LSU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nick637

Re: LSU 2010

Postby nick637 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Publius39 wrote:
nick637 wrote:
Publius39 wrote:I just got off the phone with Daphne from admissions and they are going to wave my non-resident fee, which would save me about $12,000 a year in tuition. Not a bad deal taking into consideration that I don't have to pay for housing now.

Was this unsolicited?

Nope, she told me to call her yesterday to see what the deal was with the scholarship board because it was a selling point for me when I visited the campus last month. I needed to hear something from them before I mailed in my seat deposit.

looks like i have some calling to do.

thanks, and congrats!

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Was this unsolicited?[/quote]

Nope, she told me to call her yesterday to see what the deal was with the scholarship board because it was a selling point for me when I visited the campus last month. I needed to hear something from them before I mailed in my seat deposit.[/quote]

thanks, and congrats![/quote]

No problem man, I appreciate the congrats too. I wonder how they're going to split us into sections? Is it going to be random or can we actually pick the section?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Publius39 wrote:Was this unsolicited?

Nope, she told me to call her yesterday to see what the deal was with the scholarship board because it was a selling point for me when I visited the campus last month. I needed to hear something from them before I mailed in my seat deposit.

thanks, and congrats!

No problem man, I appreciate the congrats too. I wonder how they're going to split us into sections? Is it going to be random or can we actually pick the section?

I heard it's random, the registrar randomly assigns I heard. Although, my sister is good friends with one of the Legal Writing teachers and supposedly she is going to request NOT to have me...so there may be some tweaking.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:21 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
rcharles wrote:I wont be able to attend the Faculty Webchat tonight due to work commitments. Could someone please copy a manuscript for me?

Will do.

Thanks!

Tigerlaff

Postby Tigerlaff » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

WHOOOO ADMITTED!!!!!! 3 MORE YEARS OF LSU GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!! GEAUX JIM BEAM!!!!!!!

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Tigerlaff wrote:WHOOOO ADMITTED!!!!!! 3 MORE YEARS OF LSU GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!! GEAUX JIM BEAM!!!!!!!

Congratulations. I'll see you in August.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I was just wondering if any of you guys are doing anything to get ready for law school this August. I've been reading some books and looking into some note-taking software, but other then that, I'm taking the summer off. Anyone got any tips or anything?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Tigerlaff wrote:WHOOOO ADMITTED!!!!!! 3 MORE YEARS OF LSU GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!! GEAUX JIM BEAM!!!!!!!

Awesome! Now you can join our uber-elite Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110577978956222

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Publius39 wrote:I was just wondering if any of you guys are doing anything to get ready for law school this August. I've been reading some books and looking into some note-taking software, but other then that, I'm taking the summer off. Anyone got any tips or anything?

I would expect that some casual reading to mentally prepare for the type of thinking you'll be doing as a 1L would be beneficial. Other than that, I'd say take it easy and enjoy your freedom while you've still got it.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Publius39 wrote:I was just wondering if any of you guys are doing anything to get ready for law school this August. I've been reading some books and looking into some note-taking software, but other then that, I'm taking the summer off. Anyone got any tips or anything?

Pretty much the general consensus is to just enjoy your last summer of freedom.

Re: software....check out Microsoft OneNote if you do Windows....Mac route (me included)....still searching for an equivalent....

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:02 pm

macatak911 wrote:

Re: software....check out Microsoft OneNote if you do Windows....Mac route (me included)....still searching for an equivalent....

Okay cool, I'm on the right track then. I did look into OneNote and I think that's going to be the one that I end up with at the end of the day. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I would suggest that if any of you want a little insight on law school and exam taking, you guys should read Law School Confidential and Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams. They give a comprehensive look at everything involved in law school, including summer employment and outlining.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Publius39 wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

Okay cool, I'm on the right track then. I did look into OneNote and I think that's going to be the one that I end up with at the end of the day. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I would suggest that if any of you want a little insight on law school and exam taking, you guys should read Law School Confidential and Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams. They give a comprehensive look at everything involved in law school, including summer employment and outlining.

Yeah I read LSC and GTM. Good insight. LSC gives you a decent overview of what to expect. I'll probably reread GTM closer to exams to refresh my memory.

I tried reading Planet Law School 2 but got so fed up with his pessimistic attitude and lack of organization I quit halfway.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:33 pm

I heard that as well about Planet Law School. Pesimissism is the last thing ANY law student needs to deal with. It sounds like both of us are ahead of the curve, if that's even possible.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Publius39 wrote:I heard that as well about Planet Law School. Pesimissism is the last thing ANY law student needs to deal with. It sounds like both of us are ahead of the curve, if that's even possible.

