Berkeley Support: UR early (Oct-Dec), No FR, just confused

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sandiecohen47

Re: Berkeley Support: UR early (Oct-Dec), No FR, just confused

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Veritas wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:Veritas, thank you for starting this thread!

I'm here, reporting for duty since 11/18 UR. No rejection, only silence.

I have money on you getting in :wink:

Wait, real money? I have a bet with my boyfriend that I won't get in. If I get in, I owe him a night out at our favorite bar. If I don't, he owes me the same thing. I think I've annoyed the crap out of him with all this "what does it all mean?! Why, Dean Tom, why?!" stuff.

But seriously, if I get in... you best be getting in, too. Your love for Dean Tom is purer than mine.

:lol:

I might put money on it, I'm pretty sure I'll win. But maybe I just covet your UCLA acceptance and hope to take that spot once you withdraw from Berk.

I'll put money on the fact that you won't need me to withdraw. You'll get into UCLA on your own. Don't lose hope yet!

Anyway, are we an unprecedented group or did the same thing happen last year? Does anyone know? LSN doesn't paint the clearest of pictures about whether there has been a purgatory group just like us in the past.

jsong10

Postby jsong10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 pm

I've never posted before but i have to for this one.....SO CONFUSED that I'm not hearing back from Dean Tom (went UR 11/9). I love love love Berkeley so much and will go there in a heartbeat...cold new england weather is not doing it for me.........haha i haven't written a LOCI because i didn't want to sound desperate, but now I'm wondering if i should...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:55 pm

jsong10 wrote:I've never posted before but i have to for this one.....SO CONFUSED that I'm not hearing back from Dean Tom (went UR 11/9). I love love love Berkeley so much and will go there in a heartbeat...cold new england weather is not doing it for me.........haha i haven't written a LOCI because i didn't want to sound desperate, but now I'm wondering if i should...

I wouldn't until you are either WLed or FR and really have something new to add.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Did you guys augment your PS to specifically related to Berk? I took mine a little longer to express some specific interests.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Veritas wrote:Did you guys augment your PS to specifically related to Berk? I took mine a little longer to express some specific interests.

I did, but it was probably really weak. I made it have a liberal slant because, well, you know why.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 pm

I think I have all you guys beat, UR 10/19...I win!!!! I think I should be admitted just on the virtue of patience.

zenithtonadir

Postby zenithtonadir » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Veritas wrote:Did you guys augment your PS to specifically related to Berk? I took mine a little longer to express some specific interests.

I wrote my PS to include a lot about my academic/professional interests and ambitions and how they related to/stemmed from specific softs and whathaveyou. Basically I did the old indirect: I know that Boalt is strong in X, so I'll talk about my strong, sustained interest in X*.

O, how I hope it worked!

*Edit: And by X I mean: queer, public interest interests, environment, liberal, liberal, liberal, liberal.
Last edited by zenithtonadir on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 pm

I didn't write my PS specifically for Berkeley but I took all four pages. What I do for a living is pretty much on the leftist side of things. Maybe they're making us lefties wait?

I also spent time with an organization that is extremely leftist and arguably controversial. I almost considered taking it off my resume but thought it might help me stand out in a positive way. Now I'm not so sure...

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 pm

10/19 here too.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:20 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:I didn't write my PS specifically for Berkeley but I took all four pages. What I do for a living is pretty much on the leftist side of things. Maybe they're making us lefties wait?

I also spent time with an organization that is extremely leftist and arguably controversial. I almost considered taking it off my resume but thought it might help me stand out in a positive way. Now I'm not so sure...

Were you in charge of ACORN's pimp tax evasion unit? At least you are an established liberal; they just had to take me at my word.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:I didn't write my PS specifically for Berkeley but I took all four pages. What I do for a living is pretty much on the leftist side of things. Maybe they're making us lefties wait?

Were you in charge of ACORN's pimp tax evasion unit? At least you are an established liberal; they just had to take me at my word.

LOL...I wish I could tell you! Once I get a decision, I'll give my softs away.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Mine PS is more focused on an experience that led to personal development and how that lesson translates to Berkeley.

