THE DING BAR

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HapaForever

Re: THE DING BAR

Postby HapaForever » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 am

chrisbru wrote:
HapaForever wrote:I'm assuming it doesn't matter to you because you're not a minority. But why do I have to leave when people can stop making racist, ageist, sexist and homophobic comments? I should be able to enjoy the law school shaming without feeling uncomfortable.

If someone says "fuck off UVA" and students at UVA get upset, they should understand that this is the purpose of the ding bar. But you don't have to be insensitive to minorities to get the point across.

I would love to leave the ugliness behind and continue ripping law schools.

I think the point is that he wasn't being intentionally racist, he was merely commenting on the truth that URM's get a boost and he doesn't.

It wasn't funny. But it really shouldn't be taken as that offensive either.

It might be hard to understand why it's offensive because you haven't had comments like that directed towards you. I don't care for the implication that URMs are keeping white people from going to law school.

Nevertheless, I got an apology from the OP and I have no hard feelings towards anyone.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
shroeder wrote:Dear GW,

Never mind I'll find someone like you!!!

racist

Sexist

zxcv22

Postby zxcv22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm

ITT: people write racist/sexist/homophobic etc posts to make themselves feel better about not getting into law schools.

When called out, they resort to third-grade level attacks/insults (calling people "retarded," women must be PMSing, etc) to defend their right not to be held to such an arduous standard as not being racist/sexist/homophobic. They also insist that those who object to prejudice are the ones that have the problem.

Could we go ahead and retitle this the "overprivileged white straight male ding bar"? Thanks.

zxcv22

Postby zxcv22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm

benburns214 wrote:

racist

Sexist

Brainless; TTT-worthy.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 pm

zxcv22 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

racist

Sexist

Brainless; TTT-worthy.

TTTist

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 pm

benburns214 wrote:

racist

Sexist

Elitist. Can we at least all agree on that? :wink:

thelong

Postby thelong » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I think it's less the insulting comments + butthurt that's the problem.

It's the collective pages of fuckery and posts essentially repeating exactly what was said in other posts that proceeds.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

This thread is officially dead... It was great while it lasted.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 pm

thelong wrote:It's the collective pages of fuckery and posts essentially repeating exactly what was said in other posts that proceeds.

To Paraphrase the great man, "The little 'fuckery' that wise men have makes a great show."

zxcv22

Postby zxcv22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Davidbentley wrote:
thelong wrote:It's the collective pages of fuckery and posts essentially repeating exactly what was said in other posts that proceeds.

To Paraphrase the great man, "The little 'fuckery' that wise men have makes a great show."

"We should all just get over the racism/sexism/homophobia and proceed with more of it."

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:23 pm

zxcv22 wrote:
Davidbentley wrote:

"We should all just get over the racism/sexism/homophobia and proceed with more of it."

Now you have it. "The stars are setting, and the caravan starts for dawn of nothing--Oh make haste!"

lizaregina

Postby lizaregina » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Dear Vanderbilt,
You waitlisted me after I told you I was no longer interested in applying, canceled my interview, and got into Harvard.

Seems a little desperate.

moreprejthanprob

Postby moreprejthanprob » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:39 pm

zxcv22 wrote:ITT: people write racist/sexist/homophobic etc posts to make themselves feel better about not getting into law schools.

When called out, they resort to third-grade level attacks/insults (calling people "retarded," women must be PMSing, etc) to defend their right not to be held to such an arduous standard as not being racist/sexist/homophobic. They also insist that those who object to prejudice are the ones that have the problem.

Could we go ahead and retitle this the "overprivileged white straight male ding bar"? Thanks.

+1

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 pm

moreprejthanprob wrote:Could we go ahead and retitle this the "overprivileged white straight male ding bar"? Thanks.

If it gets the ding bar back on track and gets rid of this whiny nonsense, I'm all for it.

xwing_redleader

Postby xwing_redleader » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:11 pm

So sometime last week, I lazily decided to send Penn an updated resumé. Later that same day, I get their ding letter in my inbox.

I really didn't mind until today, four days later, when I actually get a reply to my resumé update.

It reads "Thank you for your email. We will add this information to your application."

