UNLV 2010 waiting room.....

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zoomba200

Re: UNLV 2010 waiting room.....

Postby Zoomba200 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 pm

yo! wrote: I'm with both of you. I've narrowed it down to 2 schools, but for me its UNLV and Arizona. However, a solid offer from Utah or Davis could change everything.

What is a solid offer? In what state do you have residency?

I am just wondering what is going through the heads of people in similar situations.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
yo! wrote: I'm with both of you. I've narrowed it down to 2 schools, but for me its UNLV and Arizona. However, a solid offer from Utah or Davis could change everything.

I am just wondering what is going through the heads of people in similar situations.

This question is sort of difficult to answer. A solid offer at Utah would probably be something that at least matched my Arizona offer. Davis is a little more complicated. My residency is in CA, but Davis' resident tuition is still insane (40k+). I would consider somthing from 10-15k to be a solid offer. They are supposedly giving out lots off need based money, so I haven't ruled out the possibility of a decent offer. However, I'm not exactly holding my breath....I'm not even sure I will be admitted (LSP puts me at 60%). Chances are that I will be living in Vegas or Tucson this fall. I honestly have no idea which is the better option though......

Zoomba200

Postby Zoomba200 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

yo! wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:

This question is sort of difficult to answer. A solid offer at Utah would probably be something that at least matched my Arizona offer. Davis is a little more complicated. My residency is in CA, but Davis' resident tuition is still insane (40k+). I would consider somthing from 10-15k to be a solid offer. They are supposedly giving out lots off need based money, so I haven't ruled out the possibility of a decent offer. However, I'm not exactly holding my breath....I'm not even sure I will be admitted (LSP puts me at 60%). Chances are that I will be living in Vegas or Tucson this fall. I honestly have no idea which is the better option though......

What are the stipulations with your Arizona scholarship? I am in pretty much the same boat. Resident tuition at Utah vs. the possible free ride at UNLV with top 1/3 stipulation. UNLV is tempting, but so is the guarantee of resident tuition at Utah (and it's a higher ranked school). Although Utah is currently 30 degrees colder than Vegas...

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
yo! wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:

What are the stipulations with your Arizona scholarship? I am in pretty much the same boat. Resident tuition at Utah vs. the possible free ride at UNLV with top 1/3 stipulation. UNLV is tempting, but so is the guarantee of resident tuition at Utah (and it's a higher ranked school). Although Utah is currently 30 degrees colder than Vegas...

i've lived in vegas for 18 yrs n logan for 4. i hate hate hate cold, but id take utah, most likely. the 1/3 pushes it over the edge for me. if you can get a 1/2 or full ride no stipulation, i'd go unlv

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
yo! wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:

There are no stipulations for the Arizona scholarship, I just have to "maintain good academic standing." The scholarship is 16k per year and tuition is like 34k. If I get residency after 1L, they will adjust the scholarship according to the percentage that I get. For their approx. 20k/yr tuition, I would get like 9-10k scholarship. I actually like this offer better, but my wife will have an easier time finding work in Vegas and I have some connections there. I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do. I have a hunch that I may be able to squeeze 18 or 20/yr out of Az, but who knows......

tstack22

Postby tstack22 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 pm

So what do people think about the top 1/3 class requirement for keeping the scholarships? I've got my choice narrowed down to UNLV and U of A too, though Utah and UNM could both get in there with good offers. Personally, I'm scared by the top third requirement. Seems like too much of a gamble. Anybody else leaning away from UNLV because of this?

MixedGirl2009

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:31 pm

tstack22 wrote:So what do people think about the top 1/3 class requirement for keeping the scholarships? I've got my choice narrowed down to UNLV and U of A too, though Utah and UNM could both get in there with good offers. Personally, I'm scared by the top third requirement. Seems like too much of a gamble. Anybody else leaning away from UNLV because of this?

+1, i just don't know what to expect in terms of how competitive the student body is and qualified as well as law school in general so i have no idea if my undergrad GPA would be a good predictor of my law school GPA

Zoomba200

Postby Zoomba200 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I am sure you can count on the students in law school all being very bright. The top 1/3 requirement makes me nervous because I know that pretty much every law student excelled in undergrad.

That is what makes Utah appealing with resident tuition and no top 1/3 requirement. Obviously I would like to think I will be a competitive law student, but there are no guarantees.

Edit: I also spoke with a 3L student at Lewis and Clark and he said at L&C offers about half of their first year students a scholarship with top 1/2 scholarships. I'd think that about half of entering students at any law school with these types of stipulation-based scholarships probably offers them at a similar rate.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:I am sure you can count on the students in law school all being very bright. The top 1/3 requirement makes me nervous because I know that pretty much every law student excelled in undergrad.

