UChicago waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jsarna1

New

Re: UChicago waitlist

Post by jsarna1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 pm

I am from Chicago and could live at home, so I'm not too worried about housing. Definitely waiting this out, although right now I'm headed to Texas otherwise, so that kinda sucks for me, since I'll have to figure out something down there.

lawyerlover

Bronze

Post by lawyerlover » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:38 pm

sorry if this was already covered - but is there a list at Uchicago (such as hold list) ahead of the waitlist in terms of acceptances etc?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm

lawyerlover wrote:sorry if this was already covered - but is there a list at Uchicago (such as hold list) ahead of the waitlist in terms of acceptances etc?
From what I have heard, they have an unranked waitlist. No holds or anything like Columbia had.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Lermontov wrote:Just checking in. What're people's plans? Send a LOCI, then wait a little while before an extra LOR? All right away?
I am a 1L at Uchicago and will do anything possible to get someone who likes lermontov in to the school. BTW, we duel here, but with a foosball table.

lta

New

Post by lta » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

UM.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=75

Did anyone get an WL letter that actually included Dean Perry's email vs the normal 'admissions@...' address?

mind games

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 pm

lta wrote:UM.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=75

Did anyone get an WL letter that actually included Dean Perry's email vs the normal 'admissions@...' address?

mind games
In my letter it refers to the general admissions address. Then it is signed by Dean Perry and her email address is written beneath her name.

lta

New

Post by lta » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:06 pm

I can't actually imagine they'd do that 2 years in a row...

My letter looks the same as yours w/ the essay@ address, then the admissions@ (for withdrawing) then signed by Dean Perry

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm

lta wrote:I can't actually imagine they'd do that 2 years in a row...

My letter looks the same as yours w/ the essay@ address, then the admissions@ (for withdrawing) then signed by Dean Perry
Yes, maybe it was just a fluke last year. Mine seems like your basic form letter, and seems to be identical to all others.

I need to send in another LOCI, just to remind them I am still alive. I am actually trying to keep it as brief as possible. Dean Perry and I have a mutual acquaintance (useless to the admissions game) who counselled me to be brief and to the point in all interactions. His opinion is it is as easy to talk (or write) her out of liking you as it is to help your cause. So I am trying to let my application speak for itself, and hope when she wants to balance the class (read: admit laughable numbers) I am what they are looking for.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:10 pm

jks289 wrote:

Yes, maybe it was just a fluke last year. Mine seems like your basic form letter, and seems to be identical to all others.

I need to send in another LOCI, just to remind them I am still alive. I am actually trying to keep it as brief as possible. Dean Perry and I have a mutual acquaintance (useless to the admissions game) who counselled me to be brief and to the point in all interactions. His opinion is it is as easy to talk (or write) her out of liking you as it is to help your cause. So I am trying to let my application speak for itself, and hope when she wants to balance the class (read: admit laughable numbers) I am what they are looking for.
Have you sent something to the essay@ address? I generally do short LOCIs too but since they asked for a Why Chicago essay, and my PS was only 1.5 pages with no mention of Chicago, I went ahead and did a two page essay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:
GobiasIndustries wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Any other URMs on the waitlist? Show yourselves!
Yup. They got my Need Access yesterday, they'll get my LOCI today...
I'm a URM on the waitlist.... applied in October and waitlisted since February!!!
Here I am in 2010 waiting, waiting, waiting. In 2009, UofC didn't even give me an original decision until June, so I am not expecting much. I would really like to go there, as I have wanted to get back to Chicago and can see myself practicing law and raising a family there. I love that city.

lemonfire

New

Post by lemonfire » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm

withdrew today. good luck to you all!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:02 pm

beef wellington wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Have you sent something to the essay@ address? I generally do short LOCIs too but since they asked for a Why Chicago essay, and my PS was only 1.5 pages with no mention of Chicago, I went ahead and did a two page essay.
Yes I wrote a page and half for the "Why Chicago" and sent it to the essay address. That was in February, so now I need to write a "Still here, still interested" letter just to remind them I exist.

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:22 pm

So how many spots are we thinking are actually available? From LSN, it seems like there could be several, but obviously that site isn't a perfect indicator. Good news is in years past there have been several, and there seem to have been more WLs this year than in previous years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gumpfan01

New

Post by gumpfan01 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:55 pm

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to UT if I don't get off the Chicago waitlist...

Not sure how many spots are going to open up, but all the WLs on LSN kind of scare me. Especially when many of those WLs are 174 LSATs. Let me know if you hear anything -

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

gumpfan01 wrote:I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to UT if I don't get off the Chicago waitlist...

