THE DING BAR Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lhlee

Bronze

Re: THE DING BAR

Post by lhlee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:35 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:WOW!...in a matter of five minutes of reading these last few posts GW went from being my first choice to being a school I dont even want to go to. This website has too much influence over my life.
Success!

gwlaw2012

New

Post by gwlaw2012 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:11 pm

boilerup89 wrote:
valengina wrote:Dearest Alma mater,

I realized your associate dean for admissions was unimpressed with me at GW's very own law school fair, where, after introducing myself, she immediately asked me what I'd scored on the LSAT and then made sure I was applying to other schools in the DC area (i.e. American and George Mason, not GeorgeTTTown, who was actually interested enough to interview me) if I wanted to stick around. I can't help thinking that the admissions committee's review of my application was a sorry, formulaic repetition of the associate dean's warm and encouraging approach to greeting law school fair passerby: grimace at LSAT, reject, continue to hopelessly sift through piles of LSATs - I mean, applicants - that would help GW crawl up the rankings, if only those people didn't just apply to have the luxury of a DC safety tucked away in their mailbox.

Thank you, at the very least, for taking the time to "commend" me on my "many academic and personal achievements." I'm sure you got to the part of my resume that proves I've helped man four GW offices; the two LORs written by GW faculty; the line on my GW transcript that states I've graduated with Special Honors.

No, I'm not a special snowflake. But your cold rejection email was right about one thing: "Given the strength of your application, we have no doubt that you will be offered admission to a number of fine law schools."

Never mind the fact that its pathetic your inferiority complex is centered around a school that teeters on the brink of T14 status; if you want so desperately to be Georgetown maybe you could settle for tricking political junkies (those of which I've had enough of, thankyouverymuch) by renaming your prized institution the George Washington University Law Center.

Sincerely,
Don't expect any endowments.
I had the exact same experience when talking to an admissions officer at the chicago LSAC forum last year. I mentioned the name George Mason (god forbid) somewhere in my conversation and I was literally stopped mid-sentence and told that that GW was in a "different class" than GM and that basically if i was even considering such a school I wasn't GW material.

The smugness and superiority-complex enraged me. I actually wrote about it in a "why I want to go to X law school" optional essay. There is no law school I detest more than GW, definitely don't feel at a loss.
I doubt anyone was rude to you when you mentioned George Mason, the dean of admissions worked there and would never be rude about any school, let alone one I've heard her speak of highly.

To the poster who thinks GW should've bowed down to you, I have an interesting personal experience for you: a GW alum, I was rejected with a form letter. There are 10,000+ applications, that's just life. I knew I wanted to go there, I got my LSAT up, and I applied again and will graduate next year. Hope you didn't actually send that letter, I think once you think about it and get some perspective at some point, you'll see you were not wronged.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:17 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:
boilerup89 wrote:

I realized your associate dean for admissions was unimpressed with me at GW's very own law school fair, where, after introducing myself, she immediately asked me what I'd scored on the LSAT and then made sure I was applying to other schools in the DC area (i.e. American and George Mason, not GeorgeTTTown, who was actually interested enough to interview me) if I wanted to stick around. I can't help thinking that the admissions committee's review of my application was a sorry, formulaic repetition of the associate dean's warm and encouraging approach to greeting law school fair passerby: grimace at LSAT, reject, continue to hopelessly sift through piles of LSATs - I mean, applicants - that would help GW crawl up the rankings, if only those people didn't just apply to have the luxury of a DC safety tucked away in their mailbox.

Thank you, at the very least, for taking the time to "commend" me on my "many academic and personal achievements." I'm sure you got to the part of my resume that proves I've helped man four GW offices; the two LORs written by GW faculty; the line on my GW transcript that states I've graduated with Special Honors.

No, I'm not a special snowflake. But your cold rejection email was right about one thing: "Given the strength of your application, we have no doubt that you will be offered admission to a number of fine law schools."

Never mind the fact that its pathetic your inferiority complex is centered around a school that teeters on the brink of T14 status; if you want so desperately to be Georgetown maybe you could settle for tricking political junkies (those of which I've had enough of, thankyouverymuch) by renaming your prized institution the George Washington University Law Center.

Sincerely,
I had the exact same experience when talking to an admissions officer at the chicago LSAC forum last year. I mentioned the name George Mason (god forbid) somewhere in my conversation and I was literally stopped mid-sentence and told that that GW was in a "different class" than GM and that basically if i was even considering such a school I wasn't GW material.

