UNLV 2010 waiting room.....

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TaliaT

Re: UNLV 2010 waiting room.....

Postby TaliaT » Thu May 13, 2010 3:04 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
TaliaT wrote:Just a small update....I emailed Nathan Neely in regard to the Summer Reading List. I believe there is one provided to the admitted students. I asked that those that have been waitlisted have access to this list as well in the event that we are admitted later rather than sooner. He stated "We will certainly take that under advisement!" Hopefully we can obtain this list as well as like others, I would like to be on the same page as those being admitted. (Im trying to stay positive about being admitted eventually) :mrgreen:

Of course then again maybe someone that is admitted would be nice enough to share it with us instead of us going through all the hoopla.

I've been admitted since January and haven't gotten any information yet. I spoke to Nathan last week (or emailed him) and he said there would be some info forthcoming.

He also mentioned that the application stack is shrinking quickly, so stay tuned. I have a (completely inferred and unofficial) feeling that decisions should be on their way soon for those wait-listed.

I intend on submitting an additional LOCI as well as an additional Letter of Recommendation from a Sr. Deputy Attorney General. Anything can help at this point. But thank you for the update. Nathan is a great guy and very informative thus far.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Thu May 13, 2010 10:50 am

Starting to pull off the waitlist.

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:35 pm

He also mentioned that the application stack is shrinking quickly, so stay tuned. I have a (completely inferred and unofficial) feeling that decisions should be on their way soon for those wait-listed.[/quote][/quote]

Could you explain what you mean by this?

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 pm

I don't think it's possible to clarify that statement any further. What do you not understand about it?

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:43 pm

For starters, I am not completely up to speed on UNLV admission's policies. Does the application stack refer to applications that have been wait listed? Or perhaps apps that are still being reviewed? Or applications no longer valid due to pulling out? Please clarify. Thanks!

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 am

SEATTLEITE188 wrote:For starters, I am not completely up to speed on UNLV admission's policies. Does the application stack refer to applications that have been wait listed? Or perhaps apps that are still being reviewed? Or applications no longer valid due to pulling out? Please clarify. Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure, he didn't specify on the voicemail.

If I had to guess, I'd say it just means that the stack for new admissions is almost done being reviewed, and that they're either beginning to pull from, or review again, the waitlisted apps. But that's just a guess, I don't know for sure.

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Fri May 14, 2010 6:34 am

From what i can tell from Law School Numbers and other sources...they have indeed started to review the waitlisted applications. BUT thats entirely speculation and not confirmed. Encouraging nonetheless.

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:11 pm

I talked to Elizabeth and certain people have already been accepted from the waitlist. She was very informative and super nice!

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Thu May 20, 2010 1:30 am

Anyone that was accepted - Did you receive the summer reading list yet? I'm interested to see what is on it.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 am

TaliaT wrote:Anyone that was accepted - Did you receive the summer reading list yet? I'm interested to see what is on it.

Still nothing here, I'm afraid. I didn't even know there'd be a summer reading list :p

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Thu May 20, 2010 5:01 pm

ha. Yeah, if there is a summer reading list, I haven't heard about it either.

I posted this in the other thread, but might as well here to for anyone who cares: I got an email a few days ago that said accepted students will be receiving MyUNLV login info in a series of 3 emails over the next few weeks. It will contain our financial info for now, more stuff to be added later.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 20, 2010 5:11 pm

PhantaManta wrote:ha. Yeah, if there is a summer reading list, I haven't heard about it either.

I posted this in the other thread, but might as well here to for anyone who cares: I got an email a few days ago that said accepted students will be receiving MyUNLV login info in a series of 3 emails over the next few weeks. It will contain our financial info for now, more stuff to be added later.

If anyone really can't wait, you may be able to call UNLV's tech support line (702-895-0777) and get your login for MyUNLV. I was able to, but I have a current student number.

On the other hand, you're really not missing much. So far my financial aid info is (sorta) in there (but nothing about my scholly). It does confirm I'm admitted. There is, however, no schedule, no dates, and no other helpful info of any sort.

UNLV seems to be getting the job done, just not as quickly as everyone would like. Of course, we're still 3 months out, so I don't think they're behind just yet ;)

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Thu May 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:ha. Yeah, if there is a summer reading list, I haven't heard about it either.

If anyone really can't wait, you may be able to call UNLV's tech support line (702-895-0777) and get your login for MyUNLV. I was able to, but I have a current student number.

On the other hand, you're really not missing much. So far my financial aid info is (sorta) in there (but nothing about my scholly). It does confirm I'm admitted. There is, however, no schedule, no dates, and no other helpful info of any sort.

UNLV seems to be getting the job done, just not as quickly as everyone would like. Of course, we're still 3 months out, so I don't think they're behind just yet ;)

MyUNLV seemed to be a burden initially but its coming together nicely. A lot easier than looking ten different places for information.

