UNLV 2010 waiting room.....

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yo!

Re: UNLV 2010 waiting room.....

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 am

ddav87 wrote:Ok so I'm going nuts as UNLV is my first choice and the only school that hasn't gotten back to me. (160 3.1) I've gotten into similar ranked schools, however I'm out of state and i know that makes it much harder. LSN seems to show that most people didn't have to wait this long. ( I applied in October) Why are this year's acceptances coming so slow? is it just the economy or does anyone have some added insight from talking to admissions? If you can answer any of these questions it would be awesome. :)

OOS definitely makes it harder, but I think you can get in if you hang in there for a little longer! You are sort of a splitter for UNLV, ( under 25th GPA, 75th LSAT) so maybe that's why they are taking their time with you application. Best of luck to you!

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:58 am

Well, unless something unexpected happens in the next week, I will be express mailing my deposit on March 31st, lol. I'm a procrastinator. I'm just holding out for a few schools (you all know I applied to everywhere under the sun). So far UNLV is definitely the best deal when I consider money, immigration law offerings, and rank. So far I've got 26 acceptances, 1 WL, and I'm still waiting on 8 to make decisions, but I'm pretty sure that UNLV will be the best deal... if only my fiancee didn't hate UNLV, I'd already be $500 poorer.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

ddav87 wrote:Ok so I'm going nuts as UNLV is my first choice and the only school that hasn't gotten back to me. (160 3.1) I've gotten into similar ranked schools, however I'm out of state and i know that makes it much harder. LSN seems to show that most people didn't have to wait this long. ( I applied in October) Why are this year's acceptances coming so slow? is it just the economy or does anyone have some added insight from talking to admissions? If you can answer any of these questions it would be awesome. :)

When did you apply? You're not quite directly 'on the button' as it were (your numbers are pretty good for UNLV) but there is probably some amount of consideration happening. Add to that the increased applications this cycle (Director Neely has confirmed that UNLV is swamped along with everyone else, though probably not seeing a Cornell like hike) and waiting a little longer is probably to be expected. You're right that, because so many seats are held for NV residents, that it is tougher for out of state students to get in but I suspect that, all things being equal, your LSAT score will win the day.

If you applied after the first of the year, I wouldn't worry too much. If you applied in December, a nice LOCI might be a good idea.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:01 am

roguey wrote:Well, unless something unexpected happens in the next week, I will be express mailing my deposit on March 31st, lol. I'm a procrastinator. I'm just holding out for a few schools (you all know I applied to everywhere under the sun). So far UNLV is definitely the best deal when I consider money, immigration law offerings, and rank. So far I've got 26 acceptances, 1 WL, and I'm still waiting on 8 to make decisions, but I'm pretty sure that UNLV will be the best deal... if only my fiancee didn't hate UNLV, I'd already be $500 poorer.

Yay rougey!

Remind your husband that there are plenty of things in Las Vegas to soothe his hurt feelings. Most of them won't even get him in trouble with you ;)

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:03 am

yo! wrote:Damn VR, you are a life saver! BTW, After seeing pics of you, I am pretty sure that I was sitting right next to you at the ASD presentation....

Haha, I suck :p

BTW - there's a killer cheese steak place not far from UNLV that I just discovered today. OMG delicious. And cheap.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 am

Damn! 26 acceptances? wow! I'm still not completely sure about the Arizona vs UNLV decision. To complicate things further, McGeorge just called and offered to bump my scholarship to full-tuition if I would reconsider my withdrawl. UNLV is probably still the front-runner through. If Davis and Utah come through soon, I won't know what the hell to do with myself :P

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 am

yo! wrote:Damn! 26 acceptances? wow! I'm still not completely sure about the Arizona vs UNLV decision. To complicate things further, McGeorge just called and offered to bump my scholarship to full-tuition if I would reconsider my withdrawl. UNLV is probably still the front-runner through. If Davis and Utah come through soon, I won't know what the hell to do with myself :P

