Hamilton vs. ?!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MellonCollie

Hamilton vs. ?!

Postby MellonCollie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:21 am

I'm incredibly fortunate to have this decision. I don't think I'll get into YS for various reasons, so my choice right now is HLS vs. CLS with the Hamilton.

What are the other Hamilton / other big scholarship recipients thinking?

CardinalRules

Re: Hamilton vs. ?!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 am

Hahaha, what a way to debut! I think that personal financial considerations would have to be evaluated in an individual's decision. Also, one would have to think about where you want to practice. If you like the New York area, you might as well take the Hamilton. If you're looking for the broadest possible geographical reach and unmatched prestige, you should go with HLS.

I'm trying to decide among H, Y, S, and the Hamilton, but I'm favoring S because I would like to practice in California. Y is amazing for its grading policies, though, while H is appealing for the reasons mentioned in the first paragraph. I'll be sure to contact people from all of the schools before I make a choice.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 am

For once, a thread where managamy actually belongs.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:29 am

vanwinkle wrote:For once, a thread where managamy actually belongs.

Your dry humor is worthy of the man on your avatar. :wink:

MellonCollie

Postby MellonCollie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 am

managamy wrote:Hahaha, what a way to debut! I think that personal financial considerations would have to be evaluated in an individual's decision. Also, one would have to think about where you want to practice. If you like the New York area, you might as well take the Hamilton. If you're looking for the broadest possible geographical reach and unmatched prestige, you should go with HLS.

I'm trying to decide among H, Y, S, and the Hamilton, but I'm favoring S because I would like to practice in California. Y is amazing for its grading policies, though, while H is appealing for the reasons mentioned in the first paragraph. I'll be sure to contact people from all of the schools before I make a choice.

It's complicated by the fact that I don't like NYC, and am not sure what I want to do after law school. I feel like i almost HAVE to take CLS - the prospect of graduating debt free is too much to pass up.
Last edited by MellonCollie on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 am

MellonCollie wrote:
managamy wrote:Hahaha, what a way to debut! I think that personal financial considerations would have to be evaluated in an individual's decision. Also, one would have to think about where you want to practice. If you like the New York area, you might as well take the Hamilton. If you're looking for the broadest possible geographical reach and unmatched prestige, you should go with HLS.

It's complicated by the fact that I don't like NYC, and am not sure what I want to do after law school. I feel like i almost HAVE to CLS - the prospect of graduating debt free is too much to pass up.

If you have no intention of practicing in the New York region, though, you might want to think twice before saying no to Harvard with its outstanding global reputation and excellent alumni networks.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 am

managamy wrote:
MellonCollie wrote:It's complicated by the fact that I don't like NYC, and am not sure what I want to do after law school. I feel like i almost HAVE to CLS - the prospect of graduating debt free is too much to pass up.

If you have no intention of practicing in the New York region, though, you might want to think twice before saying no to Harvard with its outstanding global reputation and excellent alumni networks.

This is actually solid advice.

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

MellonCollie wrote:I'm incredibly fortunate to have this decision. I don't think I'll get into YS for various reasons, so my choice right now is HLS vs. CLS with the Hamilton.

Congrats! Both are great options. And I think CLS and HLS are very similar schools. The crucial differences are simple: Harvard is more prestigious, Columbia is cheaper.

Since you don't know what type of legal job you want to pursue, you may want to think seriously about Harvard.

If you want a firm job, I think it's totally up to you whether you value prestige over money (and where you might want to practice: the further you get from NYC the greater Harvard's name shines, in my opinion). For academic and government jobs, Harvard should have the edge.

You have a very tough decision. I hope you get into Y or S. They are both more generous than Harvard with financial aid, which could definitely help your decision.
Last edited by tinman on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 am

I'd be curious to know how many Hamiltons have been awarded. It seems like I've seen around 10-15 get it on TLS today alone.

But yes, I'm faced with the same (wonderful) dilemma.

MellonCollie

Postby MellonCollie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:40 am

tinman wrote:
MellonCollie wrote:I'm incredibly fortunate to have this decision. I don't think I'll get into YS for various reasons, so my choice right now is HLS vs. CLS with the Hamilton.

Congrats! Both are great options. And I think CLS and HLS are very similar schools. The crucial differences are simple: Harvard is more prestigious, Columbia is cheaper.

Since you don't know what type of legal job you want to pursue, you may want to think seriously about Harvard.

