LSU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
macatak911

Re: LSU 2010

Postby macatak911 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:LOL for the most part, Reggie's holds the freshmen, but the girls only need to be 19 to get into Fred's (guys need to be 20, I think).

My sister is 18 and she goes to Fred's all the time. I have no clue how she does it and quite honestly don't want to know! :|

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:18 pm

So who is planning on going to the scholarship dinner? I know I will be there- who will I be seeing? :-)

JJWAL

Postby JJWAL » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by JJWAL on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:25 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:So who is planning on going to the scholarship dinner? I know I will be there- who will I be seeing? :-)

I'd love to come... but its an 8 hour drive for me. Would be a good opportunity to check out potential places to live, but it all depends on whether or not I can get a couple days off work (not easy on short notice). Hopefully it will work out.

April 26th, right? Anybody know what time?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:So who is planning on going to the scholarship dinner? I know I will be there- who will I be seeing? :-)

I'm never one to pass up free things....

ChattTNdt wrote:I'd love to come... but its an 8 hour drive for me. Would be a good opportunity to check out potential places to live, but it all depends on whether or not I can get a couple days off work (not easy on short notice). Hopefully it will work out.

Apr 26th, 5:30

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:

I'd love to come... but its an 8 hour drive for me. Would be a good opportunity to check out potential places to live, but it all depends on whether or not I can get a couple days off work (not easy on short notice). Hopefully it will work out.

5:30 p.m. Somebody also mentioned there will be a tour of Tiger Stadium too.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:30 pm

rcharles wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:

5:30 p.m. Somebody also mentioned there will be a tour of Tiger Stadium too.

Hmmm that could work then... if I get Monday and Tuesday off then I could drive down Sunday afternoon and have a full day to look for a place to live.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:37 pm

rcharles wrote:5:30 p.m. Somebody also mentioned there will be a tour of Tiger Stadium too.

Yeah. The reception/dinner is in one of the rooms connected to the actual stadium so should be a good experience for those who haven't yet had a chance to see Tiger Stadium.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Last edited by BriaTharen on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lsat101

Postby Lsat101 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Hey Guys,
I also got the invite to the scholarship dinner on the 26th. To be honest, I had pretty much crossed LSU off my list but they offered me 12k a year and now are back in the running. I was in Oxford visiting Ole Miss when I heard so there was no way for me to make it to Baton Rouge, would anyone mind elaborating on the ASD? My concern with LSU is the uniquely Louisiana law curriculum. I plan on taking the bar/practicing out of the state so I'm not sure how that affects job prospects. I will try to make it to the dinner and have these questions answered but any insight would be great. Thanks

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Lsat101 wrote:Hey Guys,
I also got the invite to the scholarship dinner on the 26th. To be honest, I had pretty much crossed LSU off my list but they offered me 12k a year and now are back in the running. I was in Oxford visiting Ole Miss when I heard so there was no way for me to make it to Baton Rouge, would anyone mind elaborating on the ASD? My concern with LSU is the uniquely Louisiana law curriculum. I plan on taking the bar/practicing out of the state so I'm not sure how that affects job prospects. I will try to make it to the dinner and have these questions answered but any insight would be great. Thanks

Hi! The Civil/Common law is a legit concern, but it is one that LSU deals with very well. The majority of your classes will be in common law courses, but you will take civil law classes so when you graduate, you will have your JD as well as I think they call it a "certification in Comparative Law." Basically what boils down to is that LSU is going to prepare you for law regardless of whether you want to go out of Louisiana or stay within the state. I'm not sure what information specifically you were looking for about the ASD- you have anything in particular in mind?

However, as far as going out of state goes, if you have a particular state in mind, many people will tell you that going to school in that state is a good idea. Connections you make in LS are pretty important, so if you know where you want to practice, it isn't a terrible idea to look into those schools. But LSU will prepare you regardless of whether you stay or go.

Lsat101

Postby Lsat101 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks for the great info! I am planning on practicing in FL but haven't heard back from FSU yet (160/3.3) so I'm trying to make a contingency plan. Right now Ole Miss and LSU are my back-ups. I guess neither school has particular ties to job prospects in FL and LSU is ranked much better than Ole Miss, I will do some research and see if it's worth sending the seat deposit to LSU tomorrow.

