THE DING BAR

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Re: THE DING BAR

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm

It seems like a lot of people on here, males AND females, are comparing schools that rejected them to women (ex-girlfriends, or "chicks" who rejected them) and even calling them "bitches". Way to be misogynistic, guys.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:40 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:It seems like a lot of people on here, males AND females, are comparing schools that rejected them to women (ex-girlfriends, or "chicks" who rejected them) and even calling them "bitches". Way to be misogynistic, guys.

Amen.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:41 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:It seems like a lot of people on here, males AND females, are comparing schools that rejected them to women (ex-girlfriends, or "chicks" who rejected them) and even calling them "bitches". Way to be misogynistic, guys.

:roll:

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 pm

You seem like a very unpleasant person

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:44 pm

benburns214 wrote:

If your definition of unpleasant is someone who doesn't like to see her sex or gender constantly demeaned, then I suppose I am. I say these things only because I am secure in the knowledge that I am among intelligent people who are willing to discuss and think about things like this.

But so far, the only responses I've gotten are someone rolling their eyes and another person saying that I seem unpleasant. Clearly, I was mistaken.

southernsuperstar

Postby southernsuperstar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm

crumpledq wrote:

Amen.

Agreed

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

If your definition of unpleasant is someone who doesn't like to see her sex or gender constantly demeaned, then I suppose I am. I say these things only because I am secure in the knowledge that I am among intelligent people who are willing to discuss and think about things like this.

But so far, the only responses I've gotten are someone rolling their eyes and another person saying that I seem unpleasant. Clearly, I was mistaken.

No... my definition of unpleasant is someone with no sense of humor, which you are clearly lacking.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 pm

benburns214 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

No... my definition of unpleasant is someone with no sense of humor, which you are clearly lacking.

+1

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 pm

benburns214 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

No... my definition of unpleasant is someone with no sense of humor, and you clearly have none.

I guess my sense of humor and yours don't synch up, but doesn't mean I don't have one. It means that as a woman, jokes about women being scornful bitches and "fat hoes" aren't as funny to me because I'm, you know, a woman. And I'm not even going to say "You can't understand because you're a man!!!!1!!" because I don't believe that you necessarily need to be a female/woman to understand where I'm coming from.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:53 pm

[/quote]

You seem like a very unpleasant person[/quote]

But so far, the only responses I've gotten are someone rolling their eyes and another person saying that I seem unpleasant. Clearly, I was mistaken.[/quote]

No... my definition of unpleasant is someone with no sense of humor, and you clearly have none.[/quote]
I guess my sense of humor and yours don't synch up, but doesn't mean I don't have one. It means that as a woman, jokes about women being scornful bitches and "fat hoes" aren't as funny to me because I'm, you know, a woman. And I'm not even going to say "You can't understand because you're a man!!!!1!!" because I don't believe that you necessarily need to be a female/woman to understand where I'm coming from.[/quote]

Srry to have offended you Jesse Spano

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:53 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote: It means that as a woman, jokes about women being scornful bitches and "fat hoes" aren't as funny to me because I'm, you know, a woman. And I'm not even going to say "You can't understand because you're a man!!!!1!!" because I don't believe that you necessarily need to be a female/woman to understand where I'm coming from.

Completely agreed.

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:54 pm

I think the relationship metaphor works well even though it has gotten a little overused and stale. I can't really say why girls are referring to schools as girls because that does not make sense unless one's sexual preference matches with that. I also used the relationship metaphor when I posted in here, but I made the schools guys. The word "bitch" when used in the context of "mean girl" is no different to me than "ass" and I do not really take offense. It is when "bitch" is used in the context of "inferior person" as in "I am going to make [insert name] my bitch" that it starts to have a derogatory connotation.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:54 pm

This is the DING BAR, people are free to represent the schools that dinged them / waitlisted them as whatever they want to. It is intended and fully understood by vast majority as nothing but humor and it is also a place to vent your stress. Take your PC BS elsewhere please, stop taking up screen space.

