George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby stayway » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 pm

got an e-mail update.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby SummerLaw » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:37 am

+1

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Think we'll start hearing stuff tomorrow or not til later in the week?

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby quadsixm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:51 am

Aston2412 wrote:Think we'll start hearing stuff tomorrow or not til later in the week?


I'm thinking that they'll need a few days to run a tally after the June 15th deposit deadline.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:47 am

Agree... I believe someone had the intel that deposits only need to be postmarked by 6/15... so probably early next week.

burkinafaso
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby burkinafaso » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:07 am

SummerLaw wrote:Agree... I believe someone had the intel that deposits only need to be postmarked by 6/15... so probably early next week.


Yeah, I was going to say. It's likely not a "tally", but a "wait a reasonable amount of time for deposits to come in."

That said, according to the USPS (LinkRemoved), delivery time for first class mail is "two to three days;" as such, we'll probably not hear much until Monday. (This is, of course, worst-case scenario - I wouldn't send my deposit first class mail!)

International mail - Priority Mail - takes 6 to 10 days (LinkRemoved). So there could be a couple more spots that open up about two weeks from now, as well.

PS for some reason, the board wouldn't let me use Error...they're links to the USPS website.

Edit: This board will not let me type TINY URL DOT COM at all.
Last edited by burkinafaso on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby SummerLaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 am

So I'm hoping today's update email is still optimistic about spots opening up....

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby dudders » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:50 am

Well GW cashed my second deposit yesterday (which I sent about 5 days before the deadline). I'm sure they've got more coming in the mail still, but they've probably started the potential offer analysis process.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby SummerLaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 am

Oh nice - thank you for the intel!

burkinafaso
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby burkinafaso » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:09 am

O M G.

Dean Richard wrote:We expect to make offers of admission to 15-20 applicants on our wait list on Monday, June 21st. If you are one of the candidates selected for admission, we will contact you by phone or e-mail, as well as send a formal acceptance package in the mail. If you do not hear from us on Monday, you will remain on our wait list and will receive another update by next Friday.


Gonna sit by the phone and freak out, thankyouverymuch.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby SummerLaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 am

Haha yepppp there we have it. 1/10 chance.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby stayway » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:45 pm

ooomgggggggg monday

danieltorrey
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby danieltorrey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Oh Boy, Here We Go.

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby servinDizzert » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:32 am

15-20 spots. I'm figuring its late in the game so maybe half will decline? Therefore, top 20-30 off the waitlist will be hearing from them on MONDAY!?!?!?


...or am I just too optimistic?

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby quadsixm » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:59 pm

servinDizzert wrote:15-20 spots. I'm figuring its late in the game so maybe half will decline? Therefore, top 20-30 off the waitlist will be hearing from them on MONDAY!?!?!?


...or am I just too optimistic?


No, I think you're right - at least half of those offered will decline. It's late in the game, and even more importantly, they are giving no $ at all to WLers. People at the top of the WL right now most likely have $$ at some decent schools and are unlikely to abandon them to take on $210,000 of debt (tuition + COL).

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby Aston2412 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Ok well let's be optimistic and get that nasty 210k out of our heads. Let's shoot for 175...

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby quadsixm » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Ok well let's be optimistic and get that nasty 210k out of our heads. Let's shoot for 175...


I don't know... the breakdown on the GW website looks pretty accurate:

Full-Time J.D. (minimum 12 hours per semester)

Tuition and fees*: $43,999
Books and supplies: $1,350
Health Insurance: $1,800
Loan Origination / Guarantee Fees: $1,400
Room and board: $16,500
Personal Expenses: $3,200
Transportation: $2,200
Total Cost of Attendance: $70,449

I can optimistically see cutting transportation and personal expenses in half, but that still gives us:
3*(67,749)=$203,247

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby stayway » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:38 am

thank god my parents live in northern virginia and i can commute (although its about 35mins)

$44k x 3 = $132k thats same as my current school with $ so i am a LOCK IN GW if they accept me

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby Aston2412 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:18 am

I think their board and transportation estimates are a little high.

You can find housing in the area for a little bit cheaper than they are estimating and though I haven't run the numbers I can't imagine how many metro trips you'd have to use to go through 2,200 in a year.

You're right of course, the estimate is much closer to 210,000 but I'd rather not face that reality now - that's what the next three years are for = )

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:17 am

While I'm sure their scholarship money is all gone, I just wanted to pop in and say that I still received a decent-sized need-based grant, even coming in late off the WL. So that can help a little as well.

Good luck to everybody tomorrow!

danieltorrey
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby danieltorrey » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:18 pm

nooyyllib wrote:thank god my parents live in northern virginia and i can commute (although its about 35mins)

$44k x 3 = $132k thats same as my current school with $ so i am a LOCK IN GW if they accept me


Same situation here, also in Northern Virginia and also would 100% attended GW if accepted.

Good luck to all!!

burkinafaso
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby burkinafaso » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Debt has no meaning to me. I will take on whatever I need to take on in order to go to GW. Unwise? Perhaps. Then again, I have a job for now, have plenty saved up, and don't plan on quitting anytime soon, so I can put a fair bit towards paying it off.

And if that fails...I can always run away to another country and default on it :-P (If anyone at GW is reading this...I'm KIDDING)

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby stayway » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 pm

burkinafaso wrote:Debt has no meaning to me. I will take on whatever I need to take on in order to go to GW. Unwise? Perhaps. Then again, I have a job for now, have plenty saved up, and don't plan on quitting anytime soon, so I can put a fair bit towards paying it off.

And if that fails...I can always run away to another country and default on it :-P (If anyone at GW is reading this...I'm KIDDING)


lol unfortunately student loans are something you can't file bankruptcy on.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:30 am

nooyyllib wrote:
burkinafaso wrote:Debt has no meaning to me. I will take on whatever I need to take on in order to go to GW. Unwise? Perhaps. Then again, I have a job for now, have plenty saved up, and don't plan on quitting anytime soon, so I can put a fair bit towards paying it off.

And if that fails...I can always run away to another country and default on it :-P (If anyone at GW is reading this...I'm KIDDING)


lol unfortunately student loans are something you can't file bankruptcy on.


lol that is why s/he would flee the country.

burkinafaso
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby burkinafaso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:16 am

gwuorbust wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
burkinafaso wrote:Debt has no meaning to me. I will take on whatever I need to take on in order to go to GW. Unwise? Perhaps. Then again, I have a job for now, have plenty saved up, and don't plan on quitting anytime soon, so I can put a fair bit towards paying it off.

And if that fails...I can always run away to another country and default on it :-P (If anyone at GW is reading this...I'm KIDDING)


lol unfortunately student loans are something you can't file bankruptcy on.


lol that is why s/he would flee the country.


Exactly.

My cell reception is not great at work, so I'll be walking outside every couple minutes to check for voicemails. Good luck all, hope we get some TLS action!
Last edited by burkinafaso on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”