UChicago waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: UChicago waitlist

Post by IAFG » Tue May 18, 2010 6:14 pm

DOOM wrote:
IAFG wrote:
jks289 wrote: It looks like a rough year for waitlists. I'm am getting a similar sense from a variety of schools. :(
i still haven't tried to prove this with LSN, but i suspect due to the economy, schools have been handing out less scholly money, which means fewer students trade money for rankings.

my theory is a lot of multiple seat deposits. haven't worked out the reasoning behind the theory yet, but i just have a hunch that there are quite a few people who are sitting on a seat at chicago as well as a peer school and that we will eventually see movement as they make their final decision.

difficulty here is that im not sure what other pressure points in the summer exist for chicago, where those multiple-depositers will be weeded out. most other schools have second deposit deadlines coming up.
this seems like wishful thinking. they almost certainly aren't waiting on additional $ since that has been disbursed at peer schools; why would people do this?

DOOM

Bronze

Post by DOOM » Tue May 18, 2010 6:16 pm

IAFG wrote:
DOOM wrote:
IAFG wrote:
jks289 wrote: It looks like a rough year for waitlists. I'm am getting a similar sense from a variety of schools. :(
i still haven't tried to prove this with LSN, but i suspect due to the economy, schools have been handing out less scholly money, which means fewer students trade money for rankings.

my theory is a lot of multiple seat deposits. haven't worked out the reasoning behind the theory yet, but i just have a hunch that there are quite a few people who are sitting on a seat at chicago as well as a peer school and that we will eventually see movement as they make their final decision.

difficulty here is that im not sure what other pressure points in the summer exist for chicago, where those multiple-depositers will be weeded out. most other schools have second deposit deadlines coming up.
this seems like wishful thinking. they almost certainly aren't waiting on additional $ since that has been disbursed at peer schools; why would people do this?
it just seems that the cycle in general has been very behind at all schools. there could be a lot of people who were only accepted at schools or received scholarships last week of April or so...if they are in undergrad they may have finals, etc. and may not have had a chance to visit schools. that might be something they plan to do in the month of may, in order to make a decision in advance of second deposit deadlines.

this definitely happens every year, to some small group of people. whether there is more of this going on this year is, i agree, probably wishful thinking.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:27 pm

DOOM wrote:
IAFG wrote:

difficulty here is that im not sure what other pressure points in the summer exist for chicago, where those multiple-depositers will be weeded out. most other schools have second deposit deadlines coming up. im also not sure of the details of chicago's commitment deadline. whether people could for example, pay a deposit at a peer school and then accept chicago's commitment agreement on may 1st. if this is possible, that makes it very convenient since people can reserve a seat at chicago without putting down $$$.
It would be great if this were true. However, I think it more likely that schools have the same access to applicant versus application numbers that we do and adjusted their admission quotas accordingly. In fact, with some schools (like UVA) it seems they may have actually over-admitted. I think the only hope for Chicago is at this level people are less money focused, and people who get a nod from HYS may be willing to jump at it. This presumes some movement at the top, so I guess pray for some sort of big explosion to at HYS orientation. (Not to kill anyone, just maybe take them out of school for a year).

DOOM

Bronze

Post by DOOM » Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm

jks289 wrote:
It would be great if this were true. However, I think it more likely that schools have the same access to applicant versus application numbers that we do and adjusted their admission quotas accordingly. In fact, with some schools (like UVA) it seems they may have actually over-admitted. I think the only hope for Chicago is at this level people are less money focused, and people who get a nod from HYS may be willing to jump at it. This presumes some movement at the top, so I guess pray for some sort of big explosion to at HYS orientation. (Not to kill anyone, just maybe take them out of school for a year).
hmm...i feel like its far more risky for admissions to adjust their quotas. instead, i feel like most would give out the same number of offers and use the waitlist to fill spots. if a school (like cornell) had no WL movement last year, if they follow the same quotas they can just dig deeper into the waitlist this year. funny, we really dont have any clue what is going on. it just surprised me to see UVA and Duke, for example, filled (ie. overenrolled) as of May 1st. seems like something different has to be going on this year for waitlist movement to be so non-existent this month.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 18, 2010 6:36 pm

DOOM wrote: seems like something different has to be going on this year for waitlist movement to be so non-existent this month.
another guess, TLS is doing too good a job informing applicants about job prospect variations. curse you, Ken!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:38 pm

They just accepted ED transfers yesterday, check twitter for updates.

https://twitter.com/UChicagoLawApps

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm

DOOM wrote:
jks289 wrote:
hmm...i feel like its far more risky for admissions to adjust their quotas. instead, i feel like most would give out the same number of offers and use the waitlist to fill spots. if a school (like cornell) had no WL movement last year, if they follow the same quotas they can just dig deeper into the waitlist this year. funny, we really dont have any clue what is going on. it just surprised me to see UVA and Duke, for example, filled (ie. overenrolled) as of May 1st. seems like something different has to be going on this year for waitlist movement to be so non-existent this month.
It could just be that schools had to guess at how to respond to the uptick in applications and a few of them overenrolled. It's not a science.

Anyone know what the prospects are like for the HYS WLs? Cuz it's looking like that's the only way any of us are getting in.

