...

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:44 pm

SummerLaw wrote:It's probably an email delay... Spam folder? I dont think they are trimming the WL...

It'd be a wise idea, just because they seem to be reviewing every remaining application during every go-round. That said, I wouldn't blame them. My scores are not that good, and, for people in my area, those with my particular work experience are a dime a dozen.

Maybe I'll see you all as a transfer student :)

</pessimism>

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:47 pm

SummerLaw wrote:It's probably an email delay... Spam folder? I dont think they are trimming the WL...

Correct me if I am wrong, but they started with a WL of 450+ applicants right? And last week they said the wait list was still large, but about 200+ applicants. Could the difference of 250+ applicants be achieved solely by offers and withdrawals? Well, on second thought, the difference could be the result of withdrawals.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:48 pm

burkinafaso wrote:I did not. I noticed this part:

SummerLaw wrote:We invite you to continue to wait with us.

Which makes it sound like you were selected to remain on the wait list....meaning that they're either about to let me in (unlikely), they haven't gotten around to my name yet (perhaps a little more likely, last name is in the middle of the alphabet), there's an email delay (hah!), or I've been kicked off (looking like our winner...).

We shall see. I'll check the (postal) mail over the next few days and see what comes...if anything...

she's used that language before. Similar at least:

May 14:
Anne wrote:
We admitted a limited number of wait-listed candidates this week. We anticipate that we will be making some additional offers in the upcoming weeks.

We would like to ask you to continue to wait with us. I am sorry that we are not able to offer you admission at this time, but we certainly will invite you to be part of our fall 2010 entering class if possible.

I will continue to provide weekly updates.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. Have a good weekend.

Anne[/i][/color]

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:50 pm

she's used that language before. Similar at least:

May 14:
Anne wrote:
We admitted a limited number of wait-listed candidates this week. We anticipate that we will be making some additional offers in the upcoming weeks.

We would like to ask you to continue to wait with us. I am sorry that we are not able to offer you admission at this time, but we certainly will invite you to be part of our fall 2010 entering class if possible.

I will continue to provide weekly updates.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. Have a good weekend.

Anne[/i][/color]
[/quote]

Yeah thats what I'm thinking - the language is the same as other emails so I dont think its an indication one way or the other... However, I've been wrong easily 100 times during this process so what do I know. Maybe you're getting an offer via email tomorrow.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:12 pm

+1

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Got my packet in the mail today.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”