Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby legalnoeagle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:32 pm

gatordude94 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote: Haha. I take it you guys are putting the probability of any of us getting accepted at, oh, about 0?


Yeah if JR is done with JR2s, it would be nice for him to fire up the WL email machine. No need to be radio silent for two more weeks.

Or maybe we'll all be admitted tomorrow. #wishfulthinking



Maybe if we kidnap the IT guy that presses 'send' on the WL listserv we can prolong the drama and continue commiserating in this thread. Any takers?

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Anyone other than me notice today's HLS acceptance on LSN?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27928
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:11 pm

Fuck you, Harvard?

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Core » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 pm

invisiblesun wrote:Anyone other than me notice today's HLS acceptance on LSN?

Yea, it's a fake.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Core wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Anyone other than me notice today's HLS acceptance on LSN?

Yea, it's a fake.

Proof/reasoning?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Core wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Anyone other than me notice today's HLS acceptance on LSN?

Yea, it's a fake.

Proof/reasoning?


Cause.. Just cause. :) I was gonna ask Core the same thing actually.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Core » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 pm

Unitas wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
Core wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:Anyone other than me notice today's HLS acceptance on LSN?

Yea, it's a fake.

Proof/reasoning?


Cause.. Just cause. :) I was gonna ask Core the same thing actually.

Haha, nobody applies to just Harvard and Stanford. The notes he put under additional info were pretty suspect, too.
Also, his account is no longer visible as a Harvard acceptance - at least for me.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Core wrote:Haha, nobody applies to just Harvard and Stanford. The notes he put under additional info were pretty suspect, too.
Also, his account is no longer visible as a Harvard acceptance - at least for me.


Yeah, fair enough, same with me. I also had my doubts, seeing as his user name was "CooleyHopeful" or something like that.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Now that I've been rejected by Stanford, I have more eggs in the Harvard basket. I hope JR appreciates the value of having an agent of the law school in the Harvard Business School Rugby Club!

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Now that I've been rejected by Stanford, I have more eggs in the Harvard basket. I hope JR appreciates the value of having an agent of the law school in the Harvard Business School Rugby Club!


Coal, I feel for you. Here's to hoping that there are more spots open than everyone seems to believe.

P.S. did anyone read in the Stanford thread that a reliable source said that SLS has about 80% of its admittances out? If Harvard is in a similar place, this would mean that we still had about 160 spots to go, which seems quite high- but it seems unlikely to me that SLS is at 80% and HLS is at 95+%, considering the new "hold" system and the number of people held.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 am

invisiblesun wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Now that I've been rejected by Stanford, I have more eggs in the Harvard basket. I hope JR appreciates the value of having an agent of the law school in the Harvard Business School Rugby Club!


Coal, I feel for you. Here's to hoping that there are more spots open than everyone seems to believe.

P.S. did anyone read in the Stanford thread that a reliable source said that SLS has about 80% of its admittances out? If Harvard is in a similar place, this would mean that we still had about 160 spots to go, which seems quite high- but it seems unlikely to me that SLS is at 80% and HLS is at 95+%, considering the new "hold" system and the number of people held.

When is Harvard's seat deposit deadline? Both Y and S have May 3 deadlines (quite late) and have late ASWs, and both schools are known to accept people well into the month of April. None of us are sure what Harvard is doing (with all of these holds and the new admissions dean), but Harvard typically isn't kind during the month of April (according to a quick LSN search). I can't imagine that HLS still has 160 acceptances left to dole out, but hopefully I'm wrong.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Now that I've been rejected by Stanford, I have more eggs in the Harvard basket. I hope JR appreciates the value of having an agent of the law school in the Harvard Business School Rugby Club!


Coal, I feel for you. Here's to hoping that there are more spots open than everyone seems to believe.

P.S. did anyone read in the Stanford thread that a reliable source said that SLS has about 80% of its admittances out? If Harvard is in a similar place, this would mean that we still had about 160 spots to go, which seems quite high- but it seems unlikely to me that SLS is at 80% and HLS is at 95+%, considering the new "hold" system and the number of people held.

When is Harvard's seat deposit deadline? Both Y and S have May 3 deadlines (quite late) and have late ASWs, and both schools are known to accept people well into the month of April. None of us are sure what Harvard is doing (with all of these holds and the new admissions dean), but Harvard typically isn't kind during the month of April (according to a quick LSN search). I can't imagine that HLS still has 160 acceptances left to dole out, but hopefully I'm wrong.


May 1st. And I also noticed that HLS isn't kind during April during previous years, but I have an inkling that the process is at least slightly postponed this year with the new hold procedure. I tried to look at this cycle compared to last cycle based on timeline, but so many people create profiles they never update, which renders the data borderline worthless for trying to figure out the timeline.

Also, I don't intend to argue that HLS has 160 spots open, but just that given the "hold" procedure, I doubt they're almost completely full whereas SLS still has 20% to go... maybe 50-100 spots might be accurate?

