Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legalnoeagle

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:42 am

Checking in---held 3/23. Conventional wisdom say we're doomed to the WL?

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Checking in---held 3/23. Conventional wisdom say we're doomed to the WL?

Absolutely no way to tell. I'm going to keep hope alive as long as I can in the meantime.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:17 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Checking in---held 3/23. Conventional wisdom say we're doomed to the WL?

I initially thought so too, but waitlist notifications will probably be going out in mid-April and it's already getting to the end of March. My question is, why bother sending us hold notifications 2-3 weeks before we would get the WL email anyway?

(edit: This holds true for all of you. I personally have zero hope for myself, but you all seem to have great numbers and/or softs.)
Last edited by blue5385 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm

blue5385 wrote:

I initially thought so too, but waitlist notifications will probably be going out in mid-April and it's already getting to the end of March. My question is, why bother sending us hold notifications 2-3 weeks before we would get the WL email anyway?

Probably because some schools have seat deposit deadlines approaching. The hold e-mail prophetically mentions that it might be wise to put seat deposits down for other schools, if my memory serves me.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:20 pm

blue5385 wrote:

(edit: This holds true for all of you. I personally have zero hope for myself, but you all seem to have great numbers and/or softs.)

Being held with great numbers isn't all that comforting - you wonder whether there was something about you that rubbed them the wrong way and that is detracting from your app in a significant way..

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:22 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Being held with great numbers isn't all that comforting - you wonder whether there was something about you that rubbed them the wrong way and that is detracting from your app in a significant way..

Great numbers at H are the norm rather than the exception though, so I wouldn't worry about there being something wrong with my app if I were held with great numbers.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Probably because some schools have seat deposit deadlines approaching. The hold e-mail prophetically mentions that it might be wise to put seat deposits down for other schools, if my memory serves me.

Bio, you got into Y, right? What are you still doing here? :wink:

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:27 pm

blue5385 wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

Trying to offer sage-like advice :D

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Probably because some schools have seat deposit deadlines approaching. The hold e-mail prophetically mentions that it might be wise to put seat deposits down for other schools, if my memory serves me.

Trying to offer sage-like advice :D

I support that, because whatever you did in your app clearly worked. :)

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:32 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I doubt that's the main reason why (although it might be helpful to applicants with April 1st scholly deadlines). The e-mail specifically says this:

"We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard's final decision."

So that wouldn't really help as far as telling you to put down a seat- by their advice, you'd wait until April to do it. It seems to me like they're looking to make decisions on everyone and send out a big final batch that ends the regular cycle.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I doubt that's the main reason why (although it might be helpful to applicants with April 1st scholly deadlines). The e-mail specifically says this:

"We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard's final decision."

So that wouldn't really help as far as telling you to put down a seat- by their advice, you'd wait until April to do it. It seems to me like they're looking to make decisions on everyone and send out a big final batch that ends the regular cycle.

Makes sense. I hadn't looked at the hold e-mail since getting it way back in January, and forgot exactly what it said. And regarding the underlined, one can only hope that's the case.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

The seat deposit thing just seems like common sense. I don't think it has predictive value one way or the other...maybe HLS just don't want to give the impression that they screwed people out of a seat at another school if they get back to someone in May with a WL or reject.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 pm

^ Agreed- the only really substantive thing we have regarding a timeline is JR's blog post about holds:

--LinkRemoved--

He says 6-8 weeks from Feb. 26th, and it's only been 4. That's the main thing that makes me doubt they're done admitting. That, and LSN counts and %s of admits this cycle vs. last cycle.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:42 pm

invisiblesun wrote:^ Agreed- the only really substantive thing we have regarding a timeline is JR's blog post about holds:

--LinkRemoved--

He says 6-8 weeks from Feb. 26th, and it's only been 4. That's the main thing that makes me doubt they're done admitting. That, and LSN counts and %s of admits this cycle vs. last cycle.

His assessment of held applicants just seems so......meh.

JR wrote:You didn’t do anything wrong. [...] There’s nothing horrendous about your application.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm

blue5385 wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:^ Agreed- the only really substantive thing we have regarding a timeline is JR's blog post about holds:

--LinkRemoved--

JR wrote:You didn’t do anything wrong. [...] There’s nothing horrendous about your application.

Haha, it also depends on the emphasis with which you read it. There's a big difference between reading those enthusiastically and "there's nothing horrendous about your application..."

JR also writes "Hold is a good place to be." Given how many people are on hold (or seem to be, although TLS has a funny way of skewing things), I doubt hold is really a good place to be. Easier to say it's a good place if you're not the one on hold... :P

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:52 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Haha, it also depends on the emphasis with which you read it. There's a big difference between reading those enthusiastically and "there's nothing horrendous about your application..."

JR also writes "Hold is a good place to be." Given how many people are on hold (or seem to be, although TLS has a funny way of skewing things), I doubt hold is really a good place to be. Easier to say it's a good place if you're not the one on hold... :P

True, I guess I can rest assured that I didn't accidentally tell Harvard why I wanted to go to Columbia or something like that.

It's kind of funny, but I actually agree with JR's comment that "Hold is a good place to be." I really, really expected a straight-up ding, so the fact that they're even bothering to re-review my app makes me happy (although I have no clue why they're doing it).

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:37 pm

For those who sent in a LOCI, did you use nice stationery? (pink and scented gives it a little something extra, don't you think?) In all seriousness though, I'm wondering if normal resume paper will suffice or if I need something fancier.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:41 pm

blue5385 wrote:For those who sent in a LOCI, did you use nice stationery? (pink and scented gives it a little something extra, don't you think?) In all seriousness though, I'm wondering if normal resume paper will suffice or if I need something fancier.

I used nicer, thicker, softer paper for the LOCI. They probably won't even notice.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 pm

violaboy wrote:
blue5385 wrote:For those who sent in a LOCI, did you use nice stationery? (pink and scented gives it a little something extra, don't you think?) In all seriousness though, I'm wondering if normal resume paper will suffice or if I need something fancier.

I used nicer, thicker, softer paper for the LOCI. They probably won't even notice.

I think they do and it counts in your favor that you took the effort to make it nice and professional looking. Maybe that's just because I notice those kinds of things myself.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 pm

violaboy wrote:

Mine was scented.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Kretzy wrote:
violaboy wrote:

Mine was scented.

ha, nice one Elle :wink:

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

By that metric, mine was on toilet paper. No, just really thin A4 paper that my department uses here overseas. I just hope it actually arrived...alas.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:46 pm

iminlstrick wrote:By that metric, mine was on toilet paper. No, just really thin A4 paper that my department uses here overseas. I just hope it actually arrived...alas.

+1.... they don't give a damn about how thick your loci paper is

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
iminlstrick wrote:By that metric, mine was on toilet paper. No, just really thin A4 paper that my department uses here overseas. I just hope it actually arrived...alas.

+1.... they don't give a damn about [strike]how thick[/strike] your loci [strike]paper is[/strike]

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:16 pm

I stand corrected

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”