THE DING BAR Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kkklick

Silver

Re: THE DING BAR

Post by kkklick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 am

^^Haha, I think she means if you have a 3.9-4.0/170-179 they judge the rest of your app to separate applicants. Plus they want your application fee because for people like us $70-90 fee (whatever it is) for 5 minutes of the adcomms time to scan the number and toss out the app is a pretty good return on the time investment.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

kkklick wrote:^^Haha, I think she means if you have a 3.9-4.0/170-179 they judge the rest of your app to separate applicants. Plus they want your application fee because for people like us $70-90 fee (whatever it is) for 5 minutes of the adcomms time to scan the number and toss out the app is a pretty good return on the time investment.
This isn't an appropriate place to go in depth about this, but I think adcoms try to use the numbers as convenient way to weed out unqualified applicants. So if an applicant is SOMEWHAT in range, I think you're good to go for at least a CONSIDERATION. For CCN, I'd change the 3.9-4.0 to 3.3-4.0 and the 170-179 to 160-180.

ak13

New

Post by ak13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 am

kkklick wrote:^^Haha, I think she means if you have a 3.9-4.0/170-179 they judge the rest of your app to separate applicants. Plus they want your application fee because for people like us $70-90 fee (whatever it is) for 5 minutes of the adcomms time to scan the number and toss out the app is a pretty good return on the time investment.
precisely my conclusion. to quote mr. c. montgomery burns: i think i'd be happier with the (70) dollar(s).

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 am

My ranges are too restricted, yours are too wide, I'd wager they're somewhere in between. Either way this is turning into a conversation that I want no part of and I definately don't want to derail the beautiful ding thread.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:58 am

lolschool2011 wrote:Dear Georgetown Adcoms,

I'm onto you, but to your (perhaps only) credit, you really haven't tried that hard to disguise the following fact....

This fact is that you're a business center, and you're operating under the guise of law school, created to support the hundreds of 200k+/yr Ivy Prof salaries, along with the trustees who had the good sense to develop the Georgetown brand in this nation's capital and sell it for 50k a year the droves of naive who are still seduced by the failing pretenses of your institution.

Here's an analogy for you: Your victims/students function like the tax payer in the sub prime collapse, with you being the major banks that are too big to fail, and the shady brokers being your professors. Your ranking is the advertising designed to keep this entire racket afloat.

If we can be honest for a moment, I think we'd all agree that a more apropos motto for your school isn't "Law is but the means — Justice is the end," but instead, "Law is but the means — profit is the end." And if we continued being honest, I suspect even Cooley is making fun of you with their own sarcastic ranking system.

I think I made the error of adressing systemic risk and more effective regulation in my personal statement, which was a clear threat to the very model your business (sorry, "law center") relies on, so I'm ultimately not surprised by your not accepting me into your Ponzi scheme. I'm sure glad you didn't, but just so we're clear, even if you had, I would not have enrolled in your business. No sir.

Had I been accepted, here's how the conversation with a friend would have went...

Lol: "What up bud... yeah I'm just going to keep working and complete a part time evening JD in the city w/some scholarship... I was accepted to Georgetown, but who the fuck wants to take on 180k of debt to make 40k afterwards in DC... thanks, but no thanks, lol."

How the conversation will go now...

Friend: "Hey lolschool, who gives a shit about them, that's awesome you're staying in town.... lets go to Vegas for March madness since you have (and will continue to have) so much extra money from keeping your professional day job. BTW, you know I forgot to mention this when you were applying to curious georgetown, but I googled them and there are 5,389,023,985 hits about how much of a TTTT diploma mill they are... what does that even mean dude?"

Lolschool: "Haha, who knows, and who cares... I'm glad I won't ever have to find out."

Good luck next quarter Gtown, hope your profits remain strong.

Cheers,

LOL
Classic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:33 am

Hey-O wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:Dear Georgetown Adcoms,

I'm onto you, but to your (perhaps only) credit, you really haven't tried that hard to disguise the following fact....

