LSU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSAT N00b

Re: LSU 2010

Postby LSAT N00b » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 am

I lived in East Campus apartments for undergrad. Graduated last year.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:58 am

macatak911 wrote:Regarding housing:

On campus: They house the law students
in the "East Campus Apartments." Know some people who lived there in UG, pretty nice.

Off campus: There are many options within two blocks of the law school at the North Gates of LSU. Specifically, The Venue at North Gates, Campus Crossings Highland, and Sterling North Gate. Google either of those to find more info. Further off campus there are a plethera of options. When I visited in late January I got a visitor pass to park in the law school student lot and it was barely even half full (at 10 am), so commuting from off campus shouldn't be a problem parking wise like it is with UG. I personally will most likely be staying at one of the North Gate apartment complexes simply because of location. The idea of front door to school in 3 minutes appeals to me.

If any of yall have more specific questions regarding housing just ask, I went to LSU UG in 05-06.

Price range among these off campus houses? Also do you know if any of these options have refregeration air as an option?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am

darknightbegins wrote:Price range among these off campus houses? Also do you know if any of these options have refregeration air as an option?

For the North Gate locations you're probably looking at $500 or so a month 4bdr and up, with the Venue most likely being the priciest. I'm pretty sure the off campus apartments further away still rent 4bdr in the $400s. The issue being, do you really want to live with three other people in law school? When I visited the Venue I believe they were doing 2 bdr in the $600s

I got no clue on the air.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 am

darknightbegins wrote: In order to establish financial independence, a student seeking reclassification should meet the
following criteria for the current and immediately preceding calendar year: (1) that the student has not
been claimed as an exemption for state or federal income tax purposes by his/her non-resident parents;
(2) that the student has not lived in the home of his/her non-resident parents for more than six weeks
after the time at which a Louisiana domicile is claimed; and (3) that the student’s primary source of
financial support not be derived from Federal programs and/or campus employment (such as graduate
assistant scholarships and scholarships that provide a waiver of non-resident fees).

Number 3 may be important for alot of people in proving they are financially independent from federal loans as well as their parents.

All and all I am still not sure how getting in state residency as a 2L will take or the likelyness of getting the residency. It will be one of the big questions I ask when I go on the tour in April.

Did everyone else get the seat deposit deadline email?

If I can't establish residency after my 1L year, the full scholarship at Loyola is lookin much better... hmmm.....

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

I just visited LSU this past weekend, and it was one of the best weekends of my life. The campus and especially the law building was gorgeous and the bars were awesome. I ate at a place called Chimes and ate a shrimp poboy. I can honestly say that it was the best sandwiches I have ever eaten. The girls were incredibly attractive and the weather was fantastic. All in all, LSU just might be the one

movieguru873

Postby movieguru873 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

also, does anyone know how scholarships work? The scholarship I received was contingent on me remaining in the top 1/3 of my class. But what if after the first year, I was in the top 50% instead. Would the scholarship be stripped entirely or would it be reduced?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm

macatak911 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Price range among these off campus houses? Also do you know if any of these options have refregeration air as an option?

For the North Gate locations you're probably looking at $500 or so a month 4bdr and up, with the Venue most likely being the priciest. I'm pretty sure the off campus apartments further away still rent 4bdr in the $400s. The issue being, do you really want to live with three other people in law school? When I visited the Venue I believe they were doing 2 bdr in the $600s

Yeah a 2 bdr is much more attractive. How much for a single? Any idea?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:41 pm

movieguru873 wrote:I just visited LSU this past weekend, and it was one of the best weekends of my life. The campus and especially the law building was gorgeous and the bars were awesome. I ate at a place called Chimes and ate a shrimp poboy. I can honestly say that it was the best sandwiches I have ever eaten. The girls were incredibly attractive and the weather was fantastic. All in all, LSU just might be the one

The Law Building is really aesthetically pleasing looking from the Parade Grounds.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3618487.jpg

movieguru873 wrote:also, does anyone know how scholarships work? The scholarship I received was contingent on me remaining in the top 1/3 of my class. But what if after the first year, I was in the top 50% instead. Would the scholarship be stripped entirely or would it be reduced?

Yeah I believe it's stripped entirely. Tulane reduces but I think that's the exception.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

Yeah a 2 bdr is much more attractive. How much for a single? Any idea?

