LSU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
macatak911

Bronze

Re: LSU 2010

Post by macatak911 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:31 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
JJWAL wrote:Mailing in my seat deposit tomorrow morning. Does anyone know the address we are supposed to mail it to?
I assumed it was the address at the very bottom of the deposit form. LSU Law Center Room 202
That's where I sent. They got.

JJWAL

New

Post by JJWAL » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Last edited by JJWAL on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cemoore4

New

Post by Cemoore4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Wow, does that say 66% bar passage rate? Not too good in my book.

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Cemoore4 wrote:Wow, does that say 66% bar passage rate? Not too good in my book.
Thats the jurisdiction rate.

The average of all the law schools in LA

tulane, lsu, loyola, southern

southern has like a 40 LA passage rate...brings it down

csnowden1985

New

Post by csnowden1985 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey ya'll I have not been following this forum until today, and am excited to see so many people that are excited as I am. I was not able to attend either the Cocktail Party or ASD, but will be visiting friday. Considering dawning my Seersucker, too much? I along with alot of you got invited to the scholarship and am trying to decided if I want to take the two days off from work to attend, I live in Birmingham, Alabama and have a full time job. My over excited mother has told me I HAVE to attend, I really want to but I don't know if its worth taking off work. Especially when I will have to several other times during the summer to figure out housing situations. Thoughts? Okay, well I am sure I will be on here alot more.

P.S. - oh and JessicaTiger best burn I have seen or heard in a while

P.P.S. - if anybody is on the FB group I'm Cameron Snowden from UAB network

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cemoore4

New

Post by Cemoore4 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:09 am

macatak911 wrote:
Cemoore4 wrote:Wow, does that say 66% bar passage rate? Not too good in my book.
Thats the jurisdiction rate.

The average of all the law schools in LA

tulane, lsu, loyola, southern

southern has like a 40 LA passage rate...brings it down
Ah, I was reading too fast. I see now.

mdickson

New

Post by mdickson » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Just joined the FB group. I'm Mitch Dickson.

LA Beserker

New

Post by LA Beserker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 pm

I was hoping the rankings would jump up again. Oh well, maybe our class will produce a higher ranking
Last edited by LA Beserker on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 pm

LA Beserker wrote:I was hoping the rankings would jump up again. Oh well, maybe our class will produce a higher ranking.
PS- Joined facebook group will be attending scholarship dinner, Josh Dierker.
I'm not real familiar with how USNWR calculates their rankings, but I remember speaking with somebody during the ASD about how LSU Law recently changed their GPA curve because it reflected negatively skewed numbers as compared to peer schools. Wouldn't this have a positive effect on next years rankings?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:54 pm

rcharles wrote:
LA Beserker wrote:I was hoping the rankings would jump up again. Oh well, maybe our class will produce a higher ranking.
PS- Joined facebook group will be attending scholarship dinner, Josh Dierker.
I'm not real familiar with how USNWR calculates their rankings, but I remember speaking with somebody during the ASD about how LSU Law recently changed their GPA curve because it reflected negatively skewed numbers as compared to peer schools. Wouldn't this have a positive effect on next years rankings?

It is true that LSU is changing their GPA distribution to be easier, as it was extremely difficult before. However, I'm fairly sure that student grades are not part of USNWR's calculations. If they were part of the calculation, then schools would just bump their mean GPA from, say... 3.0 to 3.2. Then they could sit back and watch as they climb in the rankings.

Other than the obvious methods of increasing its ranking (LSAT score and LSAC GPA), I would imagine that LSU best shot at a significant climb in the rankings is an expansion of their clinical programs. I asked about them in the webchat and although I received a thorough answer about the four options for clinics, LSU's clinical program is very weak compared to peer schools. This is apparently due to budget cuts. Not something that would dissuade me from attending, as I am planning on being in Baton Rouge this August. Regardless, I suggest that it is a very large part of the reason LSU Law is ranked so low compared to peer SEC schools.

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:08 pm

http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

1. Academic reputation (25% of the overall score). Not Manipulable. 25% of the overall score is a function of academic reputation, as measured by a survey done mid-fall of some 700 law school deans and faculty (about two-thirds fill out the surveys).

2. 15% of the overall score is based on reputation among lawyers and judges. Not Manipulable. These results reflect a survey of lawyers at large firms and federal and state judges. The response rate is low: less than one-third complete the surveys. Because U.S. News only surveys large firms, the survey is also dramatically skewed towards the Northeast (especially New York City): schools that have large alumni contingents in New York City perform, shall we say, suspiciously well in this survey by comparison to schools that are otherwise comparable. Schools have little control over the results of this survey.

