The "My Cycle Is Almost Over" Nostalgia/Hindsight Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Re: The "My Cycle Is Almost Over" Nostalgia/Hindsight Thread

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:34 am

4:0:5 Typical splitter, T20 acceptances and T14 WLs. My December 169 => 175 retake was the best decision I ever made, so I really couldn't have applied earlier. No regrets going into the de facto second half of my cycle.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:44 am

GOD THAT SUCKED

And after all the stress I'm goin to Cornell ;) ugh

7 accepts, 4 rejections, and 6 waitlists that I will not be waiting out.

Thank god it's over, now I can look forward to sleepless nights, horrible exams, and crippling debt!

:mrgreen:

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 am

Mine isn't even halfway over.

1:1:1:5

I think I'll be waiting it out until next year, but honestly, I'd like to know whether or not I got in some places because then I can kind of gauge where to send apps next year, especially with an improved application all around. :)

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 am

Mine is about done, I'm 14-2-2-2.

I realized something though... sending scholly negotiations brings back the suspenseful feeling of waiting...
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 am

In hindsight, I would not have applied to Cornell because it is April 7th and they haven't contacted me....ever. At this point, I wonder if it'd be reasonable to ask for my 85 dollars back.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 am

goblue1646 wrote:In hindsight, I would not have applied to Cornell because it is April 7th and they haven't contacted me....ever. At this point, I wonder if it'd be reasonable to ask for my 85 dollars back.

When did you apply?

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 am

I originally wrote this as a response to a PM asking me how I got in to Boalt with my numbers. It might be helpful to others so I'll post it here.

If you have great softs I would absolutely emphasize those in your personal statement. With a lower GPA (and if you're a bit older, not right out of undergrad) you need to write an addendum about your GPA (I did). Actually, even if ug is only a few years in the past, you still need an addendum. Mine was short (1/2 page) but reminded them that my mediocre/bad grades were all several/many years ago and were in no way indicative of my intellectual capacity. In fact, if they looked at my Master's degree... you get the idea.

Next, I wrote an absolutely off the charts fantastic personal statement (if I do say so myself - but the admit seems to back that up). I worked on it for months; I had someone look at it from the University writing center, I had about 5 other people read it for edits/readability; then I had a writing Professor look at my final draft. I took a risk and wrote a very personal and creative essay which nothing about law school but said a lot about my growth as a human being. I was incredibly honest. I didn't "tell" anything about myself, I "showed"... so none of the "I consider myself a hard-worker and I'm always dedicated to the task at hand" kind of crap. Instead, I wrote little vignettes of my life that highlighted characteristics I thought they'd want to know re:a law student and that were authentic big experiences in my life. It was almost the 4 pages they requested (3 1/2). Other schools received an edited version of this (2 pages)

In addition, I wrote a kick-butt essay about "Why School X" - for every school I applied to... it helped me realize which schools I really wanted to attend. If I couldn't bring myself to write a "why school x" essay, then it was clear I didn't have enough interest. I researched and researched and researched their law school and told them exactly why I wanted to go there. I knew classes, clinics, professors, and groups in which I wanted to participate. I went through the same process with that essay as I did with my personal statement. It was tight, densely written, and 1 1/2 pages.

And I applied early. Do not underestimate how important this is. I think it's worth a point or two on the LSAT. I'll say it again even though everyone already knows it: Apply Early!!!

Study for the LSAT and rock it out... do not overestimate yourself before the test. Get your score consistent. Use conservative timing at the end - 32-33 minutes. Go over every single wrong answer, dissect it, find out why you were wrong. Take 20+ timed LSATs before the real thing.

Good luck in your cycle next year!

Best,
Gymboree

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 am

In hindsight I wish I scored closer to my practice avg of 169 and that the LSAC didn't destroy my GPA. C'est la vie; I'm pretty happy with how my cycle turned out.

