THE DING BAR

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unc0mm0n1

Re: THE DING BAR

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 am

[/quote]

To clarify, I'm not a New Yorker and I wasn't ragging on Chicago (which I think is awesome), but Hyde Park specifically. Manhattan > Hyde Park imo[/quote]

K I can see that. Although I normally like the outer bouroghs more than Manhattan. But I guess its just a matter of taste. Either way I didnt mean to mess up your ding! Now I need more U. Of C. bashing.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 am

bhan87 wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:Dear Chicago,

I was already pretty much set on going to either Columbia or NYU. Besides, no one around here knows that the University of Chicago is elite anyways. They'd all be more impressed if I said I was going to BC.

Thanks,

redsoxfan

P.S. - A straight up rejection when my GPA is at your median and my LSAT is above your 75th? Was my PS really that bad?

I got dinged with a 75th LSAT and near 75th GPA... I was a bit perplexed. (Same PS was auto admitted to CLS and Berkeley)

Also Chicago, why would anyone want to live in Hyde Park when they could go to a better ranked school in a better city? Promises of rigoar can only go so far

Bravo. You guys with dings from Chicago need to be THANKING them. Hyde Park is the worst. Think Chicago is nice? It is. Think you'll ever get to see any of it, other than the inside of Treasure Island or the 172 from Regents to the law school? (This is a 20+ minute ride both ways, you will miss it at least once a week, and the second you lose your school ID the bus driver will give you all sorts of hell and kick you off the bus.) No. You will never see Chicago, except maybe those occasional times you look out your window and see the skyline. Also quarters are the worst and even by the end of Spring quarter you'll still be submerged in below-freezing days.

-Someone who has never been dinged by uChicago.

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:29 am

March 26, 2011

Dear University of Chicago Admissions Staff and Mind-Reading Team:

I know you sensed my ambivalence and stress during this application season, and I want to thank you personally for being so considerate and taking it upon yourselves to make it 1 bajillion times easier for me to explain to my family why I won't be coming "back home" for law school.

As you know, there's no way they would have bought my explanation of feeling slightly creepy in the psychological experiment of a law building in which you contain all of your students like crowded mice at an underfunded pet store. Nor do I think they'd be convinced by my anecdote of the t-shirt I saw an undergraduate wearing: "University of Chicago: Where Fun Comes to Die."

Now, thanks to your efforts, I can simply sneaker-style withdraw from your waitlist-o-people who could also choose to attend one of HYSCN this fall and just tell the folks I "didn't get in" -- which technically is true!

Whew. That would have been a hard one to spin. You're the best Chicago!

Cheers,
Cucullu
Last edited by cucullu on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 am

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
Sandro wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Dear application process,

Nothing hurts worse than getting dinged from your girlfriend because you’re so stressed about where you’re going to go to school, studying for the LSAT, and waiting 4 months to hear from schools. This past year has been extremely hard on me. I could list about 15 dings, but none compare to the girl I just lost, well maybe Berkeley and NYU, but that’s it.

FML

Yea studying for the LSAT and the admissions process caused 2 breakups for me with the same girl... but It was no big deal. Sucks man.

I love her so much, but she just won't believe me that I won't be going nuts once school starts, and that the me from the past year is who I am, which it's not. And what's worse, I'm going to end up where she is anyway, and all the stress was for nothing, and she's giving up right before shit is tight.