This fact is that you're a business center, and you're operating under the guise of law school, created to support the hundreds of 200k+/yr Ivy Prof salaries, along with the trustees who had the good sense to develop the Georgetown brand in this nation's capital and sell it for 50k a year the droves of naive who are still seduced by the failing pretenses of your institution.

Here's an analogy for you: Your victims/students function like the tax payer in the sub prime collapse, with you being the major banks that are too big to fail, and the shady brokers being your professors. Your ranking is the advertising designed to keep this entire racket afloat.

If we can be honest for a moment, I think we'd all agree that a more apropos motto for your school isn't "Law is but the means — Justice is the end," but instead, "Law is but the means — profit is the end." And if we continued being honest, I suspect even Cooley is making fun of you with their own sarcastic ranking system.

I think I made the error of adressing systemic risk and more effective regulation in my personal statement, which was a clear threat to the very model your business (sorry, "law center") relies on, so I'm ultimately not surprised by your not accepting me into your Ponzi scheme. I'm sure glad you didn't, but just so we're clear, even if you had, I would not have enrolled in your business. No sir.

Had I been accepted, here's how the conversation with a friend would have went...

Lol: "What up bud... yeah I'm just going to keep working and complete a part time evening JD in the city w/some scholarship... I was accepted to Georgetown, but who the fuck wants to take on 180k of debt to make 40k afterwards in DC... thanks, but no thanks, lol."

How the conversation will go now...

Friend: "Hey lolschool, who gives a shit about them, that's awesome you're staying in town.... lets go to Vegas for March madness since you have (and will continue to have) so much extra money from keeping your professional day job. BTW, you know I forgot to mention this when you were applying to curious georgetown, but I googled them and there are 5,389,023,985 hits about how much of a TTTT diploma mill they are... what does that even mean dude?"

Lolschool: "Haha, who knows, and who cares... I'm glad I won't ever have to find out."

Good luck next quarter Gtown, hope your profits remain strong.

Cheers,

LOL
Classic.
+1

Also, GW Law, fuck you for waitlisting me. At first I was angry at your soft rejection, but now I realize how much it would suck to go to law school with a bunch of bitter, insecure people who got rejected from an overrated TTT diploma mill and will have that chip on their shoulder forever. No thanks.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:09 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Dear Cornell:

Fine, waitlist me. I wrote my "Why?" essay about your most famous alumni, who also happens to be the worst paper salesman in Scranton, PA. Ithaca is freezing, your name makes you sound like you should be based in Iowa, and literally no one outside your PR department knows that you are part of the Ivy League.

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself seconds before I applied to your law school, but I would probably get eaten by a dinosaur.

Insincerely,
Semper
Lol, being from Iowa, I appreciate this. There actually is a school called Cornell College in small-town Mt. Vernon, Iowa.

http://www.cornellcollege.edu/

Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Post by Jackson Pollock » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

This thread always makes me laugh. Lot of talented writers in here. :D

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Dearest CUA,

Thank you for the wonderfully presented form letter. It was a pleasure to shred.

Sincerely,

Shani J.P. Bullshit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LilMonsterAnnie

Bronze

Post by LilMonsterAnnie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:31 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Hey Northwestern,

Chicago is cold, and I prefer my politics to be at least as clean as those of the state of Louisiana.

Jacketman03
Ahhh,..very nice!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Dear Fordham,

Waitlist, huh? You dont care, I dont care, so its whatever. I withdrew before you had time to send me an email. I had almost forgotten about my application, so I'm sorry you had to waste those man-hours to not come to a decision. Sucks for you I guess.

Deuces bitches!

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:12 pm

Dear George Mason,

I like how you guys put up such a retarded page limit for your PS, which makes most people just shorten their original PS and make them fit into your mold. I'm surprised that I got dinged by you (a backup school btw), but I think if you guys are more serious about getting to know an applicant, you won't mind reading a real PS.

Regards.

