George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DCLawGW

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Postby DCLawGW » Fri May 14, 2010 10:11 am

FT

patently_oblivious

Postby patently_oblivious » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

Just received an email acceptance. 166/3.9/FT/3 years legal work experience/additional GWU specific LOR. Sent a LOCI Tuesday, not sure it even arrived yet. Now, time to decide between GMU (20k/yr) or GWU (44k/yr)... honestly split 50/50 on debt vs. job prospects. Tough decision. I'd ask TLS for advice, but I'm guessing it'd be influenced by WLers wanting my spot.

Good luck to everyone!

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Fri May 14, 2010 10:32 am

patently_oblivious wrote:Just received an email acceptance. 166/3.9/FT/3 years legal work experience/additional GWU specific LOR. Sent a LOCI Tuesday, not sure it even arrived yet. Now, time to decide between GMU (20k/yr) or GWU (44k/yr)... honestly split 50/50 on debt vs. job prospects. Tough decision. I'd ask TLS for advice, but I'm guessing it'd be influenced by WLers wanting my spot.

Good luck to everyone!

Since you're full-time, I feel as though whether or not you accept can't hurt a part-timer like me. :)

That being said, go for GW. Based on your username, I'm guessing you want to do IP. GW's #3 in the country for IP, and no matter what people say, brand-name can (and frequently) does matter.

Just my 2¢.

Congratulations either way!

Cognoscenti

Postby Cognoscenti » Fri May 14, 2010 11:52 am

In off WL via email. FT; 168/3.4. Deciding between GWU (sticker) and Illinois (20K scholly)...
...95% sure I'm going with GWU bc I want to end up in DC.
I AM PSYCHED.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Looks like these were all splitters?

nope... 160/3.8 is most definitely a reverse splitter

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Anybody off the WL so far get any aid? I really want GW... but at sticker, yikes! Pretty scary stuff...

Baloo

Postby Baloo » Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Also in via email this morning to FT program. 169, about 3.5

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Fri May 14, 2010 2:07 pm

No part-timers off the waitlist yet? Seriously? We've gotta get a few in there...though perhaps GU making their waitlist decisions earlier in the cycle (it was mentioned a few pages ago) negatively affected our chances, because everyone knew where they would want to end up going more quickly...?

Especially because they have that three-tiered waitlist...perhaps people in the bottom were dissuaded and are keeping spots at GW...

Or maybe they're going to send out part-time acceptances later :)

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri May 14, 2010 2:34 pm

so no PT WL offers yet ?

also, it seems that most of the offers have been to reverse splitters, indicating that they have hit their LSAT median and are now looking to lock up the GPA

primusux

Postby primusux » Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm

gwuorbust wrote:so no PT WL offers yet ?

also, it seems that most of the offers have been to reverse splitters, indicating that they have hit their LSAT median and are now looking to lock up the GPA

+1, like I said a while back their LSAT does appear to be locked in. Unfortunate for us splitters.

Baloo

Postby Baloo » Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 pm

primusux wrote:

+1, like I said a while back their LSAT does appear to be locked in. Unfortunate for us splitters.

I don't know about that. There are at least a couple like me with high LSATs, low GPAs. And hopefully this doesn't sound arrogant, but like GULC, GW has significantly cut its PT program. I don't know how big it is now (I read 50 but that sounds ridiculously small), but it's damn competitive. That said, I'm wishing you all the absolute best luck possible.

Cognoscenti

Postby Cognoscenti » Fri May 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Baloo wrote:
primusux wrote:

I don't know about that. There are at least a couple like me with high LSATs, low GPAs. And hopefully this doesn't sound arrogant, but like GULC, GW has significantly cut its PT program. I don't know how big it is now (I read 50 but that sounds ridiculously small), but it's damn competitive. That said, I'm wishing you all the absolute best luck possible.

Got in this morning and I do not have a high GPA but do have a decent LSAT (168).

Cognoscenti

Postby Cognoscenti » Fri May 14, 2010 2:43 pm

quadsixm wrote:Anybody off the WL so far get any aid? I really want GW... but at sticker, yikes! Pretty scary stuff...

Agreed... they said no more merit $$$. need-based aid info will be in the package that will be mailed to us. I just looked up the COA... WOW.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri May 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Cognoscenti wrote:Got in this morning and I do not have a high GPA but do have a decent LSAT (168).

