Is this unusual? (NYU and Columbia related)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Canadian

Is this unusual? (NYU and Columbia related)

Postby Canadian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Is it unusual that I was accepted at NYU over a month ago, yet I have not heard one peep from Columbia?

CardinalRules

Re: Is this unusual? (NYU and Columbia related)

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Canadian wrote:Is it unusual that I was accepted at NYU over a month ago, yet I have not heard one peep from Columbia?

In a word: no. The two schools have no relation whatsoever beyond geographical proximity. You'll find many TLS-ers in your position.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm

managamy wrote:
Canadian wrote:Is it unusual that I was accepted at NYU over a month ago, yet I have not heard one peep from Columbia?

In a word: no. The two schools have no relation whatsoever beyond geographical proximity. You'll find many TLS-ers in your position.

+1

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:53 pm

managamy wrote:

That and being right next to each other in the rankings...

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:58 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
managamy wrote:

And the fact that both have an O in their name...

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
managamy wrote:

And the fact that both have an O in their name...

I actually find that fact less curious than the fact that their names. share no other letters.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 pm

managamy wrote:And the fact that both have an O in their name...

I actually find that fact less curious than the fact that their names. share no other letters.[/quote]

I find it curious that you spell either 'Columbia' or 'University' without a U or I and have been (or will be) accepted to both of these schools.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

I actually find that fact less curious than the fact that their names. share no other letters.

I find it curious that you spell either 'Columbia' or 'University' without a U or I and have been (or will be) accepted to both of these schools.[/quote]

I don't think that we can count "University" as one of the words, since every school has that word in its name.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:29 pm

managamy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I find it curious that you spell either 'Columbia' or 'University' without a U or I and have been (or will be) accepted to both of these schools.

I don't think that we can count "University" as one of the words, since every school has that word in its name.[/quote]

I would accept that argument if it was NY instead of NYU. For some schools the 'University' is required, and for some like Columbia it isn't.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
managamy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I don't think that we can count "University" as one of the words, since every school has that word in its name.

I would accept that argument if it was NY instead of NYU. For some schools the 'University' is required, and for some like Columbia it isn't.[/quote]

Because a NYLS exists, lol.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
managamy wrote:I don't think that we can count "University" as one of the words, since every school has that word in its name.

I would accept that argument if it was NY instead of NYU. For some schools the 'University' is required, and for some like Columbia it isn't.

Doesn't that mean you accept his argument?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 pm

This thread has gone from completely boring to completely awesome.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:42 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
managamy wrote:I don't think that we can count "University" as one of the words, since every school has that word in its name.

Marshall Eriksen wrote:Lawyered.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:17 am

tomhobbes wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I don't see how. Maybe I'm not in the know, but I thought people refered to the school as New York University or NYU. Perhaps you can spell out how why my logic dictates I accept his arugment. Does it help if I say my hidden assumption was that for NYU 'University' is required and essential part of the name?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 am

Jericwithers wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I don't see how. Maybe I'm not in the know, but I thought people refered to the school as New York University or NYU. Perhaps you can spell out how why my logic dictates I accept his arugment. Does it help if I say my hidden assumption was that for NYU 'University' is required and essential part of the name?

Actually, you might be credited. My Columbia letter says "Columbia Law School."

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 am

Jericwithers wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Hey, I'm the one asking questions here.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am

En Why You

Columbia

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am

tomhobbes wrote:
Hey, I'm the one asking questions here.

Lawyer to witness: "Would you be more willing to say that Charlie killed David if I tell you that it happened around 8 pm? Or does it help if I say that it happened around 10 pm? Which set of facts makes it easier for you to say what I need you to say?"

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 am

tomhobbes wrote:Hey, I'm the one asking questions here.

I like this short response alot more than the one that ended up with the same spelling flaw I came here to point out. To answer your question more clearly: no.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”