Yeah, it's kinda freaking me out, lol. I applied mostly to schools that had an immigration clinic, seemed to be within my range, and gave out tons of $$... so far it seems like I was completely on target with them, lol. If only I had applied 2 days earlier to UIUC, I would have 27 acceptances and no waitlists :( lol.

ddav87

Postby ddav87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks Vegas_Rebel i was unsure if an LOCI was ok if i hadn't been waitlisted or anything but i did apply in october and I want to make my decision asap so i will send one over the weekend. Thanks for everyone's input.

wxw30

Postby wxw30 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey guys, just got admitted 2 days ago, prety damn excited. Anyhow, anyone know any current student or recent grads who I can talk to regarding the employment prospect of UNLV grads within the last couple of years? Also, does anyone know the full tuition for out-staters? I got about 17k, it that bascially like half the tuition? Thanks fellas.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

wxw30 wrote:Hey guys, just got admitted 2 days ago, prety damn excited. Anyhow, anyone know any current student or recent grads who I can talk to regarding the employment prospect of UNLV grads within the last couple of years? Also, does anyone know the full tuition for out-staters? I got about 17k, it that bascially like half the tuition? Thanks fellas.

Non-resident is about $33.5k, plus assorted fees an whatnot. I'd estimate about $35k, plus living expenses, per year as an out of state student.

You may well be able to gain residency within the first year, though it depends on circumstances of course.

I'd come for an ASD if it's feasible to talk about employment prospects. The gist at the last ASD seemed to be that employment is around and possible, but hurting like everyone else. Most of the students I talked to had employment lined up, though the cynic in me suggests that that would, of course, be the case. Why bring students to your ASD that don't have good things to say?

wxw30

Postby wxw30 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
wxw30 wrote:Hey guys, just got admitted 2 days ago, prety damn excited. Anyhow, anyone know any current student or recent grads who I can talk to regarding the employment prospect of UNLV grads within the last couple of years? Also, does anyone know the full tuition for out-staters? I got about 17k, it that bascially like half the tuition? Thanks fellas.

Non-resident is about $33.5k, plus assorted fees an whatnot. I'd estimate about $35k, plus living expenses, per year as an out of state student.

You may well be able to gain residency within the first year, though it depends on circumstances of course.

I'd come for an ASD if it's feasible to talk about employment prospects. The gist at the last ASD seemed to be that employment is around and possible, but hurting like everyone else. Most of the students I talked to had employment lined up, though the cynic in me suggests that that would, of course, be the case. Why bring students to your ASD that don't have good things to say?

Thanks a lot Rebel for the info.
Since I am an out-stater, I was little confused about the following sentence in my admit letter
"This scholarship will be renewable for the 2011-2012 academic year in the amount of one half resident tuition should you stand in the upper 33% of you class"
So does UNLV assume that an out-stater 1L can easily, if not automatically, receive in-state tuition for 2L?

Also, on a diff topic, before you submit a seat deposit, you are suppose to do a preliminary response via the admisson email. However, I never got one, so just wondering if everyone else did receive an admission email.
Thanks a lot!

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm

wxw30 wrote:Thanks a lot Rebel for the info.
Since I am an out-stater, I was little confused about the following sentence in my admit letter
"This scholarship will be renewable for the 2011-2012 academic year in the amount of one half resident tuition should you stand in the upper 33% of you class"
So does UNLV assume that an out-stater 1L can easily, if not automatically, receive in-state tuition for 2L?

Also, on a diff topic, before you submit a seat deposit, you are suppose to do a preliminary response via the admisson email. However, I never got one, so just wondering if everyone else did receive an admission email.
Thanks a lot!

I'd imagine that UNLV assumes that you can easily make resident tuition within the first year, yes. The resident restrictions are fairly lax, and so it could be that getting an apartment, driver's license, bills, etc and holding them for a year automatically grant residency.

