LSU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darknightbegins

Re: LSU 2010

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 am

Also how difficult is it to get in state tuition at LSU after the first year? I just heard from someone you have to prove you are there for something other than school in order to get it, is that correct?

haider

Postby haider » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Also how difficult is it to get in state tuition at LSU after the first year? I just heard from someone you have to prove you are there for something other than school in order to get it, is that correct?

I called and asked and they said "there are a lot of different ways to establish residency. Since this was so vague, I did a good search and here is LSU's requirements:

The following facts and circumstances, although not necessarily conclusive, may support one’s claim
for resident classification for tuition purposes: financial independence from parents residing in
another state or country; reliance on Louisiana resources for financial support; possession of a valid
Louisiana voter registration card for at least one year and voting in Louisiana; designating Louisiana
as his or her permanent address on all school and employment records, including military records if
one is in the military service; possession of a valid Louisiana driver’s license (if applicable) for at least
one year; possession of a valid Louisiana vehicle registration (if applicable) for at least one year;
continuous presence in Louisiana during periods when not enrolled as a student; commitments
indicating an intent to stay in Louisiana permanently; paying Louisiana income taxes as a resident
during the past tax year, including income earned outside Louisiana from the date Louisiana domicile
was claimed; establishing an abode where one’s permanent belongings are kept within Louisiana;
licensing for professional practice (if applicable) in Louisiana; and the absence of these indicia in
other states during any period for which domicile in Louisiana is asserted.

It goes on for about five pages.

--LinkRemoved--

Just FYI I was reading scholarship info more closely and it does say "Should your residency status change, your scholarship will be adjusted accordingly." Just something to keep in mind.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:04 pm

I called admissions and some lady said you had to work in the state full-time for a year. Something about residency is different for LSU than the state.

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I called admissions and some lady said you had to work in the state full-time for a year. Something about residency is different for LSU than the state.

Thats weird. Basically that means its impossible for a law student to obtain state residency during law school. That makes me wonder why the scholarship info says "should your residency status change" if theres no way it could be done

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 pm

One question that I've wondered is this. It seems that people have different scholarship renewal policies. For example, My sholarship is 15K and is renewed if I stay in top 33%. Another guy has 18K renewed if in the top 25%. Lets say the guy with 18K doesn't stay in the top 25% but is instead in the top 33%. Would he lose his entire scholarship or would his scholarship be reduced to what I'm getting?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:43 pm

movieguru873 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:I called admissions and some lady said you had to work in the state full-time for a year. Something about residency is different for LSU than the state.

Thats weird. Basically that means its impossible for a law student to obtain state residency during law school. That makes me wonder why the scholarship info says "should your residency status change" if theres no way it could be done

Feel free to call admissions and prove me wrong. I would love to be wrong about this.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:12 pm

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance to LSU next week. Hopefully someone else can get in from my spot being vacated.

Krones

Postby Krones » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:33 pm

movieguru873 wrote:One question that I've wondered is this. It seems that people have different scholarship renewal policies. For example, My sholarship is 15K and is renewed if I stay in top 33%. Another guy has 18K renewed if in the top 25%. Lets say the guy with 18K doesn't stay in the top 25% but is instead in the top 33%. Would he lose his entire scholarship or would his scholarship be reduced to what I'm getting?

Yeah their renewal policies are pretty strange. Mine is 6k renewable if I stay in the top 67%

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Krones wrote:
movieguru873 wrote:One question that I've wondered is this. It seems that people have different scholarship renewal policies. For example, My sholarship is 15K and is renewed if I stay in top 33%. Another guy has 18K renewed if in the top 25%. Lets say the guy with 18K doesn't stay in the top 25% but is instead in the top 33%. Would he lose his entire scholarship or would his scholarship be reduced to what I'm getting?

Yeah their renewal policies are pretty strange. Mine is 6k renewable if I stay in the top 67%

This is my question did y'alls scholarship letters state these renewel contingencies explicitly. All my says is will be renewed if you remain in good academic standing. When I called they said that was a 2.0. I was wondering if I was missing something.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:

This is my question did y'alls scholarship letters state these renewel contingencies explicitly. All my says is will be renewed if you remain in good academic standing. When I called they said that was a 2.0. I was wondering if I was missing something.