The smugness and superiority-complex enraged me. I actually wrote about it in a "why I want to go to X law school" optional essay. There is no law school I detest more than GW, definitely don't feel at a loss.
I doubt anyone was rude to you when you mentioned George Mason, the dean of admissions worked there and would never be rude about any school, let alone one I've heard her speak of highly.

To the poster who thinks GW should've bowed down to you, I have an interesting personal experience for you: a GW alum, I was rejected with a form letter. There are 10,000+ applications, that's just life. I knew I wanted to go there, I got my LSAT up, and I applied again and will graduate next year. Hope you didn't actually send that letter, I think once you think about it and get some perspective at some point, you'll see you were not wronged.
I think you missed the point of this thread. Although some users may be harsh in their submissions, the original purpose outlined in the initial pages is to detail what "makes that school suspect," or jokingly why you wouldn't want to go there; obviously, this ENCOURAGES a post-rejection bias.

MillerTime

Bronze

Post by MillerTime » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:Hope you didn't actually send that letter, I think once you think about it and get some perspective at some point, you'll see you were not wronged.
This is the ding bar - the whole point is to express exaggerated frustration. She posted on the forum to vent, not as a draft of a letter to be sent to the admissions office. I thought it was a very well crafted and creative ding bar post and I give it the coveted +1.

Lastly, every party has a pooper, and that pooper is you.

gwlaw2012

New

Post by gwlaw2012 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 pm

I feel your pain, I've been there. But quit being such a baby - I hope you didn't actually send that letter. 10,000+ apply and there's just a lot of rejections. I was an alum with great letters and softs and no one handed me anything. As disappointed as I was, I wasn't pissed off and blaming others, I tried harder and got in a later cycle because I knew that's where I wanted to go. Either try again another time or enroll somewhere else - whatever you choose, it will be where you're supposed to go.

Sincerely,

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 pm

People keep missing the whole point of this wonderful thread.

Attention: If you're arguing with anyone in this thread, you're doing it wrong.

gwlaw2012

New

Post by gwlaw2012 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 pm

evandm wrote:
gwlaw2012 wrote:Hope you didn't actually send that letter, I think once you think about it and get some perspective at some point, you'll see you were not wronged.
This is the ding bar - the whole point is to express exaggerated frustration. She posted on the forum to vent, not as a draft of a letter to be sent to the admissions office. I thought it was a very well crafted and creative ding bar post and I give it the coveted +1.

Whatever. I literally have been in his/her shoes. Didn't realize it was a venting letter, thought they really sent it. But still gave good advice -- don't feel like you were owed something you weren't, that'll get you nowhere. And try again or go enjoy somewhere else.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:27 pm

I feel your pain, I've been there. But quit being such a baby - I hope you didn't actually send that letter. 10,000+ apply and there's just a lot of rejections. I was an alum with great letters and softs and no one handed me anything. As disappointed as I was, I wasn't pissed off and blaming others, I tried harder and got in a later cycle because I knew that's where I wanted to go. Either try again another time or enroll somewhere else - whatever you choose, it will be where you're supposed to go.
:lol: :lol:

Agree with Adjudicator.

Uninformed reply is uniformed. :lol: :lol:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:27 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:I feel your pain, I've been there. But quit being such a baby
The whole point of this thread is to blow off a little steam, to experience a cathartic reversal of the roles played in a rejection by a law school, with the rejected applicant in turn rejecting the school by calling out its faults and flaws.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:30 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:
evandm wrote:

Whatever. I literally have been in his/her shoes. Didn't realize it was a venting letter, thought they really sent it. But still gave good advice -- don't feel like you were owed something you weren't, that'll get you nowhere. And try again or go enjoy somewhere else.
No, you didn't, at least not in the context of this thread. Your advice would be solid in any other thread, and definitely a great attitude to take. However, I mean this in the nicest way possible: please look back at the first few posts; you'll realize that you're missing the entire point of this thread.

paisaaa

Bronze

Post by paisaaa » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:
evandm wrote:

The post was intended to be in good fun, humor, etc. I was surprised at the rejection only after I'd been admitted to Berkeley, Michigan and Cornell (all completely unexpected, let alone "owed" when I sent out the applications in October).

I'm a big fan of the ding bar and TLS in general and wanted to contribute when I got the chance to.

GL to all.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Someone, help me come up with some good material to use against Columbia when they inevitably ding me... who knows how long I've got to prepare.

What's the dirt on Columbia?

