Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
$1.99

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby $1.99 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:04 am

can't go wrong with boalt despite all the boalt hating on TLS

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:16 am

$1.99 wrote:can't go wrong with boalt despite all the boalt hating on TLS

Agreed. Berkeley has some of the happiest law students, QOL in the bay area is amazing, and you can't go wrong especially if you know you want to work there long-term. (And even if you don't you'll be fine.)

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:06 am

As of Friday, I'm also in this club. No JR1. Will submit another LOR and LOCI and continue to hope that my softs will serve me well; for a number of reasons unrelated to the reputation of HLS (which doesn't hurt), Harvard is the best place for me.
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:39 am

justbluemyself wrote:for a number of reasons unrelated to the reputation of HLS (which doesn't hurt), Harvard is the best place for me.

yeah, I suspect they get a lot of that, though. I imagine they're more interested in whether admitting the student is best for them.

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:54 pm

soonergirl wrote:
justbluemyself wrote:for a number of reasons unrelated to the reputation of HLS (which doesn't hurt), Harvard is the best place for me.

yeah, I suspect they get a lot of that, though. I imagine they're more interested in whether admitting the student is best for them.

Thanks for filling me in! I really appreciate your constructive feedback.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

justbluemyself wrote:Thanks for filling me in! I really appreciate your constructive feedback.

my bad. carry on.

wishfulnyc

Postby wishfulnyc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:thankfully this nonsense will come to an end in a couple of weeks. then we can all interpreting the mysteries of the waitlist.
also, has anyone noticed that the numbers of the people getting held are starting to become a lot more "all over the place." it used to be that they followed a pretty standard pattern: for non-URMs 175+/3.75-3.5 or 168-171/3.85+.

Not clear what the pattern is. I'm held, non-URM <170, <3.8

Core

Postby Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:35 am

wishfulnyc wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:thankfully this nonsense will come to an end in a couple of weeks. then we can all interpreting the mysteries of the waitlist.
also, has anyone noticed that the numbers of the people getting held are starting to become a lot more "all over the place." it used to be that they followed a pretty standard pattern: for non-URMs 175+/3.75-3.5 or 168-171/3.85+.

Same. I'm held - 168/3.94, PR URM. I had a JR1 back in November, but I've heard nothing since. Hopefully tomorrow we see some movement... The anxiety is overwhelming...

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 am

this is nothing compared to columbia's process, cls does a better job of stringing along people by giving them false hope with their reserves, holds, and waitlists. at least harvard gives it to you straight in the end

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:32 am

$1.99 wrote:this is nothing compared to columbia's process, cls does a better job of stringing along people by giving them false hope with their reserves, holds, and waitlists. at least harvard gives it to you straight in the end

What do you mean? Columbia has a hold and a waitlist (called reserve). Harvard has a hold and a waitlist. Both schools have me on hold.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:40 am

columbia has a first reserve, reserve, and then a waitlist. a harvard hold will lead to a sure rejection, acceptance, or waitlist instead of making you go through the reserves and putting you in eternal limbo

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:30 am

$1.99 wrote:columbia has a first reserve, reserve, and then a waitlist. a harvard hold will lead to a sure rejection, acceptance, or waitlist instead of making you go through the reserves and putting you in eternal limbo

Columbia has hold, which I think is new this year and I was on, then reserve. They do first, second, and third reserve as stages through the waitlist. Meaning first reserve is first and is fairly large, then as people withdraw or accept they make that list much smaller and make the second reserve, then do it again for the third reserve...

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:59 am

Core wrote:
wishfulnyc wrote:

Same. I'm held - 168/3.94, PR URM. I had a JR1 back in November, but I've heard nothing since. Hopefully tomorrow we see some movement... The anxiety is overwhelming...

I don't follow the typical 'hold' pattern either. I don't even think held applicants' numbers even matter at this point.

jeeli

Postby jeeli » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:51 pm

in this club as of April 2nd. why do they even bother "holding" ppl this late in the cycle?

any theories?