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I think I'm going to be there. I'm go to school in memphis so its a bit of a drive, but I really want to see tiger stadium, and hopefully get some more fried oysters

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:42 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:I feel like we should have our TLS names printed on our name tags along with the real ones so we can identify people this time lol.

Or maybe just take a pen and put a little mini * or something subtle.

Lsat101 wrote:Hey Guys,

ASD went great IMO. Started with a message from the Chancellor. Next was a mock class with Trahan. Hilarious stuff, and I can vouch he was like that in his normal class because I sat in on his class when I visited in January. Next there was a staff panel with people from financial aid, registrar, library, etc. Pretty basic stuff. Next was lunch, then a student panel where they answered questions. Again, basic stuff. Tour then free tshirt.

Obviously, LSU places mainly in Louisiana. Followed by Texas. Then Florida.. http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux= ... ilocations

I mean, I wouldn't come in expecting Florida law firms to come in and OCI. If you are really looking out of state you'll probably have to do a lot of resume mailings. The thing with LSU is it's common law PLUS civil law. You get both. Probably one of the reasons the saying goes "If you can pass the Louisiana Bar you can pass the Bar anywhere"

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:10 am

JessicaTiger wrote:I feel like we should have our TLS names printed on our name tags along with the real ones so we can identify people this time lol.

Maybe we should do it for that freshmen orientation thing that they have the week before classes begin. It could be an inside joke for all of us.lol

LA Beserker

Postby LA Beserker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 am

Lsat101 wrote:Thanks for the great info! I am planning on practicing in FL but haven't heard back from FSU yet (160/3.3) so I'm trying to make a contingency plan. Right now Ole Miss and LSU are my back-ups. I guess neither school has particular ties to job prospects in FL and LSU is ranked much better than Ole Miss, I will do some research and see if it's worth sending the seat deposit to LSU tomorrow.

I have had some luck with extensions on seat deposits, so if you plan on trying to attend the scholarship dinner I am sure they will grant you one. Personally, I just sent my deposit and am attending the scholarship dinner. Hope to see yall there.

Cemoore4

Postby Cemoore4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 am

I bummed I won't be able to make it to the scholarship dinner. I will be there in spirit I guess. Maybe I could drop my previous engagement if they could hook us up with a locker room tour after? Sweeten the pot a little?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 am

Cemoore4 wrote:I bummed I won't be able to make it to the scholarship dinner. I will be there in spirit I guess. Maybe I could drop my previous engagement if they could hook us up with a locker room tour after? Sweeten the pot a little?

they might, you never know. It is the offseason.

Tigerbait

Postby Tigerbait » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56 am

I'll be at the scholarship dinner. Should be fun if it's in Tiger Stadium. I hope the tour has some cool stuff like seeing the old dorms in there or the locker rooms or something like that!

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Tigerbait wrote:Haha JessicaTiger you are awesome!

I'm Eva. I was at the ASD but I don't think I met any of the people on here (or hey, maybe I did!)

Has everyone figured out what they're doing for housing yet? I'm still not quite sure, and it's definitely not made easier by the fact that I have to find a place that will accept both me and my dog!

Actually, after seeing your picture in the FB group (I don't think there are too many Eva's so I think it is you lol), I do remember seeing you around, but don't think we talked. Nice to see you'll be going to the scholarship dinner- maybe we can talk this time!

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Scholarship letter finally arrived!

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 pm

New Law School rankings out. LSU drops slightly to 80

Wouldn't read too much into it. There's a giant cluster of schools around this range.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:17 pm

macatak911 wrote:I'd also like to add that this thread has been damn good over the past few months. The 2012 class thread was three pages. We've hit 20. BOOM.

I noticed that too, it sounds like we're all going to get together pretty well, which is always a good thing. A lot of smart asses on here. I'm just disappointed that I couldn't make ASD and the scholarship dinner, because I was really looking forward to meeting you guys. I am on the ubber-elite FB group though.;)

JJWAL

Postby JJWAL » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Last edited by JJWAL on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 pm

JJWAL wrote:Mailing in my seat deposit tomorrow morning. Does anyone know the address we are supposed to mail it to?

I assumed it was the address at the very bottom of the deposit form. LSU Law Center Room 202

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”