Two comments. 1. If you were going nuts over applications and studying for the LSAT, Law school is actually ten times worse. Everything (as in getting a job or being unemployed and becoming a regular on JDU) rides on the seven or eight grades you get in nine months. You study for months and kill yourself for a month (12 hours a day of practice tests everyday) before finals just to wait two months for grades to slowly trickle in (its like watching the slow march from fantasia while being so high that time has slowed to a crawl). For me, the process of exams and waiting for grades much more stressful and personality warping than LSAT -> waiting for score -> seeing score-> having a really good guess at where you will be going to school. At least with the LSAT you can retake it and they will take the highest score. Law school grades are permanent, all important (with a few exceptions nothing else really matters) and HALF THE CLASS IS BELOW MEDIAN. That means 1 out of 2 people will find their hopes and dreams shattered (they might still get a job, but Wachtell Skadden, the most prestigious PI/govt. jobs fly right out the window)!! Then while going through this process the second semester you have to beg and plead for jobs during your 1L summer! Think a few rejections from elite schools are bad? wait until you get rejected from 50 or shitty jobs that you normally wouldn't apply with someone else's resume!! Then in the middle of your summer you have to stress about your bid lists, whore yourself out at your school's OCI or EIP or EIW to twenty or more firms in four days, all of which want you to tell them how great they are and how happy you would be for them to allow you the pleasure of being their slave for a few years until you lateral into something you really want! Then you wait anxiously for call backs from just one of those firms because you're most likely NOT in the top 10%. Then you go to the one callback you have and spend all day at a firm looking at their posh downtown offices just hoping that they will pay you a ton of money even though you are worthless rising 2L. Then 2L starts and shit is a breeze......

2. If you guys couldn't make it through LSAT how the hell could you make through tough shit (see above) or kids or two jobs with no time and that jazz? It is probably for the best.

edit: It seems like I am writing a hyperbolic polemic on law school. I am not. I am just highlighting that parts of it can be infinitely more stressful than the LSAT! I actually enjoy law school and am lucky enough to be near the top of the curve at a great school. If you are lower on the curve, or at a lower ranked school, I am sure things are even more stressful. my only point is that she is probably right not to believe that you won't be a stressball once school starts.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 pm

swc65 wrote:1. If you were going nuts over applications and studying for the LSAT, Law school is actually ten times worse. Everything (as in getting a job or being unemployed and becoming a regular on JDU) rides on the seven or eight grades you get in nine months. You study for months and kill yourself for a month (12 hours a day of practice tests everyday) before finals just to wait two months for grades to slowly trickle in (its like watching the slow march from fantasia while being so high that time has slowed to a crawl). For me, the process of exams and waiting for grades much more stressful and personality warping than LSAT -> waiting for score -> seeing score-> having a really good guess at where you will be going to school. At least with the LSAT you can retake it and they will take the highest score. Law school grades are permanent, all important (with a few exceptions nothing else really matters) and HALF THE CLASS IS BELOW MEDIAN. That means 1 out of 2 people will find their hopes and dreams shattered (they might still get a job, but Wachtell Skadden, the most prestigious PI/govt. jobs fly right out the window)!! Then while going through this process the second semester you have to beg and plead for jobs during your 1L summer! Think a few rejections from elite schools are bad? wait until you get rejected from 50 or shitty jobs that you normally wouldn't apply with someone else's resume!! Then in the middle of your summer you have to stress about your bid lists, whore yourself out at your school's OCI or EIP or EIW to twenty or more firms in four days, all of which want you to tell them how great they are and how happy you would be for them to allow you the pleasure of being their slave for a few years until you lateral into something you really want! Then you wait anxiously for call backs from just one of those firms because you're most likely NOT in the top 10%. Then you go to the one callback you have and spend all day at a firm looking at their posh downtown offices just hoping that they will pay you a ton of money even though you are worthless rising 2L. Then 2L starts and shit is a breeze......

