Michigan to admit ex-con? Really?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Oblomov

Re: Michigan to admit ex-con? Really?

Postby Oblomov » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:05 am

Veritas2010 wrote:Because he was:

(a) in JAIL
(b) he probably didn't have anything else to do
(c) Yes, I WAS/AM a good boy and it's not fair because I didn't rob banks, I worked two jobs throughout high school and college. I don't even have a parking ticket.

And circumstances/shircumstances ... I really hope that UMich doesn't take him. That's a terrible precedent. He can go to a Tier 4, if he wants to go that badly...

You also haven't had a cert petition granted, have you?

God forbid you judge a man for what he can do and is now than for what he did in the past.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 am

--ImageRemoved--

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:19 am

vanwinkle wrote:From what I said in the other thread where all this was hashed out already:

vanwinkle wrote:Here are my thoughts on the matter:

Shouldn't everybody want this guy to succeed? I mean, this guy is the archetype of the reformed felon. Do we want to give people positive things to look forward to so that if they change and learn to contribute we will accept them into society, or do we want to label them, "once a felon, always a felon"?

And if he ends up taking federal money, from student loans or public school grants or whatever... The government pays for the education of so many graduate students. It's going to end up paying for a huge chunk of mine if I go into PI work, and I'm just some guy. It pays for the educations of many others who end up wasting that money, dropping out, or taking the money and then bolting to higher-paying corporate work as soon as they've fulfilled their government obligations. Why shouldn't it pay to educate ex-cons, especially if it helps those people be this productive, benefit others, and stop being harmful toward society?

I'd rather taxpayers fund his education than end up having to fund his reincarceration.

Very well said. Was conflicted on this, but this is an excellent point.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:26 am

dude you're running my name through the mud. :|

stick to posting about your acceptance.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 am

Veritas wrote:dude you're running my name through the mud. :|

I keep thinking that when I see him post. You should bribe a mod to change his name without his consent.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:38 am

vanwinkle wrote:

I keep thinking that when I see him post. You should bribe a mod to change his name without his consent.

(maybe if we ignore it, it will just go away)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 am

Veritas wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I've found that only inconsistently works, so I just find ways to persistently aggravate them until the frustration they experience outweighs the fun they get and they leave. I have a far higher success rate that way.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:47 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Veritas wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I've found that only inconsistently works, so I just find ways to persistently aggravate them until the frustration they experience outweighs the fun they get and they leave. I have a far higher success rate that way.

I'm not very good at doing that/don't care enough...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 am

Veritas wrote:I'm not very good at doing that/don't care enough...

Don't worry, though, I am. :lol:

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Same. When I first read the post, I wondered what could have happened to Veritas to make him suddenly stink it up so bad.

I also vote for bribing the mods and force-changing OP's handle.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Edited: I don't like being mean.
Last edited by SamSeaborn2016 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bradley

Postby bradley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Delete.
Last edited by bradley on Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 pm

bradley wrote:It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be admitted. Looks like Prof. Richard Freidman doesn't have as much pull as he thinks...

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/default.aspx

Prof. Freidman himself wrote an editorial where he said that his statements were overstated by the press and he does not think a seat should be reserved for this individual; however he does advocate for him to be reviewed and his background (softs) fully considered by the UM admissions committee.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 pm

bradley wrote:It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be admitted. Looks like Prof. Richard Freidman doesn't have as much pull as he thinks...

Even without the rec of Freidman I cannot imagine that at least some T-14 schools wouldn't jump at the chance to take the guy. After all, how many people on TLS have done what this guy did?

Right, none.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Jerome wrote:

Even without the rec of Freidman I cannot imagine that at least some T-14 schools wouldn't jump at the chance to take the guy. After all, how many people on TLS have done what this guy did?

Right, none.

I have!

...oh wait, you meant the Supreme Court thing, not the bank robbing thing. Carry on, then.

But seriously, more power to this guy. And since it's likely I'll be at Michigan in the fall, if anyone tries to protest about him entering I'll mock them roundly. Or something.

bradley

Postby bradley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Delete.
Last edited by bradley on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 am

I simply don't get this attitude.

I applied to Michigan and would love to go there. I don't have a criminal record. Yet, I wouldn't have a problem with this guy getting my spot after what he's accomplished. It's hard, but people can change.

You don't like that he's out of prison? Advocate for longer sentences. But he's paid the debt that the court prescribed, and shouldn't be consigned to a life of ostracism because of his mistake -- especially if he's shown the ability to learn from it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 am

autarkh wrote:I simply don't get this attitude.

I applied to Michigan and would love to go there. I don't have a criminal record. Yet, I wouldn't have a problem with this guy getting my spot after what he's accomplished. It's hard, but people can change.

You don't like that he's out of prison? Advocate for longer sentences. But he's paid the debt that the court prescribed, and shouldn't be consigned to a life of ostracism because of his mistake -- especially if he's shown the ability to learn from it.

This.

Veritas2010

Postby Veritas2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Okay Veritas. I'll take your advice. In fact, I won't be on TLS that much anymore (just got into my top choice today) so you can look forward to being the only active Veritas here. Peace.

Oh & to everyone who got offended, sorry about starting this thread. I should have just kept my thoughts/anxiety to myself.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Veritas2010 wrote:

Okay Veritas. I'll take your advice. In fact, I won't be on TLS that much anymore (just got into my top choice today) so you can look forward to being the only active Veritas here. Peace.

Oh & to everyone who got offended, sorry about starting this thread. I should have just kept my thoughts/anxiety to myself.

congrats on your acceptance!! that must be really exciting.

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:42 am

Veritas2010 wrote:

more like your hatred and intolerance of humans

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”