Not sure how many spots are going to open up, but all the WLs on LSN kind of scare me. Especially when many of those WLs are 174 LSATs. Let me know if you hear anything -
I think the good news is that a lot of the WLs have withdrawn and a lot of those 174 LSATs got in at places like Harvard, Stanford and Columbia. Call me crazy, but I would take those offers over Chicago myself. I have no hope for the Columbia reserve, but I think there will be some movement with Chicago. In my email back in Feb I was told they would get back in touch with me in the late spring... so hopefully that happens soon! Wish we knew how many spots were available...

gumpfan01

New

Post by gumpfan01 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Have you visited/talked to anyone there? I applied ED and was waitlisted...so got the notification back in December. I had an interview with them in January which I think went well, but it's been a long time since then. I'm also worried that Chicago has such a small class size, which especially isn't good with the bad economy.

If, somehow, we were accepted - does it make sense to take the Chicago pricetag over UT? UT is a pretty sweet deal, no?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 pm

gumpfan01 wrote:Have you visited/talked to anyone there? I applied ED and was waitlisted...so got the notification back in December. I had an interview with them in January which I think went well, but it's been a long time since then. I'm also worried that Chicago has such a small class size, which especially isn't good with the bad economy.

If, somehow, we were accepted - does it make sense to take the Chicago pricetag over UT? UT is a pretty sweet deal, no?
If you want to work in Texas or the southwest, then I think UT is a no-brainer. But if you want to work anywhere else, have any aspirations to academia, or are dead set on clerking then Chicago sticker is worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon May 03, 2010 7:08 pm

gumpfan01 wrote:Have you visited/talked to anyone there? I applied ED and was waitlisted...so got the notification back in December. I had an interview with them in January which I think went well, but it's been a long time since then. I'm also worried that Chicago has such a small class size, which especially isn't good with the bad economy.

Worried about your chances because of the small class size, or worried that the small class size is a bad thing ITE?

gumpfan01

New

Post by gumpfan01 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

I get the practical aspects of why UT would be better if I wanted to stay in TX. But, and feel free to make fun of me if this sounds ridiculous, it seems like law school should be about more than just the practical. There are intangibles that few schools can give you. Intangibles like being part of a small, thriving and incredibly rigorous academic environment. Chicago attracts some of the smartest and most interesting people in the world, and getting to be part of that experience, for the mere sake of being part of that experience is what draws me to it.

I know UT is a great school - but I can't help but feel that I'll come out of Chicago a more "complete" thinker than I would at UT. With that said, it's a tough argument to stand on because I don't have any real evidence to back it up, or the significant extra $ it would cost.

Thoughts?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm

I am dead set on clerking, so that is why Chicago at sticker is definitely worth it for me. Also, I live close enough to campus where I could commute, saving myself some money that way. I agree with you about the whole complete thinker thing. I was accepted to UChicago for undergrad, and was a bit overwhelmed with the intellectual atmosphere, and decided that for undergrad, I want to go a different direction. But for law school, I love that it has an intense atmosphere full of intellectual rigor. It is definitely one of the things that I mentioned specifically in my LOCI.

gumpfan01

New

Post by gumpfan01 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Any news or updates? I know the deposit deadline just passed - when do you think Chicago will start looking at the waitlist?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:36 pm

gumpfan01 wrote:Any news or updates? I know the deposit deadline just passed - when do you think Chicago will start looking at the waitlist?
No news, but I'm thinking next week we may at least be contacted about our continuing interest. It stated so in the WL email. They probably have a few decisions left, but it doesn't appear those people are getting in, and the good ones seem to be tossed into the WL pile. From LSN, the past 6 years or so I'd say there has been an average of 15 WL->A, so there will most likely be a few spots I reckon. I'm hoping with the weirdness of this year, they under-enrolled and there are even more spots. Or at least one each for us TLS-ers who are dying to go there.

stephhu

New

Post by stephhu » Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Hmm... My waitlist email did not say any particular day, just that they would contact me later in the spring to verify that I would like to be reconsidered.

Did your actually list a date in this coming week?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 pm

stephhu wrote:Hmm... My waitlist email did not say any particular day, just that they would contact me later in the spring to verify that I would like to be reconsidered.

Did your actually list a date in this coming week?
No mine said later this spring too, I was just basing this week off past cycles, but I could be way off.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue May 11, 2010 5:42 am

First WL movement in last year's thread was May 4. Any day now then... Anyone talked to them recently?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”