$820 at The Venue for their middle option (1bdr/1 living). They have a smaller (dorm size) and larger (studio) for less and more respectively. I signed a lease for the middle one in November. The singles are few and far between and in high demand. So I signed it knowing I could sub-lease if I needed to do something else.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll try and scope the area out when I go to admitted students day in April.

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 am

I've been accepted but the form says that I am a non-LA resident. I attend LSU Shreveport and have lived in LA for over three years. My transcript from LSUS even says that I'm a LA resident. Hearing everyone's stories about residency issues is pretty troubling.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 am

Go by the school and raise hell. LSU has some weird residency requirements. I hope I can get in state tuition after the first year but if I can't this still won't necessarily kill LSU for me. Paying 21K a year for law school ain't bad. LSU owns much of the state and I think I could get along in that state rather easily.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 am

byron2008 wrote:I've been accepted but the form says that I am a non-LA resident. I attend LSU Shreveport and have lived in LA for over three years. My transcript from LSUS even says that I'm a LA resident. Hearing everyone's stories about residency issues is pretty troubling.

Do you satisfy this requirement?

"(1) that the student has not
been claimed as an exemption for state or federal income tax purposes by his/her non-resident parents"

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Macatak, I do satisfy that requirement. I hope that will help my case, but frankly I think it's ridiculous that I should even have to try to fight this. What is up with LA's residency requirements? My own undergraduate school, which is part of the LSU system, considers me in-state and LSU Law doesn't, it's crazy.

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Macktack, I just spoke to admissions and they told me that I am still not considered a resident, even though LSUS considers me one. They are sending me a residency appeal form. I highly doubt I will attend if I can't get in-state tuition, I really wish I had known about this before I applied.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:28 pm

byron2008 wrote:Macktack, I just spoke to admissions and they told me that I am still not considered a resident, even though LSUS considers me one. They are sending me a residency appeal form. I highly doubt I will attend if I can't get in-state tuition, I really wish I had known about this before I applied.

damn that sucks. What was their reason?

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:12 pm

byron2008 wrote:Macktack, I just spoke to admissions and they told me that I am still not considered a resident, even though LSUS considers me one. They are sending me a residency appeal form. I highly doubt I will attend if I can't get in-state tuition, I really wish I had known about this before I applied.

Wow. So let me get this straight...LSU-Shreveport considers you a resident but LSU Law doesn't. What? Sorry to hear that man...

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 pm

They said there are different residency requirements for undergraduate and graduate schools, which reeks of bullshit to me. I was informed that since I did not live in LA for a full year before I started school here that I am not a resident. I'm going to try to find a loophole, anybody have any suggestions?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

byron2008 wrote:They said there are different residency requirements for undergraduate and graduate schools, which reeks of bullshit to me. I was informed that since I did not live in LA for a full year before I started school here that I am not a resident. I'm going to try to find a loophole, anybody have any suggestions?

Found this PDF....doesn't look good..

--LinkRemoved--

DEFINITION OF A RESIDENT STUDENT
A resident student for tuition purposes is defined as one who has abandoned all prior domiciles and has
been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately
preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. A non-resident
student for tuition purposes is one who is not eligible for classification as a resident student under these
regulations.
The individual’s physical presence within this state for one year must be associated with substantial
evidence that such presence was with the intent to maintain a Louisiana domicile. Physical presence
within the state solely for educational purposes without substantial evidence of the intent to remain in
Louisiana will not be sufficient for resident classification regardless of the length of time within the state.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 pm

continuing....

"CLASSIFICATION PROCEDURES
The resident status of an applicant or student is determined by the Admissions Office1 on each campus in
accordance with these regulations and is based upon evidence provided in the application for admission
and related documents."

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks, it really doesn't look good. Thankfully LSU wasn't my top choice.

captainmichael

Postby captainmichael » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:51 am

Cestjustemoi wrote:
movieguru873 wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:Anyone contemplating living on campus?

yeah I'd definitely prefer to live on campus. I'm going to visit this weekend, so I might even start looking at housing

I heard ECA are nice but I wonder how the availibility is?

ECA is nice but way overpriced. Your best bet is to look off campus. LSU Residential Life will bleed you dry.

moe

Postby moe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Does anyone know if LSU is open to scholarship negotiation?

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 am

Received my rejection letter today. It was a reach considering my LSAT score. Congrats to all that made it in.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:20 am

Finally received some scholarship info. Full tuition but I have to stay in the top 25%. So now it comes down to smu at 85% and lsu at full tuition. Going to be a hard choice. Good luck to everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”