That is what makes Utah appealing with resident tuition and no top 1/3 requirement. Obviously I would like to think I will be a competitive law student, but there are no guarantees.

Edit: I also spoke with a 3L student at Lewis and Clark and he said at L&C offers about half of their first year students a scholarship with top 1/2 scholarships. I'd think that about half of entering students at any law school with these types of stipulation-based scholarships probably offers them at a similar rate.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have a problem getting residency after your 1L year. If I knew that resident tuition would stay at 20k per year and the school wouldn't fall in the rankings, UNLV would be a safe bet. My fear is that I won't make the top 1/3, tuition will skyrocket, and the school will fall into the 3rd tier. At Arizona, I won't have those worries. However, I will be worried about my wife making enough to cover our COL in AZ, which wouldn't be a problem at all in Vegas. She is a Paramedic for American Medical Response, which pays pretty well (50-70k in Northern Ca). Since AMR is in Vegas, she could transfer straight into a full-time position and maintain her seniority (a big deal in any union job). In Tucson, Southwest Ambulance pays shit wages and looking for a job in this economy is tough. She is hoping to look into Border Patrol/ER openings in Tucson, but its tough to count on something like that.

Zoomba200

Postby Zoomba200 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 pm

It is good to know that there are people out there having equally as much trouble making decisions about law school. I am typically averse to taking risks and at this point UNLV feels like the risky option (which also has a chance of paying off big if I end up getting 3 free years of law school!). That is what is making my decision difficult.

tstack22

Postby tstack22 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Maybe UNLV figure that if you don't like taking risk and gambling, you won't be a good fit for Vegas, and try to weed such people out with the tough renewal requirements.

MixedGirl2009

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:20 pm

tstack22 wrote:Maybe UNLV figure that if you don't like taking risk and gambling, you won't be a good fit for Vegas, and try to weed such people out with the tough renewal requirements.

lol

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 pm

If I get into ASU or Utah I'll likely go to them over UNLV just because the school itself is influx. During the summers I'll try to work in Vegas and set up some connections there. If I get rejected by both and just get into UNLV...thats when I start doing some shots of Jager and decide between UNLV and some other options..

roguey

Postby roguey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm

darknightbegins wrote:If I get into ASU or Utah I'll likely go to them over UNLV just because the school itself is influx. During the summers I'll try to work in Vegas and set up some connections there. If I get rejected by both and just get into UNLV...thats when I start doing some shots of Jager and decide between UNLV and some other options..

I have a feeling this is the exact reason they are sending out so many scholarships. I'm having trouble figuring it out too... but even 2 years of UNLV in-state isn't terrible. It's my number one school because of the immigration offerings, and I am already planning on buying two houses as soon as I get there and then renting them out for income (house prices there are INSANELY cheap) and to buy more until I have about 10 or so. Oh well, might as well take the gamble. If nothing else, it would be awesome to call myself a Las Vegas slum lord.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 pm

roguey wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:If I get into ASU or Utah I'll likely go to them over UNLV just because the school itself is influx. During the summers I'll try to work in Vegas and set up some connections there. If I get rejected by both and just get into UNLV...thats when I start doing some shots of Jager and decide between UNLV and some other options..

I have a feeling this is the exact reason they are sending out so many scholarships. I'm having trouble figuring it out too... but even 2 years of UNLV in-state isn't terrible. It's my number one school because of the immigration offerings, and I am already planning on buying two houses as soon as I get there and then renting them out for income (house prices there are INSANELY cheap) and to buy more until I have about 10 or so. Oh well, might as well take the gamble. If nothing else, it would be awesome to call myself a Las Vegas slum lord.

We looked at houses last week, (Henderson FTW) and the cheap housing is awesome. With my wife's salary, we could own a nice house while I go to school. If I can make the top 33, my wife and I will be debt free (minus the mortgage) and set up pretty well. I will be 27 when I graduate the c/o 2013, so owning a home before 30 would be tough if I accumulate educational debt.

roguey

Postby roguey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm

yo! wrote:
roguey wrote:

We looked at houses last week, (Henderson FTW) and the cheap housing is awesome. With my wife's salary, we could own a nice house while I go to school. If I can make the top 33, my wife and I will be debt free (minus the mortgage) and set up pretty well. I will be 27 when I graduate the c/o 2013, so owning a home before 30 would be tough if I accumulate educational debt.

