LSU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BriaTharen

Re: LSU 2010

Postby BriaTharen » Fri May 07, 2010 10:13 am

Haha guys- well, I for one will be at One Lakeshore Place. Where is everyone else living?

jaw05e

Postby jaw05e » Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 am

JessicaTiger wrote:Haha guys- well, I for one will be at One Lakeshore Place. Where is everyone else living?

Are there any places you recommend staying away from that are near campus?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 am

jaw05e wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:Haha guys- well, I for one will be at One Lakeshore Place. Where is everyone else living?

Are there any places you recommend staying away from that are near campus?

The Commons and University Crescent, both are really loud on the weekends

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Fri May 07, 2010 2:42 pm

mdickson wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:Just got back from an apartment hunting trip to B.R. ... decided on the Park at Bluebonnet. Pretty excited, looks like a very nice place.

Good choice.

If you like to party, come checkout building 4.

Oh, I like to party.

lawschooldude

Postby lawschooldude » Fri May 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on TLS and I figured this might be the best place to start. I am in a weird predicament at the moment with LSU Law. I was debating between LSU (full scholarship) and another law school, and early on, I decided with the latter. However, I visited this other school and was absolutely turned off about it. So, now I decided to attend LSU. However, I have missed both seat deposit deadlines. I talked to an admissions lady today and was redirected to email a lady with the last name Cadray. I pleaded my case, but unfortunately she said the class was full. She mentioned that she might be able to bring my file back up to the Admissions and Scholarship committees next week.

So, now I am screwed and potentially will have to wait to next cycle because I am an idiot for not putting my seat deposits down. Even if by a miracle I get back in, I am fairly certain I will lose my full tuition scholarship.

So....FML

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri May 07, 2010 8:18 pm

lawschooldude wrote:Hello everyone.

This is my first post on TLS and I figured this might be the best place to start. I am in a weird predicament at the moment with LSU Law. I was debating between LSU (full scholarship) and another law school, and early on, I decided with the latter. However, I visited this other school and was absolutely turned off about it. So, now I decided to attend LSU. However, I have missed both seat deposit deadlines. I talked to an admissions lady today and was redirected to email a lady with the last name Cadray. I pleaded my case, but unfortunately she said the class was full. She mentioned that she might be able to bring my file back up to the Admissions and Scholarship committees next week.

So, now I am screwed and potentially will have to wait to next cycle because I am an idiot for not putting my seat deposits down. Even if by a miracle I get back in, I am fairly certain I will lose my full tuition scholarship.

So....FML

Yeah, Lynell Cadray is the Dean of Admissions. Sucks, man :? - good luck!

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Fri May 07, 2010 8:19 pm

So....FML

She told you the class was full?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri May 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Genericswingman wrote:

So....FML

Well, both seat deposits have passed, so now they have gone to pull from the waitlist.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Fri May 07, 2010 8:41 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:

So....FML

Well, both seat deposits have passed, so now they have gone to pull from the waitlist.

Do you think it is possible that the class was filled without going to the waitlist?

I' mean, do you know if LSU had to even use their waitlist?

(I'm geniunely asking b/c I'm on the waitlist and desperately want to get in)

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri May 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Genericswingman wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:

Do you think it is possible that the class was filled without going to the waitlist?

One of the professors at the scholarship dinner said that basically if they don't get in all of the seat deposits, then they are going to have to go to the waitlist. So they are probably going to the waitlist right now for people that didn't turn in seat deposits. They will continue to pull from the waitlist during the summer when people, who have paid the deposit, decide to go elsewhere.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Fri May 07, 2010 9:35 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:

One of the professors at the scholarship dinner said that basically if they don't get in all of the seat deposits, then they are going to have to go to the waitlist. So they are probably going to the waitlist right now for people that didn't turn in seat deposits. They will continue to pull from the waitlist during the summer when people, who have paid the deposit, decide to go elsewhere.

So, the professor said that if they didn't receive ALL of the seat deposits, then they would go to the waitlist?

I was thinking the admissions committee would have accepted, say 550 applicants, and (with a yield of say 40%) received deposits from about 210 - 225 applicants (allowing the school to have three sections of 70-75 students without a need to even use the waitlist).

I'm worried the admission committee may have received so many deposits that they didn't need to use the waitlist. But, if the admission committee initially only accepts enough applicants to fill out the class (say 220), then I'm sure they would need to go to the waitlist. But that method seems so different from every other school's protocol.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Sat May 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Genericswingman wrote:
So, the professor said that if they didn't receive ALL of the seat deposits, then they would go to the waitlist?

I was thinking the admissions committee would have accepted, say 550 applicants, and (with a yield of say 40%) received deposits from about 210 - 225 applicants (allowing the school to have three sections of 70-75 students without a need to even use the waitlist).

I'm worried the admission committee may have received so many deposits that they didn't need to use the waitlist. But, if the admission committee initially only accepts enough applicants to fill out the class (say 220), then I'm sure they would need to go to the waitlist. But that method seems so different from every other school's protocol.