SweetrollStealer

Postby SweetrollStealer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 pm

I got held via email on Friday. 3.5/175...I was expecting auto-rejection so I'm wondering what's going on. I guess I will send them an LOCI and updated grades. I have to send my deposit to Michigan by the 30th, though, so I'm hoping this doesn't take too long...

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 am

nhop wrote:I got held via email on Friday. 3.5/175...I was expecting auto-rejection so I'm wondering what's going on. I guess I will send them an LOCI and updated grades. I have to send my deposit to Michigan by the 30th, though, so I'm hoping this doesn't take too long...

HA

lta

Postby lta » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

I am desperately trying to revise my LOCI down to 1 page...

Anyone have any insight on whether it's ok to send a 2 pager if the substance is there??

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:06 pm

lta wrote:I am desperately trying to revise my LOCI down to 1 page...

Anyone have any insight on whether it's ok to send a 2 pager if the substance is there??

The substance isn't there.

HTH..

:), honestly though I doubt you have two pages worth of additional information. As a lawyer you will have to condense a lot of information into a little amount of space. Start doing it now.

Some will disagree and they may be right.

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:31 pm

I've been offered a $135,000 scholarship at Northwestern but am still held at Harvard. This may be a better question for Northwestern, but if at all possible, I'd like to avoid asking directly. If I accept Northwestern's offer, am I obligated to withdraw from Harvard (and Stanford, for that matter) before hearing back at all?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:33 pm

frankjones wrote:I've been offered a $135,000 scholarship at Northwestern but am still held at Harvard. This may be a better question for Northwestern, but if at all possible, I'd like to avoid asking directly. If I accept Northwestern's offer, am I obligated to withdraw from Harvard (and Stanford, for that matter) before hearing back at all?

I'm in the exact same situation as you, except I'm already rejected by Stanford. Wait, is this the deferred scholarship? My impression has been that I can submit the deposit by the April 30th deadline and not have to withdraw from those schools.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 pm

frankjones wrote:I've been offered a $135,000 scholarship at Northwestern but am still held at Harvard. This may be a better question for Northwestern, but if at all possible, I'd like to avoid asking directly. If I accept Northwestern's offer, am I obligated to withdraw from Harvard (and Stanford, for that matter) before hearing back at all?

Does the acceptance form say you should withdraw? You're only bound by what's spelled out on that form.

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 am

It's not the deferred one--just a normal one. The letter itself doesn't seem to spell it out, but I haven't checked Northwestern's online system for deposits (assuming they have one) to see if there is any language like that there. Assuming it's not, I'm still not totally sure I'm comfortable putting down a deposit and not withdrawing. It would be a disaster if all schools withdrew their offers...I may end up asking.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:01 am

frankjones wrote:It's not the deferred one--just a normal one. The letter itself doesn't seem to spell it out, but I haven't checked Northwestern's online system for deposits (assuming they have one) to see if there is any language like that there. Assuming it's not, I'm still not totally sure I'm comfortable putting down a deposit and not withdrawing. It would be a disaster if all schools withdrew their offers...I may end up asking.

Just call and ask, don't say your name or anything. They will tell you. Be sure and get the persons name you talk to though.

1armedscissor

Postby 1armedscissor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Unitas wrote:
frankjones wrote:It's not the deferred one--just a normal one. The letter itself doesn't seem to spell it out, but I haven't checked Northwestern's online system for deposits (assuming they have one) to see if there is any language like that there. Assuming it's not, I'm still not totally sure I'm comfortable putting down a deposit and not withdrawing. It would be a disaster if all schools withdrew their offers...I may end up asking.

Just call and ask, don't say your name or anything. They will tell you. Be sure and get the persons name you talk to though.

They could always check your number, so use Skype and you'll be entirely anonymous.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 pm

1armedscissor wrote:
Unitas wrote:

They could always check your number, so use Skype and you'll be entirely anonymous.

...or drive to another state and find a pay phone at an out-of-the-way spot just to be really safe. :roll: Seriously, even if you called from your own phone and identified yourself, I don't think the fact that you have a big scholly at another T14 that you're considering taking will hurt your chances at HLS. It might even make you seem like a more desirable applicant and increase them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”