Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I saw that it was just an unsolicited viewbook from Thomas Jefferson. Really ruined my afternoon coming down off that "packet in the mailbox" rush.

Best part was the letter that came with it though

"Dear ********,

Do you want to spend your legal career working for the man at some soulless corporate law firm? If so, then Thomas Jefferson School of Law may not be the place for you."

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 pm

"...Instead, you can be unemployed with enormous debt! Come to Thomas Jefferson, the worst law school west of the Mississippi!"

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby horriblegb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm

This happened to me, but a packet from Kentucky, I was so excited and then was literally angry with rage! haha

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 am

Yeah Thomas Jefferson...I got something like that from Regents a few months back...I was sorry for the trees that died to make that paper.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 am

Having already committed to a law school I still get occasional info. from Cooley, etc. The other day I got one from Mid Continent University. I had never heard of it but assumed was just some shitty school. When I noticed it was in KY I opened it because I knew no such law school existed in KY. Turns out it was a packet of information on obtaining an online masters. Do people actually read these packets and say well I wasn't planning on getting a Master's but Mid Continent was so persuasive they convinced me to do it online?

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:08 am

At least it wasn't for an online law degree...Just imagine, you too could have a law degree from Devry.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:18 am

darknightbegins wrote:At least it wasn't for an online law degree...Just imagine, you too could have a law degree from Devry.


Really you can get a Devry law degree? I wonder if any of these fine institutions offer a JD/Master's combo?

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 am

Nah I don't think Devry offers one, but I have seen websites that advertise an online Law Degree. Maybe you can get a JD/MBA, Wall Street here I come!

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:23 am

ITT: TLSers take a blanket shit on people who cant get into top schools

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby tsub » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 am

I received a packet from SMU with a fee waiver in the fall and submitted my application.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a large packet in the mail from SMU. It was the exact same packet, complete with the fee waiver and everything. Ugh...

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby eandy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 am

I got a Cooley thing today. Why, I have no idea.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby jayn3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:07 am

pleasetryagain wrote:ITT: TLSers take a blanket shit on people who cant get into top schools


don't deny it. unsolicited packages from the TTT, in general, cause a curious mixture of rage and elitism resulting in a temporary lift in mood. it's a legitimate medical phenomenon, look for it in the DSM-V

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 am

pleasetryagain wrote:ITT: TLSers take a blanket shit on people who cant get into top schools


Not how I meant it . . . see your point though.
Just thought it was funny

TJ as law school to break out of corporate mold = Cooley above Stanford in rank

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 am

2 days in a row LLS sent me a BIG packet with the same single letter and pamphlet....2 days!

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 am

Veritas wrote:2 days in a row LLS sent me a BIG packet with the same single letter and pamphlet....2 days!


I've gotten about 5 postcards from Appalachian reminding me how great their moot court team did

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 am

amputatedbrain wrote:
Veritas wrote:2 days in a row LLS sent me a BIG packet with the same single letter and pamphlet....2 days!


I've gotten about 5 postcards from Appalachian reminding me how great their moot court team did

something to consider :wink:

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby galahad85 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:20 am

.
Last edited by galahad85 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 am

Veritas wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
Veritas wrote:2 days in a row LLS sent me a BIG packet with the same single letter and pamphlet....2 days!


I've gotten about 5 postcards from Appalachian reminding me how great their moot court team did

something to consider :wink:


I bet the cost of living in Grundy, VA is real sweet too :D

User avatar
TrialsOfMiles
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 am

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby TrialsOfMiles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 am

Shouldn't a website called TLS ..."Top - Law - Schools" ... be entitled to at least some degree of elitism? Having just taken the Feb. LSAT, I am in no way an authority on the matter - however I certainly didn't spend months perusing these boards in hopes of finding the magic bullet to break 150 ..nay, it was more "how can I get a 170?"

Meaning, I came and stayed here for advice on how to get into TOP law schools. If I was aiming for < T30 then I would have googled (yes, the verb) "fair to good law schools....dot com"

IMO. :)

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby jayn3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 am

galahad85 wrote:I got this exact packet from TJ a couple days ago. What a cruel joke.

What's more annoying though is when it's a large packet from a school you've actually applied to... but then it turns out to just be more marketing materials, rather than that long-awaited decision (USC, I'm looking at you).


balls. i'd consider withdrawing just for that.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 am

amputatedbrain wrote:
Veritas wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
Veritas wrote:2 days in a row LLS sent me a BIG packet with the same single letter and pamphlet....2 days!


I've gotten about 5 postcards from Appalachian reminding me how great their moot court team did

something to consider :wink:


I bet the cost of living in Grundy, VA is real sweet too :D

Just don't go getting shot :shock:

(did you hear about that?)

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 am

Veritas wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
I bet the cost of living in Grundy, VA is real sweet too :D

Just don't go getting shot :shock:

(did you hear about that?)


Nah, but just wikipedia'd it. Although I think it's actually extra points for Grundy . . . a couple other law students subdued the gunman with their own personal firearms

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 am

amputatedbrain wrote:
Veritas wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
I bet the cost of living in Grundy, VA is real sweet too :D

Just don't go getting shot :shock:

(did you hear about that?)


Nah, but just wikipedia'd it. Although I think it's actually extra points for Grundy . . . a couple other law students subdued the gunman with their own personal firearms

:lol: ya, you can look at it that way. Not sure why they are carrying firearms while in class...

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 am

Veritas wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
Veritas wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
I bet the cost of living in Grundy, VA is real sweet too :D

Just don't go getting shot :shock:

(did you hear about that?)


Nah, but just wikipedia'd it. Although I think it's actually extra points for Grundy . . . a couple other law students subdued the gunman with their own personal firearms

:lol: ya, you can look at it that way. Not sure why they are carrying firearms while in class...


"I'm gonna make you squeal piggy"

User avatar
gochrisgo
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Opened my mailbox, huge packet inside, but then . . .

Postby gochrisgo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:44 am

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”