What to do when you are held

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What to do when you are held

Postby 4910 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I couldn't find a thread on what to do when you are held so forgive me if there is already one.

My question was is it better to send in an updated transcript if your gpa fell last semester?

Also, would a new targeted recommendation from the same recommender be of any use?

Thanks guys.

MarkRenton

Re: What to do when you are held

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Depends on the school. Dean Pless in the Illinois thread was pretty clear that all it means is that you wait. No LOCI, just wait. However, some schools invite you to update your file or submit additional documents. I think regardless of policy, visiting and talking with someone is always a great idea if feasible. So it's basically school to school.

Postby 4910 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm

thanks for the input, i got held at harvard this past week so i am kind of clueless on what to do at this point.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Unless there's a specific document that you haven't submitted which is invited on the application - not much. Like if an application allows for a Why X or a diversity statement, then you might be able to submit one of those. Otherwise, it's just the waiting game...

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:13 pm

4910 wrote:I couldn't find a thread on what to do when you are held so forgive me if there is already one.

My question was is it better to send in an updated transcript if your gpa fell last semester?

Also, would a new targeted recommendation from the same recommender be of any use?

Thanks guys.

If you submit an additional recommendation, it should be from someone who didn't originally recommend you.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:19 pm

It's kind of funny; this is the only circumstance I can think of where just being held is better than getting fucked.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Come hang out here with the rest of us:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103725&start=50

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
4910 wrote:I couldn't find a thread on what to do when you are held so forgive me if there is already one.

Thanks guys.

If you submit an additional recommendation, it should be from someone who didn't originally recommend you.

How do you submit an additional one?

Via LSAC or direct email or snail mail?

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 pm

pray?

Chelios

Postby Chelios » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Tell the AdCo you're holding your breath until they let you in, and send them a link to your webcam.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:Come hang out here with the rest of us:

Different schools have different rules about this.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:41 am

I was held at Harvard as well . . . assuming we got the same hold email, it was pretty explicit.

" For example, if you have received additional grades since submitting your transcripts to LSDAS, please send these new grades to LSDAS. Additional letters of recommendation are also welcome. If you have a special interest in attending Harvard, please feel free to tell us about that as well. Any new information that you feel might be helpful is appropriate."

I pulled that right out of the email . . . I don't mean to sound harsh, but you said you were clueless about Harvard, and they couldn't have laid it out clearer. I understand that you probably don't want to lower your GPA, but they clearly want those grades . . . maybe you shouldn't send them in, but then be fully aware you're gaming the system . . . the only thing I wouldn't be too sure about is LOR's from the same recommender . . . probably not unless they have something drastically new to say, but you could email their office and ask what they prefer.

Notor

Postby Notor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm

kalvano wrote:

Would also like to know this concerning additional LORs

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Notor wrote:
kalvano wrote:

When I responded before, I think I linked the wrong post. Different schools have different rules. A lot of them can be mailed directly to the school but I know a couple schools want them going through LSAC.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm

4910 wrote:I couldn't find a thread on what to do when you are held

"Do not question your love. Take your lover by the hand. Release the power within yourself. Your heard me, release the power. Tame the wild cosmos with a whisper. Conquer heaven with one intimate caress. That's right don't be shy. Whip out everything you got and do it in the butt."

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Notor wrote:
kalvano wrote:

When I responded before, I think I linked the wrong post. Different schools have different rules. A lot of them can be mailed directly to the school but I know a couple schools want them going through LSAC.

How does one forward an additional LOR from LSAC after the application has been completed?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Come hang out here with the rest of us:

Different schools have different rules about this.

Yes, I was directing that to the OP, who said explicitly they were held at Harvard. Should've quoted to make it clearer.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”