Berkeley, FR, and a LOCI...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Neelio

Berkeley, FR, and a LOCI...

Postby Neelio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29 pm

If you are going to FR at Berk is it appropriate to send a LOCI? Or too early? Any advice would help.

Thanks

beaumondep

Re: Berkeley, FR, and a LOCI...

Postby beaumondep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm

I submitted an LOCI. I figured FR is on par, if not a tad bit more optimistic (?), than a waitlist so I found it appropriate to do so.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm

beaumondep wrote:I submitted an LOCI. I figured FR is on par, if not a tad bit more optimistic (?), than a waitlist so I found it appropriate to do so.

Thanks! I plan on doing the same.

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Neelio wrote:
beaumondep wrote:I submitted an LOCI. I figured FR is on par, if not a tad bit more optimistic (?), than a waitlist so I found it appropriate to do so.

Thanks! I plan on doing the same.

Good luck to you! :D

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:40 pm

What does FR mean?

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 pm

+1

Is a FR "held"?

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:45 pm

I was advised not to send a LOCI unless there was something significant to report now that wasn't reported in the application. The advice came from a Berkeley alum who is a big shot on TLS, not from anyone at the school. I haven't sent a LOCI...perhaps I should... :shock:

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:46 pm

fidesverita wrote:+1

Is a FR "held"?

From what I know about it, FR (or faculty review) is when your application has passed the initial administrative review and has been passed on to faculty members for further review. Basically, you're still being considered. Hope that helps! If I'm mistaken, please feel free to revise my comments.

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:11 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:I was advised not to send a LOCI unless there was something significant to report now that wasn't reported in the application. The advice came from a Berkeley alum who is a big shot on TLS, not from anyone at the school. I haven't sent a LOCI...perhaps I should... :shock:

I don't think there's anything against doing so. I called the Admissions office today and the lady who helped me seemed to know exactly what I was talking about, which probably means they see LOCIs pretty often. I agree that if there isn't anything significant to report since you've submitted your application, it probably isn't the best idea to write one since you don't want to sound redundant.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Do most people send a LOCI as the body of an email? or attachment?

glowhard

Postby glowhard » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Last edited by glowhard on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:25 pm

glowhard wrote:
beaumondep wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:I was advised not to send a LOCI unless there was something significant to report now that wasn't reported in the application. The advice came from a Berkeley alum who is a big shot on TLS, not from anyone at the school. I haven't sent a LOCI...perhaps I should... :shock:

I don't think there's anything against doing so. I called the Admissions office today and the lady who helped me seemed to know exactly what I was talking about, which probably means they see LOCIs pretty often. I agree that if there isn't anything significant to report since you've submitted your application, it probably isn't the best idea to write one since you don't want to sound redundant.

I sent a LOCI earlier this week. I debated for awhile about whether it was appropriate at this stage since I didn't have any real updates, but I figure only 200 of us (out of the 1500 or so FR people) get out of FR alive... which for some reason makes me more willing to take risks.

I sent it as an attachment to an email, though I don't know if that was technically correct either. Apparently I'm just throwin caution to the wind.

That's how i feel... I don't think it will really hurt you. Do you mind if I PM you a draft of mine?

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Yeah, I sent a LOCI earlier this morning. I figure we only get one shot, so we might as well go for it. They replied that they were adding it to my file. Good luck!

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 pm

GH, I agree with you completely. It's worth a shot!

hellogoodbye1

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:30 pm

i sent in a loci this morning but i just got an automated response.. hopefully it will be added to my file before review starts. i need ALL the help i can get

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 pm

great, now im thinking maybe i should send one, even though i don't reaaaally have anything new to add other than a new (boring unimpressive) job. but i do want to show them im still very interested. what to do?

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 pm

tintin wrote:great, now im thinking maybe i should send one, even though i don't reaaaally have anything new to add other than a new (boring unimpressive) job. but i do want to show them im still very interested. what to do?

From what I read in the other LOCI thread, it seems that it's not recommended to send an LOCI if you don't have anything new to talk about. Maybe you can read it & make the best judgment call for yourself. :D Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”