PT or FT ?

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Cognoscenti wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Anybody off the WL so far get any aid? I really want GW... but at sticker, yikes! Pretty scary stuff...

Agreed... they said no more merit $$$. need-based aid info will be in the package that will be mailed to us. I just looked up the COA... WOW.

Yeah, that COA is breathtaking. On my visit, some 2Ls I spoke to commute in from Arlington. I wonder if this offers significant savings over living in DC?

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 pm

quadsixm wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:

Yeah, that COA is breathtaking. On my visit, some 2Ls I spoke to commute in from Arlington. I wonder if this offers significant savings over living in DC?

Depends on where you live. You can get some great deals in Arlington, definitely. I've been living just across the river for a few years and you can find decent places there for not too too much....though prices can be quite high. Comparison shopping is the name of the game, and many places offer at least one month free these days.

If you don't mind living a little far out, the further out you go on the Orange, Blue, and Yellow lines (into Alexandria), the cheaper you get. You can live at the end of the Yellow and have maybe a 30-40 minute commute - but pay something like $1100 for a very spacious place. In DC that wouldn't get you quite as much...(again, there are always deals).

What's your price range? Check the Orange line - Rosslyn, Ballston, Clarendon, Court House aren't bad (but you can get ripped off - some places are $2000+ for a one bedroom). The commute to Foggy Bottom is anywhere from 10-20 minutes.

Come down to DC for a day, and walk around those areas (especially the last three) - you should be able to find a number of apartments within a stone's throw of the Metro, and you won't have to pay too much. There's also a thick Apartment Guide published by the Post - it's at most Metro stations with the newspapers.

tl;dr: living in VA might not be completely ideal, but it's one way of saving $...
Last edited by burkinafaso on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

primusux

Postby primusux » Fri May 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Baloo wrote:
primusux wrote:

No offense taken. I understand its an extremely competitive process. Also I'm looking for FT. Had I felt like I was an auto admit I would be bitching, however, expressing disappointment is something completely different. I was hopeful that my LSAT score would help if they were accepting pure splitters. As mentioned though I don't believe that to be the case.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Are those little rental magazines usually worth it? Last time I looked at one, it was mostly higher-end stuff.

I lived in Southern California and paid $1,000 for a decent-sized studio apartment... and I thought that was bad!

Hope I get in off of WL. If I do, looks like I might have to look into apartments in Alexandria. I have money saved up from working for several years as an engineer after undergrad, have an external scholarship, and will be getting some parental assistance, so luckily I won't have to cover the entire COA with debt... but the price is still steep and I will definitely need to watch my expenditures.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Fri May 14, 2010 3:29 pm

So... do we think the WL movement for today has concluded? And still no PT acceptances? Ouch.

burkinafaso

Postby burkinafaso » Fri May 14, 2010 3:31 pm

quadsixm wrote:Are those little rental magazines usually worth it? Last time I looked at one, it was mostly higher-end stuff.

I lived in Southern California and paid $1,000 for a decent-sized studio apartment... and I thought that was bad!

Hope I get in off of WL. If I do, looks like I might have to look into apartments in Alexandria. I have money saved up from working for several years as an engineer after undergrad, have an external scholarship, and will be getting some parental assistance, so luckily I won't have to cover the entire COA with debt... but the price is still steep and I will definitely need to watch my expenditures.

It's called the Apartment Showcase. It typically has everything from low-end to really high-end.

And yeah, good luck finding a $1,000 studio here :) You'd probably have to move out preeetttyyy far away from campus.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm

haha, almost picked it up at the metro station this morning on my way to work

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 3:48 pm

SummerLaw wrote:So... do we think the WL movement for today has concluded? And still no PT acceptances? Ouch.

:( Gotta LOCI it up!

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Fri May 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Just got an email from Dean Richard saying they admitted a number of people this week and anticipate that they will bring more on in the next few weeks and to hang tight. Anyone else??

sk08

Postby sk08 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:33 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Just got an email from Dean Richard saying they admitted a number of people this week and anticipate that they will bring more on in the next few weeks and to hang tight. Anyone else??

+1...

i would really love to know if they expect to admit anyone into the part-time program. they rejected so many people they have to have an idea of where their class size stands.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Fri May 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Did people just get another WL update email inviting them to continue waiting?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”