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:20 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
swc65 wrote:1. If you were going nuts over applications and studying for the LSAT, Law school is actually ten times worse. Everything (as in getting a job or being unemployed and becoming a regular on JDU) rides on the seven or eight grades you get in nine months. You study for months and kill yourself for a month (12 hours a day of practice tests everyday) before finals just to wait two months for grades to slowly trickle in (its like watching the slow march from fantasia while being so high that time has slowed to a crawl). For me, the process of exams and waiting for grades much more stressful and personality warping than LSAT -> waiting for score -> seeing score-> having a really good guess at where you will be going to school. At least with the LSAT you can retake it and they will take the highest score. Law school grades are permanent, all important (with a few exceptions nothing else really matters) and HALF THE CLASS IS BELOW MEDIAN. That means 1 out of 2 people will find their hopes and dreams shattered (they might still get a job, but Wachtell Skadden, the most prestigious PI/govt. jobs fly right out the window)!! Then while going through this process the second semester you have to beg and plead for jobs during your 1L summer! Think a few rejections from elite schools are bad? wait until you get rejected from 50 or shitty jobs that you normally wouldn't apply with someone else's resume!! Then in the middle of your summer you have to stress about your bid lists, whore yourself out at your school's OCI or EIP or EIW to twenty or more firms in four days, all of which want you to tell them how great they are and how happy you would be for them to allow you the pleasure of being their slave for a few years until you lateral into something you really want! Then you wait anxiously for call backs from just one of those firms because you're most likely NOT in the top 10%. Then you go to the one callback you have and spend all day at a firm looking at their posh downtown offices just hoping that they will pay you a ton of money even though you are worthless rising 2L. Then 2L starts and shit is a breeze......

NICE.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Dear Ding Bar-ers,

please don't kill the ding bar by derailing it. Not to be 'that guy', but I love this thread precisely because it's not a thread for bleeding hearts or sensitivity. This is the thread for being cynical, bitter, and creatively concealing your disappointment by pretending the LS's that rejected us were beneath us anyway for several made-up and/or very real reasons.

now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

Columbia,
I didn't even applied to you until I got a random-ass fee waiver after all my apps were out. I looked at it like finding a lottery ticket in a parking lot, and holding on to it just to see what happens...
I was not surprised to see ur ultra-thin letter in my mail box today, but you could have at least spelled my name right. Ur school is pretentious, NYC is too expensive, and my friends used to buy weed on ur campus.
If our paths never cross again, it'll be too soon.

GOF.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:18 pm

girlonfire wrote:Dear Ding Bar-ers,

please don't kill the ding bar by derailing it. Not to be 'that guy', but I love this thread precisely because it's not a thread for bleeding hearts or sensitivity. This is the thread for being cynical, bitter, and creatively concealing your disappointment by pretending the LS's that rejected us were beneath us anyway for several made-up and/or very real reasons.

This. It is also not a place for 1Ls reading TT to comment about how the person dinged from said 1L's school should stop talking about their school. This is a place to make a joke, laugh, and move on and if the applicants really felt abrasive to the school they wouldn't have applied there.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:22 pm

DeeCee wrote:

This. It is also not a place for 1Ls reading TT to comment about how the person dinged from said 1L's school should stop talking about their school. This is a place to make a joke, laugh, and move on and if the applicants really felt abrasive to the school they wouldn't have applied there.

DeeCee,
--ImageRemoved--

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:51 pm

DeeCee wrote:

If this is directed at me (though I don't think it is because I never told anyone to stop talking about my school, hell, I trash it all the time- worthless TTTT), sorry for derailing your thread.

I echo what girlonfire wrote- if they denied you it's because they don't want you to come to their school because then they'd have to feel the jealousy they felt when they read your app every friggin day!!

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Dear Richmond,

Joke's on you, sucka.

Love,
kjadkins

boozehound

Postby boozehound » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Dear WUSTL,

I just received your ding letter, and I must say I am shocked. I knew Washington University was in St. Louis....but I never knew St. Louis is in Missouri. WTF?!

Sincerely,
boozehound

EDIT: I was not dinged by WUSTL (yet). I'm just practicing my DING BAR material.
Last edited by boozehound on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

swc65 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

If this is directed at me (though I don't think it is because I never told anyone to stop talking about my school, hell, I trash it all the time- worthless TTTT), sorry for derailing your thread.

I echo what girlonfire wrote- if they denied you it's because they don't want you to come to their school because then they'd have to feel the jealousy they felt when they read your app every friggin day!!

