Willamette 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akarmenia1

New

Re: Willamette 2010

Post by akarmenia1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 am

sneakpreview wrote:In 2/22 with a renewable $8k scholarship. Went complete in November.

2.99 / 151
Are you a URM?

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:43 pm

sneakpreview wrote:In 2/22 with a renewable $8k scholarship. Went complete in November.

2.99 / 151

Yes, I'm a URM.

I JUST WANT IN!

New

Post by I JUST WANT IN! » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Received a waitlist letter over the weekend and sent my LOCI in today. What are the odds of getting taken off the waitlist?

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:55 pm

which would you pick?

Golden Gate or Willamette? Both equivalent scholarships provided

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm

haylie wrote:which would you pick?

Golden Gate or Willamette? Both equivalent scholarships provided
Personally, I'd pick Willamette. It's ranked higher, and the cost of living in OR is significantly lower than CA. That being said, it really is a matter of where you want to work once you graduate as they are both regional schools. Willamette is leading the pack for me unless I get into Oregon or USD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Who is going for sure?

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:41 pm

sneakpreview wrote:Who is going for sure?
I'm probably going. I'm in at Seattle but with no $$$, and UO hasn't gotten back to me. I'm visiting all the schools this coming week so that should help. Willamette is giving me 12,000/year, so I'm not sure paying extra for Seattle (or UO) is worth it, especially since I know people who have gone to Willamette and are doing great.

jdenquist

New

Post by jdenquist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Got in last week with a $14k scholarship. Turning it down. Got into Utah, so I don't have to move the family and sell my house in a down economy.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 pm

So is anyone here from the Salem area or familiar with it? I'm about to visit but it would be nice to hear some insider info on the place!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 am

Anyone going to admitted students day?

cbatson

New

Post by cbatson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 am

amorfati42 wrote:So is anyone here from the Salem area or familiar with it? I'm about to visit but it would be nice to hear some insider info on the place!

I'm currently finishing my undergrad degree at Willamette so I have a pretty good handle on the area. The campus is great and I have enjoyed my four years here but the city definitely leaves something to be desired. I think most of the problem is with how sprawled out the whole area is. The downtown shuts down by 7 most days and their isn't a whole lot of nightlife.

That said, Salem is only 45 minutes from Portland which is an amazing city and helps to make up for what Salem is lacking. The cost of living in Salem is dirt cheap which is definitely a positive. There are a lot of attempts to revitalize the city but I'm not sure how successful they will be.

The law school itself is pretty no frills but it's definitely nice. I'm guessing that the community there is pretty strong because there just aren't a ton of classrooms. I've enjoyed all the administrators and teachers I've met there which is definitely nice.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Deposited today! Unless Oregon accepts me I'll be in Salem come August!

I visited last week and really enjoyed it. Yes, Salem is boring (I'm from Austin, TX, so it's definitely a downgrade), but that might be a plus for studying in law school. Also if you need nightlife you can drive to Portland. All the staff and students were very outgoing and welcoming. The school also claims they have the highest bar passage in OR, and that they perform strong on the WA bar as well.

Anyone going to be looking for a roommate in Salem? I'm hoping to find a 2br/bath and share with another student.

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:12 pm

amorfati42 wrote:Deposited today! Unless Oregon accepts me I'll be in Salem come August!

I visited last week and really enjoyed it. Yes, Salem is boring (I'm from Austin, TX, so it's definitely a downgrade), but that might be a plus for studying in law school. Also if you need nightlife you can drive to Portland. All the staff and students were very outgoing and welcoming. The school also claims they have the highest bar passage in OR, and that they perform strong on the WA bar as well.

Anyone going to be looking for a roommate in Salem? I'm hoping to find a 2br/bath and share with another student.

Amforati42, I sent you pm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megmp7

New

Post by megmp7 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 pm

sneakpreview wrote:Who is going for sure?

I'm likely going. Living in Corvallis and still haven't heard from UofO. Withdrew at L&C last week. Was offered $$$ at Willamette and I enjoyed my visit when I was there in February. Unless Oregon comes in with some crazy offer in the next ten days, I'll be in Salem come fall.

bThornRPL

New

Post by bThornRPL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:44 pm

amorfati42 wrote:Deposited today! Unless Oregon accepts me I'll be in Salem come August!

Since you visited...

I'm in with a little $, but haven't visited.

You're from Austin (a really sweet city, I've been), and I'm from Lubbock.
Are you familiar with Lubbock? If so, what would you think about the change of scenery from that perspective?

As far as the "boring" aspect of Salem, I can't help but feel like I'll still come out ahead on that aspect of the law school experience. I've always wanted to try to get down to Austin, for example. It was never in the cards, but Salem (Oregon) seems cool from this dusty ol' little city atop the high plains of Texas. Rain, ocean, mountains, Portland...

Anyone feel me?

I'm still to hear back from five other schools, including Texas Tech (more lubbock), none of which sound as much like the way to go as Willamette...well, except U of O.

So I think I'll be there. 1/2 deposit's down. I'm looking to room in a house within biking distance.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Withdrew today. Was offered 25k a year, so I hope one of you gets it.

LawMuns

New

Post by LawMuns » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Waitlisted today

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Sat May 01, 2010 2:35 am

Anyone have any advice for getting off the wait list?

I JUST WANT IN!

New

Post by I JUST WANT IN! » Thu May 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Write a LOCI and if possible, schedual a meeting with the Dean of Admissions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”