The bolded is most definitely correct.

IF they really have already filled the class without going to the waitlist, then your best chance is to hope that some students who paid both deposits end up choosing not to attend (i.e., getting accepted off the waitlist at their dream school later this summer), opening up spots in the class. Basically, even though the class could already be full, the waitlisted still have a chance later this summer.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Sat May 08, 2010 4:20 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:

The bolded is most definitely correct.

IF they really have already filled the class without going to the waitlist, then your best chance is to hope that some students who paid both deposits end up choosing not to attend (i.e., getting accepted off the waitlist at their dream school later this summer), opening up spots in the class. Basically, even though the class could already be full, the waitlisted still have a chance later this summer.

Yea, better late than never I guess (just makes for a crazy summer)

dax9876

Postby dax9876 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi to all my fellow Waitlisters at LSU. I saw on LSN that some people were offered seats off the waitlist in the first week of May. This year there is no movement yet, at least on LSN. Anyone hear anything about the waitlist yet?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 pm

For those worried about your scholarship not appearing on the Financial Aid section of PAWS, mine is now there 8)

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon May 10, 2010 5:46 pm

macatak911 wrote:For those worried about your scholarship not appearing on the Financial Aid section of PAWS, mine is now there 8)

Woo hoo, mine's there too.

Anybody know if they have announced 2010's exact $$$ of tuition yet?

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 pm

hold up...I dont see my scholarship on there. It just shows my financial aid but not the scholarship. Whats up with that?

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Has anyone here read GTM or PLS or thinking of reading anything over the summer??

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon May 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Cemoore4 wrote:Has anyone here read GTM or PLS or thinking of reading anything over the summer??

I'm gonna read GTM... that's all.

Genericswingman

Postby Genericswingman » Tue May 11, 2010 12:08 pm

dax9876 wrote:Hi to all my fellow Waitlisters at LSU. I saw on LSN that some people were offered seats off the waitlist in the first week of May. This year there is no movement yet, at least on LSN. Anyone hear anything about the waitlist yet?

LSU is at the top of my wishlist but, if the post above are correct, it looks like the class is full for now.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Cemoore4 wrote:Has anyone here read GTM or PLS or thinking of reading anything over the summer??

Yeah, I read GTM a few months ago and it's a pretty good resource when it comes to understanding the construction and scope of law exam hypos. I wouldn't spend money on PLS, go to the bookstore and borrow it if you can. It's a really depressing book and it seems as though the author has a grudge with the whole legal system, and it's also very unorganized. I would also suggest taking LEEWS and reading Law School Confidential. LSC goes through the whole process of law school, from the LSAT to the Bar. Getting the Bluebook would also be beneficial so you can get a jump on learning legal citation, which is essential if you want to get on to the law review or moot court team.

Other then that, I would suggest you pick up a favorite non-legal book and enjoy the summer. Read for pleasure now because you're probably not going to get the chance to do so for the next three years. Take it easy.

jaw05e

Postby jaw05e » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 pm

macatak911 wrote:For those worried about your scholarship not appearing on the Financial Aid section of PAWS, mine is now there 8)

Does yours say the exact amount of money you received? Mine doesnt say the scholarship amount, it just says "Nonresident Fee Waiver." I wonder if my scholarship is just in-state tuition?

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 pm

jaw05e wrote:

Does yours say the exact amount of money you received? Mine doesnt say the scholarship amount, it just says "Nonresident Fee Waiver." I wonder if my scholarship is just in-state tuition?

just called today about that. Scholarship amounts won't appear on the account until June. Mine currently lists my financial aid but not my faculty-merit scholarship. It just says, "Tuition fee waiver" but no actual amount

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:24 am

Publius39 wrote:

Yeah, I read GTM a few months ago and it's a pretty good resource when it comes to understanding the construction and scope of law exam hypos. I wouldn't spend money on PLS, go to the bookstore and borrow it if you can. It's a really depressing book and it seems as though the author has a grudge with the whole legal system, and it's also very unorganized. I would also suggest taking LEEWS and reading Law School Confidential. LSC goes through the whole process of law school, from the LSAT to the Bar. Getting the Bluebook would also be beneficial so you can get a jump on learning legal citation, which is essential if you want to get on to the law review or moot court team.

Other then that, I would suggest you pick up a favorite non-legal book and enjoy the summer. Read for pleasure now because you're probably not going to get the chance to do so for the next three years. Take it easy.

Yea, I have also read both. I would definitely tell anyone NOT to buy PLS. The guy rambles about so much irrelevant crap. The book is roughly 800 pages and maybe contains 200 pages, at most, of decent information. However, I just finished GTM and thought it was great.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Wed May 12, 2010 1:35 pm

jaw05e wrote:

That's what mine is too... Nonresident Fee Waiver. Means in-state tuition.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”