LSU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
macatak911

Re: LSU 2010

Postby macatak911 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Everyone else get the webchat invite for next Monday?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Yeah I got it. I plan on attending.

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 am

yeah I got it too. I've never really done a webchat before though...

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 am

I did it for the Miami students. Its just like a chat room format if it is anything like the Miami chat. Just use the link to register shortly before chat session. There may be different rooms where you can talk to administrators then others where you talk to current students.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey everyone, I just got my acceptance package to LSU a couple weeks ago. Finished the housing stuff, fin aid, and my PAWS account has expanded as well. Just waiting to hear about any scholarships right now. Also got the invite to the live chat next monday, and I'm really looking forward to getting to know the class of 2013!

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

LSU was my undergrad... and I was not considering them for law school until they gave me a full ride. Idk what to do :oops:

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

TonyDigital wrote:
boadicea wrote:
movieguru873 wrote:anybody get the invite for admitted students today? is anybody planning on going to that? I think its in Mid march

through what medium did you get the invite?

I got mine through email. I thought it was kinda weird the ASD is April 10th I believe...which is after our first seat deposit is due. I'll probably try to visit on my own before I have to make a decision.

I thought the first seat deposit was the 15th of April? It doesn't matter for me, I already arranged a trip to visit the campus next week. Is anyone else going to go on the live chat next Monday?

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:How many people here planning on living on campus?

I plan on living on campus. It shouldn't be that bad, especially since I'm from Michigan and it gets cold as hell up here. I'm looking forward to the weather down in BR.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm

macatak911 wrote:For anyone wondering what your admission packet will look like: (click to enlarge)

Envelope

Packet

Open Packet

Letter

Accepted Students Day

Decal Thingy

Yep, that's the same stuff I got. I'm really sitting on pins and needles waiting for a scholarship decision.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:LSU was my undergrad... and I was not considering them for law school until they gave me a full ride. Idk what to do :oops:

Stay true to your AM 8)

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Publius39 wrote:I thought the first seat deposit was the 15th of April? It doesn't matter for me, I already arranged a trip to visit the campus next week. Is anyone else going to go on the live chat next Monday?

Publius39 wrote:I plan on living on campus. It shouldn't be that bad, especially since I'm from Michigan and it gets cold as hell up here. I'm looking forward to the weather down in BR.

Publius39 wrote: Yep, that's the same stuff I got. I'm really sitting on pins and needles waiting for a scholarship decision.

First seat deposit is April 15th. It apparently was originally the 1st but they moved it.

Yup I'll be in the live chat. Have to try to come up with some questions to ask beforehand lol.

Weather is niiiiiice, just be prepared to sweat more than you ever have in August. It's worth going trough to get the wonderful fall/winter/spring weather though.

Go my acceptance packet on 2/17/10 and it approaching three weeks now which seems to be the approximate scholarship decision turnaround time. :crossingfingers:

You coming down for ASD?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 pm

OK, I've read the entire thread and unless I missed something, I don't understand what people mean by "My PAWS expanded". I have a PAWS account, etc. But I wouldn't know my ass from my elbow about it expanding or not. Anybody clarify?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 pm

DonnyMost wrote:OK, I've read the entire thread and unless I missed something, I don't understand what people mean by "My PAWS expanded". I have a PAWS account, etc. But I wouldn't know my ass from my elbow about it expanding or not. Anybody clarify?

1) Go to paws.lsu.edu

2) login

3) Expand "Student Services"

4) If many things appear including "Law Course Offerings" and "Housing Application" then welcome to the LSU Law Class of 2013 :D

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 pm

macatak911 wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:OK, I've read the entire thread and unless I missed something, I don't understand what people mean by "My PAWS expanded". I have a PAWS account, etc. But I wouldn't know my ass from my elbow about it expanding or not. Anybody clarify?

1) Go to paws.lsu.edu

2) login

4) If many things appear including "Law Course Offerings" and "Housing Application" then welcome to the LSU Law Class of 2013 :D

Muchias gracias.

Alas, my PAWS are tiny and contracted.

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:33 pm

macatak911 wrote:
Publius39 wrote:I thought the first seat deposit was the 15th of April? It doesn't matter for me, I already arranged a trip to visit the campus next week. Is anyone else going to go on the live chat next Monday?

Publius39 wrote:I plan on living on campus. It shouldn't be that bad, especially since I'm from Michigan and it gets cold as hell up here. I'm looking forward to the weather down in BR.

Publius39 wrote: Yep, that's the same stuff I got. I'm really sitting on pins and needles waiting for a scholarship decision.

First seat deposit is April 15th. It apparently was originally the 1st but they moved it.

Yup I'll be in the live chat. Have to try to come up with some questions to ask beforehand lol.

Weather is niiiiiice, just be prepared to sweat more than you ever have in August. It's worth going trough to get the wonderful fall/winter/spring weather though.

Go my acceptance packet on 2/17/10 and it approaching three weeks now which seems to be the approximate scholarship decision turnaround time. :crossingfingers:

You coming down for ASD?

I wish I could, I'm going next week to check things out. Are you going to be on the live chat this coming up monday? If so PM me your screen name.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 am

macatak911 wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:LSU was my undergrad... and I was not considering them for law school until they gave me a full ride. Idk what to do :oops:

Stay true to your AM 8)

I feel like a traitor :oops:

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Publius39 wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:How many people here planning on living on campus?