11 Admits
4 Rejects (only surprised by GW, figured I would have gotten WL)
3 WL
Waiting on UNC
Last edited by jlnoa0915 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:33 am

Gymboree: great post! I also think softs, great (and unique) personal statements and "Why X" paragraphs/extra essays help A LOT. I didn't do a "Why X" paragraph for any of the schools I applied to (who didn't explicitly request it like UCLA and Michigan) and I regret it. I think my LOCI after 3 months of silence to Berkeley helped me get in but I could have possibly avoided the wait if I had just addressed how much I loved Boalt/was a great fit initially.

Anyway, Gymboree, I look forward to seeing you at Berkeley's ASW!

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

My cycle was great, 6 Admits/3 Rejects/2 WL (1 YP)/ 0 pending

In hindsight, I loved what I did with my applications (did a unique angle for PS, wrote all the Why X essays, and even wrote a few that weren't suggested or implied).

However, I take the opposite approach from those who said they applied to too many safeties; I applied to too many reaches. At 167/3.39, I knew I had no chance at Penn and NYU and I applied anyway. I also probably wouldn't have gone if I had gotten in. So if I could do it over I would apply only to reaches I really liked (UVA and GULC), stuck with the same three solid targets (all in), and one or two safeties.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 am

umichgrad wrote:However, I take the opposite approach from those who said they applied to too many safeties; I applied to too many reaches. At 167/3.39, I knew I had no chance at Penn and NYU and I applied anyway. I also probably wouldn't have gone if I had gotten in. So if I could do it over I would apply only to reaches I really liked (UVA and GULC), stuck with the same three solid targets (all in), and one or two safeties.

I did the same thing. I let fee waivers entice me into applying to like 10 schools at which I knew I had almost no chance of getting in, but I justified it as being "free," so why not. As a result, my applications for those schools were just "let's send them what I sent everyone else and see what happens." Maybe if I had put some more work into them and individualized my apps a bit more for each school, things would have been different.

That's actually probably my biggest regret - basically sending the same PS and application to every school, unless their requirements stated otherwise. I'm really happy where I'm going (BC), but I probably would have had more admits if I spent more time on them.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am

In hindsight, I would have approached my cycle in exactly the same way. I applied to 19 schools (for my results check my profile). I took my last LSAT in December, so applying early was out of the question. Since I am a multiple LSAT taker (cancel, cancel, 163, 169) all within a two year window, I had no idea how schools, especially the top law schools would react. I wrote an LSAT addendum to address the 4 LSAT scores, Why X essays for almost all the schools I applied to, and submitted most of my applications in early January hoping for the best. I think my success this cycle had a lot to do with my PS, which had nothing to do with law school, and my work experience. In the end, my cycle has been wildly unpredictable (in at Michigan with a little $, out at UW), a little disappointing at times, but looking back I couldn't have been happier with the results. Just as an aside, for all of you that have been disappointed with your LSAT score, do not give up!!! If you think you can score better, take it again! What a world of difference my last LSAT score has made. If I had stuck with my 163, I would have probably been rejected at most schools I applied to. Work hard, take the LSAT seriously, and anything can happen.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:14 am

6:4:1:3

I only applied to schools where I knew I'd be happy...essentially the T-14 or bust mentality, and I really recommend this to people who aren't excited about the idea of a lower ranked school. That's not to say if WANT to go to a T-14 but rather if you can get into probably at least 1 and you know you would go over anything in the 17-25 range with money, don't waste the application fees/time/effort. I applied to only 2 schools outside the T14, and didn't really want to go to one but it was in my geographic location and the other UCLA I had heard good things about from my employers who went there.

Also, if you're going to ED think it through. I wasted my ED at CLS, probably had a much better shot at NYU and instead am in CLS deferral land, NYU no mans land, and getting ready to put down a deposit on a place in Ann Arbor.

THAT being said, I was such a city boy not even really interested in going to the south or midwest but the more research I did on Michigan the more I grew to love it and am taking it over schools in big cities and other T14s with more money. So I guess once you start getting accepted be sure to give every school a chance, because how you feel at the beginning of your cycle might not be how you feel at the end.