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby gymboree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:25 am

Does anyone know if the "on hold" group is something like Berkeley's Faculty Review? Are we waiting because our files are being read by a wider group of faculty, and then a smaller group will be referred back to JR for further JR1/2 action?

Does anyone know if Harvard involves faculty in decisions?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:31 am

gymboree wrote:Does anyone know if the "on hold" group is something like Berkeley's Faculty Review? Are we waiting because our files are being read by a wider group of faculty, and then a smaller group will be referred back to JR for further JR1/2 action?

Does anyone know if Harvard involves faculty in decisions?


We have no way of knowing for sure, but in JR's post he made no mention of involving faculty in regards to holds.

This is complete conjecture, but any chance Harvard is expecting to move into the number one spot in the rankings? This would explain why they are offering less seats if they expect to move up and that could make more people who got into Yale also choose Harvard over Yale.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 am

Unitas wrote:
gymboree wrote:Does anyone know if the "on hold" group is something like Berkeley's Faculty Review? Are we waiting because our files are being read by a wider group of faculty, and then a smaller group will be referred back to JR for further JR1/2 action?

Does anyone know if Harvard involves faculty in decisions?


We have no way of knowing for sure, but in JR's post he made no mention of involving faculty in regards to holds.

This is complete conjecture, but any chance Harvard is expecting to move into the number one spot in the rankings? This would explain why they are offering less seats if they expect to move up and that could make more people who got into Yale also choose Harvard over Yale.


Doubtful. Yale's peer reviews make it a clear number one, even Harvard's numbers being significantly above Yale's wouldn't make USNWR budge. Not to mention taking a smaller class would have to be a broader-scale institutional change, not one that stemmed from the admissions office.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:We have no way of knowing for sure, but in JR's post he made no mention of involving faculty in regards to holds.

This is complete conjecture, but any chance Harvard is expecting to move into the number one spot in the rankings? This would explain why they are offering less seats if they expect to move up and that could make more people who got into Yale also choose Harvard over Yale.


Doubtful. Yale's peer reviews make it a clear number one, even Harvard's numbers being significantly above Yale's wouldn't make USNWR budge. Not to mention taking a smaller class would have to be a broader-scale institutional change, not one that stemmed from the admissions office.


I wasn't saying Harvard would end up with a smaller class size... I was saying their yield would go up if they moved to number 1, so they would make less offers to get the same class size.

Someone else already said overtaking Yale is almost impossible by PM, I agree with the reasoning. They also brought to my attention it was more likely Stanford overtakes Harvard. That could also explain the holds. They may be worried about falling a spot and don't want to waitlist a number of applicants that they may need to come if others choose to switch to the higher ranked Stanford.

This is just idle conjecture on my part. I have no idea what the point of being held is, especially this late in the game. It seems they are scared of upsetting a large amount of borderline applicants for some reason (otherwise why not just waitlist us?)... And at the beginning of this cycle JR seemed to want to distance Harvard from postponing decisions - and now that is all they have done.

Just let me in JR then I can just tell everyone being on hold was a great place to be.. :wink:

User avatar
eattrucks
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby eattrucks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 pm

More rejections coming in on LSN today.

No one else seems to consider it as meaningful as I do that we keep seeing rejections with no new acceptances, and very few holds. There may be more spots available in the end.

gatordude94
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby gatordude94 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:33 pm

eattrucks wrote: No one else seems to consider it as meaningful as I do that we keep seeing rejections with no new acceptances, and very few holds. There may be more spots available in the end.


I certainly hope you're right.

User avatar
cahesu
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby cahesu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Has anyone here notified Harvard of impending scholarship deadlines? I have a deadline of April 16th, and I'm wondering how, if at all, I should tell them.

As far as I can tell, the deadline requires a deposit, but would not require me to withdraw my app from somewhere from which I have not heard.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Held By Not YLS Club - 2010

Postby gymboree » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:54 am

How quickly will my typing H-a-r-v-a-r-d be replaced with Not YLS?

edit: ah, got it.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Ragged » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Just got a hold email. Its a nice surprise....

Both stats below medians, no JR1, nothing new.... should I bother with LOCI and extra LOR (already sent 3)?

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:03 pm

held today also. no jr1.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:10 pm

this is a dumb question, but how do you send an additional LOR to a school on the LSAC site? do you just "assign" a new letter?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Unitas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:11 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:this is a dumb question, but how do you send an additional LOR to a school on the LSAC site? do you just "assign" a new letter?


Yep, just assign it and it will send next time LSAC sends a package to the school, I think Harvard was every Monday, but not sure... For Harvard they prefer LOCI on paper, but will take e-mails as long as no attachment is used.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Unitas wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:this is a dumb question, but how do you send an additional LOR to a school on the LSAC site? do you just "assign" a new letter?


Yep, just assign it and it will send next time LSAC sends a package to the school, I think Harvard was every Monday, but not sure... For Harvard they prefer LOCI on paper, but will take e-mails as long as no attachment is used.


thanks.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, cantexplaingottago, christinaxcarrie, Long shot hero, pantsuitchic, Pozzo and 15 guests