Did you see the houses going for 20-40k? There are some that are freaking awesome.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Received acceptance package in the mail yesterday with a full scholly renewable if I am in top 1/3 of class. The top 1/3 part does make me a little nervous. I am leaning toward UC Irvine at the moment, but the low COL and access to work for my hubby make UNLV tempting. Both NV and CA are scary in terms of the state's financial condition and in regard to cuts being made to higher ed. Regardless of what I decide it is flattering to get the full scholly offer.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Guess who's going to Vegas this weekend!

I just got the email/phone call with my acceptance. They called to ask about whether I was planning on working full time.

There's a lot I like about UNLV! I applied part-time, so I don't know about scholarship offers, but a little dough never hurts.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm

How have I missed this thread?!

It'll be good to meet some people at the ASW this Saturday. We should find some way to identify TLSers so that we can say hello in person.

In terms of finances: UNLV Law and UNLV UG are on the same campus, but seem to have separate finances (or at least alum donations are keeping the law school out of most of the trouble.)

The law library is decent, but not great, as reported. The UG library is awesome however. The librarians are very helpful in my experience, and even helped me do a little research on trusts by showing me around and suggesting places to start. Director Neely has been fantastic.

The Top 1/3rd requirement for schollys is a little troubling to me too. UNLV seems very unwilling to move on that front. However, Director Neely told me that they extend full rides to less than the top 1/3rd, so if everyone performs roughly as expected no one needs to lose their scholly. He also said there will be another scholly available soon, and that details will be forthcoming to admitted students in the next few weeks. All of this leads me to believe that they are solid, financially. I certainly wouldn't expect radical tuition hikes, even given the UGs troubles.

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:How have I missed this thread?!

It'll be good to meet some people at the ASW this Saturday. We should find some way to identify TLSers so that we can say hello in person.

In terms of finances: UNLV Law and UNLV UG are on the same campus, but seem to have separate finances (or at least alum donations are keeping the law school out of most of the trouble.)

The law library is decent, but not great, as reported. The UG library is awesome however. The librarians are very helpful in my experience, and even helped me do a little research on trusts by showing me around and suggesting places to start. Director Neely has been fantastic.

The Top 1/3rd requirement for schollys is a little troubling to me too. UNLV seems very unwilling to move on that front. However, Director Neely told me that they extend full rides to less than the top 1/3rd, so if everyone performs roughly as expected no one needs to lose their scholly. He also said there will be another scholly available soon, and that details will be forthcoming to admitted students in the next few weeks. All of this leads me to believe that they are solid, financially. I certainly wouldn't expect radical tuition hikes, even given the UGs troubles.

Thanks for the insight. I planned to reply to your PM, but I totally forgot. I did want to ask you a few things, but maybe I will just see you this weekend. You are definitely correct about the UG library, it was awesome! Have you tried to get them to remove the top 1/3 requirement? I was thinking about taking a stab at it. Where is UNLV on your list? Are you considering attending?

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:How have I missed this thread?!

The 1/3 stipulation or a GPA requirement (which is almost like a percentage stipulation because most schools run a tight curve) is pretty standard from what I hear. I wouldn't expect them to budge and most schools don't. It's a reward for doing well thus far in your life/with the lsat and gpa and if that trend continues so does the money. A lot of schools will give schollys or additional funding going into 2L for top performers.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:54 pm

yo! wrote:Thanks for the insight. I planned to reply to your PM, but I totally forgot. I did want to ask you a few things, but maybe I will just see you this weekend. You are definitely correct about the UG library, it was awesome! Have you tried to get them to remove the top 1/3 requirement? I was thinking about taking a stab at it. Where is UNLV on your list? Are you considering attending?

I'll see you this weekend for sure (well, as long as you're going, anyway.)

I asked them about changing the 1/3rd to 1/2 in light of USC seeming to have no standing requirement (I'm not even sure they rank their students) but was unsuccessful. It was worth asking, though.

UNLV is right near the top of my list, mostly because I want to practice in Vegas after law school. It's certainly possible I won't go, but it'd probably take a miracle acceptance from a reach school for that to happen. Those have, so far, not been forthcoming. Plus, I wouldn't have to move or anything, which is convenient.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Oaky, for the ASD on Saturday I have:

Vegas_Rebel
usuaggie
me
Roguey?

Anyone else attending? How will be distinguish fellow TLSers?

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:03 pm

yo! wrote:Oaky, for the ASD on Saturday I have:

Vegas_Rebel
usuaggie
me
Roguey?

I'll be there!!

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:11 pm

yo! wrote:Oaky, for the ASD on Saturday I have:

Vegas_Rebel
usuaggie
me
Roguey?

I'd assume there might be some sort of nametag. I'd suggest just sticking our TLS name underneath our real name.

Either that or just start with a 'WHERE MY TLS PEEPS AT?!' shout :p

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”