I am happy with the way my cycle turned out. There were disappointments along the way of course, but unless you're sporting a 179/4.0 that will more likely than not happen from time to time. Nonetheless, I feel like everything worked out for the best and I'm ending up where I should be. No matter what school you end up at, if you feel like this at the end, you've had a successful cycle. Congrats on all of us almost being done, :D and good luck to the poor souls about to begin! :twisted:

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 am

6 acceptances (all with scholarship offers) / 1 rejection / 1 pending (expecting a rejection)

First I'll go through what I did, then I'll say what I should have done differently.

I had no real expectations going into the September LSAT. I didn't start studying until August, and even then, all I did was go through a book on logic games (which was an absolute life saver) and take about four practice tests. I've always done fairly well on standardized tests, and so I figured I'd be OK without paying much attention to the RC and LR sections. That turned out to be the right way to go (for me), as the logic games were much better than they would have been without that book, but they were still my worst section (IIRC).

Before the LSAT, I'd kind of assumed I'd be going to DePaul or Kent or LUC because I like Chicago, and I didn't think some of the loftier goals would be reasonable. Then I got my LSAT score and didn't know what to do, because it was a few points higher than I'd expected. I applied to schools in cities I could see myself in, along with two reaches. I pumped out my PS in about 45 minutes, read it over a few times, and made no edits. That is generally how I operate though, and I don't recommend it for everyone. Nothing that has happened in this cycle has led me to believe that my PS was not good. I got my LOR's a little late. I ended up not wanting to ask a professor I'd already asked due to the nature of my PS and had to scramble to find someone else. I didn't get my applications in until the beginning of January, and most schools received my second LOR around 1/10. I definitely did not expect to receive the number of scholarships I received, and I certainly didn't expect them to be in the amounts they were in.

Knowing what I know now, I would have done a lot of things differently.

1. I probably would have studied more for the LSAT and taken it in June, and then maybe considered a re-take in September. I would have had my applications ready to go before the September LSAT at the very least. I would have had LOR's in order before that (but I ended up using a professor from that fall semester, so maybe that wouldn't have worked out as well). Essentially, I'd have started thinking about all of it much, much sooner. I was lucky to hear back from the majority of schools very quickly, but my cycle has still been drawn out longer than I would have wanted. Another good reason to apply early that I was unaware of was that certain schools (ahem, NYU/Columbia) need dean's certification letters for even the most minor disciplinary infractions. I ended up just being lazy since I wasn't at school when I was putting them together, and I just never got one, and so I never applied.

2. I would have been more optimistic about my chances at certain schools. I would have applied to more reaches (some of which, in retrospect, might not have even been reaches for me).

Ultimately, I don't know if I would be in a different position right now if I had done anything differently. The scholarship offers I have would be difficult to turn down even if I'd gotten into a lower T14 (Think: Georgetown/Cornell and maaaaybe if I got lucky Michigan/Penn/Duke). And maybe it's better not to have to have more options than I already do....

I'm just sort of rambling now, so I'll stop.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:39 am

7:3:0:1

I'm happy with the way my cycle went, but I would advise others to proofread their apps numerous times and have multiple friends and at least one professor read through them before sending them. This should be pretty obvious, but I'm sorry to say I didn't do it. I gave my apps one cursory read-through and nearly had a heart attack when I discovered multiple typos in my DS after I had sent it to the majority of schools on my list. This didn't seem to damage my application beyond repair, but it caused me a LOT of stress when I was waiting to hear back from schools since I'm a splitter & was worried the sloppiness of my essay would push me into reject territory at schools where I was on the fence. If you can do anything to save yourself some stress during app season, definitely do it.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 pm

11:4:2:0

In hindsight this cycle has been everything that I thought it would be, exciting, frustrating, and I received from it exactly what I thought I would, many acceptances to target and safeties and generally waitlists and rejections at the schools that I should have seen coming. I think I was the beneficiary of some good fortune for having all my apps in by October. I would say that timing of when you submit your applications has value as does establishing a good dialogue with schools. I was able to negotiate aid at schools that I inevitably did not attend, but found the experience worthwhile. I did not not many Why School X essays- which might have been detrimental at some of the T14 schools I applied to. In the end however, I am ecstatic about where I am headed (W&M) and looking forward to the law school journey. No excuses and No regrets!