I plan on living on campus. It shouldn't be that bad, especially since I'm from Michigan and it gets cold as hell up here. I'm looking forward to the weather down in BR.

I live in Florida I have had people tell me the humidity in BR is way worse than Flo Rida. I not excited about even worse humidty, plus their winters get way colder than what I'm use to. :-( I hope it doesn't get too cold!

JJWAL

Postby JJWAL » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by JJWAL on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 pm

JJWAL wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

1) Go to paws.lsu.edu

2) login

Any Confirmation on this....Mine shows "Law course offerings" and "housing app"...but no decision yet.

You should be getting you acceptance packet in a week or so from the point it expanded. I was hounding people about this earlier in the thread. Confirmed from multiple people:

Declined - won't expand

Waitlist - won't expand

Accepted - expand

Hope to see you at ASD 8)

lala222

Postby lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 am

Anyone know anything about their waitlist? Whats the deal with it?

p_r

Postby p_r » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate in the chat tomorrow evening as I have to work, but if anyone who does not reside in Louisiana and is thinking of obtaining residency status for tuition purposes in their second year of law school could ask about the likelihood of that happening, I would appreciate it very much. Specifically, I am interested in the weight the last part of the following paragraph has on the decision of granting a request for reclassification:
In order to establish financial independence, a student seeking reclassification should meet the
following criteria for the current and immediately preceding calendar year: (1) that the student has not
been claimed as an exemption for state or federal income tax purposes by his/her non-resident parents;
(2) that the student has not lived in the home of his/her non-resident parents for more than six weeks
after the time at which a Louisiana domicile is claimed; and (3) that the student’s primary source of
financial support not be derived from Federal programs and/or campus employment (such as graduate
assistant scholarships and scholarships that provide a waiver of non-resident fees).

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:41 pm

p_r wrote:Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate in the chat tomorrow evening as I have to work, but if anyone who does not reside in Louisiana and is thinking of obtaining residency status for tuition purposes in their second year of law school could ask about the likelihood of that happening, I would appreciate it very much. Specifically, I am interested in the weight the last part of the following paragraph has on the decision of granting a request for reclassification:
In order to establish financial independence, a student seeking reclassification should meet the
following criteria for the current and immediately preceding calendar year: (1) that the student has not
been claimed as an exemption for state or federal income tax purposes by his/her non-resident parents;
(2) that the student has not lived in the home of his/her non-resident parents for more than six weeks
after the time at which a Louisiana domicile is claimed; and (3) that the student’s primary source of
financial support not be derived from Federal programs and/or campus employment (such as graduate
assistant scholarships and scholarships that provide a waiver of non-resident fees).

Found this PDF....doesn't look good..

--LinkRemoved--

DEFINITION OF A RESIDENT STUDENT
A resident student for tuition purposes is defined as one who has abandoned all prior domiciles and has
been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately
preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. A non-resident
student for tuition purposes is one who is not eligible for classification as a resident student under these
regulations.
The individual’s physical presence within this state for one year must be associated with substantial
evidence that such presence was with the intent to maintain a Louisiana domicile. Physical presence
within the state solely for educational purposes without substantial evidence of the intent to remain in
Louisiana will not be sufficient for resident classification regardless of the length of time within the state.

You're going to run into this problem regardless. Someone spoke to someone at admissions earlier in the thread and they said that you have to be working full time 365 days.

p_r

Postby p_r » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:57 pm

macatak911 wrote:
p_r wrote:Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate in the chat tomorrow evening as I have to work, but if anyone who does not reside in Louisiana and is thinking of obtaining residency status for tuition purposes in their second year of law school could ask about the likelihood of that happening, I would appreciate it very much. Specifically, I am interested in the weight the last part of the following paragraph has on the decision of granting a request for reclassification:

--LinkRemoved--

A resident student for tuition purposes is defined as one who has abandoned all prior domiciles and has
been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately
preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. A non-resident
student for tuition purposes is one who is not eligible for classification as a resident student under these
regulations.
The individual’s physical presence within this state for one year must be associated with substantial
evidence that such presence was with the intent to maintain a Louisiana domicile. Physical presence
within the state solely for educational purposes without substantial evidence of the intent to remain in
Louisiana will not be sufficient for resident classification regardless of the length of time within the state.

You're going to run into this problem regardless. Someone spoke to someone at admissions earlier in the thread and they said that you have to be working full time 365 days.

If work is involved then you're right, it doesn't look good. All the other things I wasn't so concerned about--registering my car, getting a new license, registering to vote, and declaring Louisiana domicile is about a half-day's worth of errands.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:01 pm

p_r wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

regulations.

If work is involved then you're right, it doesn't look good. All the other things I wasn't so concerned about--registering my car, getting a new license, registering to vote, and declaring Louisiana domicile is about a half-day's worth of errands.

Yeah, LSU Law seems very strict about this. One guy earlier in the thread was denied instate tuition, even though he attended LSU-Eunice for four year with instate tuition.

p_r

Postby p_r » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:04 pm

byron2008 wrote:Macktack, I just spoke to admissions and they told me that I am still not considered a resident, even though LSUS considers me one. They are sending me a residency appeal form. I highly doubt I will attend if I can't get in-state tuition, I really wish I had known about this before I applied.

Is this the post you're referring to, macatak? If so, my request still stands.

Edit: where exactly is the post about working full time? I can't find it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”