GW WL Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayway

Silver

GW WL

Post by stayway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 am

I just got WL at GW as a PT student. GW is my #1 choice without a doubt; also the best school I've applied to ranking wise. I am on the waitlist not as a YP but probably because my lsat/gpa is low (159/3.33).

I have been researching about GW today but can't seem to find anything really relevant for the LOCI. I am still in UG and not sure about which area of law to concentrate in. However, I know for sure I want to go to GW even as a PT student (eventually moving to FT) because of its location and its decent prospect for biglaw jobs in DC (I want to practice in DC).

I want to ask you TLS users for some help. What do you like about GW? What is awesome about it other than location, prestige, and job-prospects?

I'm just not sure if writing the LOCI stating the two reasons and my 1000% guarantee that I will withdraw from every other school and attend GW is sufficient enough to put me on their admit list.

Any inputs?

Thanks.

stayway

Silver

Re: GW WL

Post by stayway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 am

Bump

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 am

I don't have much to say on GW yet, although I too am looking into this school.

But I do have this advice. Don't "bump" 20 minutes after the original posting after midnight on a week night. Seriously, give it some time. Ha, guess this board is making me more cynical by the day.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 am

Location is a plus. Awesome IP reputation. Big on international law. Great joint-degree programs.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 am

ec2xs wrote:Location is a plus. Awesome IP reputation. Big on international law. Great joint-degree programs.
Yeah, those are what I found out. But I'm not sure which I want to focus in...I've read a sample LOCI Ken provided and the individual presents an aspect of the law school she really wishes to pursue but in my case I'm not sure.....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Bump

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Anyone?

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 am

I was waitlisted too.

Not sure if I want to send in an LOCI, though I am pretty hard pressed for an acceptance anywhere at this point. lol. Id like to go to school in NY.

Anyway, I have a friend at GW who is a 3L, and as far as she can tell, internships and job prospects are pretty tough to get. Her career counselor hasn't been a tremendous help, so I've heard, and GW isn't getting the weight she thought it would.

It is your first choice, so I imagine you're already well in the know of what you can accomplish there, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't send an LOCI given that top choice. I say go for it, and give it all you've got.

I was waitlisted at the gradschool Im currently attending (Georgetown), and I wrote a letter titled "admit me and I will come". And it worked. lol. Not as difficult as LS but, not really that easy either.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 am

Oh, i'm sending in a LOCI no matter what. My point was that writing "this is my #1 choice and i will go guarantee" seems a little insufficient.

My goal is to do biglaw in DC but not quite sure which area of law.

Just wondering how is your friend's grades? Is she looking at jobs in DC?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 am

nooyyllib wrote:Oh, i'm sending in a LOCI no matter what. My point was that writing "this is my #1 choice and i will go guarantee" seems a little insufficient.

My goal is to do biglaw in DC but not quite sure which area of law.

Just wondering how is your friend's grades? Is she looking at jobs in DC?

Not too sure what her grades are like, but I sense she would have told me if they were a factor in her job prospects. But Im fairly certain BigLaw isn't her intended field, though she is planning to settle here.

As for your LOCI: I could be wrong here, but I thought LOCIs were intended to give a few reasons why you would guarantee your enrollment...not just that you will go (is this what you meant?) Why GW...Why you... type stuff. Seems a bit vanilla I know. I'm not especially knowledgeable of what pushes AdComs over the top, but when I spoke with the director of Admissions at my grad program about law schools admissions (he has worked with AdComs for T1 lawschools, too) , he told me that AdComs love to read about distinction. So that was my goal in this round: to present something that would guarantee they wouldn't forget me. No idea if it worked, with no acceptances yet.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 am

yeah, my case would be

1. DC
2. perfect for DC big law other than GULC
3. DC

i need to find something unique about their program. other than IP.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 am

if it's any help i got deferred from ED at GW then sent an LOCI and mentioned how its my #1. then again i was ED and they already knew that.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:35 am

nematoad wrote:if it's any help i got deferred from ED at GW then sent an LOCI and mentioned how its my #1. then again i was ED and they already knew that.
well did you get in? because i plan on guaranteeing my acceptance if they admit me...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moonmaster3

New

Post by moonmaster3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:45 am

Do you send your LOCI through e-mail or snail?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 am

ok so just a question...

after research i find GW's international law concentration fascinating - but am still not quite sure...i wrote in my PS about making an impact in the immigrant community..do you think it would be weird (irrelevant) if I wrote my LOCI about their international law program?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 am

nooyyllib wrote:ok so just a question...

after research i find GW's international law concentration fascinating - but am still not quite sure...i wrote in my PS about making an impact in the immigrant community..do you think it would be weird (irrelevant) if I wrote my LOCI about their international law program?
No. Go for it; it gives them the impression that you know your stuff and are actually interested in their program.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
nematoad wrote:if it's any help i got deferred from ED at GW then sent an LOCI and mentioned how its my #1. then again i was ED and they already knew that.
well did you get in? because i plan on guaranteeing my acceptance if they admit me...
nope still waiting

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”