Michigan to admit ex-con? Really? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas2010

New

Michigan to admit ex-con? Really?

Post by Veritas2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 am

WTH???!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/us/09 ... terstitial

Are they SERIOUSLY going to admit a con? Meanwhile people like moi get ulcers over library fines ... nice.

Hey maybe this is the soft Yale needs! Yes - going to jail is the new Fulbright. *bangs head on wall*

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Re: Michigan to admit ex-con? Really?

Post by JetstoRJC » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 am

Not to be mean...but how many of these threads do we have already?

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 am

1) http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=107289

2) I don't really understand why people are getting into such a hussy about this. Did you read the article? The guy obviously has some talent. Are you just upset because you were a real good boy and it's just NOT FAIR that he gets to go to law school too despite his mistakes? Grow up.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 am

jelizabeth88 wrote:1) http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=107289

2) I don't really understand why people are getting into such a hussy about this. Did you read the article? The guy obviously has some talent. Are you just upset because you were a real good boy and it's just NOT FAIR that he gets to go to law school too despite his mistakes? Grow up.
+1 he did bust his ass in the law library for 10+ years.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:16 am

nooyyllib wrote:

Doesn't erase his record though. I wouldn't want him as my lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:17 am

robin600 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

You would if you were arrested.... Hell, I'd hire him in a heart beat. He's sure to have a great criminal defense career.

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:18 am

robin600 wrote: Doesn't erase his record though. I wouldn't want him as my lawyer.
eh, i think it gives him a little edge. you know...he's really been there. As in, if I ever rob a bank and intimidate the tellers I would definitely want him as my lawyer.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 am

robin600 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

If you read the article, he didn't harm anyone. He learned from his experience. Not sure what the reason behind his actions were but it's not like he was a rapist or pedophile.

I mean it's hard for people to change but some DO change.

Veritas2010

New

Post by Veritas2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 am

Because he was:

(a) in JAIL
(b) he probably didn't have anything else to do
(c) Yes, I WAS/AM a good boy and it's not fair because I didn't rob banks, I worked two jobs throughout high school and college. I don't even have a parking ticket.

And circumstances/shircumstances ... I really hope that UMich doesn't take him. That's a terrible precedent. He can go to a Tier 4, if he wants to go that badly...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 am

robin600 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

Plus, his record doesn't say anything about his ability to perform as a lawyer. Ad hominem flaw.....

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 am

Very cool story!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

Veritas2010 wrote:Because he was:

(a) in JAIL
(c) Yes, I WAS/AM a good boy and it's not fair because I didn't rob banks, I worked two jobs throughout high school and college. I don't even have a parking ticket.

And circumstances/shircumstances ... I really hope that UMich doesn't take him. That's a terrible precedent. He can go to a Tier 4, if he wants to go that badly...
I sense jealousy and extreme bias.

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

Veritas2010 wrote:Because he was:

(a) in JAIL

Why is it not fair? Why does it make a difference what the school's ranking is?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

who cares? You should worry about yourself. Why didn't you write a supreme court petition, or get a better lsat score, or higher gpa?

That man was in prison and he did that. What's stoping you?

Life is not fair. Deal with it.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 am

nycparalegal wrote:who cares? You should worry about yourself. Why didn't you write a supreme court petition, or get a better lsat score, or higher gpa?

That man was in prison and he did that. What's stoping you?

Life is not fair. Deal with it.
+1

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 am

JetstoRJC wrote:Not to be mean...but how many of these threads do we have already?
Not to feed the thread topic that won't seem to die, but I would be curious to see the list of related topics... Wasn't there a poll up earlier today on how entitled 0Ls feel by comparison before mods rightly started dropping the hammer?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 am

nooyyllib wrote:
Plus, his record doesn't say anything about his ability to perform as a lawyer. Ad hominem flaw.....
It's not that I don't think he'd be a good lawyer, I just wouldn't want him to be MY lawyer. I can't sit with the fact that someone who did something that big is now working for the other side. It's not like you'd hire a terrorist to come up with an anti-terrorism program. IDK can't get past it. Maybe I'm misguided, but I don't think he deserves it (i'm probably gonna get slaughtered for that).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 am

Veritas2010 wrote:WTH???!

Are they SERIOUSLY going to admit a con? Meanwhile people like moi get ulcers over library fines ... nice.

Hey maybe this is the soft Yale needs! Yes - going to jail is the new Fulbright. *bangs head on wall*
Would it help if I told you that the difference between you and him is not your criminal history, it's that he's really smart?

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 am

robin600 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
It's not that I don't think he'd be a good lawyer, I just wouldn't want him to be MY lawyer. I can't sit with the fact that someone who did something that big is now working for the other side. It's not like you'd hire a terrorist to come up with an anti-terrorism program. IDK can't get past it. Maybe I'm misguided, but I don't think he deserves it (i'm probably gonna get slaughtered for that).
You're really equating the two? Also, how do you think we gather intelligence?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 am

robin600 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
so you won't hire him if you are in deep trouble and he has 100% acquittal rate + so many other things that can get you acquitted? let's be realistic here.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am

"fair" - lol. maybe law is the wrong profession for OP. as an attorney you are most likely going to have to spend 30 years dealing with or defending "unfair" or prosecuting the fair so the unfair can win. life, it isn't fair. hth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am

tomhobbes wrote:
Veritas2010 wrote:WTH???!

Would it help if I told you that the difference between you and him is not your criminal history, it's that he's really smart?
you hit the nail on the head.

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 am

If you read his story and come to the conclusion that he's going to get into Michigan because of his criminal history, and not the amazing things he accomplished while in prison, you don't deserve to go to a top school. He's qualified IN SPITE OF, not BECAUSE OF his criminal past.

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 am

robin600 wrote:It's not like you'd hire a terrorist to come up with an anti-terrorism program. IDK can't get past it.
An ex-terrorist would be extremely valuable to anti-terrorist operations, for the same reason why large companies who get hacked will hire the hackers to work for them rather than try to prosecute them.

Veritas2010

New

Post by Veritas2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 am

I knew that I'd get bashed for this.

I'm not jealous, I've gotten into a lot of good schools and I'm waiting on a few more. I would never trade in my life experiences, grades or achievements for what he has. If he is smart, he should have gone to college and done all that while he was a student, or a law-abiding citizen. We all make mistakes but I think some are more serious than others, and just being able to write great briefs shouldn't be a reason to get admitted into a great law school if one is an ex-con.

I think that someone who breaks the law shouldn't get a free pass into a great law school because all they did for 10 years was sit in a law library ... (I'm sorry if some people are offended by this. But I feel bad for all the rest of us who've followed the rules and might not get in because we're overshadowed by someone like that).

Oh, and we'll see how "qualified" he is when he takes his LSAT or his GPA comes to light.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”