If you want a firm job, I think it's totally up to you whether you value prestige over money (and where you might want to practice: the further you get from NYC the greater Harvard's name shines, in my opinion). For academic and government jobs, Harvard should have the edge.

I'm interested in government jobs. I realize that HLS has the edge, but 153k worth of edge?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 am

MellonCollie wrote:I'm interested in government jobs. I realize that HLS has the edge, but 153k worth of edge?

Harvard + LIPP + IBR = win

(LIPP: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/lipp/index.html)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:45 am

MellonCollie wrote:
tinman wrote:

I'm interested in government jobs. I realize that HLS has the edge, but 153k worth of edge?

It's fairly widely recognized to be the premier law school for people interested in the government sector. You can't really measure in terms of dollars, obviously, but you sound extremely well-suited for Harvard in my opinion.

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 am

MellonCollie wrote:
tinman wrote:

It's a personal decision. I turned down the Hamilton last year, but I ended up getting decent financial aid at Yale. I think I would have taken the Hamilton over Harvard with no aid (Harvard gave me no aid), but I'm not sure that's the right choice. Yale's loan repayment program is EXTREMELY generous (you don't even have to work a law job to qualify). I'm sure Harvard's is OK, but you definitely need to work in law, and I don't know all the details.

You definitely have a tough decision. Also, I think you should consider your prior academic degrees. If you already have a degree from a top school (for undergrad or another grad degree), I think going to Harvard is less important.

I actually went to the best school in my field for another graduate degree. Had that not been the case, I think I would have taken Harvard over the Hamilton, even with a 150K difference. But I really would have been curious to see what all the hype was about ... to experience the idea that is Harvard.

But again, there is no right answer. This is not an LSAT. question People on this board might think you are stupid for choosing one over the other, but forget them. You cannot go wrong either way. Do what you think is best for you.

MellonCollie

Postby MellonCollie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 am

tinman wrote:
MellonCollie wrote:
tinman wrote:

It's a personal decision. I turned down the Hamilton last year, but I ended up getting decent financial aid at Yale. I think I would have taken the Hamilton over Harvard with no aid (Harvard gave me no aid), but I'm not sure that's the right choice. Yale's loan repayment program is EXTREMELY generous (you don't even have to work a law job to qualify). I'm sure Harvard's is OK, but you definitely need to work in law, and I don't know all the details.

You definitely have a tough decision. Also, I think you should consider your prior academic degrees. If you already have a degree from a top school (for undergrad or another grad degree), I think going to Harvard is less important.

I actually went to the best school in my field for another graduate degree. Had that not been the case, I think I would have taken Harvard over the Hamilton, even with a 150K difference. But I really would have been curious to see what all the hype was about ... to experience the idea that is Harvard.

But again, there is no right answer. This is not an LSAT. question People on this board might think you are stupid for choosing one over the other, but forget them. You cannot go wrong either way. Do what you think is best for you.

Tough decision yes, but a really frickin awesome one nonetheless. Let's say I want to work at the DOJ - will my undergrad degree (t-25, but not great) hold me back? Wouldn't I have to place high in both HLS and CLS to get the job anyway?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 am

Nobody is going to care where you went for undergrad if you have a JD from Columbia or Harvard...

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:12 am

what would be the best schools for the gov't sector, anyways? (like a ranking of them)

i'm curious haha

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:14 am

vanwinkle wrote:
MellonCollie wrote:I'm interested in government jobs. I realize that HLS has the edge, but 153k worth of edge?

Stanford and Yale have better LRAPs than HLS...didn't HLS just cut theirs way back a few weeks ago? For a median-ish PI salary SLS and YLS LRAPs are both practically full rides... of course you'll be making over median if you graduate from either place, but it still should make the Hamilton slightly less attractive if you know you want PI.

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 am

beef wellington wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Stanford and Yale have better LRAPs than HLS...didn't HLS just cut theirs way back a few weeks ago? For a median-ish PI salary SLS and YLS LRAPs are both practically full rides... of course you'll be making over median if you graduate from either place, but it still should make the Hamilton slightly less attractive if you know you want PI.

Yes, Yale's is ridiculous. I think that it would almost be silly to take the Hamilton over Yale because of the LRAP for almost anyone.

Some details about Yale's LRAP (from http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/COAP.htm#How_COAP_Works)
"25 percent of their income above $60,000 to their loan repayment. Unlike many programs, COAP grants cover not only loans for Yale Law School, but also some need-based undergraduate educational loans as well ... includes all jobs in all sectors – public interest, government, academia and private practice."