No, my personal comment was not directed at you. I was actually recalling a particular person from several months ago (when I joined) who went back and forth with someone on here about their school. It was extremely annoying and everyone tried to tell the 1L/2L starting the shitstorm that the thread was all in good fun, but they were still upset about it. I haven't seen anyone do that in a while, but I thought I'd add and it wasn't directed at anyone (at this time)

ETA: Now I'm derailing. Plz carry on, I'm ready for some good reading. :)
Last edited by DeeCee on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

girlonfire wrote:DeeCee,

highfive.jpg

High-fiveing you back!

fish52

Postby fish52 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Dear Tulane,

My stats were above both your medians, I'm glad I won't be there to inflate your averages. Also, you're half the school you were 20 years ago, and you're one hurricane away from getting swept back out to the Gulf. I'll start doing a rain dance.

Love,

Longhorn88

ps. You have a junior college football team.

That's fucked up dude. As someone from New Orleans who lost a lot in Katrina, I can't help but wonder if your lack of maturity and perspective is why you got dinged.

Oh yeah, and Tulane does suck.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 pm

fish52 wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:Dear Tulane,

My stats were above both your medians, I'm glad I won't be there to inflate your averages. Also, you're half the school you were 20 years ago, and you're one hurricane away from getting swept back out to the Gulf. I'll start doing a rain dance.

Love,

Longhorn88

ps. You have a junior college football team.

That's fucked up dude. As someone from New Orleans who lost a lot in Katrina, I can't help but wonder if your lack of maturity and perspective is why you got dinged.

Oh yeah, and Tulane does suck.

--ImageRemoved--

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:15 pm

boozehound wrote:Dear WUSTL,

I just received your ding letter, and I must say I am shocked. I knew Washington University was in St. Louis....but I never knew St. Louis is in Missouri. WTF?!

Sincerely,
boozehound

Today is Saturday. Sunday comes afterwards.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
boozehound wrote:Dear WUSTL,

Sincerely,
boozehound

Today is Saturday. Sunday comes afterwards.

This thread is THE DING BAR,

this link goes to lounge viewforum.php?f=10

fish52

Postby fish52 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Dear Haaaaaavard,
Thanks for the ding. I won't lie and say that I didn't want to get in, but I also won't lie and say that I had any interest in actually going to your law school. The only thing going for you is the lay prestige, the advantage of which is heavily outweighed by your universal reputation as a school full of douches. The ability to name-drop HLS at a cocktail party, bar, gas station, office water cooler, family reunion, high school reunion, high school facebook page, pedestrian stop light, airport.. (if it seems like I'm saying your grads won't STFU about how cool they are for going to Harvard, it's because they won't), doesn't compensate for having to live in that frozen shit-hole of a city. When people think of annoying Americans, they think of Bostonians, and for good reason. And when people think of miserable students, they think of Harvard, as backed up by multiple student surveys. I shouldn't have even applied after I found out a kid I knew from high school was auto-admitted in November. He is an arrogant, judgmental, under-educated evangelical prick who has done absolutely nothing of note inside or outside of the classroom, but went to an embarrassingly easy (and barely accredited) religious undergrad and lucked into a great LSAT score. I guess this is fitting for the least holistic, least interesting, least deserving #-whore of a school in the t14.

I'd say rot in Hell....but let's be honest, you're in Boston, and that's even worse.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:37 pm

fish52 wrote:Dear Haaaaaavard,
Thanks for the ding. I won't lie and say that I didn't want to get in, but I also won't lie and say that I had any interest in actually going to your law school. The only thing going for you is the lay prestige, the advantage of which is heavily outweighed by your universal reputation as a school full of douches. The ability to name-drop HLS at a cocktail party, bar, gas station, office water cooler, family reunion, high school reunion, high school facebook page, pedestrian stop light, airport.. (if it seems like I'm saying your grads won't STFU about how cool they are for going to Harvard, it's because they won't), doesn't compensate for having to live in that frozen shit-hole of a city. When people think of annoying Americans, they think of Bostonians, and for good reason. And when people think of miserable students, they think of Harvard, as backed up by multiple student surveys. I shouldn't have even applied after I found out a kid I knew from high school was auto-admitted in November. He is an arrogant, judgmental, under-educated evangelical prick who has done absolutely nothing of note inside or outside of the classroom, but went to an embarrassingly easy (and barely accredited) religious undergrad and lucked into a great LSAT score. I guess this is fitting for the least holistic, least interesting, least deserving #-whore of a school in the t14.