(In fact, that's exactly the case. Here are the requirements: --LinkRemoved--)

As a resident you'd be looking at around $20k/22k per year, plus living expenses before scholarship.

I did get an email, but I only sent a response a few days before submitting my seat deposit. You can email Director Neely or Elizabeth Karl here (nathan.neely@unlv.edu) or here (elizabeth.karl@unlv.edu).

wxw30

Postby wxw30 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:

Thanks a lot!

I'd imagine that UNLV assumes that you can easily make resident tuition within the first year, yes. The resident restrictions are fairly lax, and so it could be that getting an apartment, driver's license, bills, etc and holding them for a year automatically grant residency.

As a resident you'd be looking at around $20k/22k per year, plus living expenses before scholarship.

I did get an email, but I only sent a response a few days before submitting my seat deposit. You can email Director Neely or Elizabeth Karl here (nathan.neely@unlv.edu) or here (elizabeth.karl@unlv.edu).

Hey thanks a lot man, really appreciate the help.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 pm

wxw30 wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:

Thanks a lot!

When I talked to the admissions office, I was told that they will generally grant "blanket residency" to 2/3Ls that apply for it. You got a 1/2 scholarship, so it should only be like 10 grand (assuming current tuition) next year.

EDIT: I wanted to add that you should focus on section "M" of the residency application. As long as you have been there for 12 months, it shouldnt be a problem.

wxw30

Postby wxw30 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

yo! wrote:
wxw30 wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:

Thanks a lot!

When I talked to the admissions office, I was told that they will generally grant "blanket residency" to 2/3Ls that apply for it. You got a 1/2 scholarship, so it should only be like 10 grand (assuming current tuition) next year.

EDIT: I wanted to add that you should focus on section "M" of the residency application. As long as you have been there for 12 months, it shouldnt be a problem.

Yeah, I actually talked to Elizabeth tonight, and thats bascially what she told me. If I do get residency and that 1/2 scholar, that will be a freaking awesome deal. By the way, did you go to any ASD? Thanks for the info too man, again, appreciate it.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:22 am

Yeah, I actually talked to Elizabeth tonight, and thats bascially what she told me. If I do get residency and that 1/2 scholar, that will be a freaking awesome deal. By the way, did you go to any ASD? Thanks for the info too man, again, appreciate it.

Yes, I went to the ASD. I also visited the school prior and sat in on a contracts class. Both times I was pretty impressed, but still worried about the school's budgetary issues.

wxw30

Postby wxw30 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:24 pm

yo! wrote:

Yes, I went to the ASD. I also visited the school prior and sat in on a contracts class. Both times I was pretty impressed, but still worried about the school's budgetary issues.

Really, what do you mean by that? I know that UNLV as a whole is getting huge budget cuts, you think its gona affect the law school? also, I know that Rebel already answered this question, but what did the school mention about employment propsects? have you talked to any current students about it?
Thanks man in advance.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 pm

wxw30 wrote:
yo! wrote:

Really, what do you mean by that? I know that UNLV as a whole is getting huge budget cuts, you think its gona affect the law school? also, I know that Rebel already answered this question, but what did the school mention about employment propsects? have you talked to any current students about it?
Thanks man in advance.

To be honest, no one really knows for sure how the UG crisis will affect the law school. We have all kind of speculated about the issue for the past few months. If you want to learn about it, just scroll through this entire thread. There are links to articles and we have all discussed this issue ad nauseum. As far as job prospects are concerned, things are tough, just like everywhere else in the country. The 3Ls that I talked to during my visit had jobs lined up, but stated that many people at the top of the class still had not found anything. With all of that said, UNLV is still my top choice and I am confident in its relatively strong regional reputation. With the relaxed residency requirements, UNLV seems like a great deal, even for those that have to pay sticker. With your scholarship, things are even better.

PS: Based on her facebook updates, it doesn't seem like we will see roguey at UNLV in the fall. Best of luck at Stetson roguey!

wxw30

Postby wxw30 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 pm

yo! wrote:
wxw30 wrote:
yo! wrote:

Thanks man in advance.