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering if you know when 1 Ls need to be on campus for this fall. Do we start the first day the upperclassmen start, or do we attend an orientation? Also, I am getting conflicting info on the actual first day of classes....at least for upperclassmen....is it indeed the 19th? Thanks!

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Mon May 24, 2010 9:35 pm

I called admissions. They said first day or orientation is the 16th and first day of classes start the 19th.

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:38 am

Anybody get accepted from the waitlist? I am crossing my fingers!

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Thu May 27, 2010 10:33 pm

SEATTLEITE188 wrote:Anybody get accepted from the waitlist? I am crossing my fingers!

What are your stats?

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:23 pm

I withdrew today (full time slot)! Good luck to those on the waitlist!

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Fri May 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Thank you for withdrawing, I want that seat!!!

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:56 pm

I want the seat too!

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat May 29, 2010 6:06 am

I withdrew. Hard choice, but I picked where I thought I'd be happiest over what'd be cheapest.

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Sun May 30, 2010 4:24 pm

usuaggie wrote:I withdrew. Hard choice, but I picked where I thought I'd be happiest over what'd be cheapest.

Thank you for withdrawing and good luck to you!

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I am so stressed out waiting...i want to rip my hair out...i hate the unknown.

lmarie81

Postby lmarie81 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Agreed. I'm hoping for some movement soon.. any news seems better than none. Obsessively looking at law school numbers isn't helping my sanity level either. :wink:

Casper_n

Postby Casper_n » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:22 am

The reading list is out.

Dean Durand (our advisor) sent an email this morning. Here is the portion which relates to the reading list:

What can I do over the summer before I start law school to prepare myself for that much talked about first year? My answer: relax, enjoy yourself, spend time with family and friends, get your non-academic affairs (finances, living arrangements, personal relationships, i.e., all the things you don?t want to distract you once classes start) in order, and harness your energy for what will be a very challenging and demanding year of study. But in case you simply can?t help yourself from doing more than I?ve recommended, I have attached a list of suggested readings (and DVDs) which should offer you a flavor of the law and legal study. Let me emphasize that we suggest these materials purely for your personal edification and/or fun; if you read (or view) nothing from this list over the summer, be assured that there will be no lasting damage done to your legal career.

The list follows:
William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas
Summer Reading / Viewing Suggestions

“We lawyers are always curious, always inquisitive, always picking up odds and ends for our patchwork minds, since there is no knowing when and where they may fit into some corner.”

– Charles Dickens, Little Dorritt (1857)

“I see disaster. I see catastrophe. Worse, I see lawyers!” – Mighty Aphrodite (1995)

Fiction

China Achebe, Things Fall Apart

Russell Banks, The Sweet Hereafter

Jeremy Blachman, Anonymous Lawyer

Stephen L. Carter, The Emperor of Ocean Park; New England White

Truman Capote, In Cold Blood

David Feige, Indefensible

Susan Glaspell, A Jury of Her Peers

John Grisham, The Chamber; The Pelican Brief; Runaway Jury; The King of Torts; The Street Lawyer; The Appeal

Robert Harris, Imperium

Steve Martini, The Judge; Undue Influence

John Mortimer, Rumpole on Trial

John Nichols, The Milagro Beanfield War

John Jay Osborn, The Associates

Kermit Roosevelt, In the Shadow of the Law

Jeb Rubenfeld, The Interpretation of Murder

Scott Turow, Burden of Proof; Presumed Innocent

Tom Wolfe, Bonfire of the Vanities

Classics

Charles Dickens, Bleak House

Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment

Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

Franz Kafka, The Trial
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Herman Melville, Bartleby the Scrivener

William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice; Measure for Measure

Robert Penn Warren, All the King’s Men

Richard Wright, Native Son

Non-fiction

Catherine Allgor, A Perfect Union: Dolley Madison and the Creation of the American Nation

Akhil Amar, America’s Constitution: A Biography

F. Lee Bailey, The Defense Never Rests

Carl T. Bogus, Why Lawsuits are Good for America

Stephen L. Carter, Reflections of an Affirmative Action Baby

Brandt Goldstein, Storming the Court: How a Band of Yale Students Sued the President – and Won

Thomas C. Grey, The Wallace Stevens Case: Law and the Practice of Poetry

Lani Guinier, Becoming Gentlemen: Women, Law School and Institutional Change

Lani Guinier and Gerald Torres, The Miner’s Canary: Enlisting Race, Resisting Power, Transforming Democracy

Jonathan Harr, A Civil Action

Peter Irons, The Courage of Their Convictions: Sixteen Americans Who Fought Their Way to the Supreme Court