I'd say rot in Hell....but let's be honest, you're in Boston, and that's even worse.

nice!!

Keeper1125

Postby Keeper1125 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Dear U Chicago,

Do you like apples?

Regards,
Havahd

p.s. lol

Eponymous

Postby Eponymous » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 pm

jrose5 wrote:Dear UChicago...

...your admissions committee sucks and has poor organizational skills. If you decide to accept everyone ahead of a certain date, stop taking applications.

Of course, Chicago, one cannot help but admire your talent for creating almost-erotic suspense.

Ahhh, our dewy-eyed hope and shallow-breathed expectation, as we all waited for the promised review "early in the week" and then the forthcoming "decisions." Yes, we knew that Monday notifications were an unrealistic hope... Yet, there you are : hope we did. Tuesday seemed not entirely out of the question... But, alas, no word. We all grouped together, hive-mind fashion, and communed... pleasant, internet-based thoughts and supportive internet comments... We all agreed that you were taking a bit more time than you had seemed (so ambiguously, so coy-ly, so almost shy-ly) to promise you would take... But we all knew that you were just being, like, you know (demure, downcast eyes and half-smile... looking upward at you through half-closed lashes), just VERY, VERY careful. You were taking your time, making sure that the match would be right. (Oh, so many beautiful feet on which to try the fit of that lovely glass slipper...)

And so, Chicago, we all fretted and chafed, but only gently. We knew that if we were Chosen, it would be just all so RIGHT, so very, very PERFECT. And if we were not chosen, well, at least we had the consolation of knowing that you had really considered each of us. You were taking the time to read and consider with such solicitude. You were being an outlier, just as your web page says. No auto-admits or auto-dings from you. No, Dearest Chicago... You were deeper than that, more careful, more sensitive.

As time went by (Wednesday... Thursday morning... Thursday afternoon...), we took comfort in knowing that the wait would be worth it. You NEEDED that extra time...

&%%$^)*^(&&@!@())*& THE FUCK ????????????? %$@@#%((&^%^^%%$#@!!%^&%%$#

You needed all these extra weeks and days and hours to "finalize decisions." Duh-whuhhhh ? WHAT DECISIONS ???? What was all the suspense about ? You took all that time to do what? To go through a stack of application folders marked "not yet decided" in order to carefully place each one in a stack marked "reject/soft reject" ????

So, since no one at all seems to have been admitted, despite all your seductive talk of "final reviews," what was all that time about? It took you that long to figure out what font to use?

You are a cad, Chicago! Worse than a cad! You are a lover who promised that the wait would be long, but the results would be fine... Yet, it turns out that in all the time that you were whispering and come-hither-ing, you KNEW that you would not and could not deliver! There were no acceptances left! The glass slippers had all been promised to others!!! All of them!

In short, Dearest Chicago... You are not only impotent, but you are also an out-LIAR! Add that to your web page, why doncha ?

... with a melancholy, but resigned, sad little smile...

An Older and Wiser Eponymous

JFo

Postby JFo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Eponymous wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Dear UChicago...

...your admissions committee sucks and has poor organizational skills. If you decide to accept everyone ahead of a certain date, stop taking applications.

Of course, Chicago, one cannot help but admire your talent for creating almost-erotic suspense...

Okay. I do love Chicago, but this is amazing. And true...

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Eponymous wrote:... with a melancholy, but resigned, sad little smile...

Epic. Well done, sir.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:12 pm

WUSTL,

Your school is VASTLY overrated.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”