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 pm

post deleted
Last edited by Redsgomarchingon on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwlaw2012

New

Post by gwlaw2012 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Agree with Adjudicator.

Uninformed reply is uniformed. :lol: :lol:
There is a difference between uninformed and not giving a shit.

Oooh, I've defaced the DING BAR thread! Not that!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Well I didn't want to be mean and say the reply was stupid.

It is UNINFORMED because you clearly don't understand the context of this thread.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I have one from last cycle

Dinged from University of Miami

Upset I missed out on the ridiculously high tuition and dismal job prospects. Myeh, who needs a beach anyway?

gwlaw2012

New

Post by gwlaw2012 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I guess I would've understood your fake anger better had you not sounded like GW wronged you so and also if it was your dream law school, but you've bashed it saying better school accepted you so you obviously don't think so highly of the school, so again, just not getting it I guess. Sounds like you got into great places, you'll no doubt love law school. Yes, GL to all in going where you want to be.

valengina wrote:
gwlaw2012 wrote:
evandm wrote:

The post was intended to be in good fun, humor, etc. I was surprised at the rejection only after I'd been admitted to Berkeley, Michigan and Cornell (all completely unexpected, let alone "owed" when I sent out the applications in October).

I'm a big fan of the ding bar and TLS in general and wanted to contribute when I got the chance to.

GL to all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Dear Regent,

What? Really? After all the overtures you made - all the emails, all the phone calls - this is how you respond?

You said you were keeping an eye out for my application, Regent. You said you had scholarship money waiting for me; all I had to do was apply and you would be mine (or, I would be yours, I guess?)

You know, if you weren't such a good little christian school, I'd have thought you wanted more from me than just an application. Then again, maybe you did, and it was my repeated failure to respond to your signals that finally turned you off. Was that it? Did I play too hard to get?

We could have had a lot of fun, you and me, Regent. We could have spent three years together, studying law, going to church... um... praying?... I don't know, whatever it is you do when you go to the law school with a unique christian perspective. Yeah, we could totally have gone all-out Jesusy on and/or with each other, Regent.

But now this. How could you?

No, really - how could you reject me? I didn't even apply.

Well, have a good life, I guess,

fundamentallybroken

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:53 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:
There is a difference between uninformed and not giving a shit.

Oooh, I've defaced the DING BAR thread! Not that!

Ladies and Gentlemen Boo this (wo)man.

Just admit you made a mistake rather than adopting a false cavalier attitude.

To restore the tone:

Dearest Rutgers Camden:

Last year when I was but a lowly sophomore you notified me of acceptance and a full scholarship. This year with a higher LSAT, senior status, and most importantly HAVING APPLIED TO YOUR SCHOOL you decide not to grace me with admittance into the third-best law school in a state that somehow comes in third after Philly and NYC in a "Best State in the State of NJ Contest." Your governors fat, your football team was a "has-been" well before it was an "is," and your University President is a short alcoholic.

Also, a strand of chlamydiae is named after you.

Semper

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 pm

SemperLegal wrote: and your University President is a short alcoholic.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You say that like it's a bad thing.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:01 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
I beg your pardon. should read "and your short, alcoholic University President is a media whore."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 am

SemperLegal wrote:

Also, a strand of chlamydiae is named after you.
Classic

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 am

SemperLegal wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
I beg your pardon. should read "and your short, alcoholic University President is a media whore."
:lol: Oh Tricky Dick...

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:05 am

gwlaw2012 wrote:I guess I would've understood your fake anger better had you not sounded like GW wronged you so and also if it was your dream law school, but you've bashed it saying better school accepted you so you obviously don't think so highly of the school, so again, just not getting it I guess. Sounds like you got into great places, you'll no doubt love law school. Yes, GL to all in going where you want to be.
Read the last few pages of the thread, or at least the OP:
fonzerelli wrote:In this thread we retaliate by protesting what made XXX school somewhat suspect to begin with, and we're glad our decision was made that much easier by taking that ridiculous option off the table.

In fact, we didn't really care enough to try that hard. If we had sent version 4B from our personal statement library we definitely would have gotten in but who cares, I don't even care.

I'll start: Berkeley. Ding date: 01/14/10

Umm, I don't want to listen to global warming propaganda for three years anyway. I eat red meat. Back off peta, your toyota prius is burning dead animals too. Earthquakes. Too liberal. Volatile economy. Hippies. Whatever.

Valengina, that ding letter was awesome. +1.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 am

Is this thread appropriate for cycle related rants? or only for venting after dings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”