Berkeley Support: UR early (Oct-Dec), No FR, just confused

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
td6624

Re: Berkeley Support: UR early (Oct-Dec), No FR, just confused

Postby td6624 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:00 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:Guys, I don't know. Do you think Dean Tom might have to look over who the faculty accepted before putting us into reject/March FR/maybe admit groups? I'm hoping for news soon... but I'm not banking on it.

Maybe. But until I know otherwise definitively, I'm gonna be really antsy and anxious.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:04 pm

I went under review 1/11, so I am not sure if I count, but so far, still under review and not faculty review. Not sure what to make of that. My numbers are 3.82/173, so I would have been fairly confident if I'd applied earlier in the cycle, but since I didn't apply until 12/29 I am not too optimistic, since it seems to make a huge difference at Berkeley. I know, stupid me for not applying earlier, but I didn't realize how much of a difference it made, and I was so demoralized after I took the LSAT that I couldn't bring myself to apply anywhere that I thought would be a reach with a 168-170, which is what I thought I got.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

td6624 wrote:
sandiecohen47 wrote:Guys, I don't know. Do you think Dean Tom might have to look over who the faculty accepted before putting us into reject/March FR/maybe admit groups? I'm hoping for news soon... but I'm not banking on it.

Maybe. But until I know otherwise definitively, I'm gonna be really antsy and anxious.

Who am I kidding? I will be antsy, too. Every time my cell phone rings, I scramble to see who is calling. When it's not a 510 number, I feel a little disappointed.
Last edited by sandiecohen47 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I went under review 1/11, so I am not sure if I count, but so far, still under review and not faculty review. Not sure what to make of that. My numbers are 3.82/173, so I would have been fairly confident if I'd applied earlier in the cycle, but since I didn't apply until 12/29 I am not too optimistic, since it seems to make a huge difference at Berkeley. I know, stupid me for not applying earlier, but I didn't realize how much of a difference it made, and I was so demoralized after I took the LSAT that I couldn't bring myself to apply anywhere that I thought would be a reach with a 168-170, which is what I thought I got.

I'm in your boat but with a 168. So if I still have hope, you certainly should.

I should note, however, that my level of hope for Berkeley increased significantly (and probably foolishly) only because of the rapid turnaround I got from GW/Vandy/UCLA. Maybe one of my LORs was the best anyone's ever written. Or maybe I just had lucky timing for those schools and still have no shot at Berkeley. WHATEVER I JUST WANNA KNOW.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:17 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:
td6624 wrote:

Who am I kidding? I will be antsy, too. Every time my cell phone rings, I scramble to see who is calling. When it's not a 510 number, I feel a little disappointed.

I'm the same way... I have my phone on a special profile where it only rings for emails or phone calls - it saves me that initial freakout every time I feel it vibrate. Haha now if that's not obsessed I don't know what is. I got a call on Tuesday from a number with an area code I'd never seen before & I answered soo excitedly only to discover it was a 1L at one of the safeties I'd applied to.

I was feeling pretty pessimistic/realistic until I got into UVA which was a complete surprise & the dean said he really liked my PS. Now I feel like one person giving me that hope is going to make the sting of the rejection from Berk that much worse :(

As for the AR vs. FR decisions, I think you could look at it two ways. Either they do need to release all of the FR decisions first OR they already know those decisions and/or want to send out the last (hopefully big!) batch of AR decisions before the rest of the decisions come by FR. Haha who knows, this is total guessing on my part but I'm trying to stay optimistic!

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I was feeling pretty pessimistic/realistic until I got into UVA which was a complete surprise & the dean said he really liked my PS. Now I feel like one person giving me that hope is going to make the sting of the rejection from Berk that much worse :( [/quote]

Congrats on UVA! That's definitely a great sign that you'll receive future good news.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:29 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:I was feeling pretty pessimistic/realistic until I got into UVA which was a complete surprise & the dean said he really liked my PS. Now I feel like one person giving me that hope is going to make the sting of the rejection from Berk that much worse :(

Congrats on UVA! That's definitely a great sign that you'll receive future good news.[/quote]

Thank you so much!! Like I said, total surprise... It definitely shook up my entire cycle. I hope you're right!! Fingers crossed for good news for both of us :) :) and everyone else!! Haha

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm reading with my gmail inbox open in front of me.

An e-mail from my school's career center came in.... my heart skipped a beat.

GAH

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Someone in the Berkeley 2010 thread just got in by email & was UR in November!! They were NON-FR!!!! ahhhh there's hope!

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Someone in the Berkeley 2010 thread just got in by email & was UR in November!! They were NON-FR!!!! ahhhh there's hope!

It means that it's not a kiss of death... which is great. Crossing my fingers.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Just got my rejection e-mail. Entirely expected, so I'm not disappointed, but thought I'd let you all know there might be a wave coming.

(complete 12/22)

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Wow... there is a bloodbath on LSN. Now I'm worried. :?

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Just got rejected by email. That one hurt.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Rejected. First of the cycle, oh well.

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Rejected. First of the cycle, oh well.

+1

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Rejected via email. UR since 10/22.

Not unexpected, but... aww.

aad

Postby aad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

This bloodbath is getting very scary! Who is still alive out there in this thread?

shanejamin

Postby shanejamin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Me...for now...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

parker09 wrote:Rejected via email. UR since 10/22.

UChicago is better anyway.

shanejamin

Postby shanejamin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

This is how I feel on the Georgetown thread every time there's a great shedding of blood of arguable more competitive applicants. It's like automatic fire just mowed down the entire line, and I walk out of the bathroom and wonder where everyone is.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
parker09 wrote:Rejected via email. UR since 10/22.

UChicago is better anyway.

Haha thanks. Ironically, I thought I was a better fit for Berk than for Chicago. Guess they didn't think so!

thatcrazieguy

Postby thatcrazieguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm

aad wrote:This bloodbath is getting very scary! Who is still alive out there in this thread?

+1

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:28 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Just got rejected by email. That one hurt.

OH NO! Still nothing here. I step away for 90 minutes and it's bloodbath central. I'm sorry, guys.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 pm

shanejamin wrote:This is how I feel on the Georgetown thread every time there's a great shedding of blood of arguable more competitive applicants. It's like automatic fire just mowed down the entire line, and I walk out of the bathroom and wonder where everyone is.

Haha. I never knew having a weak bladder could help you in times of war.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Just got the rejection email. Never thought I'd get in but figured it was worth a try.

So now my application cycle is officially over!! Well, I guess except for the W/L at Chicago (which I'm sure will turn into rejection because I'm not sending LOCI).

Actually I'm very pleased with my cycle. Turned out to be a lot better than I expected!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”