Barbara Kingsolver, Holding the Line: Women in the Great Arizona Mine Strike of 1983

Richard Kluger, Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America’s Struggle for Equality

Edward Lazarus, Closed Chambers: The Rise, Fall, and Future of the Modern Supreme Court

Max Lemer, Nine Scorpions in a Bottle: Great Judges and Cases of the Supreme Court

Anthony Lewis, Gideon’s Trumpet

Edwin Newman, Plain Speaking and A Civil Tongue

Todd C. Peppers, Courtiers of the Marble Palace: The Rise and Influence of the Supreme Court Law Clerk

H. W. Perry, Deciding to Decide: Agenda Setting in the United States Supreme Court

David J. Rothman, et al, The Willowbrook Wars

William Safire, Fumblerules

John Clay Smith, Emancipation: The Making of the Black Lawyer. 1844-1944

Gerald Stern, The Buffalo Creek Disaster: How the Survivors of One of the Worst Disasters in Coal-Mining History Brought Suit Against the Coal Company—and Won

Jeffrey Toobin, The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court

Lynne Truss, Eats, Shoots &Leaves
Sarah Weddington, A Question of Choice

Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong, The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court

Biographies and Autobiographies

Melvin M. Belli, My Life on Trial: An Autobiography

Bobby Burns and Jane M. Shelter-Friedman, America’s First Woman Lawyer: The Biography of Myra Bradwell

Ed Cray, Chief Justice: A Biography of Earl Warren

Michael Davis and Hunter Clark, Thurgood Marshall: Warrior at the Bar, Rebel on the Bench

Sue Davis, Justice Rehnquist and the Constitution

William O. Douglas, The Court Years. 1939-1975: The Autobiography of William O. Douglas

Linda Greenhouse, Becoming Justice Blackmun

Gerald Gunther, Learned Hand

Laura Kalman, Abe Fortas: A Biography

Richard D. Kahlenberg, Broken Contract: A Memoir of Harvard Law School

David McCullough, Truman

Barak Obama, Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

Sandra Day O’Connor, Lazy B; The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice

Richard Posner, Cardozo: A Study in Reputation

Jean Edward Smith, John Marshall: Definer of a Nation

Irving Stone, Darrow for the Defense

Philippa Strum, Louis D. Brandeis: Justice for the People

Contemporary Legal Thought

Bruce Ackerman, Before the Next Attack: Preserving Civil Liberties in an Age of Terrorism Philip Philip Bobbitt, The Shield of Achilles: War, Peace, and the Course of History; Terror and Consent: The Wars for the Twenty-First Century

Archibald Cox, The Role of the Supreme Court in American Government

Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy, In Our Defense

Ronald Dworkin, Freedom's Law: The Moral Reading of the American Constitution; Law’s Empire

Peter W. Huber, Liability: The Legal Revolution and its Consequences

Harold Koh, The National Security Constitution: Sharing Power after the Iran-Contra Affair

Richard Posner, Sex and Reason, and Law and Literature: A Misunderstood Relation

Ann Scales, Legal Feminism: Activism, Lawyering and Legal Theory

Cass Sunstein, A Constitution of Many Minds: Why the Founding Document Doesn’t Mean What it Meant Before; Infotopia: How Many Minds Produce Knowledge; Why Societies Need Dissent

Laurence H. Tribe and Michael Dorf, On Reading the Constitution

Mark Tushnet, Red, White and Blue: A Critical Analysis of Constitutional Law

Cass Sunstein, A Constitution of Many Minds: Why the Founding Document Doesn’t Mean What it Meant Before; Infotopia: How Many Minds Produce Knowledge; Why Societies Need Dissent

Succeeding in Law School

Letter to a Young Law Student - http://www.slate.com/id/2069512/

Ann M. Burkhart and Robert A. Stein. How to Study the Law and Take Law School Exams

Jeff Deaver, The Law School Companion

Kenney F. Hegland, Introduction to the Study and Practice of Law in a Nutshell

Ann Ijima, The Law Student’s Pocket Mentor: From Surviving to Thriving

Edward Levi, Introduction to Legal Reasoning

Karl Llewellyn, The Bramble Bush

Nancy Rapoport and Jeff Van Neil, Law School Survival Manual: From LSAT to Bar Exam

Michael Hunter Schwartz, Expert Learning for Law Students

Helene Shapo and Marshall Shapo, Law School Without Fear: Strategies for Success

Charlotte Taylor, Bridging the Gap to Law School

Dennis Tonsing, 1000 Days to the Bar

Scott Turow, One-L

Charles Whitebread, Eight Secrets of Exam Success

Richard C. Wydick, Plain English for Lawyers

Film

A Time to Kill

Anatomy of a Murder

Amistad

The Caine Mutiny

Capote

The Chamber