The Hold/Waitlist Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darknightbegins

The Hold/Waitlist Thread

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 pm

I've been reading in other threads that we are not getting a number of people, like me, who have been put on hold or waitlisted by at least one school. Well this is the thread for you! Tell us what school(s) have assigned you to this purgatory and what you are going to do, such as LOCI, to try and get off the list. Are these your top choices that have put you on this list?

I have been put on hold at Bloomington thus far. I am going to write an LOCI tonight and mail it out tomorrow or the next day to try and get off.

Some infrom about LOCI

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169

robin600

Re: The Hold/Waitlist Thread

Postby robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 am

8 waitlists, ones I'm rigorously pursuing
Vandy
ND
UMN
W&L

LOCI's and why statements (except for ND already sent that one in with app), plus visits to schools. ND is Friday! Oh yeah and LSAT retake, we'll see how that goes!

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:17 am

GW
American
Temple

Probably gonna give up on Temple since Villanova/PSU/Pitt accepted me. LOCI for GW and American.

Everything and anything I can for GW - willing to get in tremendous debt by paying sticker. Absolute #1 choice. Already visited GW. No need to visit American.

roxbury16

Postby roxbury16 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 am

University of Florida: reviewed, but decision pending and University of Georgia: application being held for further review.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 am

nooyyllib wrote:GW
American
Temple

Probably gonna give up on Temple since Villanova/PSU/Pitt accepted me. LOCI for GW and American.

Everything and anything I can for GW - willing to get in tremendous debt by paying sticker. Absolute #1 choice. Already visited GW. No need to visit American.

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? PT or FT to GW?

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:28 am

robin600 wrote:
American
Temple

PT 159/3.33 - I'm shocked at GW myself. non-URM.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 am

nooyyllib wrote:
robin600 wrote:
American
Temple

PT 159/3.33 - I'm shocked at GW myself. non-URM.

That's awesome! I have a few wait lists myself that I'd never thought I get. I'm surprised how good I feel about some of them lol. I really hope you get in! Are you re-taking?

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:37 am

unfortunately no, took it twice already. i stopped looking at the LSAT a while ago.

I'm just hoping GW isn't "politely rejecting" me.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 am

nooyyllib wrote:unfortunately no, took it twice already. i stopped looking at the LSAT a while ago.

Nope they aren't. They flat out rejected me for PT with a 163/3.65. You're a lucky one, they like you!

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 am

robin600 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:unfortunately no, took it twice already. i stopped looking at the LSAT a while ago.

Nope they aren't. They flat out rejected me for PT with a 163/3.65. You're a lucky one, they like you!

That actually makes me feel a little better! Thanks!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 am

nooyyllib wrote:
robin600 wrote:

That actually makes me feel a little better! Thanks!

I'm glad my unfortunate events can make others feel better, lol.

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am

I am waitlist at Vandy and BC
Hold at Northwestern.
I have sent a few more recommendations into Vandy and sent LOCI to BC so far, working on my Vandy one - then next up Northwestern.
ahhhhhh I feel as though I have many more LOCI in my future

SaltnPepper17

Postby SaltnPepper17 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm

what exactly is a LOCI?

I'm Waitlisted at Wake Forest and American and have the "Reviewed, Decision pending" at U Florida

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:01 pm

SaltnPepper17 wrote:what exactly is a LOCI?

Letter of continued interest.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Held/Deferred at:

BC
Cornell
Mich

WL at:

Vandy
UIUC (WD)
UMN (WD)

sent LOCIs and extra LORs.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Priority Reserve List @ Duke
Waitlist @ UVA

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:13 pm

WL:

UCLA
Georgetown (not pref.)
Notre Dame

Hold/deferred:

Cornell
Northwestern

I had an extremely reliable source at Georgetown tell me that I wasn't getting off the regular waitlist, because no one was this year. Source said maybe I had a prayer if my Feb LSAT knocked it out of the park. So I am saving my LOCI energy until I see the score. I have zero hope on UCLA, and not much interest in ND. Sent in Cornell my "pleaassee,pleaasse I want to go to there" essay. And the Northwestern "hold" I just didn't understand, so I ignored it. What does "hold" even mean? I have this shitty feeling I will be stuck in this thread until August.

rorystewart

Postby rorystewart » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm

jks289 wrote: I have zero hope on UCLA, and not much interest in ND.

What have you observed that makes you hopeless for UCLA?

Also, anyone here have thoughts on taking the June LSAT? Do schools accept new LSAT scores from WListers? Is June too late?

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:23 pm

rorystewart wrote:

Also, anyone here have thoughts on taking the June LSAT? Do schools accept new LSAT scores from WListers? Is June too late?

I'm not taking the June LSAT because I already took it twice, but I heard some waitlist decisions go out till August. So June LSAT wouldn't hurt.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 pm

rorystewart wrote:

Just the reputation that it is a black pit of dispair. I am writing a LOCI and staying on the WL. But the word on the street (whatever its worth) is that very, very few people get off the list (single digits out of hundreds). Of course this year maybe the tuition increase will change that, but with applications up overall, I doubt it.

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:42 pm

WL:
Wake Forest

Held for further review:
SMU

UFPilot

Postby UFPilot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm

Held at Samford since late November.

Wrote a LOCI and sent an additional letter of rec.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:49 pm

jks289 wrote:WL:

UCLA
Georgetown (not pref.)
Notre Dame

Hold/deferred:

Cornell
Northwestern

I had an extremely reliable source at Georgetown tell me that I wasn't getting off the regular waitlist, because no one was this year. Source said maybe I had a prayer if my Feb LSAT knocked it out of the park. So I am saving my LOCI energy until I see the score. I have zero hope on UCLA, and not much interest in ND. Sent in Cornell my "pleaassee,pleaasse I want to go to there" essay. And the Northwestern "hold" I just didn't understand, so I ignored it. What does "hold" even mean? I have this shitty feeling I will be stuck in this thread until August.

I hear you. I feel a hold is like purgatory. I'd almost perfer a rejection so that I could move on with my decisions, but putting me on hold feels like putting a treat infront of a dog. The dog knows it probably won't get, but he can't help but hold out hope that maybe his master will be nice this time.

rorystewart

Postby rorystewart » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Is there any downside to retaking the LSAT in June? Because it sounds like a win/win. Unless LSAC sends the score out to all my schools automatically. If I bomb the new test, will my WL schools hear about it?

My hope is that I could see my score, and then tell LSAC whether to update my schools or not.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:22 pm

rorystewart wrote:Is there any downside to retaking the LSAT in June? Because it sounds like a win/win. Unless LSAC sends the score out to all my schools automatically. If I bomb the new test, will my WL schools hear about it?

My hope is that I could see my score, and then tell LSAC whether to update my schools or not.

LSAC tells the schools so there is no hiding a score unfortunately. But if you are on a waitlist, a higher LSAT score can't hurt....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”