3. 12.5% of the overall score is based on the median LSAT score. Highly Manipulable.

4. 12% of the overall score is the employment rate 9 months after graduation. Highly Manipulable. This data is entirely self-reported by schools, and should be treated as essentially fiction:

5. 10% of the overall score is based on the median GPA of the entering class. Highly Manipulable.

6. 9.75% of the overall score is average per capita expenditures for this year and the prior year for instruction, library, and supporting services. Highly Manipulable.

The preceding are the six major factors making up a school's overall score in US News. Together they account for 84.25% of the overall score. Four of these factors are highly manipulable, and three favor small schools. The remaining six factors in U.S. News (that account for just 15.75% of the overall score) are as follows:

7. 6% of the overall score is the employment rate at graduation. Highly Manipulable. See the discussion in (4), above.

8. 3% of the overall score is the student-teacher ratio.

9. 2.5% of the overall score is the acceptance rate for students. Highly Manipulable.

10. 2% of the overall score is the bar pass rate adjusted to reflect the avg. pass rate in the major jurisdiction where students take the exam. Not Manipulable.

11. 1.5% of the overall score is average per capita expenditures for the current and prior year on everything else OTHER than instruction, library & supporting services--so this includes utilities, financial aid, and the like. Highly Manipulable.

12. 0.75% of the overall score is the total number of volumes in the library. Not Manipulable.

Even putting aside the fact that this formula, with its various weightings, is impossible to rationalize in any principled way, the really striking fact about the U.S. News methodology is surely the following:

More than half the criteria-over 54%--that go in to the final score can be manipulated by the schools themselves, either through outright (and undetectable) deceit, or other devices (giving fee waivers to hopeless applicants, employing graduates in temp jobs to boost employment stats, etc.).

More than one-third of the criteria that go in to the final score favor small schools and penalize large schools.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 pm

macatak911 wrote:http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

1. Academic reputation (25% of the overall score). Not Manipulable. 25% of the overall score is a function of academic reputation, as measured by a survey done mid-fall of some 700 law school deans and faculty (about two-thirds fill out the surveys).

2. 15% of the overall score is based on reputation among lawyers and judges. Not Manipulable. These results reflect a survey of lawyers at large firms and federal and state judges. The response rate is low: less than one-third complete the surveys. Because U.S. News only surveys large firms, the survey is also dramatically skewed towards the Northeast (especially New York City): schools that have large alumni contingents in New York City perform, shall we say, suspiciously well in this survey by comparison to schools that are otherwise comparable. Schools have little control over the results of this survey.

3. 12.5% of the overall score is based on the median LSAT score. Highly Manipulable.

4. 12% of the overall score is the employment rate 9 months after graduation. Highly Manipulable. This data is entirely self-reported by schools, and should be treated as essentially fiction:

5. 10% of the overall score is based on the median GPA of the entering class. Highly Manipulable.

6. 9.75% of the overall score is average per capita expenditures for this year and the prior year for instruction, library, and supporting services. Highly Manipulable.

The preceding are the six major factors making up a school's overall score in US News. Together they account for 84.25% of the overall score. Four of these factors are highly manipulable, and three favor small schools. The remaining six factors in U.S. News (that account for just 15.75% of the overall score) are as follows:

7. 6% of the overall score is the employment rate at graduation. Highly Manipulable. See the discussion in (4), above.

8. 3% of the overall score is the student-teacher ratio.

9. 2.5% of the overall score is the acceptance rate for students. Highly Manipulable.

10. 2% of the overall score is the bar pass rate adjusted to reflect the avg. pass rate in the major jurisdiction where students take the exam. Not Manipulable.

11. 1.5% of the overall score is average per capita expenditures for the current and prior year on everything else OTHER than instruction, library & supporting services--so this includes utilities, financial aid, and the like. Highly Manipulable.

12. 0.75% of the overall score is the total number of volumes in the library. Not Manipulable.

Even putting aside the fact that this formula, with its various weightings, is impossible to rationalize in any principled way, the really striking fact about the U.S. News methodology is surely the following:

More than half the criteria-over 54%--that go in to the final score can be manipulated by the schools themselves, either through outright (and undetectable) deceit, or other devices (giving fee waivers to hopeless applicants, employing graduates in temp jobs to boost employment stats, etc.).

More than one-third of the criteria that go in to the final score favor small schools and penalize large schools.
Yes, but what is the definition for "manipulable"? In many cases there is no deceit involved. A school can manipulate it's median LSAT by simply favoring higher LSAT scorers. Still, there seems to be a lot of b.s. associated with the rankings...