Edit: Updated with last rejection received minutes after writing abovel
Last edited by Padimud on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonCal

Postby CrimsonCal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm

2 acceptances : 1 rejection : 3 WL's : 3 pending (95% sure I'm WL'ed at these three pending)

I think I overestimated in some sense my shot at a few schools since my numbers were pretty borderline, but I never expected to be waitlisted at what will mostly likely be six schools...
I suppose it's a combination of having so so numbers for the t14, combined with my graduate degree

perhaps I could have written a more targeted essay, or maybe it just came down to numbers,
but probably taking the december lsat hurt me since it excruciatingly delayed everything

but, I'm grateful for what I've been given... I look forward to (most likely) attending Berkeley in the fall (even though I've already spent the last five years doing my Phd there...lol), and I'm grateful, to say the least, that the firm (IP) I'm working for is paying for all my tuition, plus a nice stipend, together with a guaranteed job after I graduate... maybe if I realize that I've spent enough of my formative years at Cal, I could always try to transfer after my first year (nothing at all against Berkeley, just sometimes it's nice to experience other academic environments)

Italia8183

Postby Italia8183 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 pm

lawyering wrote:I never in my wildest dreams expected to do as well as I've done so far. Submitted 15 apps, so far into 11 and 4 MIA. If I had to do it over again, I would apply to FAR fewer schools...what a waste of money.

I couldn't agree more. I'm in a similar boat. I've been accepted at 8, w/l at 2, rejected at 1, and MIA at 4. There is only one school that I haven't heard from that I'm interested in and two that I've gotten into thus far that I'm excited about. I applied to 15 but am really only interested in four when it came down to picking a school.

The best piece of advice I can offer future applicants is to only apply to regional schools in your region of preference UNLESS you have a legitimate shot at T14.

This strategy would have saved me a lot of money and unnecessary stress.

weis14

Postby weis14 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:00 pm

5:1:2:0

I should have studied a bit harder for the LSAT and taken it in June instead of September. Also, for me my last acceptance was the best one, and I was close to committing elsewhere before it came. I applied to mostly regional schools and was accepted into most of them. The only reject was a reach at Michigan.

I will be at IU Bloomington in the fall with no regrets.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:52 pm

5(all with $):9:5:3

Shouldn't have applied to so many reaches - all but 1 of the rejects were in the T14, and I think the other one may have been YP. Probably should have written Why X to the WL schools, but oh well. Still not sure where I'm going as I've narrowed it down to 2 of the 5 INs, but still waiting on NU (why oh why didn't I ED?). Sigh.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:20 pm

There is a lot of talk on here about applying early. I was curious as to whether or not all of you think there is any difference in taking the June LSAT and applying in September as opposed to taking the October LSAT and applying in late October/early November. It's obviously prudent to take the June LSAT in case you need to retake, but does it matter if you apply VERY early (i.e. September) as opposed to applying somewhat early (i.e. sometime before mid November)?

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:03 pm

honestabe84 wrote:There is a lot of talk on here about applying early. I was curious as to whether or not all of you think there is any difference in taking the June LSAT and applying in September as opposed to taking the October LSAT and applying in late October/early November. It's obviously prudent to take the June LSAT in case you need to retake, but does it matter if you apply VERY early (i.e. September) as opposed to applying somewhat early (i.e. sometime before mid November)?

No, not at all. June is better from the standpoint of having another chance at the LSAT, but everything before Nov. 1 is considered 'early'. I had my apps ready to go and sent them as soon as my LSAT score came in, sometime around October 20(?) and was definitely on the early side.

CrimsonCal

Postby CrimsonCal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 pm

I don't think there's really much of a penalty for applying Sept vs. late Oct / early November...

it's only the Dec LSAT that throws the wrench into everything

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:11 pm

2:2:2:7

The majority of my preferences are MIA's. Still some hope...

In retrospect, I would have applied earlier and been more prepared for an earlier LSAT.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Should not have wasted my ED on Penn
Should not have applied EA to Cornell
In the end, it all turned out fine, but a lot of unnecessary stress

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”