With everything equal, WCL or Howard?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

As a black male and with no $ offered from either, which school should I attend?

Howard University
66%
Washington College of Law
34%

Total votes: 80

FuturehoyaLawya

Re: With everything equal, WCL or Howard?

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:44 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:i don't think i can make a wrong choice, either. but i can understand both sides of the argument: Howard had enormous amounts of OCI interviews and the top 1/3 does well BUT American is a top 50 school and has an extensive network of its own in DC and has a high number of clerkships, as well!

i gotta keep thinking this one over!

Both are about equal in tuition so you are not saving there. However, I think HBCUs can be limiting in the long run--and screw more people over than they can help (especially lower to median students). American is a top school, and Howard is not. If your in the top of your class at Howard, you are definitely set for Biglaw, but what if you are NOT...your are screwed. I would go with American just because I know too many folks screwed over by Howard undergrad and other graduate programs in terms of funding and job opportunities. I like to sleep easy at night, and Howard creates more problems in my opinion for students. However, its more of a personal choice, so whatever fits the best. :)

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 am

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:i don't think i can make a wrong choice, either. but i can understand both sides of the argument: Howard had enormous amounts of OCI interviews and the top 1/3 does well BUT American is a top 50 school and has an extensive network of its own in DC and has a high number of clerkships, as well!

i gotta keep thinking this one over!

Both are about equal in tuition so you are not saving there. However, I think HBCUs can be limiting in the long run--and screw more people over than they can help (especially lower to median students). American is a top school, and Howard is not. If your in the top of your class at Howard, you are definitely set for Biglaw, but what if you are NOT...your are screwed. I would go with American just because I know too many folks screwed over by Howard undergrad and other graduate programs in terms of funding and job opportunities. I like to sleep easy at night, and Howard creates more problems in my opinion for students. However, its more of a personal choice, so whatever fits the best. :)

interesting perspective...what about slightly/just-above median placement at Howard law? any opinion on that or is it the same?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:22 am

Kohinoor wrote:Friend of a friend?

haha friends of friends never know anything (rumor mills).

Oh and to answer your question directly, no.

The reason the small "boost" would come into play is that students at Howard would likely not receive it considering they are competing against other AA's instead of ORMs.

Of course, that is speculation.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:33 am

I am a DC resident, so maybe I am biased by the respect Howard receives within DC, but if I was making this choice, it would be Howard easily. The only exception would be if you wanted to do public interest work internationally.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:19 pm

really? i gotta think this one over...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Howard, for sure.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm hating myself for this deliberation. OK, to make the issue less complicated, what if I finished median (or slightly above) at Howard or at WCL? Would my employment hunt be better one way or the other? And vice-versa?

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm hating myself for this deliberation. OK, to make the issue less complicated, what if I finished median (or slightly above) at Howard or at WCL? Would my employment hunt be better one way or the other? And vice-versa?

Have you visited each school?

I really think at this point you might be better off spending some time on each campus and just going with what feels right. At some point it has to become about which school will provide the most opportunity for growth.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

I really think at this point you might be better off spending some time on each campus and just going with what feels right. At some point it has to become about which school will provide the most opportunity for growth.

I was just thinking that. I'm pretty sure personal growth and the strength of the curriculum in the respective schools may aid me in deciding between the two.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Lemme guess, your ego is saying american but your heart is saying howard?

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:18 pm

hahaha...you're right about the ego...my heart says "it's in the air"...fcuking USNWR...fcuking BIGLAW...fcuking racism! :lol:

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:33 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:hahaha...you're right about the ego...my heart says "it's in the air"...fcuking USNWR...fcuking BIGLAW...fcuking racism! :lol:

lol, totally understandable dilemma. I think it all comes down to how you feel about both schools. Look at the upper level course offerings, clinics and various other programs and see which one pleases you more and aligns to your overall goals and wants.

but I say Howard

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm

IDILL_E wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:hahaha...you're right about the ego...my heart says "it's in the air"...fcuking USNWR...fcuking BIGLAW...fcuking racism! :lol:

lol, totally understandable dilemma. I think it all comes down to how you feel about both schools. Look at the upper level course offerings, clinics and various other programs and see which one pleases you more and aligns to your overall goals and wants.

but I say Howard

believe it or not, i'm kinda leaning in that direction...worst comes to worst...i'll find a strong, intelligent sista on my way to getting that JD....but American's nice tho!

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:49 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:

but I say Howard

believe it or not, i'm kinda leaning in that direction...worst comes to worst...i'll find a strong, intelligent sista on my way to getting that JD....but American's nice tho!

True, they are in abundance at Howard but it is the Chocolate City so it really wouldnt matter because you would still be able to run into them if you went AU.

But yea you cant really go wrong here, American is a very good school and so is Howard. When are you going to visit them?

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:52 pm

i'll probably visit them later in the year (february, march)....decisions, decisions! oh, have you peeped Jay Electronica's electrochemicals...i think's a compilation of his better joints but is worth looking into..

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:i'll probably visit them later in the year (february, march)....decisions, decisions! oh, have you peeped Jay Electronica's electrochemicals...i think's a compilation of his better joints but is worth looking into..

I have his entire discography w/ lyrics to most of the songs. LOL I'm such a stan.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 pm

IDILL_E wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:i'll probably visit them later in the year (february, march)....decisions, decisions! oh, have you peeped Jay Electronica's electrochemicals...i think's a compilation of his better joints but is worth looking into..

I have his entire discography w/ lyrics to most of the songs. LOL I'm such a stan.

word! haha, stan!

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 am

Shaggier1 wrote:

growth is not going to pay student loan debt, if your paying sticker at both schools. however, both schools are very different...one is top 100, and the other is not for obvious reasons. if you were getting scholarship money, howard would b the obvious choice. less debt to pay back is always good!

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:21 am

one is top 100, and the other is not for obvious reasons. if you were getting scholarship money, howard would b the obvious choice. less debt to pay back is always good!

Yes but this is not as clear cut as your standard T 100 vs. non T 100 comparison.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 pm

fcuk it....would one do better graduating median at Howard or median at WCL (American)? remember, I'm probably going to practice in DC (but would also be interested in practicing in NY or Boston).

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 pm

...BUMP!

soullogical

Postby soullogical » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Howard.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:20 pm

soullogical wrote:Howard.

finishing median at Howard is better than finishing better at WCL?

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Did you get into GW? If so then id have to go with GW

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:22 pm

IDILL_E wrote:Did you get into GW? If so then id have to go with GW

GW is wayyyyy too expensive. unless they break out that gwop!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”