Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Kretzy wrote:Eh, if I were in JR's position, in my first year at HLS, I'd be extra-cautious. There could be small things he doesn't like in the application (for the 175+/3.8+ folks) or lots of things he does like but wants to make sure he can absorb the numbers (for the 172- or 3.8- folks).


Fair enough. I agree that this whole "first year on the job" must be influencing his actions. I know a few people in real life -and tons I observe online- who are absolutely going crazy over this wait.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby lz06 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm

$1.99 wrote:my numbers dont stand a chance against monsters like 177/3.9 lol


lol +1

User avatar
Havaianas
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Havaianas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Eh, if I were in JR's position, in my first year at HLS, I'd be extra-cautious. There could be small things he doesn't like in the application (for the 175+/3.8+ folks) or lots of things he does like but wants to make sure he can absorb the numbers (for the 172- or 3.8- folks).


please absorb me JR:)

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Havaianas wrote:please absorb me JR:)


Pretty sure he's a happily married man :mrgreen:

ranovr32
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
Havaianas wrote:please absorb me JR:)


Pretty sure he's a happily married man :mrgreen:


...............
I see two surefire rejections

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Quick question guys,

I'm in the process of getting 2 LORs from very prominent professors. Do you feel after being Held it would be advantageous to send both of them in (that would take me to 4 LORs) or should I keep one of them in case I get waitlisted? If I send both and get the waitlist, I can still get another LOR but it wouldn't be from as prominent an individual as either of the two I am waiting on.

Right now I'm leaning towards sending both and shooting for the straight admit, but your advice would be appreciated!

muahawhawhaw
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby muahawhawhaw » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 pm

TheWire wrote:Quick question guys,

I'm in the process of getting 2 LORs from very prominent professors. Do you feel after being Held it would be advantageous to send both of them in (that would take me to 4 LORs) or should I keep one of them in case I get waitlisted? If I send both and get the waitlist, I can still get another LOR but it wouldn't be from as prominent an individual as either of the two I am waiting on.

Right now I'm leaning towards sending both and shooting for the straight admit, but your advice would be appreciated!


Well, before sending them, are you sure that those letters would say anything substantial about you that hasn't alredy been said in earlier LORs? If not, I'd think twice about sendin them... I'd rather not annoy the adcomm with more paperwork that doesn't make me look any better than before.

... and making any guess as to whether another LOR following a wait-list will help would be near impossible given this is JR's first year (who knows how he'll use the wait list and if anything will help you climb out of it?). Has JR stated anything specifically about how he views additional materials sent following a waitlist? I'd be curious to know.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:
TheWire wrote:Quick question guys,

I'm in the process of getting 2 LORs from very prominent professors. Do you feel after being Held it would be advantageous to send both of them in (that would take me to 4 LORs) or should I keep one of them in case I get waitlisted? If I send both and get the waitlist, I can still get another LOR but it wouldn't be from as prominent an individual as either of the two I am waiting on.

Right now I'm leaning towards sending both and shooting for the straight admit, but your advice would be appreciated!


Well, before sending them, are you sure that those letters would say anything substantial about you that hasn't alredy been said in earlier LORs? If not, I'd think twice about sendin them... I'd rather not annoy the adcomm with more paperwork that doesn't make me look any better than before.

... and making any guess as to whether another LOR following a wait-list will help would be near impossible given this is JR's first year (who knows how he'll use the wait list and if anything will help you climb out of it?). Has JR stated anything specifically about how he views additional materials sent following a waitlist? I'd be curious to know.


I'm not sure but the Held e-mail specifically says that additional LORs are welcome. I got the feeling that the e-mail was implying that sending anything that may be beneficial to your chances is a good idea...

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby swimbrad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:04 am

Send them both - I'd try to do everything humanly possible to avoid the WL, b/c (at least I'm trying really hard to believe) it will be easier to get "un-held" than off the waitlist

brennanlives
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby brennanlives » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 pm

swimbrad wrote:
brennanlives wrote:held today. womp womp.


Archer fan? - great show BTW

ps - sorry about the hold, but welcome in


thanks! haha and no, a friend of mine always says that, but the show looks neat.

ps - hoping this will be a short wait for all of us...

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby violaboy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 pm

Transcript processed. They have everything. Now just the waiting game.

brennanlives
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby brennanlives » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

violaboy wrote:Transcript processed. They have everything. Now just the waiting game.


good luck! still working on getting an LOCI/LOR together

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby gymboree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm

My newest LOR posted to the system yesterday and I just sent my LOCI. 8)

Remember, we may have quite a wait in front of us, "We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard's final decision. Thank you for your patience and your interest. We will contact you as soon as the next decision on your application has been made."

I'm going to try to sit back and relax about this one.

Good luck everyone!

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby violaboy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 pm

gymboree wrote:My newest LOR posted to the system yesterday and I just sent my LOCI. 8)

Remember, we may have quite a wait in front of us, "We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard's final decision. Thank you for your patience and your interest. We will contact you as soon as the next decision on your application has been made."

I'm going to try to sit back and relax about this one.

Good luck everyone!


I'm going to relax too. I have other great options, so it's not like all is lost.

MTC87
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby MTC87 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:18 pm

anyone get a JR1 after receiving the hold email? is that weird?

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby PoorOrpheus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:23 pm

MTC87 wrote:anyone get a JR1 after receiving the hold email? is that weird?

DID YOU?! Forget weird! That's a GOOD thing. You might be the first if you did.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28064
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:24 pm

MTC87 wrote:anyone get a JR1 after receiving the hold email? is that weird?


Not many JR1s period are going out. I'd assume they're still looking through late applications, and will then review all the holds. I would expect some of us will hear something March.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Reinhardt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Anyone think it's a good idea to visit while held as a flesh and blood LOCI? Sorry if this has been asked already.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28064
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 am

msoftceo wrote:Anyone think it's a good idea to visit while held as a flesh and blood LOCI? Sorry if this has been asked already.


Yes.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 am

What about what Asha said about some WLers being too eager?

User avatar
sikwitt
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:39 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby sikwitt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 pm

held today, no JR1, URM

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 am

sikwitt wrote:held today, no JR1, URM


Your hold at least shows the rest of us that HLS is actually doing something behind the scenes...

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby PoorOrpheus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm

One of our very own received a JR1 today (info via the Harvard 2010) thread! Also, JR directly addressed the hold situation here: --LinkRemoved--

I might be reading too much into it but it looks like holds turn into WLs if they are not accepted.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:One of our very own received a JR1 today (info via the Harvard 2010) thread! Also, JR directly addressed the hold situation here: --LinkRemoved--

I might be reading too much into it but it looks like holds turn into WLs if they are not accepted.


He says "some" of the holds will turn into waitlists; I actually think this means some of the holds will probably be outright rejected.

This was a helpful rundown of the Hold process though from him. I appreciate it.

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby PoorOrpheus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Kretzy wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:One of our very own received a JR1 today (info via the Harvard 2010) thread! Also, JR directly addressed the hold situation here: --LinkRemoved--

I might be reading too much into it but it looks like holds turn into WLs if they are not accepted.


He says "some" of the holds will turn into waitlists; I actually think this means some of the holds will probably be outright rejected.

This was a helpful rundown of the Hold process though from him. I appreciate it.

I just re-read it to a family member and realized I only saw what I wanted to see. ;) But yes, it's much clearer now.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”