Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MahaloMontana
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby MahaloMontana » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 pm

johndhi wrote:Are you supposed to send a LOCI if you've been sent to FR? I was sent today. I thought the dean said more letters won't affect your position?


he was referring to the waitlist in that interview, not the faculty review. He said that in FR the faculty place the waitlist in order, and once that is done there is nothing that changes that order. At least that's how I interpreted it.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby johndhi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 pm

redhead77 wrote:
johndhi wrote:Are you supposed to send a LOCI if you've been sent to FR? I was sent today. I thought the dean said more letters won't affect your position?


he was referring to the waitlist in that interview, not the faculty review. He said that in FR the faculty place the waitlist in order, and once that is done there is nothing that changes that order. At least that's how I interpreted it.


So are there students on the FR? That was my impression, but apparently it's other faculty..?

User avatar
CrimsonCal
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby CrimsonCal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:49 pm

gymboree wrote:Congrats to the new FR group - I'm living proof you have hope, stay positive!

Someone asked about sending in a LOCI or LOR a page or two back... just FYI I sent in another LOR but not a LOCI. I wrote a "Why Boalt" essay and didn't think I could improve on that.

Good luck everyone!!!


Congrats GYMBOREE on the acceptance... you must have some amazing softs.. I saw that you were also on hold at Harvard (I am too...)

Weird thing about UCLA though... do you think it's yield protection? I guess VOICE OF REASON encountered the same thing...

they were the first school I heard from way back when in November, it was my only solace until now

User avatar
CrimsonCal
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby CrimsonCal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 pm

carterth wrote:Was part of the first FR group - just got my first rejection by status checker.

180/3.97. Start panicking, everyone ;-)


damn, are you for real?

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby johndhi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:
carterth wrote:Was part of the first FR group - just got my first rejection by status checker.

180/3.97. Start panicking, everyone ;-)


damn, are you for real?


No, of course he isn't.

User avatar
Fevsi
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby Fevsi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Count me in. Complete since Feb 1, FR email today. Not that I was hoping for much else, given that Boalt is one of the least predictable schools in T14.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby pearl_earrings » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Rejected via e-mail this afternoon.
I'll admit that I'm disappointed. Why do cold weather schools seem to like me more than warm weather schools?? Still, I am so honored that Berkeley even considered me. I guess FR just got my hopes up a little!
Good luck to everyone in round 2!

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby voice of reason » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:....
Weird thing about UCLA though... do you think it's yield protection? I guess VOICE OF REASON encountered the same thing...

they were the first school I heard from way back when in November, it was my only solace until now


Nope, I'm not YP at UCLA. I'm below median GPA and LSAT for both Boalt and UCLA. The only explanation for my Berkeley offer is strong softs.

ranovr32
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby ranovr32 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Out at Berkeley...

User avatar
exdubliner
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby exdubliner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Heather85 wrote:For some stupid reason, I declined having student members review my app. Do you guys think that will be a negative?


According to Berkeley's website:
You may indicate on the application form whether or not you consent to have your file read by a student member of the Committee. In the evaluation of your application, no weight is given to whether or not you have consented to student review.

User avatar
gochrisgo
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby gochrisgo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 pm

.
Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katalatriste
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby katalatriste » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm

rejecteddd ... but i still love you berkeley! maybe i WILL apply as a transfer :)

congrats to those who have gotten in/are waitlisted!

ppa840
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby ppa840 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Accepted, got the email this afternoon. I am really shocked- first t14 school to accept me. I thought Berkeley delivered the news via phone call?

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby gymboree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:
gymboree wrote:Congrats to the new FR group - I'm living proof you have hope, stay positive!

Someone asked about sending in a LOCI or LOR a page or two back... just FYI I sent in another LOR but not a LOCI. I wrote a "Why Boalt" essay and didn't think I could improve on that.

Good luck everyone!!!


Congrats GYMBOREE on the acceptance... you must have some amazing softs.. I saw that you were also on hold at Harvard (I am too...)

Weird thing about UCLA though... do you think it's yield protection? I guess VOICE OF REASON encountered the same thing...

they were the first school I heard from way back when in November, it was my only solace until now


Thanks Crimson! Like Voice of Reason I think my softs played a primary role in my outcomes this cycle. Everyone thinks they have good softs, I know. But I've outperformed my numbers obviously, so I have to think my softs were key. LORs probably made adcomms feel comfortable taking a chance - they came from excellent sources who knew me well, had lots to say, and had big titles.

Soft admit, numbers admit - I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll take any ol' admit!

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Yeah, I think you're pretty much screwed if you end up on FR and you have unexceptional softs. Anyone care to prove me wrong?

zarathustra
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby zarathustra » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 pm

joining the group...and hoping the faculty likes me. Any ideas on what matters most at this stage of the game? Numbers or softs?
Last edited by zarathustra on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby galahad85 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 pm

los blancos wrote:Yeah, I think you're pretty much screwed if you end up on FR and you have unexceptional softs. Anyone care to prove me wrong?


Yeah, that might explain my rejection. I had decent numbers, but pretty much no softs to speak of.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:30 pm

galahad85 wrote:
los blancos wrote:Yeah, I think you're pretty much screwed if you end up on FR and you have unexceptional softs. Anyone care to prove me wrong?


Yeah, that might explain my rejection. I had decent numbers, but pretty much no softs to speak of.


I think my softs could be amazing or non-existent, depending on the person's perspective.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 pm

zarathustra wrote:joining the group...and hoping the faculty likes me. Any ideas on what matters most at this stage of the game? Numbers or softs?


[speculation]

FR is good or bad depending on the strengths of your application. If you were relying on numbers to get in, the 11% overall acceptance rate is deceiving because you can typically toss out almost half of the applicant pool even at a holistic place like Berkeley. So in reality if you had 172/3.85 your chances were a lot better than 11% (given you didn't apply late)

The way I look at it now is that FR has an approximately 13% acceptance rate. This is pure speculation, but I bet the students and faculty members care even less about numbers than the adcomms do. Meaning unless you've got really good softs, you're probably screwed.

Again, all speculation. And I'm not an intelligent person to begin with so it's dumb speculation.

hellogoodbye1
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:45 pm

In via phone call in morning and email right after... Sooooooo grateful for Berkeley's hollistic review. Below 25th LSAT and about median gpa. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh going for sure and sooo freaking excited!!!!!! Boalts my dream school!!!!!

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:46 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:In via phone call in morning and email right after... Sooooooo grateful for Berkeley's hollistic review. Below 25th LSAT and about median gpa. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh going for sure and sooo freaking excited!!!!!! Boalts my dream school!!!!!


Congrats. I can't properly express my jealousy. Also my dream school.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby hellokitty » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm

.
Last edited by hellokitty on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ivorynightfall
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby ivorynightfall » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Also referred for faculty review today...have half a mind to just withdraw. As much as I love the Bay Area, I really want to go East for law school.

3.86 (T4), 173

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby yeff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Applied late Jan., UR 2/3, joined FR today. 3.65~3.71, 174~178.

Good to have the March 12 date to look forward to at least...

User avatar
opus127
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Berkeley Faculty Review Support Group 2010

Postby opus127 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Rejected. The e-mail was sent 7 pm CST, but I only just now had a chance to check it. Good luck to the rest of you.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”