To be honest, no one really knows for sure how the UG crisis will affect the law school. We have all kind of speculated about the issue for the past few months. If you want to learn about it, just scroll through this entire thread. There are links to articles and we have all discussed this issue ad nauseum. As far as job prospects are concerned, things are tough, just like everywhere else in the country. The 3Ls that I talked to during my visit had jobs lined up, but stated that many people at the top of the class still had not found anything. With all of that said, UNLV is still my top choice and I am confident in its relatively strong regional reputation. With the relaxed residency requirements, UNLV seems like a great deal, even for those that have to pay sticker. With your scholarship, things are even better.

PS: Based on her facebook updates, it doesn't seem like we will see roguey at UNLV in the fall. Best of luck at Stetson roguey!

Thanks again for the helpful response. yeah right now UNLV is also my 1st choice, the instate tutition is prety sick, so perhaps I'll c u there in the August, thanks again for the help

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Employment prospects are reasonable. Is everyone going to get a 6 figure job out of school, no. In fact most people are probably looking at the 65-75 range. There are only a few firms that are shelling out the big bucks and you pretty much need to be the best of the best to get an offer. I think Lewis and roca only hired 2 students, gt I think 1 from Unlv etc... A high gpa won't help you though if you can't sell people on your personality. I know two people in the top 10% who were empty handed in oci.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:44 pm

jackdaw wrote:Employment prospects are reasonable. Is everyone going to get a 6 figure job out of school, no. In fact most people are probably looking at the 65-75 range. There are only a few firms that are shelling out the big bucks and you pretty much need to be the best of the best to get an offer. I think Lewis and roca only hired 2 students, gt I think 1 from Unlv etc... A high gpa won't help you though if you can't sell people on your personality. I know two people in the top 10% who were empty handed in oci.

A few questions:
Are most students happy with their decision to attend Boyd? Are the students worried about tuition hikes next year? What kind of public interest opportunities are there coming out of Boyd? If you could take a wild guess, approximately how many students lose their scholarships after 1L year?

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:46 pm

I have been "in review" since 1/5. Does this mean I'm going to be rejected?

dibs

Postby dibs » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 pm

"in review" since march 2nd. sent an email today asking tentative decision date. said i'll hear back by the end of march, early april.

i'd imagine that's the same for everyone.

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Are most students happy with their decision to attend Boyd?

I would not presume to speak for others but I can't think of a single instance of someone expressing dissatisfaction with boyd.

Are the students worried about tuition hikes next year?

I don't think this should be a concern, Boyd initially was a bargain basement school because of it's relatively new status. Case in point, uc irvine and it's blanket free tuition. Now that it is somewhat established it's tuition has been increased proportionately to bring it in line with similar schools. There will always be tuition increases regardless of what school you go to, the entire uc system recently raised tuition to a much higher level. Any further increases Boyd may have though would likely be relatively modest and in keeping with other similarly situated schools.

What kind of public interest opportunities are there coming out of Boyd?

There are plenty of pi opportunities whether you are interested in the da office, pd, clerking, etc...
If you could take a wild guess, approximately how many students lose their scholarships after 1L year?

I have no idea, that would be a function of how many people were offered a scholarship based on maintaining a gpa. If 50% were given such offers then not everyone is going to make the cut. This is something better addressed to admissions though I'm not sure if Boyd or any other school for that matter would give this info out.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

jackdaw wrote:I have no idea, that would be a function of how many people were offered a scholarship based on maintaining a gpa. If 50% were given such offers then not everyone is going to make the cut. This is something better addressed to admissions though I'm not sure if Boyd or any other school for that matter would give this info out.

Just to say again, Director Neely has told me that less than the top 1/3rd of students are given scholarships, and so no one needs to lose their scholarship as some sort of numerical trick. Certainly some who got the scholarship do not maintain standing, but that (apparently) need not be so.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”