Penn Law, how incompetent are you? :shock: My application is probably in the dumpster already, but if you do a little dumpster diving right now, you might be able to throw it in there before the trash man picks it up!

vivian3909

Postby vivian3909 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 pm

xwing_redleader wrote:So sometime last week, I lazily decided to send Penn an updated resumé. Later that same day, I get their ding letter in my inbox.

I really didn't mind until today, four days later, when I actually get a reply to my resumé update.

It reads "Thank you for your email. We will add this information to your application."

Penn Law, how incompetent are you? :shock: My application is probably in the dumpster already, but if you do a little dumpster diving right now, you might be able to throw it in there before the trash man picks it up!

:) It gives me hope that it's possible to be funny w/o being offensive to women and people of color. But people live in their own worlds, if comparing a law school rejection to the psycho bitch you dated in high school is funny to you, you have that right to post it. People also have the right to post that it's offensive.

By the way, Cornell, I wouldn't have moved to NY for you. I guess you knew.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:23 pm

This is quite possibly the worst thread ever now. The worst part isn't the "bigotry" or the "PC police" (though the PC Police are just unbearable), it is that nothing is funny and that for every chuckle worthy slice of content there is pages worth of shit that reads worse than the fine-print of an insurance policy.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:24 pm

stillwater wrote:This is quite possibly the worst thread ever now. The worst part isn't the "bigotry" or the "PC police" (though the PC Police are just unbearable), it is that nothing is funny and that for every chuckle worthy slice of content there is pages worth of shit that reads worse than the fine-print of an insurance policy.

+1

moreprejthanprob

Postby moreprejthanprob » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Dany wrote:
moreprejthanprob wrote:Could we go ahead and retitle this the "overprivileged white straight male ding bar"? Thanks.

If it gets the ding bar back on track and gets rid of this whiny nonsense, I'm all for it.

stillwater wrote:This is quite possibly the worst thread ever now. The worst part isn't the "bigotry" or the "PC police" (though the PC Police are just unbearable), it is that nothing is funny and that for every chuckle worthy slice of content there is pages worth of shit that reads worse than the fine-print of an insurance policy.

I really don't mean to beat a dead horse or whatevs, but seeing as I'm a prospective law student and just can't stand not getting the last word in, I will.

The notion that those who are offended by the aforementioned insensitive posts, and who then choose to call out those that make them, are "ruining" your precious online forum is simply indicative of the privilege you possess. I personally couldn't care less that us "PC police" annoy you guys so, perhaps just as you evidently don't care that some people are insulted by some comments on this thread - comments that may not address them personally, but rather use their (or someone's) identity as an insult, or as the butt of a joke.

As [presumably] white, straight, males, that's just "whiny nonsense" to you because nothing about your identity can be used as an insult in the same way.

Yay for Privilege 101. Come to think of it, I'm happy to keep this going. I'd love to annoy as many of y'all as possible.

/rant (for now)

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 pm

omg. IIII. AM SOOOOOO. BORED.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:35 pm

lizaregina wrote:Dear Vanderbilt,
You waitlisted me after I told you I was no longer interested in applying, canceled my interview, and got into Harvard.

Seems a little desperate.

hahaha yeah. are they even allowed to do that? seems like they r messing w/ their yield for rankings purposes if u withdrew ur app before they waitlisted u

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm

moreprejthanprob wrote:As [presumably] white, straight, males, that's just "whiny nonsense" to you because nothing about your identity can be used as an insult in the same way.

/rant (for now)

That comment is racist and sexist against white males. Please be a little more aware of your posts in the future, as they might offend people. Thanks....

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:omg. IIII. AM SOOOOOO. BORED.

Want to play some online checkers with me?

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 pm

benburns214 wrote:
moreprejthanprob wrote:As [presumably] white, straight, males, that's just "whiny nonsense" to you because nothing about your identity can be used as an insult in the same way.

/rant (for now)

That comment is racist and sexist against white males. Please be a little more aware of your posts in the future, as they might offend people. Thanks....

This. It's a two way street, folks. There's a Supreme Court case brewing about this right now.

So please please can we all just drop it and let the justices fight it out? The ding bar used to be so much fun.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote: There's a Supreme Court case brewing about this right now.

So please please can we all just drop it and let the justices fight it out? The ding bar used to be so much fun.

danke

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”