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:43 am

JessicaTiger wrote:
darknightbegins wrote: Is this cocktail party with the Chancellor worth attending? I got an Email for it and I'm wondering if it is just a big dick sucking party for the law students to kiss the Chancellors ass. However, the chance to socialize (read:fuck) some female law school students is tempting.

I'm staying at the Hilton near LSU campus. I'm hoping to be able to talk a woman or 5 back to my room. If that doesn't work I'll likely end up taking the shuttle around and hitting up some bars/clubs. Do you have any suggestions?

Reception was alright. Seemed pretty laid back. Think I'll be going after this cute little red head girl tomorrow on the tour. Got to finish reading up the case homework they sent me.

The student day was pretty good I thought. Beautiful campus, honest student body and instructors I talked to. The other admitted students were generally friendly and interested in the school. Saw ALOT of students with their parents, especially girls. Tried spitting some game at this cute red headed girl, no success! Did get her email, will try to email her in a few days. She seemed cool, certainly a type A personality. If we both end up at LSU I will see about hooking up with her.

Hi, Dark Night. It may come as quite a shock to you, but the internet, especially when you give such telling descriptions, is not totally anonymous. This note is to formally inform you that as of now, your chances with me are in the negative numbers, though they were relatively dismal to begin with. I wish you luck in your future endevours, but if you are looking for a higher success rate among LSU's female law students, I suggest you keep your intentions off of a thread that is dedicated to future/current law students at LSU.

Regards,

"cute red headed girl"
AKA
JessicaTiger

PS- Please subtract me from the 1-5 women you were considering bringing to your room. Thank you.
Haha ah well. Good luck with LSU or whichever law school you choose! Watch out for the guys like me! But come one, I wasn't that bad was I? I said you were a cute red headed girl and a type A personality, not exactly an insult.
Last edited by darknightbegins on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 am

macatak911 wrote:
kilgore_trout wrote:I'm just a casual TLS-er and usually just come to see if any of the newest posts catch my eye, then I move along.

Now, that being said, I have been religiously checking this thread about every 20 minutes today to see if darknightbegins responds to JessicaTiger.

BTW, Jessica, I did find a thread where DNB discusses shaving his butt - so, you might want to re-think your rejection. I mean, if that doesn't spell winner, I don't know what does.
Yeah, if you look at his profile...he hasn't logged on since she posted the burn of all burns. If he actually responds this could get funny. $5 says he doesn't respond though.
I want my 5 dollars! I've been in Gulf Shores for the past few days enjoying the sun and the beach!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:46 am

Nightrunner wrote:Dear JessicaTiger,

If you made BatmanBegins stay away forever, you will officially be one of my favorite people on the internet.
That is DarkKNIGHTBegins! And it will take more than one rejection to shame me away.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Ok. On my PAWS website under the financial aid link it says that I have received no awards for the 2010-2011 school year. I still have not been accepted, but does this mean that I have received no scholarship money? Or should I expect this to change if I'm finally accepted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:26 pm

nick637 wrote:Ok. On my PAWS website under the financial aid link it says that I have received no awards for the 2010-2011 school year. I still have not been accepted, but does this mean that I have received no scholarship money? Or should I expect this to change if I'm finally accepted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I got a scholarship and mine says the same

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 pm

First deposit sent and membership of the uber-elite Facebook group verified.

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Deposit sent here too, and member of the facebook group. Daniel Thomas

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Real classy LSU, I receive my scholarship letter on the day the deposit is due and it is only half of what Daphne told me I received when I visited in March.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm about to lose my seat at the law school of my UG... Bye LSU :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Bulls wrote:Real classy LSU, I receive my scholarship letter on the day the deposit is due and it is only half of what Daphne told me I received when I visited in March.
Did you call? Maybe there was an error or something?

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Bulls wrote:Real classy LSU, I receive my scholarship letter on the day the deposit is due and it is only half of what Daphne told me I received when I visited in March.
Is it commonplace for an adcomm to tell you in person what your scholly award is? Seems like most schools keep that stuff restricted to the mail.

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I'm about to lose my seat at the law school of my UG... Bye LSU :oops:
TIGER BAIT!!!!

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:40 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
Is it commonplace for an adcomm to tell you in person what your scholly award is? Seems like most schools keep that stuff restricted to the mail.
I was surprised she told me, apparently the scholarship committee had met the same day I visited. I have to say I was pretty turned off by the committee waiting so late to send out the decision letters. No worries though, I decided LSU wasn't for me after my visit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”