I think my DS is helping out this cycle, also. Add some good perspective to my PS.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Bah I don't see the big deal with hiding who you are on this board. It's not like you go around saying rude things or listing profanities. I hope you get accepted soon so I can know what corrupt, underground, borderline Marxist organization you are apart of.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Bah I don't see the big deal with hiding who you are on this board. It's not like you go around saying rude things or listing profanities. I hope you get accepted soon so I can know what corrupt, underground, borderline Marxist organization you are apart of.

Yeah, I just want to keep a little mystery in case Dean Tom spends the 5 seconds he has of his free time looking at TLS.

I like the idea of me being part of an underground Marxist organization. I promise you it's not as interesting as that... but I kind of wish it was.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:34 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:I like the idea of me being part of an underground Marxist organization. I promise you it's not as interesting as that... but I kind of wish it was.

Bah, I thought you were an ally. Guess you must be overthrown with the rest of the bourgeois Berk students.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:I like the idea of me being part of an underground Marxist organization. I promise you it's not as interesting as that... but I kind of wish it was.

Bah, I thought you were an ally. Guess you must be overthrown with the rest of the bourgeois Berk students.

Ha. The "best" explanation I got for why I have not heard anything was from a friend who is a Stanford grad and hates the fact that John Yoo is still allowed to teach at Berkeley. He said, "I think they're trying to become less liberal and embrace their conservative side. So, you're basically pwned." I hope he's wrong.

(edited to indicate sarcasm)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Dean Tom,

I will trade you my two nephews (who wake me up at 5am every morning) for an acceptance. This might not seem like a fair trade...well...it's not at all. In fact, you can just take them, I'll pay you.

<3 Veri

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Ha. The "best" explanation I got for why I have not heard anything was from a friend who is a Stanford grad and hates the fact that John Yoo is still allowed to teach at Berkeley. He said, "I think they're trying to become less liberal and embrace their conservative side. So, you're basically pwned." I hope he's wrong.

sweeet. This might bode well for me.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Veritas wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

SEE! You're in like Flynn!

Any predictions on when we'll hear anything? I'm hoping sometime before next Friday? But that might be a fairy tale.

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

first of all, so excited that i have another thread to stalk 200 times a day.

in my PS i added a paragraph at the end that was berkeley-specific and that tied in with what i had talked about earlier. also, UR 10/19

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Veritas wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I could benefit from them embracing their conservative side :D. My resume and personal statement portray a fairly conservative slant that I worried would hurt me at Berkeley. That and a GPA that is a tad lower then perhaps I would like it to be...

In any event, I hope we find out our decisions soon.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:24 pm

wow, you all have great numbers and acceptances. Makes me feel :oops: to be in your presence ::bows::

JetstoRJC wrote:
Veritas wrote: :lol:

I could benefit from them embracing their conservative side :D. My resume and personal statement portray a fairly conservative slant that I worried would hurt me at Berkeley. That and a GPA that is a tad lower then perhaps I would like it to be...

My PS definitely has a certain omniscient quality peaking through, but my resume should balance me out. My hippy major helps, too :lol:

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Veritas wrote:wow, you all have great numbers and acceptances. Makes me feel :oops: to be in your presence ::bows::

JetstoRJC wrote:
Veritas wrote: :lol:

My PS definitely has a certain omniscient quality peaking through, but my resume should balance me out. My hippy major helps, too :lol:

I thought I was the only basket weaving major applying to Berk. Guess we will have to fight to the death for the spot (eh, you can have it--your determination would win).

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 pm

I thought it might hurt my app (the major) but it seems to be intriguing. I doubt any other applicant will have the same one, which could add a little something something.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Veritas wrote:I thought it might hurt my app (the major) but it seems to be intriguing. I doubt any other applicant will have the same one, which could add a little something something.

With all the Dear Tom letters you've written, I'd be surprised if a unique major is the only "something something" you are offering in exchange for an acceptance. Mind sharing your major? I wasn't trying to make fun of your "hippy major"; I'm a business student so you can't anything duller than that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”