It includes loans from undergraduate and you loans for your living expenses!

Also, I want to dispute one of managamy's comments: I think Yale is the premier school for government jobs.

But sorry to digress. I know OP's questions where not about Yale.

Tough decision yes, but a really frickin awesome one nonetheless. Let's say I want to work at the DOJ - will my undergrad degree (t-25, but not great) hold me back? Wouldn't I have to place high in both HLS and CLS to get the job anyway?

No, your t-25 degree should not hold you back. I don't know all the details of DOJ jobs, but I'm pretty sure that most people work for some years in firms, etc, before moving to the DOJ. The DOJ also has an honors program for recent graduates. I don't know all the details, but yes, I think you need to do well from any of the top schools to qualify.

The reality is that Harvard should make most things slightly easier. It is worth 145K for the marginal benefits relative to CLS? It's up to you ;)

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:47 am

tinman wrote:Yes, Yale's is ridiculous. I think that it would almost be silly to take the Hamilton over Yale because of the LRAP for almost anyone.

Unless you just want biglaw - in that case, I can't imagine Yale being worth 150k more than CLS.

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:02 am

EijiMiyake wrote:
tinman wrote:Yes, Yale's is ridiculous. I think that it would almost be silly to take the Hamilton over Yale because of the LRAP for almost anyone.

Unless you just want biglaw - in that case, I can't imagine Yale being worth 150k more than CLS.

Agreed, especially for someone confident that they will not be in the bottom half of CLS. I think it's worth 150K to be in the bottom half of YLS rather than the bottom half of CLS.

But yes, I think the Hamilton (and Darrow) make the most sense for people interested in BigLaw, especially looking to the horizon of only 3-5 years after law school (down the road, a degree from H,S, or Y might have some financial benefits in BigLaw over CCN)

MellonCollie

Postby MellonCollie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:07 am

tinman wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

Agreed, especially for someone confident that they will not be in the bottom half of CLS. I think it's worth 150K to be in the bottom half of YLS rather than the bottom half of CLS.

But yes, I think the Hamilton (and Darrow) make the most sense for people interested in BigLaw, especially looking to the horizon of only 3-5 years after law school (down the road, a degree from H,S, or Y might have some financial benefits in BigLaw over CCN)

I think this might be true of YLS - but with HLS, it seems like the PI debt burden even with LRAP can be significant. As far as I can tell you're paying off a LOT of your loans - paying 16k on an 85k salary ain't no joke (especially living in NYC/SF/LA).
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... scale.html

Also, in trying to do research on the Hamilton, I came across this:
http://www.law.stanford.edu/display/ima ... nar_cv.pdf

Dude got the Hamilton, and transferred to SLS. :?:

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:22 am

MellonCollie wrote:
tinman wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:

I think this might be true of YLS - but with HLS, it seems like the PI debt burden even with LRAP can be significant. As far as I can tell you're paying off a LOT of your loans - paying 16k on an 85k salary ain't no joke (especially living in NYC/SF/LA).
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... scale.html

Also, in trying to do research on the Hamilton, I came across this:
http://www.law.stanford.edu/display/ima ... nar_cv.pdf

Dude got the Hamilton, and transferred to SLS. :?:

If you are not interested in academia or super-competitive government jobs (some clerkships, state department, etc), the Hamilton over HLS sounds like a great choice for you.

I think a great option for you would be make a ton of money in a firm for a few years after law school and then move to the DOJ (starting at over 100K there with all the money saved from no loans and your firm job)

And it would be awesome to have a scholarship named after the subject of this rap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE

pokey

Postby pokey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:53 am

Haha. That "dude" is a woman.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 am

For anyone who is set on big law, please be smart and take the Hamilton. Unless of course you get an awesome need-based aid package from HYS.

barca

Postby barca » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 am

I'm debating between HLS and CLS Hamilton as well - good to see someone on the same boat! haha. While I havent heard from Y or S, I would take both of my current options over S - and with Y being competitive as it is :wink: I want to have a decision in mind based on what I have at the moment.

I'm international and want to be involved with int'l organizations or go into public service in my country way down the future so the Harvard name is obviously worth something, but 153k in this economy is kinda painful to turn down. Does H ever offer any kind of financial aid to protect admitted applicants from being stolen by the Hamilton? My family could pay the tuition, but not terribly wealthy, even like 20k from Harvard would cinch it :roll:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”