UMiami HOLD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
secretasianman

UMiami HOLD

Postby secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 am

So, I've been put in the "HOLD" category at UMiami. What does this mean? I think I read somewhere on TLS that being in HOLD is better than being waitlisted. But, what does this mean? Are chances good that I'll be admitted?

amputatedbrain

Re: UMiami HOLD

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 am

Yes it's much better than a waitlist. It means that the school has decided to put off making a decision on your file until later . . . essentially, it's not a decision at all, just telling you you're still in the mix. At some point you will be admit/deny/waitlist, but they probably want to see the entire applicant pool before making a decision, essentially to see if they can do better I gather. Not sure what the odds of getting in afterwards are, but it mean that you're at least under some type of serious consideration . . . if it's a top choice, you could write an LOCI at this time

secretasianman

Postby secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 am

amputatedbrain wrote:Yes it's much better than a waitlist. It means that the school has decided to put off making a decision on your file until later . . . essentially, it's not a decision at all, just telling you you're still in the mix. At some point you will be admit/deny/waitlist, but they probably want to see the entire applicant pool before making a decision, essentially to see if they can do better I gather. Not sure what the odds of getting in afterwards are, but it mean that you're at least under some type of serious consideration . . . if it's a top choice, you could write an LOCI at this time

Thx for the input. What do people usually write in a LOCI? I know it stands for letter of continued interest but I really have no idea what to write. And do you know when schools make decisions for ppl on HOLD? Is it right around April?

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 am

I was held at Miami also. They said they'll make a decision before April rolls around so who knows. I sent a LOCI specifically talking about Miami Law. Essentially it was a "Why Miami," just much more specific. I also contacted a few other attorneys I know in the Miami Dade area to submit letters on my behalf.... It's nice since it gives you time to pad your application.

secretasianman

Postby secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:I was held at Miami also. They said they'll make a decision before April rolls around so who knows. I sent a LOCI specifically talking about Miami Law. Essentially it was a "Why Miami," just much more specific. I also contacted a few other attorneys I know in the Miami Dade area to submit letters on my behalf.... It's nice since it gives you time to pad your application.

email? hand written letter? typed? does it matter? haha. and uhh how long/what do i put in a "WHy X" letter? haven't written one yet

edit: and good luck!

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 am

I'd also like an answer to this. I got a HOLD from FSU and Indiana at Bloomington. Any advised length of a LOCI? Anything specific about the content?

secretasianman

Postby secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I'd also like an answer to this. I got a HOLD from FSU and Indiana at Bloomington. Any advised length of a LOCI? Anything specific about the content?

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

secretasianman wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:I was held at Miami also. They said they'll make a decision before April rolls around so who knows. I sent a LOCI specifically talking about Miami Law. Essentially it was a "Why Miami," just much more specific. I also contacted a few other attorneys I know in the Miami Dade area to submit letters on my behalf.... It's nice since it gives you time to pad your application.

email? hand written letter? typed? does it matter? haha. and uhh how long/what do i put in a "WHy X" letter? haven't written one yet

edit: and good luck!

Although you could send the LOCI by e-mail, the conventional wisdom is that it's better to send a typed and signed letter by snail mail. The reason for this is that when you send a letter, you know that someone at the admissions office has to physically open it, read it, and then go place it in your file. These offices probably get hundreds of emails a day, and your LOCI could easily get lost in the shuffle and ignored if you send it that way. Also a letter is just classier and shows more effort.

As for the content, just put something in that explains why it's such a top choice for you, maybe highlight some specific programs or faculty that you're excited about, or whatever other reasons you have (family in the area, etc etc)

secretasianman

Postby secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm

do you know about how long? single or double spaced? (serious question, haha)

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:49 am

secretasianman wrote:do you know about how long? single or double spaced? (serious question, haha)

1 page, single spaced

snuggleuffagus

Postby snuggleuffagus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 am

I hear they put holds on people named Abdul.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”