That's what everyone is talking about. Essentially, nobody has the same renewal terms as the next person, but, yes, the terms are written explicitly in the letter. I would say that, if yours said "good academic standing," it means exactly that. As long as you don't fail out, you get to keep the scholarship. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:03 am

Question here--

For the people who are talking about a PAWS expansion, are you guys LSU ug's? I've been accepted to LSU via snail mail, but no word on a PAWS account (if I even need it?)

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:07 am

Cemoore4 wrote:Question here--

For the people who are talking about a PAWS expansion, are you guys LSU ug's? I've been accepted to LSU via snail mail, but no word on a PAWS account (if I even need it?)

PAWS account expanded last Monday. Not a LSU UG, still waiting on a letter. They emailed you a PAWS user name and password when they received your app.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 am

My acceptance letter is dated Jan 27th, for those who recieved a scholarship did it come in the acceptance package or later? My numbers are above their 75% for LSAT and just below 75% for GPA, so hopefully I should recieve some type of aid. Just curious about how long it takes to recieve the scholly letter.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:38 am

SAOJD10 wrote:My acceptance letter is dated Jan 27th, for those who recieved a scholarship did it come in the acceptance package or later? My numbers are above their 75% for LSAT and just below 75% for GPA, so hopefully I should recieve some type of aid. Just curious about how long it takes to recieve the scholly letter.

Scholarship letters come some weeks after. Your application goes through a scholarship board after admission

0 and 16

Postby 0 and 16 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:11 am

Does anyone know what the big/mid law landscape looks like in Louisiana?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:56 am

Cestjustemoi wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:My acceptance letter is dated Jan 27th, for those who recieved a scholarship did it come in the acceptance package or later? My numbers are above their 75% for LSAT and just below 75% for GPA, so hopefully I should recieve some type of aid. Just curious about how long it takes to recieve the scholly letter.

Scholarship letters come some weeks after. Your application goes through a scholarship board after admission

I have a feeling that what they are doing now is sending it straight from admissions committee to the scholarship board then to the applicant.

haider

Postby haider » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:19 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
movieguru873 wrote:

Feel free to call admissions and prove me wrong. I would love to be wrong about this.

In my post above, I said I did call, and they said "There are a lot of different way to establish residency." That's why I researched it and found all the different ways to establish residency on the LSU website.

I would really think it would ridiculous if you had to work full-time for one year.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

haider wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
movieguru873 wrote:

In my post above, I said I did call, and they said "There are a lot of different way to establish residency." That's why I researched it and found all the different ways to establish residency on the LSU website.

I would really think it would ridiculous if you had to work full-time for one year.

I also think it'd be ridiculous but it's that way now in Texas and the UF rep told me Florida is like that now. But when I contacted the LSU office they didn't say LSU was like that, they pointed me to the document you found, PM-31. I posted it in the other LSU thread. Anyhow, it's not a matter of just reaching 2L year and getting residency, but it doesn't look impossible...actually, it's looks very doable.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 pm

The rep I talked to said otherwise. Sounds like the school has its head up its ass a bit about this. Any suggestions on how to get a definitive answer on this?

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm

darknightbegins wrote:The rep I talked to said otherwise. Sounds like the school has its head up its ass a bit about this. Any suggestions on how to get a definitive answer on this?

This is what haider posted above and what i was referred to by the adcomm's office:

--LinkRemoved--

My suggestion would be to read over that and if you still feel uneasy about it, then call the adcomm's office and ask who decides residency status and try to talk to them about whatever issues you might have with this document.

I read it and might ask for more clarification if I decide LSU is pretty much where I want to go...but I'm not quite there yet.

supersixtwo

Postby supersixtwo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Waitlist letter today.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 pm

supersixtwo wrote:Waitlist letter today.

did your PAWS account expand? Trying to verify if PAWS expansion = admit or possibly waitlist too.

ahk!

Postby ahk! » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 pm

macatak911 wrote:

did your PAWS account expand? Trying to verify if PAWS expansion = admit or possibly waitlist too.

i'm on the WL and my paws has never expanded

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 am

Anyone contemplating living on campus?

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 pm

ahk! wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

i'm on the WL and my paws has never expanded

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”