Yeah I skimmed ahead in PLS and he advocates some insane 400 page a week prep by reading primers and such. Even so, I don't know how much that would benefit us with the whole civil vs common law thing.

Yeah most of my summer time will be taken up by two things. Basketball and golf. Hopefully next fall I'll still have time for some pickup games in the REC....everybody needs some exercise lol

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 pm

macatak911 wrote:
Publius39 wrote:I heard that as well about Planet Law School. Pesimissism is the last thing ANY law student needs to deal with. It sounds like both of us are ahead of the curve, if that's even possible.

Yeah I skimmed ahead in PLS and he advocates some insane 400 page a week prep by reading primers and such. Even so, I don't know how much that would benefit us with the whole civil vs common law thing.

Yeah most of my summer time will be taken up by two things. Basketball and golf. Hopefully next fall I'll still have time for some pickup games in the REC....everybody needs some exercise lol

Yeah, you're right about the whole exercise thing. I need to start running again. My friend is a lawyer in DC and he did tell me to look into Civ Pro a little before classes start because it's typically a difficult 1L class and teachers don't do a good job teaching it. I have a couple Emmanuel's outlines from a friend, but I'm not going to crack those open until school starts.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:07 pm

From the chat:

"Scholarship decisions are being made now. We hope to notify all
students within the next day with scholarship decisions. Hopefully this will give you
enough time to make your final decisions."

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Further:

"If we have not received notification by this weekend, will there be any
opportunity to find out for sure about scholarship decisions at the event on Saturday?"

"Daphne says: you will receive notification before Saturday, however we will have
a representative from the Office of Financial Aid available and the admission staff will be
available to you all day."

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Too bad I'm leaving town around noon on Thursday... will miss out on checking any mail past Wednesday... oh well, guess I'll find out when I get there.

"Hey Financial Aid Representative...umm... did I get $$$$$ ? " :|

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:03 pm

If anyone wants the transcript, PM me your email.

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:28 am

hey have any of you guys signed up for housing yet? Im surprised at how cheap some of the graduate 2 bedrooms are

JJWAL

Postby JJWAL » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Last edited by JJWAL on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

JJWAL wrote:Anyone recieved an email regarding scholarships today? From some of the previous posts, sounds like we should here something real soon if we are going to get one.

I'm going to venture a guess and say they will be mailing notices (just a hunch based on how LSU's notification of anything reated to money/admission works). I hope I'm wrong and it's email because checking the mail constantly daily is getting annoying.

The lady did say we will know before Saturday. Which could mean email because say you have somebody in Florida or Cali, how will they receive notice if it's first class mail being sent today/yesterday?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Mac since you know the area a hell of alot better than I do, is the on campus housing worth a damn or am I better off just paying a little extra to live off campus? Ideally I want to live near enough campus so that I can walk (I like the exercise and I hate looking for parking, don't need students scratching my car) to class. I'm open to a one or 2 bedroom place. At my undergrad the only grad housing they had was situated with the "family housing" wing and I did not want to deal with kids while I was trying to study. Is that how the housing at LSU is? Or are grad students, who don't have kids, segregated from those that do have kids?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Mac since you know the area a hell of alot better than I do, is the on campus housing worth a damn or am I better off just paying a little extra to live off campus? Ideally I want to live near enough campus so that I can walk (I like the exercise and I hate looking for parking, don't need students scratching my car) to class. I'm open to a one or 2 bedroom place. At my undergrad the only grad housing they had was situated with the "family housing" wing and I did not want to deal with kids while I was trying to study. Is that how the housing at LSU is? Or are grad students, who don't have kids, segregated from those that do have kids?

It's definitely worth looking in to. East campus apartments are pretty nice and quiet for the price, plus you'd get roomed with a law student (or at least a grad student I believe). I still believe it's a mix of ugs and grads because I know for a fact ugs can stay at ECA.

Your other close walkable off campus options are mostly located in the North Gate area.

The Venue - http://www.campusapts.com/Home.aspx?Proj=112&Name=Venue%20At%20Northgate

Sterling Northgate - --LinkRemoved--

Campus Crossing Highland - http://www.campusapts.com/Home.aspx?PageID=51&Proj=110

I know the 1bdrs at these places are in high demand but they usually have a lot of 2s to go around. They are a bit pricy (given their location) but I guess you have to weigh the pros/cons.

I'd definitely check up on what the situation is with ECA on Saturday. Whatever you do, don't stay in graduate dorms though lol.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'll bring that up Saturday. I assume you will be at the cocktail party Friday?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”