Ole Miss c/o 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
boadicea

New

Ole Miss c/o 2013

Post by boadicea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Applied in Sept, still waiting. Thread was from last year, so I started a new one. What's the deal?

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Ole Miss c/o 2013

Post by deadpanic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Applied in December, haven't heard anything yet.

MS resident, Ole Miss undergrad. Can answer any questions about Ole Miss/Oxford if anyone has any questions.

lawia

New

Post by lawia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:06 pm

deadpanic: Where do you recommend living? I am planning on visiting in the next few months and wanted to look at some of the housing options. Thanks in advance!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

The problem with Oxford is there are not a lot of affordable 1 bedrooms.

Access Road Duplexes - 1 BR at a pretty reasonable cost and they are reserved for graduate/law students & working professionals. These may be your best bet but I've personally never had any experience with them or seen them from the inside. The location is good too...fairly close to the Square and right by University Avenue (which has Kroger, dry cleaners,& a lot of fast food).

Anything close to the Square (about a mile to campus) - Pretty much old houses that you can rent for cheap, but they will be 3/4 BR. There are new condos but they will be really steep...pushing 1K/month.

Campus Creek - Right behind campus and are a rock's throw from the new law school. They are your standard college apartments. They are all 3 or 4 bedrooms so they would probably match you up with random people. Despite its great location, I wouldn't recommend it as there will be tons of loud noise and partying.

The Exchange - See above, except a further drive & a little newer.

The Mark - These are all 2 BR, but if you can find a 1BR or roommate I'd recommend them. There seems to be a lot of law students out here. It is a short drive to campus - probably 2 miles.

The Links - These are basically Campus Creek on a 9 hole golf course. Pretty reasonable rent IIRC. It is a little bit of a drive to campus, but it is a straight shot on Highway 6. There will be mainly college students.

lawia

New

Post by lawia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm

I appreciate your help. I will probably look at one of the apartments that matches roommates. I have had success with that in the past.

Thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UFPilot

New

Post by UFPilot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm really hoping to join this group soon as it's my top choice. Applied mid-October and app. is complete. Keeping my fingers crossed...

kentucky10

New

Post by kentucky10 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I was wondering maybe you all could answer a couple questions for me about Ole Miss. I applied in mid December and I haven't heard much. However, I did receive an email stating that they wanted my fall grades. Do you all believe this is a good sign? My fall grades were quite solid as well. Also, I was thinking about sending them a letter of continued interest, do you think this is a good idea? Thank you all.

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 pm

This may or may not help, but for those of you looking for housing, the school newspaper, the Daily Mississippian, has a classifieds section which sometimes has condos and what not for rent.

http://ad2ad.com/?portalid=1812566

I have known a few Grad students who have lived at Campus Creek (and Campus Walk -- a similar complex right across the street), so you may be able to request to be paired with one in order to try and keep noise down. I also have a friend who had been paired with a few freshman who were rushing fraternities during the fall, which would probably be a distraction for a 1L student, so I'd be sure to try and avoid that.

Best of luck .. if anyone else has any other questions about Oxford I can do my best to try and answer them as well.

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for the insight! Definitely will have some questions for you if I'm accepted. No word yet, applied in January. I actually ended up forgetting the addendum to my personal statement about why I wanted to attend school in Mississippi (clearly I am not from the state). They were so nice and allowed me to mail it in. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. It's definitely my top choice based on the programs they have. Plus I have heard great things about their campus.

Good luck to everyone!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Awesome. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you don't want to ask in the thread.

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:27 pm

in via phone call from the dean today.......

UFPilot

New

Post by UFPilot » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:22 pm

[quote="SAOJD10"]in via phone call from the dean today.......[/quote

If you don't mind...what were your numbers, and when did you apply? I'm going crazy here.

Did your status checker constantly say "complete," but keep changing the date it went complete? Mine is outta control.

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:16 pm

i applied 1/5........i called the office to ask the status of my application and was told I was accepted. Then later in the afternoon they called me again to say to expect a big package via snail mail and get in touch with them. My numbers are 159, 3.54 1 yr out of undergrad with some good softs (atleast i think so)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Did anyone here NOT get a status checker?

I never received a login for one, but I did receive the MS Residency form a couple weeks after my application was sent. Applied at the first of December.

UFPilot

New

Post by UFPilot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 pm

deadpanic wrote:Did anyone here NOT get a status checker?

I never received a login for one, but I did receive the MS Residency form a couple weeks after my application was sent. Applied at the first of December.

I got a status checker(see above). Honestly, it's probably better that you didn't. I've gone "complete" three different times. haha

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:i applied 1/5........i called the office to ask the status of my application and was told I was accepted. Then later in the afternoon they called me again to say to expect a big package via snail mail and get in touch with them. My numbers are 159, 3.54 1 yr out of undergrad with some good softs (atleast i think so)
Quick question(s) if you don't mind! Did you have a status checker? If so, what did it say when you were told you were accepted?

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:18 pm

hatteras1 wrote:Quick question(s) if you don't mind! Did you have a status checker? If so, what did it say when you were told you were accepted?
I was accepted a while ago (November) and my status checker hasn't said anything except 'Your file is complete'.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Krones wrote:
hatteras1 wrote:Quick question(s) if you don't mind! Did you have a status checker? If so, what did it say when you were told you were accepted?
I was accepted a while ago (November) and my status checker hasn't said anything except 'Your file is complete'.
Exactly what I was wondering. Wasn't sure if they update it past "complete," but it looks like they might not. Thanks!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 pm

MPMP wrote:This may or may not help, but for those of you looking for housing, the school newspaper, the Daily Mississippian, has a classifieds section which sometimes has condos and what not for rent.

I have known a few Grad students who have lived at Campus Creek (and Campus Walk -- a similar complex right across the street), so you may be able to request to be paired with one in order to try and keep noise down. I also have a friend who had been paired with a few freshman who were rushing fraternities during the fall, which would probably be a distraction for a 1L student, so I'd be sure to try and avoid that.

Best of luck .. if anyone else has any other questions about Oxford I can do my best to try and answer them as well.
What's the name of the place about 10-15 mins south of town that does all you can eat catfish? It looked like an old country store or something. I've been there before and it was pretty fun-they sell setups and you can pour under the table...can't remember the name though.

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:45 pm

poprox wrote:
MPMP wrote:This may or may not help, but for those of you looking for housing, the school newspaper, the Daily Mississippian, has a classifieds section which sometimes has condos and what not for rent.

What's the name of the place about 10-15 mins south of town that does all you can eat catfish? It looked like an old country store or something. I've been there before and it was pretty fun-they sell setups and you can pour under the table...can't remember the name though.
Taylor Grocery. I've only been once. If you like catfish, it's good; I don't like catfish that much. If I want southern food I go to Ajax, generally. But brown bagging is cool.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 pm

That's it, thanks! x2 to brown-bagging, there's nothing quite like it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:12 pm

For those who have been accepted what are the amount(s) and deadline(s) for the
deposit(s)?

boadicea

New

Post by boadicea » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:54 pm

So...what's going on? I applied a long time ago, LSAT above the 75th, not a word.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 pm

boadicea wrote:So...what's going on? I applied a long time ago, LSAT above the 75th, not a word.
Same here. They are taking a really long time.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm really anxious to hear something from Ole Miss...their website says Admitted Students Day is April 9th and I'm assuming they'll send virtually all of their acceptance letters (at least) a couple of weeks before that day. So, if we have not heard anything by the last week of March, can we assume a denial or waitlist?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”