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:55 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:Srry to have offended you Jesse Spano

I had to google that because I never watched Saved by the Bell. Not sure why you're simply calling me unpleasant instead of responding to my claim...as you can see by the responses, I am not the only one who feels this way.

Good luck using ad hominem attacks to respond to arguments in law school; you seem to be well-versed in the practice.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:This is the DING BAR, people are free to represent the schools that dinged them / waitlisted them as whatever they want to. It is intended and fully understood by vast majority as nothing but humor and it is also a place to vent your stress. Take your PC BS elsewhere please, stop taking up screen space.

Exactly... humor. Its just a joke... joking... jk's.

And yeah, im sure there are plenty of threads where your posts will actually be enjoyed. This isnt one of them.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm

It's a silly thing to get tso mad about in an online forum. C'mon.

captainwasabi09

Postby captainwasabi09 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm

benburns214 wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:If your definition of unpleasant is someone who doesn't like to see her sex or gender constantly demeaned, then I suppose I am. I say these things only because I am secure in the knowledge that I am among intelligent people who are willing to discuss and think about things like this.

No... my definition of unpleasant is someone with no sense of humor, and you clearly have none.

I guess my sense of humor and yours don't synch up, but doesn't mean I don't have one. It means that as a woman, jokes about women being scornful bitches and "fat hoes" aren't as funny to me because I'm, you know, a woman. And I'm not even going to say "You can't understand because you're a man!!!!1!!" because I don't believe that you necessarily need to be a female/woman to understand where I'm coming from.

Agreed. As for the sense of humor thing, I highly doubt Ben Burns would think it would be equally funny if I joked about ugly/fat men or about ugly/fat white people.

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:It's a silly thing to get tso mad about in an online forum. C'mon.

Well, I'd disagree with you about that, and I also don't think I've "gotten mad". I really just made an observation that I felt deserved to be pointed out.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Hmm I don't know - would it be ok if 50% of the posts likened law schools to women and the other 50% to men? That wouldn't make it any less [allegedly] offensive to women, it would just also make it [allegedly] offensive to men.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:If your definition of unpleasant is someone who doesn't like to see her sex or gender constantly demeaned, then I suppose I am. I say these things only because I am secure in the knowledge that I am among intelligent people who are willing to discuss and think about things like this.

Agreed. As for the sense of humor thing, I highly doubt Ben Burns would think it would be equally funny if I joked about ugly/fat men or about ugly/fat white people.

Pfffffft I could give a shit less if you did that.... nice try tho.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:01 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:Agreed. As for the sense of humor thing, I highly doubt Ben Burns would think it would be equally funny if I joked about ugly/fat men or about ugly/fat white people.

Why do people think this way? I love making fun of everyone, most of all myself.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:Agreed. As for the sense of humor thing, I highly doubt Ben Burns would think it would be equally funny if I joked about ugly/fat men or about ugly/fat white people.

Why do people think this way? I love making fun of everyone, most of all myself.

Big +1

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:04 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

Yeah, you really can't say that men wouldn't like it if you made fun of them (no sarcasm intended). I could launch into a looong explanation about why that is and why it still doesn't make jokes about women any less misogynistic, but I don't think this is the forum for that. I made a quick observation about something I feel personally slighted by, but I can see that we might all just end up fighting and saying things like "NO U".

Idk, if anyone wants to continue talking about it, PM me (as some of you have :D). But my initial comment still stands.
Last edited by SmbdyBringMeSomeHam on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Well I apologize on behalf of all straight men who statistically are a bigger part of the overall applicant pool (a fact which is also reflected in Ding Bar, maybe in an even larger ratio), who, when trying to make an analogy between being dinged/waitlisted and their affection turning out to be not reciprocal for the singular purpose of humor, think of females, not fat dudes. It is in the nature of the process, it is called probability.
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm

This is why we can't have nice things.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”