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:42 pm

A very small sample, but interesting:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll

DOOM

Bronze

Post by DOOM » Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 pm

beef wellington wrote:
Anyone know what the prospects are like for the HYS WLs? Cuz it's looking like that's the only way any of us are getting in.
Yale's twitter updated confirming that there would be some movement, i think this week. some harvard movement already occurred. no clue about stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:03 pm

So where are we sending LOCIs? to the admissions address or somewhere else?

Roseland

New

Post by Roseland » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 am

Got this email this morning:
As the summer months approach, we wanted to check in with you regarding your status on the waitlist at the University of Chicago Law School and to provide an update. We have had no initial movement from our waitlist and we do not anticipate any movement in the immediate future. However, the waitlist is very important to the Admissions Committee and it is typical for us to experience some shifting in the incoming class throughout the summer. Accordingly, we would strongly encourage you to remain on the waitlist if you are still interested in attending Chicago in the fall. If you would like to withdraw your name from the waitlist, please send an email to admissions@law.uchicago.edu and we will withdraw your application. If you wish to remain on the waitlist, no further action is necessary at this time. We sincerely appreciate your patience throughout the admissions process.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Fri May 21, 2010 11:08 am

I would recommend sending LOCI emails (do not send paper letters!) directly to Ann Perry. (I got off the waitlist last year in early June after sending 2 LOCIs, an updated transcript, an additional letter of rec, and one of the optional "hold" essays they requested). Be enthusiastic!

Shelley Levene

New

Post by Shelley Levene » Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 am

lilybbloom wrote:I would recommend sending LOCI emails (do not send paper letters!) directly to Ann Perry. (I got off the waitlist last year in early June after sending 2 LOCIs, an updated transcript, an additional letter of rec, and one of the optional "hold" essays they requested). Be enthusiastic!
???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:29 am

Shelley Levene wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:I would recommend sending LOCI emails (do not send paper letters!) directly to Ann Perry. (I got off the waitlist last year in early June after sending 2 LOCIs, an updated transcript, an additional letter of rec, and one of the optional "hold" essays they requested). Be enthusiastic!
???
I think she means don't print them out and send via snail mail. It is a point they emphasize on their website and elsewhere. Email.

Thanks Lily! I need to get in another LOCI and that was the little kick I needed.

Snorre

New

Post by Snorre » Fri May 21, 2010 12:17 pm

jks289 wrote:
Shelley Levene wrote:
???
I think she means don't print them out and send via snail mail. It is a point they emphasize on their website and elsewhere. Email.

Thanks Lily! I need to get in another LOCI and that was the little kick I needed.
I've been on Chicago's waitlist since Feb. I sent in the additional material mentioned in the first WL email, but can't decide about the wisdom of sending in another LOCI in response to the latest WL message.

I get the impression Chicago doesn't like receiving unsolicited stuff and since Tues' message didn't request anything, well, I dunno. Don't want to piss them off, but don't want them to think I'm less than enthusiastic about Chicago.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Snorre wrote: I've been on Chicago's waitlist since Feb. I sent in the additional material mentioned in the first WL email, but can't decide about the wisdom of sending in another LOCI in response to the latest WL message.

I get the impression Chicago doesn't like receiving unsolicited stuff and since Tues' message didn't request anything, well, I dunno. Don't want to piss them off, but don't want them to think I'm less than enthusiastic about Chicago.
earlier in the cycle i called and tried to get a read on them about additional materials because i also got the sense they didn't want to be pestered. the admissions officer i talked to was very encouraging and made me feel like that was a false impression.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri May 21, 2010 4:41 pm

DOOM wrote: my theory is a lot of multiple seat deposits. haven't worked out the reasoning behind the theory yet, but i just have a hunch that there are quite a few people who are sitting on a seat at chicago as well as a peer school and that we will eventually see movement as they make their final decision.

difficulty here is that im not sure what other pressure points in the summer exist for chicago, where those multiple-depositers will be weeded out. most other schools have second deposit deadlines coming up. im also not sure of the details of chicago's commitment deadline. whether people could for example, pay a deposit at a peer school and then accept chicago's commitment agreement on may 1st. if this is possible, that makes it very convenient since people can reserve a seat at chicago without putting down $$$.
Chicago explicitly state that they don't want their admitted students to have multiple deposits or commitments to attend at more than one school, and that doing so can jeopardize their admission to Chicago. You can stay on waitlists, but multiple deposits is a no-no.

But yeah, people could have more than one deposit and (if Chi finds out) it might end up creating some spaces on the WL...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Snorre

New

Post by Snorre » Fri May 21, 2010 4:44 pm

IAFG wrote:earlier in the cycle i called and tried to get a read on them about additional materials because i also got the sense they didn't want to be pestered. the admissions officer i talked to was very encouraging and made me feel like that was a false impression.
Thanks for that. Guess I'll send another (brief) LOCI along as well. Good luck to everyone :mrgreen:

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Sun May 23, 2010 8:40 am

Does Chicago have a second deposit deadline?

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:39 pm

UC doesn't have a second deposit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Tue May 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Withdrew. Good luck all.

Vuvuzela!!!

New

Post by Vuvuzela!!! » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm

--
Last edited by Vuvuzela!!! on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:32 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Vuvuzela!!! wrote:anyone heard of any movement?
Nope.
boo, northwestern needs you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”