Chances for acceptance in any top 15 if waitlisted?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kommatas

Chances for acceptance in any top 15 if waitlisted?

Postby kommatas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm

What are my chances of being accepted to any top 15 if I've been waitlisted at UVA?

Just recieved confirmation that I've been waitlisted at UVA :(.

flyingpanda

Re: Chances for acceptance in any top 15 if waitlisted?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:35 pm

What one school decides does not necessarily tell you how your cycle will turn out, we'd need to know your numbers + softs to have any idea.

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:What one school decides does not necessarily tell you how your cycle will turn out, we'd need to know your numbers + softs to have any idea.

LSAT 164, GPA 3.9 (undergrad) Masters (gpa 3.97)- finance degrees for both
2 years work experience as vice pres of operations,
volunteer services- tutored mentally disabled college students and volunteered at a natural history museum.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:08 pm

kommatas wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:What one school decides does not necessarily tell you how your cycle will turn out, we'd need to know your numbers + softs to have any idea.

volunteer services- tutored mentally disabled college students and volunteered at a natural history museum.

It's your LSAT that's killing you. How long did you study for it? If you feel that you can pull it up at all, I'd say wait a year (even if it's painful). With that 3.9 and a 170+ you'd be able to scoot right into almost any school you want to short of HYS (and you'd actually have a decent shot at S).

If you're determined to go with this cycle and accept a lower T-14, I wouldn't worry too much. According to LSP, UVA was one of your weakest chances for the T-14 below CCN. All of the rest seem to be sitting at decent 45-50ish percents. The fact that you managed to get onto the WL at UVA leads me to believe that you'll probably get into at least 1 of the T-14. If you don't I'd be surprised.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Subtle UT trolling...

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:27 pm

I applied to pretty much every school from Berkeley to Vanderbilt on the their application deadlines last year (I decided to go to law school very late). I was WL every except for UT and Vandy and after sending LOCI, ended up getting off of every WL except for Virginia (though I seemed to be one of the final stagglers). After being admitted to NU, I did drop Berkeley and Michigan (for personal reasons).

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 pm

mb88 wrote:
kommatas wrote:

It's your LSAT that's killing you. How long did you study for it? If you feel that you can pull it up at all, I'd say wait a year (even if it's painful). With that 3.9 and a 170+ you'd be able to scoot right into almost any school you want to short of HYS (and you'd actually have a decent shot at S).

If you're determined to go with this cycle and accept a lower T-14, I wouldn't worry too much. According to LSP, UVA was one of your weakest chances for the T-14 below CCN. All of the rest seem to be sitting at decent 45-50ish percents. The fact that you managed to get onto the WL at UVA leads me to believe that you'll probably get into at least 1 of the T-14. If you don't I'd be surprised.

Thanks for the reply. I am not going to take it again, although I bombed on it and prob. can do better ( I studied for three weeks, took a month break and studied for 1.5 months, my last 10 test avg. to a 174) but...I bombed. I accept that (or else I'll lose even more hair). I hope my chances are 50% because this wait list decision came quit early ( I applied Jan. 1).

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:42 pm

UVA WL = soft rejection. FWIW, I had similar #s last cycle and was on that list from November (after applying ED) until the final releases in August. I would think your GPA gives you fighting chance at the Vandy/UT/UCLA range with an outside shot at Cornell (maybe Mich/Penn/Berkeley if you put together an outstanding app).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”