BTW, you'll be ranked in the 40s for ever, so live with that.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am

no clever remarks here...
3.67 169

denied:
Penn, Michigan, UVA, Northwestern, GULC, Vandy

WL:Minnesota, Illinois, George Mason, CU, Fordham, Cardoza, Cornell(deferred)

3+ plus months with no response: BU, W&M, Duke, UW, WUSTL

I just needed to vent

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 am

tepper wrote:Dear George Mason,

I like how you guys put up such a retarded page limit for your PS, which makes most people just shorten their original PS and make them fit into your mold. I'm surprised that I got dinged by you (a backup school btw), but I think if you guys are more serious about getting to know an applicant, you won't mind reading a real PS.

Regards.

BTW, you'll be ranked in the 40s for ever, so live with that.
Exactly, what part of SAFETY don't they understand?

I got admitted, but thank you for that, tepper. I may WD just on the basis of that stupid PS rule. I HAD SO MUCH MORE TO SAY!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 am

dreakol wrote:no clever remarks here...
3.67 169

denied:

I just needed to vent
You need to more than vent. You need to break some shit up. That shit ain't right? I feel ya dawg. You must have mispelled attorny or something.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 am

3.67 169

denied:

I just needed to vent.... NOT! I'm just fucking with you, I was hungover when I got that 169. I'm going to retake, get 176+ and then enjoy Columbia.
Weird glitch... some of your text didn't appear for a moment there. ;)

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19 am

lolschool2011 wrote:
3.67 169

denied:

I just needed to vent.... NOT! I'm just fucking with you, I was hungover when I got that 169. I'm going to retake, get 176+ and then enjoy Columbia.
Well played, lol. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 am

lolschool2011 wrote:
3.67 169

denied:

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 am

Dreakol are you in anywhere? Tough cycle you may have made an error on your PS?

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 am

kkklick wrote:Dreakol are you in anywhere? Tough cycle you may have made an error on your PS?

Yeah, I got a few bites.

I sent the same PS to every school so I cannot imagine that being it.

tbh, I do have a DUI and my GPA dropped from a 3.7 to 3.55 this last year (though they only saw the drop to a 3.67 so that cant be it since it went from a 3.67 to a 3.55 first semester of senior year)

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:32 am

kublaikahn wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
3.67 169

denied:

Well played, lol. :lol:

lol....I'd love to hang out with you guys in law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm

dreakol wrote:
kkklick wrote:Dreakol are you in anywhere? Tough cycle you may have made an error on your PS?

Yeah, I got a few bites.

I sent the same PS to every school so I cannot imagine that being it.

tbh, I do have a DUI and my GPA dropped from a 3.7 to 3.55 this last year (though they only saw the drop to a 3.67 so that cant be it since it went from a 3.67 to a 3.55 first semester of senior year)
idk if this makes a difference...I know people with lower scores who got into better schools. I'm sorry about your cycle :( :(
Where are you in?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:04 pm

dreakol wrote: I do have a DUI
As someone with a not totally clean past, my sympathies go out to you. Strangely criminal violations can be expunged, and written off a lot easier, but motor vehicle violations are permanent and harder to addendum up.

I sincerely hope you end up in a good post-graduation situation and the fact that you understand how confusing and frightening the legal system helps you attract clients.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 pm

If it makes you feel any better dreakol, my cycle also sucks.
Waitlisted everywhere so far, no rejections or acceptances. Multiple lsat, 174/3.30.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm

dear VILLANOVA!

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU WAITLISTED ME!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Ive been doing a victory dance ever since i opened up your email! In lieu of your ethical transgressions, being waitlisted and told to pursue other options is a victory! Im not on the same ethical wavelength as your school. I didnt lie on my application, my numbers were pretty close, and you took a pass. I guess this is what it feels like to turn down the devils promise! 1234 you felt the paise of the whistle blow! 456, you can go and lick my stick 789- watch out for the ramifications as they come down the line

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREATEST NEWS EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
now i dont have to waste my time writing you a letter to take a pass on your seat
YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victory Dancin' all night
Northwood

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”